Explain This

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Explain This

In Response to Re: Explain This:
    [QUOTE]Review Beantowne's points one by one and do it objectively. That's what my response was about. He trumped on each and every point. You didn't even know that Bailey got injured in a freak accident at first base once he got here and not before. You go into these rants and stop thinking and out pours passion but no reason or logic.
    Posted by Clamshack[/QUOTE]

Beantowne is a reasonable man and a good poster and I often agree with him.  He is taking a position of 'wait till next year'.

Like danny and others, I think 'wait till next year' is a dubious approach when:

-It's August 8.
    -We're still only 4.5 games out of a Wild Card spot.
    -We have a $175 million payroll.
    -We have the highest ticket prices.
    -Our All-Star and borderline Hall of Fame candidate is nearing 40 and a free agent at the end of the year and maybe we should optimize what time he has left with us. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dannycater
    "Why would you trade for damaged goods in Bailey?"

Wrong. wrong, wrong.
    He was healthy upon arrival.

In danny's defense, while his current injury was not a pre-existing condition, he was not "healthy upong arrival".

He had Tommy John surgery in college, and was on the DL often with the A's. 
    He's had 2 elbow surgeries.

Here's an article from March of 2011:

Bailey had Tommy John surgery in 2004 while in college. September's cleanup surgery addressed some remaining scar tissue and bone chips....

Andrew Bailey was disappointed to end last season on the disabled list, and now it looks as if the A's two-time All-Star might open the season on the DL, making Brain Fuentes the potential closer come April 1.

Bailey appeared to hurt his twice-surgically repaired right elbow while throwing a pitch to Cleveland's Ezequiel Carrera in the seventh inning on Monday. Bailey sat on the mound as trainer Nick Paperesta examined him, then came off the field holding his elbow, which is never a good sign.

"All I know is that, being that I've had Tommy John surgery before, it didn't feel the same," Bailey said in a text message. "But obviously that's what I thought when I felt it."

I read somewhere that Bailey would probably need further surgery at some point, but I can't find the link.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I think Danny makes many valid points. I also think Kalish has proven that he simply can't hit bigboy pitching. I'm ready to call him a failure. Ciriaco should be starting!! He's not because of politics. I think the front office spends too much time playing on their sabermetric computers to notice actual onfield talent. If it conflicts with their preconceived notions, it's dismissed out of hand. Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument fellas!
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

I've stated several times that I never "understood the man crush on Kalish", but writinf off a 24 year old with under 250 MLB PAs may be a bit premature.

He has about a .370 OBP in the minors and has shown 15 HR power, but playing him during a playoff run is wrong. (.158 the last 28 days and .190 in July.)

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Regarding Ceriaco, I have no idea why he hasn't been in the lineup. Given how he was playing at the time he was bench, it makes no sense. I would play him every day until he makes me look foolish for doing so.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I've been saying for months I disagreed with the view he was our future. That doesn't mean I want to DFA him, it means I'm placing him on double secret probation with an eye towards moving him for another prospect or two. I sell high-not give away with little or no return. Ciriaco should be playing everyday, but those idiots keep benching him for...Punto? Are you kidding me? I've not seen an ownership group/front office more feckless than the dimwitted bunch there now, since....ever!! Do you have even one drop of confidence in them Moon? I mean I am totally demoralized, because I see no exit strategy from this seventh circle of hell they've put us in. It seems as if they not only care nothing about winning this year, they show little interest in the future. Pathetic.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Explain This : I've stated several times that I never "understood the man crush on Kalish", but writinf off a 24 year old with under 250 MLB PAs may be a bit premature. He has about a .370 OBP in the minors and has shown 15 HR power, but playing him during a playoff run is wrong. (.158 the last 28 days and .190 in July.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenwayjimy. Show Fenwayjimy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Explain This : Beantowne is a reasonable man and a good poster and I often agree with him.  He is taking a position of 'wait till next year'. Like danny and others, I think 'wait till next year' is a dubious approach when: -It's August 8. -We're still only 4.5 games out of a Wild Card spot. -We have a $175 million payroll. -We have the highest ticket prices. -Our All-Star and borderline Hall of Fame candidate is nearing 40 and a free agent at the end of the year and maybe we should optimize what time he has left with us.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

The payroll and high ticket prices have nothing with the amount of payroll on the DL. Ortiz is having a great year and came into the season in top shape, why complain that he is nearing 40? By optimizing his time, do you mean that he should have been rushed back and teat up his achillies?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenwayjimy. Show Fenwayjimy's posts

So Beantowne may be giving up on this year. Then he is apparently has joined a crowd of six dozen here who by the tone of their posts in recent weeks have done the same.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Explain This : The payroll and high ticket prices have nothing with the amount of payroll on the DL. Ortiz is having a great year and came into the season in top shape, why complain that he is nearing 40? By optimizing his time, do you mean that he should have been rushed back and teat up his achillies?
    Posted by Fenwayjimy[/QUOTE]

No, that's not what I mean, and I wasn't complaining about his age.  What I mean is that Ortiz's limited remaining time with us is one more good reason not to 'wait till next year'. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

[QUOTE]Take a deep breath and repeat after me...wait til next year... FYI; />Youk is currently nursing another injury (knee)...What we got was a decent pitching prospect. More importantly his trade opened up a spot for Middelbrooks to play every day. />Podsednik was released by the Diamondbacks... />Kalish represents the future... />Albers was moved for Breslow to add another lefthanded reliever to the pen, so Morales could return to the rotation. />Bard is still in the minors cause he can't throw strikes... />The reason our bullpen is being overused is due to the lack of length we're getting from Lester & Beckett... />The reason we have two pitching coaches is that McClure was hired before BV. My guess is that will be sorted out this winter and if Bobby returns it will be with his pitching coach... />Bailey was not injured when he was aquired. he injured himself during spring training...spilt milk />Melancon represents the future and is not being asked to pitch in high leverqge situations...getting him right is why he's on the roster and pitching... />Avilies is the starting SS, a job he won in spring training. He was given a couple of days off to get a blow and is now being given the chance to show that he's still a player that deserves to be the Starting SS... />Ciriaco's play while inspiring, IMHO has put himself in position to compete for a spot on the team next year. He's certainly opened some eyes... />Punto is signed for two years and when he's given the chance to play. Is a professional hitter and a solid clubhouse guy... Hope this helps...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Not even Moonslav would review this list?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Trotter I need your next screen name to be anti-moon ... there is an anti-moon on the Orioles forum. Innocent

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The problem is, softy often comes around to my positions or original ideas, then claims he was for it all along...

Signing Beltre.
    Not signing CC.
    Trading for AGon (and not the foolish Jake & Jed offer he suggested).
    Signing AGon in April to avoida  luxury tax hit.
    Signing Cody Ross.
    Trading Punto.

Soon, he'll be saying we need an ace starter because we can't count on our big 3 to all stay healthy and be on top of their game at the same time.

Where did I hear that before?