Explain This

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Explain This

Ciriaco goes 10-for-23 in a 6-game hit streak as a regular starter. the team goes 4-2. He then has an 0-for evening on a night the entire team did nothing, 5-0 shutuot L......HE HAS NOT STARTED A GAME SINCE!!!! WHAT IN DARN BLAZINGS IS BV DOING? WHAT IS HE TRYING TO PROVE? CIRIACO THEN HITS A PINCH HIT HR, AND STILL NO STARTS AS THE TEAM INCHES SOME MORE INTO THE DEFEAT COLUMN. FIRE VALENTINE!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Explain This

Think about it. What did the Sox get for Youkilis? What was the purpose of the Albers (and Podsednik) deal for Breslow? Why is Andrew Miller wasted on this team? Why is Dan Bard still in the minors? Why do they keep throwing to death Vincente Padilla? Why did they destroy the arm of Atchison? Why would you trade for damaged goods in Bailey? Why do you bring up Lavarnway only to sit him on the bench? Why do you play Ciriaco, then sit him for extended period? Why do you force Kalish and Nava into the lineup, knowing full well they both are easy outs now? Why is Punto still on the roster, why wasn't he DFAed when they had many opportunities to do so? Why does the team have 2 pitching coaches? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Do you always talk to yourself???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Take a deep breath and repeat after me...wait til next year...

FYI;
    />Youk is currently nursing another injury (knee)...What we got was a decent pitching prospect. More importantly his trade opened up a spot for Middelbrooks to play every day.

/>Podsednik was released by the Diamondbacks...

/>Kalish represents the future...

/>Albers was moved for Breslow to add another lefthanded reliever to the pen, so Morales could return to the rotation.

/>Bard is still in the minors cause he can't throw strikes...

/>The reason our bullpen is being overused is due to the lack of length we're getting from Lester & Beckett...

/>The reason we have two pitching coaches is that McClure was hired before BV. My guess is that will be sorted out this winter and if Bobby returns it will be with his pitching coach...

/>Bailey was not injured when he was aquired. he injured himself during spring training...spilt milk

/>Melancon represents the future and is not being asked to pitch in high leverqge situations...getting him right is why he's on the roster and pitching...

/>Avilies is the starting SS, a job he won in spring training. He was given a couple of days off to get a blow and is now being given the chance to show that he's still a player that deserves to be the Starting SS...

/>Ciriaco's play while inspiring, IMHO has put himself in position to compete for a spot on the team next year. He's certainly opened some eyes...

/>Punto is signed for two years and when he's given the chance to play. Is a professional hitter and a solid clubhouse guy...
    Hope this helps...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

danny, I don't blame you for being upset.  If we're actually trying to winning games, it is hard to fathom Ciriaco stuck on the bench and Melancon in the pen instead of Mortensen. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And the fact that our only deadline deal was Albers and Podsednick for Breslow is kind of a joke.  Nothing against Breslow, he's a good reliever and I'm happy to have him.  But Albers was having a good year, he throws hard and has great numbers against the Yankees.  It was a wash transaction at most, and that's all they did to 'bolster' the pitching staff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

If Nava doesn't play how could ownership constantly remind us of how great a story it is?

Ciriaco makes them look bad. BV wanted him all year, finally got him, and the kid hasn't slowed down.

All at once, Ciriaco makes these people look like wastes:
    Aviles
    Punto
    Nava
    Kalish
    Sweeney (pre-injury)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Danny, ....The BRS are one big Flustercluck. Too many chiefs not enough indians.Too many unanswered questions about players and playing time indicates the problem is with baseball ops. and player developement. We can't do pitching developement and we can't do player developement well.We suck because there is no floor or foundation to build on. Minor leagues are a disaster as far as developement goes. They send up guys like Kalish, Spears, Repko, etc. Not only can these guys not play, they can't hit. Kalish is up now, hitting .203 no HR's very little power,hardly any arm strength yet he plays. He stinks. He's a younger version of Ryan Sweeney. He plays because the sabermetric guys think he has value. He has none,nadda,zilch,zero.                                                                         We were 7-17 last Sept. or something close to that. Sept.2012 is quickly approaching, who are we going to call up for that push to the Wild Card, One and Done, Game?  Iggy?  Hello...Hello...who's coming up in Sept.? That  phone just rings and rings and rings. Nobody is coming up in Sept. It's the Rumsfeld reply. "You go to battle with what you 've got not what you wish you had."  Are you ready for another 7-17 Sept.? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Basically Cherrington should have been fired when Theo went to Chicago. Ben was part of the problem as well, because Branch Rickey he is not. Although maybe he has to run everything through Lucky Larry Luchinno who has lost touch with the game as well. In response to "Re: Explain This": [QUOTE]Think about it. What did the Sox get for Youkilis? What was the purpose of the Albers (and Podsednik) deal for Breslow? Why is Andrew Miller wasted on this team? Why is Dan Bard still in the minors? Why do they keep throwing to death Vincente Padilla? Why did they destroy the arm of Atchison? Why would you trade for damaged goods in Bailey? Why do you bring up Lavarnway only to sit him on the bench? Why do you play Ciriaco, then sit him for extended period? Why do you force Kalish and Nava into the lineup, knowing full well they both are easy outs now? Why is Punto still on the roster, why wasn't he DFAed when they had many opportunities to do so? Why does the team have 2 pitching coaches?  Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Explain This:
    [QUOTE]Ciriaco goes 10-for-23 in a 6-game hit streak as a regular starter. the team goes 4-2. He then has an 0-for evening on a night the entire team did nothing, 5-0 shutuot L......HE HAS NOT STARTED A GAME SINCE!!!! WHAT IN DARN BLAZINGS IS BV DOING? WHAT IS HE TRYING TO PROVE? CIRIACO THEN HITS A PINCH HIT HR, AND STILL NO STARTS AS THE TEAM INCHES SOME MORE INTO THE DEFEAT COLUMN. FIRE VALENTINE!!!!
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Crazy isn't it? I don't have the slightest idea why Kalish and Punto play. Punto should be released regardless of whether he's under contract for next year. He's only due $1.5M and does anyone want him coming to spring training next year?

And the Podsednik thing was mind boggling, but too late. They have a man crush on Kalish and he's nothing but a AAAA player.

Face it, the organization is dumb and that is why at a payroll of $170M, the Red Sox are under .500.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Explain This:
    [QUOTE]Do you always talk to yourself???
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]"There you go again, Jim" !!!  Why so critical ???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

thanks, guys. I'm glad that there are several of you who also have to scratch their heads at what is going not only in the boardroom, but GM office and dugout. Team morale can be, has been affected by ill-timed lineups. Lester threw well and we got an 0-for-10 for the record from the part of the lineup that we knew would likely go just that--0-for-10. The fact that Kalish has more starts than Ciriaco during this recent stretch is another example of the stupidity of the Sox. And lastly, I ddn't say him by name, but find me a guy with better relief numbers than Clayton Mortensen, and tell me why in the world he has not been promoted to the big club for the rest of the season. It's just sad that a reliever that effective is sitting at Pawtucket. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Good posts Danny and I share your frustration....it seems to me we are dealing with dueling philosophies.....Bobby V wants certain guys on the team and Ben C seems to want others....as for him overworking the BP.....I will cut him some slack on that....a) the Starters were horrible and b) its like he has been managing for his job from day one and he had to try and win every game like it was September....another instance where we have dueling ideas....they guys in the FO who didnt want Bobby(like Ben) are just waiting for him to fail.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

tom, Larry's non-committal this week. No comment speaks volumes that BV's days are numbered anyway. I was worried that the pen would crack with all the shorter starts, the 6 IP games and some of the 4 IP games. 

special message to moon: Am I dreaming or is Mortensen the most effective reliever to not be on a MLB roster to join Podsednik as the best reserve OF to not be on a MLB roster. Mortensen's stats, albeit in only 10 games, are off the charts great. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

[QUOTE]Take a deep breath and repeat after me...wait til next year... FYI; />Youk is currently nursing another injury (knee)...What we got was a decent pitching prospect. More importantly his trade opened up a spot for Middelbrooks to play every day. />Podsednik was released by the Diamondbacks... />Kalish represents the future... />Albers was moved for Breslow to add another lefthanded reliever to the pen, so Morales could return to the rotation. />Bard is still in the minors cause he can't throw strikes... />The reason our bullpen is being overused is due to the lack of length we're getting from Lester & Beckett... />The reason we have two pitching coaches is that McClure was hired before BV. My guess is that will be sorted out this winter and if Bobby returns it will be with his pitching coach... />Bailey was not injured when he was aquired. he injured himself during spring training...spilt milk />Melancon represents the future and is not being asked to pitch in high leverqge situations...getting him right is why he's on the roster and pitching... />Avilies is the starting SS, a job he won in spring training. He was given a couple of days off to get a blow and is now being given the chance to show that he's still a player that deserves to be the Starting SS... />Ciriaco's play while inspiring, IMHO has put himself in position to compete for a spot on the team next year. He's certainly opened some eyes... />Punto is signed for two years and when he's given the chance to play. Is a professional hitter and a solid clubhouse guy... Hope this helps...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Super response Beanetowne on each and every rant. The forum needs more with your logic and reason.  Excellent, Excellent, Excellent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

oh, so both bean and pike have given up on this season...that's what the forum needs? Say what? Sounds like total hypocrisy on Pike's part. He's giving up on the season if I read this right. Read Beantown's account "Wait till Next Year."....
    I'm with BV on one thing---they still are in the WC hunt. When you are only 5 games out of it, you are in it until they mathematically eliminate you. But you guys, go ahead and wait till next year. I bring up Mortensen, and maybe Prior too and get the pen going, and drop Lavarnway, DFA Punto and Kalish, and find a waivers OF. Then have Ciriaco play 7 straight at SS and see if the other stuff was a fluke, or ride the wave as moon put it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

Review Beantowne's points one by one and do it objectively. That's what my response was about. He trumped on each and every point. You didn't even know that Bailey got injured in a freak accident at first base once he got here and not before. You go into these rants and stop thinking and out pours passion but no reason or logic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

clam, i poured TONS OF REASON, just disagree with it as you are to do with anything I've ever written, and move on. But be clear that Beantowne's realization is that the team is done---and you agreed with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]Take a deep breath and repeat after me...wait til next year... FYI; />Youk is currently nursing another injury (knee)...What we got was a decent pitching prospect. More importantly his trade opened up a spot for Middelbrooks to play every day. />Podsednik was released by the Diamondbacks... />Kalish represents the future... />Albers was moved for Breslow to add another lefthanded reliever to the pen, so Morales could return to the rotation. />Bard is still in the minors cause he can't throw strikes... />The reason our bullpen is being overused is due to the lack of length we're getting from Lester & Beckett... />The reason we have two pitching coaches is that McClure was hired before BV. My guess is that will be sorted out this winter and if Bobby returns it will be with his pitching coach... />Bailey was not injured when he was aquired. he injured himself during spring training...spilt milk />Melancon represents the future and is not being asked to pitch in high leverqge situations...getting him right is why he's on the roster and pitching... />Avilies is the starting SS, a job he won in spring training. He was given a couple of days off to get a blow and is now being given the chance to show that he's still a player that deserves to be the Starting SS... />Ciriaco's play while inspiring, IMHO has put himself in position to compete for a spot on the team next year. He's certainly opened some eyes... />Punto is signed for two years and when he's given the chance to play. Is a professional hitter and a solid clubhouse guy... Hope this helps...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Some good points; however, I don't see Kalish being the future except maybe a trivia question or two. He's really a lousy hitter, and will never be anything but a lousy hitter.

I can't imagine why Ciriaco is not the regular SS. He earned the job in SPRING TRAINING, for petes sake, then earned it again this summer. I'm really stunned by the decision to go with Aviles.

By the way; Lester should be fined (by the team!). His antics showing up the home plate umpire was inexcusable. (The pitches weren't even strikes! one wasn't even CLOSE to being a strike)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

Dannycater
    "Why would you trade for damaged goods in Bailey?"

Wrong. wrong, wrong.
    He was healthy upon arrival.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Do you honestly think that Valentine is not going to put the best line-up on the field? There is more here than meets the eye, like getting direction on who to start, or the medical staff overriding his decisions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

Why aren't posters responding to Beantowne's post and go over them one by one. He was correct on every single point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's "ride the hot hand"...

How about the guy who had 14 straight relief appearances with just 1 ER?
    16.1 IP  8 Hits  2 BBs.

We "stuck with him".

Ooops, he then let up 4 ERs twice in 3 days afterwards.

Name: Mark Melancon

How about a guy who had a .421 OBP for over 170 PAs? 

We "stuck with him".

Oops, he then hit .133 the next 70 PAs (.257 OBP).

Name: Daniel Nava

danny, I'm with you on the riding Ciriaco until he slumps idea, but sticking with guys doesn't always work out either.

I'd have rather traded Sweeney and kept Pods, but Sweeney ruined that plan.

I've been saying Punto should be traded for over a month, even if we pay $1.5M of his remaining $2M. Ciriaco and Iggy both are better options.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I think Danny makes many valid points. I also think Kalish has proven that he simply can't hit bigboy pitching. I'm ready to call him a failure. Ciriaco should be starting!! He's not because of politics. I think the front office spends too much time playing on their sabermetric computers to notice actual onfield talent. If it conflicts with their preconceived notions, it's dismissed out of hand. Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument fellas!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]danny, I don't blame you for being upset.  If we're actually trying to winning games, it is hard to fathom Ciriaco stuck on the bench and Melancon in the pen instead of Mortensen. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I agree with the "wait 'till next year" post as well. Except its not really "next year", its 2015 when the contracts of Beckett and Lackey expire. Ciriaco should be playing instead of the fetid Nick Punto, and why is Lavarnway rotting away on the bench? Why call him up if he is stuck riding the pine watching Saltalamacchia strike out over and over and over again?

Sections
Shortcuts