Expectations From 4 Game Series With Jays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Expectations From 4 Game Series With Jays

Some are viewing this upcoming series with the Jays as the biggest one yet this season and it very well could be. The Jays come to town hot and have been hitting the cover off the ball in their recent 14-2 run. They have really tightened the gap in the A.L. East and sit just 6.5 games back. IMO the Sox have to come out of this with at least a split and keep the Jays right where they are in the standings. I'm not thrilled with the pitching matchups and have to question Webster starting tomorrow night in such a huge series. It would be great to take 3 of 4 but overall would be satisfied with the split. Anyone else.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Expectations From 4 Game Series With Jays

To win this series would be good....but anything less of splitting would be tough.  The Jays are playing like the team they thought they would be.  To be able to stop them in their tracks and beat them now that they are playing like a contender would just speak volumes for this Sox team.  Yeah....it's a pretty big series; as big as a series can be in June at least. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

To win this series would be good....but anything less of splitting would be tough.  The Jays are playing like the team they thought they would be.  To be able to stop them in their tracks and beat them now that they are playing like a contender would just speak volumes for this Sox team.  Yeah....it's a pretty big series; as big as a series can be in June at least. 

Yup, anything less than a split, at home, would be disappointing.

If Lester needs a solid game. The Sox are going to have a tough time with Wang, IMO.

I'd be happy with a split, considering Webster is pitching in this series.

The kid's not ready yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Yup, anything less than a split, at home, would be disappointing.

If Lester needs a solid game. The Sox are going to have a tough time with Wang, IMO.

I'd be happy with a split, considering Webster is pitching in this series.

The kid's not ready yet.

Yeah i don't think we can count on Webster either...but he did have one good start, one bad start, and then his last start where he actually looked good after the firsting inning.

Like I said, we can't count on this kid yet but he has the talent to turn it on....who knows he might be an important part of the rotation by seasons end. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Looks like Reyes is back just in time for this 4 game set. Frown

All the Sox need to do is split. That happens... Jays get nowhere.

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The pressure is on both teams but it's really on the Jay's. Reyes and Rajai Davis are back and Encar and Batman are hitting along with Lind.

I would be happy with a split.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

As long as the teams continue to beat on each other in the division, we have a shot - btw it is tough to take a 4 game series (think about how much help we gave Detroit to do that) I will take a split from a very hot team and maintain whatever lead we have. 

As always - 100% correct!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

As long as the teams continue to beat on each other in the division, we have a shot - btw it is tough to take a 4 game series (think about how much help we gave Detroit to do that) I will take a split from a very hot team and maintain whatever lead we have. 

As always - 100% correct!

I agree, I was at 3 out of those 4 games in Detroit and the Red Sox squandered 2 of those games, they could have easily won 3 but intead they gift wrapped 2 wins for the Tigers. To your point, it is indeed tough to win those 4 game series. Hopefully they at least get the split and move on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

Some are viewing this upcoming series with the Jays as the biggest one yet this season and it very well could be. The Jays come to town hot and have been hitting the cover off the ball in their recent 14-2 run. They have really tightened the gap in the A.L. East and sit just 6.5 games back. IMO the Sox have to come out of this with at least a split and keep the Jays right where they are in the standings. I'm not thrilled with the pitching matchups and have to question Webster starting tomorrow night in such a huge series. It would be great to take 3 of 4 but overall would be satisfied with the split. Anyone else.....

Unless the Sox have their hitting shoes on they could be in big trouble. Lester no longer instills confidence in me and Webster hasn't shown me that he is ready to pitch at the MLB level. Doubront is a crap shoot and, though Dempster has been pitching well as of late, he will be facing a tough lineup. Sox better score lots of runs. I am hoping for at least a split.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am mainly expecting Jerry Remy to say "Buenos Nachos, Amigos" for the night games and "Buenos Tardes, Amigos" for the day games....along with mentioning that the Blue Jays have had lots of good success lately.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

You would think tonights game was in the bag with Lester against Wang. Wang isn't the same Pitcher he was years ago with the Yanks.
    Lester better get the lead out. Split is OK.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think Webster will pitch well, but Johnson will pitch better, and we'll wind up with a split, winning the first and last games of the series.  I think Lester will pitch well, and the Sox will have no trouble with Wang, who 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Agree split is good.  Bad timing for the Sox with Buchholz out and Lackey having pitched yesterday. 

That 11 game win streak was largely the result of excellent pitching, and right now the Sox are hitting pretty well, especially against righty starters, and the first three for the Jays are righties.  So this will be strength against strength. 

Unfortunately, Toronto's hitting, while not as good as the Sox, is good enough to hit our starting four unless they are pitching well.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that all four--Lester, Webster,Doubront, and Dempster--are capable of pitching well.  The question is, will they?   The Rays just took 2 of 3 from Toronto with good pitching, so it is possible. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would be fine with a split also.....Normally I would have thought Lester would be a big favorite tonight and Johnson a big favorite tomorrow and then a split of the final two....the key will be Doubront in Game 3, if he wins, Buerhle can be beat in the final game which would give us the shot at 3 of 4....but with Lester being so shaky lately we could be going into Game 3 down 0-2 already

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I would be fine with a split also.....Normally I would have thought Lester would be a big favorite tonight and Johnson a big favorite tomorrow and then a split of the final two....the key will be Doubront in Game 3, if he wins, Buerhle can be beat in the final game which would give us the shot at 3 of 4....but with Lester being so shaky lately we could be going into Game 3 down 0-2 already

Cut that out.  Way too detailed and expert. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:

Cut that out.  Way too detailed and expert. 

I will choose to not take that sarcastically and instead take it as a compliment from someone who usually posts alot of very informed posts. Thank you :) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Red Sox will be lucky to win 1 out of 4.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It would be nice to hold on tonight, split the next two, and have Sunday either a split, or taking a big series 3-1.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

The Red Sox will be lucky to win 1 out of 4.

I say 1 Sox W, 3 rainouts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I expect to take three of four, with Friday's game being the one Im most worried about. Webster has been awful so far. Maybe hes due for a W, but I dont know.......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Sox sweep. Bats hot. Ball miss Jays bats.

Jobu very happy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

This is a bigger series for the Jays than it is for the Red Sox.  The pressure is on them to make up some ground.  If the Sox only win one, it's certainly not panic time, but it's probably a sign that they have their work cut out ahead of them.  If it's a split, the Red Sox hold serve and it just means there's still a lot of baseball to play.  If the Sox take three out of four, they're in great position moving forward, but it's likely that somebody in the pack (Tampa, Yanks, Baltimore) wins right along with them and keeps pace.  If the Sox sweep, the Jays are in trouble, not only because the Red Sox have gained four games on them, but because they're behind a tough pack and they're really going to have to play outstanding baseball the rest of the way to recover.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

This is a bigger series for the Jays than it is for the Red Sox.  The pressure is on them to make up some ground.  If the Sox only win one, it's certainly not panic time, but it's probably a sign that they have their work cut out ahead of them.  If it's a split, the Red Sox hold serve and it just means there's still a lot of baseball to play.  If the Sox take three out of four, they're in great position moving forward, but it's likely that somebody in the pack (Tampa, Yanks, Baltimore) wins right along with them and keeps pace.  If the Sox sweep, the Jays are in trouble, not only because the Red Sox have gained four games on them, but because they're behind a tough pack and they're really going to have to play outstanding baseball the rest of the way to recover.  

Totally agree with your assessment !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

tomnev, definitely a compliment.

JpBsSoxFan, this thread was/is a good idea.  The Sox are in the hunt, and maybe the Jays are too, and they're playing 4 at the Fens.  We're still in June, but, given the Sox position atop the AL East and the AL at the season halfway point, every series is pretty darn exciting. 

That "rally" in the 2d inning last night was weird.  Top of the first, Wang mowed down Ells, Ped, and Vic, 1, 2, 3.  Next inning started I think with two walks and then five straight hits, only one of which was flaky (Iglesias's baltimore chop to SS, unplayable).  Then Vic goes GIDP, leaving a guy on 3d with 2 outs, so Pedey hits the 2 run dinger to put the Sox up 7-0.  Beyond a doubt, this is one deep lineup with trouble everywhere.  Toronto bullpen did a very good job from the 2d inning on. 

Lester last night was very focused and determined and pitched an excellent 7 innings, giving up 2 runs. Not great control, but good velocity and a good use of breaking balls.   Fine to send him back out for the 8th, but maybe not so fine to keep him out there after walking the first two guys.  When Tazawa threw the ball that loaded the bases with no one out, it make those 2 runs pretty likely.  Fortunately, each run carried an out with it.  Good job Tazawa.   Great 9th by Uehara.

I still believe a split is good for the Sox and will be happy with that.  Toronto is the hot team, and the Sox can't use their two best starters, Buchholz (DL) and Lackey (pitched Wed, can't go again until Monday). 

As the OP says, right now the pressure is on those other teams.  Thanks to adding the second wild card team, it's very advantageous to win your division.  And right now the Sox are looking pretty darn solid. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Right on "jp" especially with Webster going on Friday.  Farrell really loves this guy.  Just hope that he can pitch a decent game and not put the Sox in a deep hole like he did on his last outing.  GO SOX and Webster! 

Sections
Shortcuts