Expanded replay in 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Expanded replay in 2013

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-baseball-expanded-replay-20130217,0,2099476.story

Torre said that MLB will not instate expanded replay for the 2013 season BUT in 2014 replay will be expanded to include fair/foul and trapped catches. Plays at the plate may also be included (they should be anyway) as mentioned in the article:

"Torre, who is Selig's point man on the issue, said he understood the commissioner's oft-stated intention to broaden the replay system to include calls of fair balls, foul balls and trapped balls.

However, in the wake of last fall's playoffs, Torre said it became evident that expanded replay should be all-encompassing rather than incremental. He cited one play in particular -- a blown call in the American League championship series, in which Omar Infante of the Detroit Tigers was called safe at second base when replays clearly indicated he had been tagged out.

"We're not going to get caught in the trap of doing something if we don’t feel what we're doing is enough," Torre said."

I think this can be effectively implemented without being time consuming. Only good things can come from this, getting the call right should trump anything else. I am excited to see this take place starting in 2014.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Expanded replay in 2013

In response to mef429's comment:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-baseball-expanded-replay-20130217,0,2099476.story

Torre said that MLB will not instate expanded replay for the 2013 season BUT in 2014 replay will be expanded to include fair/foul and trapped catches. Plays at the plate may also be included (they should be anyway) as mentioned in the article:

"Torre, who is Selig's point man on the issue, said he understood the commissioner's oft-stated intention to broaden the replay system to include calls of fair balls, foul balls and trapped balls.

However, in the wake of last fall's playoffs, Torre said it became evident that expanded replay should be all-encompassing rather than incremental. He cited one play in particular -- a blown call in the American League championship series, in which Omar Infante of the Detroit Tigers was called safe at second base when replays clearly indicated he had been tagged out.

"We're not going to get caught in the trap of doing something if we don’t feel what we're doing is enough," Torre said."

I think this can be effectively implemented without being time consuming. Only good things can come from this, getting the call right should trump anything else. I am excited to see this take place starting in 2014.

I really see no need for every umpire to go into a video room to go over a call. It takes way too long IMO. There should be a replay umpire upstairs with every possible view at his disposal right in front of him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If MLB decides to expand instant replay, then it should be implemented only during the playoffs. 

Compared to football or basketball, baseball is a slow game.   The last thing I want during a regular season game is umpires looking at instant replay for several minutes seeing if the ball was fair or foul. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

I really see no need for every umpire to go into a video room to go over a call. It takes way too long IMO. There should be a replay umpire upstairs with every possible view at his disposal right in front of him.

i would imagine the system will be like this. Or at least it will end up like that. Add another umpire in a booth who has access to the video feeds. Then he simply reviews the play and relays his findings to the crew chief.

@ice: how much time is wasted when managers come out and argue with an ump? especially if they throw a tantrum and get ejected. While a manager is pleading his case, the Ump in charge of the video can be reviewing the footage and if the crew chief grants the manager a replay then the answer will be almost immediate.

It can be implemented in a way that is not time consuming at all. Right now, when the umps go downstairs and gather to review a homerun is quite time consuming. All that isn't necessary if another ump is added who already is watching with a plethora of angles and can quickly relay the decision.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I hate replay. I don't like it in football, and I like it even less in baseball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I hate replay. I don't like it in football, and I like it even less in baseball.

Speaking of football, remember this rule?  If the road team complained to the refs of too much noise from the home crowd, then the home team loses a timeout. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

not so sure your theory has any validity. The yankees know as well as any team that subjective calls are a double edged sword. It gives and it takes away, i doubt there are stats out there but i would bet that (based on the law of averages) each team is screw'd over as much as it is given a gift.

The yankees most recently got the short end of the stick in the ALCS. So they, more than anyone, would want expanded replay. Not that that call in particular would have changed anything.... they were DoA as it was.

the point is, it took long enough to get replay just for home run calls... If they decide to expand replay they want to make sure it is done right and implemented properly. If they rush to get the system laid out and it is not effecient and the average game goes from 3 hours to 3 3/4 - 4 hours then MLB is gonig to have a problem.

No need to be angry that it is happening in 2014 and not 6 years ago.. at least they are doing something about it. would you rather they never attempt to level the playing field? (in terms of subjective calls)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Ridiculous to put expanded replay in place in 2014 since it should have been instated years ago. There's no reason why they all have to run off the field when there could easily be someone watching the game -- like everyone else in the universe -- that can see what happened a second after it happened.

I hate the fact that Torre is involved with the conversation as the last thing the Yankees want is instant replay. Their legacy would be quite different if baseball even had this in place just in 2009 with the opening of their cathedral -- not to mention even years before. There has to be a reason they keep dragging this out since it has NOTHING to do with time.

Actually, as a NYY fan, the sooner, the better; so you would have to find a different excuse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

My issue with it is on plays where the umpire's call interrupts the play.  Seems like it could get messy.  I'm refering to plays that are catches or traps and there is advancement of runners afterwards and/or plays made at the bases where decisions were predicated on the original umpire's call.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

My issue with it is on plays where the umpire's call interrupts the play.  Seems like it could get messy.  I'm refering to plays that are catches or traps and there is advancement of runners afterwards and/or plays made at the bases where decisions were predicated on the original umpire's call.  

good point, the same thing happens on current replay calls. For example if a play is originally called a home run only to be overturned. I think, as it stands now, the umpire makes the decision on how far the batter can advance. How they made that decision i have no idea, i guess take the flight time, player speed and defensive positioning into account and make a general jugdment on where the batter might be if the play was not interrupted. So if Jacoby and Papi are in the same situation, Ells may end up on 3rd as a result whereas papi might only end up on second. I'm pretty sure it works like that anyway, I don't think it turns into an automatic double or something like that... but i don't know for sure.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I don't like instant replay and never will. It's ok to use it to make sure the hot-dog vendor doesn't short-change the fans, but that's where I draw the line.