Expectations as Red Sox host Mariners...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Expectations as Red Sox host Mariners...

... in a three-game series starting Friday at Fenway Park.

The Red Sox face the back end of the Seattle rotation in Jason Vargas and Doug Fister before confronting reigning Cy Young Award winner Felix Hernandez on Sunday. Last season Vargas and Fister posted WAR* of 2.6 and 2.9, respectively, but the pair are a combined 1-5 this year.

The Red Sox counter with Daisuke Matsuzaka, John Lackey and Clay Buchholz.

Seattle is coming off a three-game sweep at Detroit where the Mariners outscored the Tigers 24-6. The light-hitting Mariners have scored 102 runs in 26 games while the Red Sox have scored 103 runs in 24 games. Seattle has a team ERA of 4.10 while Boston has a team ERA of 4.39.

Each team has 11 wins, but Seattle has 15 losses to Boston's 13 losses. Texas and Cleveland swept each team. The Mariners are 4-3 against the Oakland Athletics while the Red Sox are 1-1 against the A's. The Mariners had a seven-game losing streak while the Red Sox had a six-game losing streak.

Unlike the Red Sox, the Mariners entered the 2011 season accompanied by low expectations.

What are the chances that the Red Sox will walk off the field Sunday with a season record above .500?

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Expectations as Red Sox host Mariners...

3 game sweep, although felix is gonna be tough sunday

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In a series where we have to face Felix, I'd be quite content with 2 out of 3.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I expect the Mariners to take advantage of playing in a smaller venue. Safeco averages are deceptive.
    They beat their foes by lulling them to sleep. The key to beating them is to stay awake!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I don't know, Hill, what are the chances the Padres could afford to extend AGon?

My expectations are 2-1, over the hapless loser franchise known as the Seattle Mariners.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I wanna sweep.  I wanna get to .500 and get one game above.  However my expectations are to win the series. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

I'm predicting two out of three. 

In a semi-related note, this is a pretty big start for Clay.  His curve and change have looked better as of late, but he's still not locating his four-seamer low enough in the zone to induce ground balls.  Plus, his slider mysteriously turned into a cutter per pitch f/x at some point between his second and third starts.  A pitch classification issue might not sound like a big deal, but it's essentially the same pitch only with less horizontal and vertical break.  Instead if it cutting in on the hands of LHB at the last second, it's hanging out over the plate a little more and getting hit.  His release point appears to be a little higher on his pitches, and it looks like he's opening up his front shoulder a little which is causing a drop in his velocity.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Two of three.  For the homestand I would hope for 7-4.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox just went 6-3 on the road, including 4-0 at LA.  But this is a funny team, so I think 2-1 is a reasonable expectation against the Mariners. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I have no expectations.  Just gonna watch the games and root root root for the home team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

"Cuz' two outta three ain't bad."
    Loaf

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In Response to Re: Expectations as Red Sox host Mariners...:
    [QUOTE]I have no expectations.  Just gonna watch the games and root root root for the home team.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    would to see the sox get some more power and clutch hitting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Expectations as Red Sox host Mariners... : would to see the sox get some more power and clutch hitting.
    Posted by canetime[/QUOTE]

i think the power is starting to flow cane.   looked dead the other night, but the youk homer inning was a nice surge, and then last night gonzo had his power stroke going and even crawford was mashing a little.  i think they are about to start pounding the ball ... not that i have that as an expectation, hehe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Looks like everyone is mailing it in for Sunday. Not much faith there fellas.
    I suppose Wrongway is also planning for that and we will probably see Cameron, Dmac, and Scutaro on Sunday as well.
    Francona might even find an excuse to skip Buchholz's start, opting for Wake instead. Bad hair day maybe?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianeno. Show brianeno's posts

two evenly matched teams; all games should be close.
    but seattle has king felix, so i'll take the mariners 2 games to 1.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]two evenly matched teams; all games should be close. but seattle has king felix, so i'll take the mariners 2 games to 1.
    Posted by brianeno[/QUOTE]
    Count me among the Seattle Mariners fans who disagree ... the Red Sox have the superior team ... but anything can happen in a three-game series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Important to take the first two. Then deal with Felix on Sunday and hope that Buch gets his act together.