Expectation Hyperbole

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Expectation Hyperbole

The RedSox were forced to over-spend this winter to replace the production they lost by not retaining Beltre/VMART. As a result, the press saw this as coupling Boston with NY in regards to payroll expenditure.

Suddenly, NY is supposed to be this underdog and Boston fan expectation shot up like mercury on a record-setting summer day.

Now, the team is simply following tradition in that they have never been able to rise to unrealistic expectations. I honestly hope the spoiled fan-base continues to cry in their milk. It may very well allow this team to start playing like they are capable of, instead of playing as if they are afraid to lose.

NY is the team that has the greatest revenue.
    They still outspend every other team in baseball.
    I strongly suggest fans get a grip on reality. Don't swallow the hyperbole of perceived expectation. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Expectation Hyperbole

what does nyy spending have to do with droping 2 at home vs seatle

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexWrecks. Show TexWrecks's posts

Let me see if I can follow the logic in this post:

The RS are playing poorly because fan expectation is set very high by the media this season?

NYY have an incredible revenue stream and therefore fans should not buy into unrealistic expectations because the Yankees have already spent more than the RS?

Tighten your argument up and resubmit.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's always been this way: when we expect them to win: they don't, and by the time we give up on them: they surprise us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dangerfeld. Show Dangerfeld's posts

I think that Harness is sipping too much of the vino.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexWrecks. Show TexWrecks's posts

In Response to Re: Expectation Hyperbole:
    [QUOTE]I, honestly, think it's team chemistry. New players added, players who are back from injuries and didn't play part of last season. Everyone is under pressure to perform, and may be in their own world (or mindset). What this team needs is a goofball -- a Millar (or dare I say it, Damon) type player. Someone who brings the team together and "lightens" the mood. I know it sounds naive, but they need to put the fun back into playing, and, more importantly, playing TOGETHER. JMO
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I can see what you're saying but I really think team chemistry is wayyy overrated. The assumtion is usually that good team chemistry leads to winning- I suspect that it's the other way around: winning leads to good team chemistry

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look what "chemistry" did for the Yanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Look what "chemistry" did for the Yanks.

LOL

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from respectful2others. Show respectful2others's posts

[QUOTE]I, honestly, think it's team chemistry. New players added, players who are back from injuries and didn't play part of last season. Everyone is under pressure to perform, and may be in their own world (or mindset). What this team needs is a goofball -- a Millar (or dare I say it, Damon) type player. Someone who brings the team together and "lightens" the mood. I know it sounds naive, but they need to put the fun back into playing, and, more importantly, playing TOGETHER. JMO

Kim, that is an interesting theory but I am not sure that I buy into it.  in 2009 the yankees picked up Sabathia, Burnett and Teixiera and in thier first season they won the world series together.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

There is no shame in getting shut out by Felix Hernandez; he is one of the best starting pitcher in the game...

oh, wait...Fister?

...and I didn't even know her.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Look what "chemistry" did for the Yanks.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

A little surprising coming from you, and it's obvious why. I thought you were better than succumbing to sour grapes, especially in April. SB would be proud.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I think that Harness is sipping too much of the vino.
    Posted by Dangerfeld[/QUOTE]in vino veritas.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexWrecks. Show TexWrecks's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Expectation Hyperbole : I guess all I have to say is 2004, and they weren't winning in the ALCS. You can't possibly say that team chemistry didn't play a part in their comeback. That team was all about team chemistry. It made them champions. And Moon's comment is fall-down funny.

Well if team chemistry is indeed critical, and the 2004 RS had so much of it- why did they lose ANY games in that ALCS? I don't buy it. You're buying into a highly romanticized version of that 2004 victory.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And the curse.

A little surprising coming from you, and it's obvious why. I thought you were better than that.

Lighten up.

I also have said the Sox wins are tainted as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]And the curse. A little surprising coming from you, and it's obvious why. I thought you were better than that. Lighten up. I also have said the Sox wins are tainted as well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Well I haven't seen that, but your word is good, so OK. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This isn't meant to be a Smiley-Beni reproduction thread.
    It's more of a reality check. It's about tempering expectation and not swallowing the BS the press peddled this winter.

As for NY; yes, they are expected to win the most games because they have the resources to outbid any team and buy up the best talent. Anybody who doesn't equate talent level to games won is delusional.

I do think the RedSox are trying to play up to unrealistic expectation. Anybody who has followed this team through the years knows their traditional MO: They will go to any extreme to become underdogs once they fail to live up to expectation.
    Then...watch out!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well I haven't seen that, but your word is good, so OK.

Yeah, softy roasted me after the Mannyroid news came out, and I said our rings were tainted.

Plus, it was really meant as joke. It's like a morgue in here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

On a positive note, I think Salty did well today...offense + defense....he almost threw out Ichiro with a great throw.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottsdaleLarry-. Show ScottsdaleLarry-'s posts

[QUOTE]On a positive note, I think Salty did well today...offense + defense....he almost threw out Ichiro with a great throw.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

He almost went 4 for 4 in every game

but he didn't

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottsdaleLarry-. Show ScottsdaleLarry-'s posts

I do think the RedSox are trying to play up to unrealistic expectation.

What exactly are your expectations for a 170 million team?