Expectation Hyperbole

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottsdaleLarry-. Show ScottsdaleLarry-'s posts

Re: Expectation Hyperbole

As for NY; yes, they are expected to win the most games because they have the resources to outbid any team and buy up the best talent. Anybody who doesn't equate talent level to games won is delusional.

Well said

That's why the sox are in 2nd place right now

wait...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

It's April, the starting pitching will take this team places. Stupid thread, and the most stupid comment is "forced to over-spend". No one forced Theo to spend 142M for Crawford.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

In Response to Re: Expectation Hyperbole:
    [QUOTE]As for NY; yes, they are expected to win the most games because they have the resources to outbid any team and buy up the best talent. Anybody who doesn't equate talent level to games won is delusional. I do think the RedSox are trying to play up to unrealistic expectation. Anybody who has followed this team through the years knows their traditional MO: They will go to any extreme to become underdogs once they fail to live up to expectation. Then...watch out! -- Harness --------------------------------------------------- Well said.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

shouldn't the redsox win the second most games in MLB then?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

ScottsdaleLarry- sounds an awful lot like Florida Babe. And he uses hyphens the same as well. Just sayin'.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottsdaleLarry-. Show ScottsdaleLarry-'s posts

ScottsdaleLarry- sounds an awful lot like Florida Babe

Haven't you noticed that every letter looks a lot like yours too.

Just sayin'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Yes, Salty is looking better.
    2) Ellsbury is getting on base more.
    3) Our pitching is still looking fine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]It's April, the starting pitching will take this team places. Stupid thread, and the most stupid comment is "forced to over-spend". No one forced Theo to spend 142M for Crawford.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

That's right, clown: forced to over-spend. It happens when having to outbid a team that raises the anti. The alternatives to signing CC were seen as riskier than over-expenditure.

Now, tomorrow, I fully expect 3 of your brilliant one-game sampler threads of trashing Wake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottsdaleLarry-. Show ScottsdaleLarry-'s posts

That's right, forced to over-spend.

Sounds like boy wonder is not so smart after all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I do think the RedSox are trying to play up to unrealistic expectation. What exactly are your expectations for a 170 million team?
    Posted by ScottsdaleLarry-[/QUOTE]

A team whose spending/revenue intake is second to a divisional counterpart is seen to finish 2nd. Over the last decade+, it's taken 89-92 wins to secure the WC.
    That means the team needs to go 80-56 (.588) to win 91 games.

Not easy given the depth of their division, but doable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think Kim is basically right. We are hitting just over .200 with RISP. We are Tight. Anxious. Maybe we need to think less and have more fun.

Let's be honest here also. The 2004 team was loose but they also had 2 guys who were superhuman that year, Ramirez and Ortiz.

I'm not recommending steroids ok. What I am saying is that often just 1 or 2 guys who lead the way can be huge in this sort of situation. That is what Gonzalez is all about. That is why they got him. We need a guy who puts fear in the other team's pitching staff and Gonzalez should be able to start doing that once he starts knocking HR out of the park with regularity.

ARod still does it. Cano even. Teixeira can also. We need some of our guys to start stepping up and knock the ball out of the park. A few HR and the opposing staff starts missing their spots from nervousness. Apprehension. We need what Kim described but we also need some boppers to start bopping.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottsdaleLarry-. Show ScottsdaleLarry-'s posts

Anybody who doesn't equate talent level to games won is delusional.

Which team is more talented, the sox or the yanks?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's pretty close, and their records will be close by the end of the season too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottsdaleLarry-. Show ScottsdaleLarry-'s posts

Not easy given the depth of their division, but doable.

or the sox are making it look harder than what it is

How many other 170 million teams are there in their division, let alone the league?

money = success and talent level translate into games won

Ain't that right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

That's right, clown: forced to over-spend. It happens when having to outbid a team that raises the anti. The alternatives to signing CC were seen as riskier than over-expenditure.

"When having to outbid"? Do you realize who stupid you are? Obviously not. They didn't have to raise the ante to get a player they didn't even need. That  second sentence is so stupid it's not ever worthy of a response.

Now, tomorrow, I fully expect 3 of your brilliant one-game sampler threads of trashing Wake.

A large part of 2009, all of 2010, and 2011 to date is not a "one-game sampler". I fully expect you to claim that a one-game sampler means that old and fat and bad pitching Wakefield sitting on the de facto DL was justified from his blue moon spot start.

Didn't you love how Eck was impressed with the movement and control Oki had in a close game for 1 and 2/3 innings? And how he noted how good Oki has been for the Red Sox. They showed Wakefield sitting in the pen, doing what he does best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Kim, that is an interesting theory but I am not sure that I buy into it. in 2009 the yankees picked up Sabathia, Burnett and Teixiera and in thier first season they won the world series together. --- respectful2others ----------------------------------------------- What's up with your name? Isn't that part of Beni's sig line? Will the aliases mocking Beni ever end?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Kim,

Imitation is the highest form of ....  (flattery) 

If these fellas think they're making fun of Beni, they only build him up by being copycattish (If that's a word).

But to the more important point ... when food is sparce, animals eat all sorts of things to survive. Including their own.  This April has been cause for this type of behavior among us, for the fear that there is not enough on the bone.

I know you aren't getting this way, but we have to relax.  It's been a troubled month, but not without good signs.

BTW, I agree with your chemistry idea.  I loved the Idiots.  It was the first time I saw the WHOLE team having fun.  It was a blast to watch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If the team felt they didn't need Crawford, they wouldn't have pursued him.
    Gee, how nimble are you not to acknowledge that!
    He hasn't hit yet, and the team hasn't begun to win. Wanna take any bets that both will change, and not by co-incidence.

You are getting hot in the panties over Oki based on 1 & 2/3 frames? Talk about stupidity. Did you actually watch his outing in game one vs. Seattle? Did you? He walked two of the first three hitters. Then gives up a hot-shot grounder headed into centerfield. Only Pedroia's terrific range allowed the team to turn two, instead of one in  and 1st/3rd.

Oki will forever be remembered for 2007, and rightfully so. But he's on fumes in the A.L. He'd better off in the retirement league as an unknown. He's blocking Hill from a deserved lefty spoty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

If the team felt they didn't need Crawford, they wouldn't have pursued him.

They also "felt" they needed Renteria, dumb downer.

Crawford returning to the bottom levels of his career averages doesn't justify the signing, dumb downer.

As for Oki, it's like golf. To be a good player, you have to score when you aren't swinging well. Oki did that, in his last outing, and came back with his A-game in his next start.

Wakefield is the resutls of good ole boy mentaility that you share with many Red Sox fans. He stinks, and he has stunk for a long time. Only luck will keep old Wakefield from getting hammered in his return from the de facto DL.

I see our brilliant leader is going to stop tax breaks for "big oil" but not "big labor". Won't that make $4 a gallon prices fall. Air Force One needs to convert to a force of wind power gliders, and make sure the tires are inflated properly. On the days when there are head winds, our leader can peddle a wind cycle on his re-election stump speech tour to the 57 States.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Expectation Hyperbole:
    [QUOTE]The RedSox were forced to over-spend this winter to replace the production they lost by not retaining Beltre/VMART. As a result, the press saw this as coupling Boston with NY in regards to payroll expenditure. Suddenly, NY is supposed to be this underdog and Boston fan expectation shot up like mercury on a record-setting summer day.

Now, the team is simply following tradition in that they have never been able to rise to unrealistic expectations.

I honestly hope the spoiled fan-base continues to cry in their milk.

It may very well allow this team to start playing like they are capable of, instead of playing as if they are afraid to lose. NY is the team that has the greatest revenue. They still outspend every other team in baseball. I strongly suggest fans get a grip on reality. Don't swallow the hyperbole of perceived expectation. 
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

June swoon .... applies to Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox ... in such a way that is is no longer actually a reference to a time period on the calendar, but the section of the baseball season we tend to blow up.   Certainly speaks to tradition.  

But this isn't the end of the season.  It remains, no matter what doomsdayers may say, the beginning.  April swoon??  It is far too early, even in the ALE, to give up.  It's wayyyy too soon to panic. 

You have no need to fear, friend.  With or without your expressed desire, the whining will continue.  Sad, really.  They will only be able to enjoy the season when we win in the end.  What a waste of an entire summer.  No wonder they get sour.  They expect the worst and when it threatens, they commiserate with the miserable in their misery.  The cycle feeds on itself.  THEY make it more significant than the good.  Never will get better until they choose to change their point of view.

I get upset.  I get angry.  I whine.  But I can't see it as a way of life!  Or as a way of viewing life.

Now THAT is horrd.

Back to expectations.

Mine are firmly stated below.

But I also realize that every game and every play don't make or break a 162 game, with 9-innings (usually), 54 at bats (usually minimum), 200 plus pitch game, season .......

I don't know if we were forced to over spend.  I'll say no to that as of yet.

As a matter of fact, I won't pass judgment on that until 5 or 6 - maybe 7 - seasons down the road.

I expect that many fine seasons.   That is what I expect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]If the team felt they didn't need Crawford, they wouldn't have pursued him. They also "felt" they needed Renteria, dumb downer. Crawford returning to the bottom levels of his career averages doesn't justify the signing, dumb downer. As for Oki, it's like golf. To be a good player, you have to score when you aren't swinging well. Oki did that, in his last outing, and came back with his A-game in his next start. Wakefield is the resutls of good ole boy mentaility that you share with many Red Sox fans. He stinks, and he has stunk for a long time. Only luck will keep old Wakefield from getting hammered in his return from the de facto DL. I see our brilliant leader is going to stop tax breaks for "big oil" but not "big labor". Won't that make $4 a gallon prices fall. Air Force One needs to convert to a force of wind power gliders, and make sure the tires are inflated properly. On the days when there are head winds, our leader can peddle a wind cycle on his re-election stump speech tour to the 57 States.

And like golf, there are high leverage moments in baseball.
    Oki used to be iron-in-his-veins in these situations. Now, he is a corroded artery. Tito doesn't trust him anymore with the game in the balance. This year he's been used to face one hitter out of 10 in such situations.

Last year, he excelled in janitorial service.
    But in high leverage? Opponents ssssssssssslammed him to a .413 BA. and an embarrassing .500 Babip.

He's now a "high leverage garbage innings eater". He can't start and he isn't trustworthy with the game on the line.
    That means he's blocking Hill, who has the potential to be a situational lefty in critical game situations.

Rent-a-ria was a NL bust. Crawford has A. L. East pedigree.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]what does nyy spending have to do with droping 2 at home vs seatle
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

GM zac ...

Never understand why comments seemingly against the nyy elicit repsonses from you ...

:o)

Wee weee weeeeee

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]This isn't meant to be a Smiley-Beni reproduction thread. It's more of a reality check. It's about tempering expectation and not swallowing the BS the press peddled this winter. As for NY; yes, they are expected to win the most games because they have the resources to outbid any team and buy up the best talent. Anybody who doesn't equate talent level to games won is delusional. I do think the RedSox are trying to play up to unrealistic expectation. Anybody who has followed this team through the years knows their traditional MO: They will go to any extreme to become underdogs once they fail to live up to expectation. Then...watch out!
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Good point. Nothing shocks me in baseball, but 2 occurrences would be very surprising:

1 - The RS don't make the playoffs
    2 - They don't add a 3rd catcher, even a minor piece, or even if they have to bring up Exposito, ready or not.

P.S. Love the thread title.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I think Kim is basically right. We are hitting just over .200 with RISP. We are Tight. Anxious. Maybe we need to think less and have more fun. Let's be honest here also. The 2004 team was loose but they also had 2 guys who were superhuman that year, Ramirez and Ortiz. I'm not recommending steroids ok. What I am saying is that often just 1 or 2 guys who lead the way can be huge in this sort of situation. That is what Gonzalez is all about. That is why they got him. We need a guy who puts fear in the other team's pitching staff and Gonzalez should be able to start doing that once he starts knocking HR out of the park with regularity. ARod still does it. Cano even. Teixeira can also. We need some of our guys to start stepping up and knock the ball out of the park. A few HR and the opposing staff starts missing their spots from nervousness. Apprehension. We need what Kim described but we also need some boppers to start bopping.  
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Just the opposite; they need to shorten their stroke in order to try to get into a groove. Then, when the weather heats up, they can start bopping.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]It's pretty close, and their records will be close by the end of the season too.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

This is contrary to what others said during the pre-season; that the RS would win in a cakewalk; when I mentioned the Vegas Odds were close, I got slammed for it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Not easy given the depth of their division, but doable. or the sox are making it look harder than what it is How many other 170 million teams are there in their division, let alone the league?  money = success and talent level translate into games won Ain't that right?
    Posted by ScottsdaleLarry-[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not; look at the Orioles and Rangers as examples, the Moneyball A's as counter examples (unless you were being facetious)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]That's right, clown : forced to over-spend. It happens when having to outbid a team that raises the anti. The alternatives to signing CC were seen as riskier than over-expenditure. "When having to outbid"? Do you realize who stupid you are? Obviously not. They didn't have to raise the ante to get a player they didn't even need. That  second sentence is so stupid it's not ever worthy of a response. Now, tomorrow, I fully expect 3 of your brilliant one-game sampler threads of trashing Wake. A large part of 2009, all of 2010, and 2011 to date is not a "one-game sampler". I fully expect you to claim that a one-game sampler means that old and fat and bad pitching Wakefield sitting on the de facto DL was justified from his blue moon spot start.   Didn't you love how Eck was impressed with the movement and control Oki had in a close game for 1 and 2/3 innings? And how he noted how good Oki has been for the Red Sox. They showed Wakefield sitting in the pen, doing what he does best.

Not that this says anything, but if he ever gets cut, he would most likely get picked up by someone else -- including the pitching thin Yankees. He is still a viable big league pitcher.