Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league?

If you can get over the idea of Drew's salary not being commensurate with his production (especially this season) and seeming lack of passion, the question to consider is how he compares with other #8 hitters around the league since that's what he is at this point.   From that perspective, especially considering his usually decent OBP and defense, does he really hurt the Red Sox all that much by being in the lineup? 

I would answer the question myself, but some of you are a lot quicker at culling these type of stats, and could probably save me a lot of time.  I appreciate your help.  Thank you. 

To begin the comparison, here are some of Drew's numbers:

PA 191, HR 4, RBI 16, BA .227, OBP .330, SLG .337, OPS .667

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league?

I think he makes a terrific #8 hitter... similar to Barry Zito being a phenomenal #5 starter. You would make a great GM sir.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league?

Crawford has been a great #7 hitter, with a solid .280's OBP. And it only costs 20M.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league?:
    Crawford has been a great #7 hitter, with a solid .280's OBP. And it only costs 20M.
    Posted by betterredthandead

And guess which player leads the league in OBP for leadoff hitters? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league?:

I thought you wanted him to lead off. You've posted numerous times of the need for the Sox to trade their .376 OBP leadoff hitter and move a .279 OBP hitter into the leadoff spot.

Change your mind?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No, leading off with AGon and Ortiz scorching the ball would transform Crawford back to his career average. He should be leading off, and he will be, in the long term future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

No, leading off with AGon and Ortiz scorching the ball would transform Crawford back to his career average. He should be leading off, and he will be, in the long term future.

Crawford's career OBP is .335
    Crawford's career OBP from the leadoff spot is .319.

Ellsbury's career OBP is .349
    Ellsbury's career OBP from the leadoff spot is .340.

No matter how you cut it, Ellsbury is better as a leadoff batter than Crawford. You blasted Ellsbury for his OBP in the past as not being a leadoff, and Crawford's is much worse no matter how you slice it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

no matter how you slice it, except for one grand slam, DREW  has been an overpaid MISTAKE.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In the 8 spot, Drew has posted a line of .200/.233/.275 this season with 13 K's to only 1 BB.  Obviously it's a small sample with only 43 PA's, but his OPS ranks 73rd in MLB for players hitting in the 8 spot with a minimum of 25 PA's, although I expect that ranking to look better once we can compare him just to players with 50+ PA's.  Even with his defense, he needs to step it up even in the 8 spot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

How does he compare....expensive.  He has never until recently been a disapointment to me...but rather unconventional for his salary.  Few value his OBP and defense like Theo does, and it does have value.  The problem is he never stole bases, drove in runs, or hit homers.  That is not what he was hired for, but it was everyone expected.  His game was get on base, timely hitting, and solid defense.

For the last year, his skills have diminished.  Was it the diminishing skills seemingly taking his love of the game away, or the love of the game failing and taking his skills with it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

crawford seems to be comeing around and i hope drew gets back in the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

First post:  Crawford is an understated yet great #7 hitter.

Next:  He's the perfect #1 hitter for the Sox long term??

Try getting your act together!  Oh, I forgot!  Your act IS to say dumb, yet provocative things about the Sox!   OK:)  Doing just fine!   :)

Let's face it!  Without Betterdead, we'd have very few people to mock & ridicule on a CONSISTENT basis.....  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In the 8 spot, Drew has posted a line of .200/.233/.275 this season with 13 K's to only 1 BB.  Obviously it's a small sample with only 43 PA's, but his OPS ranks 73rd in MLB for players hitting in the 8 spot with a minimum of 25 PA's, although I expect that ranking to look better once we can compare him just to players with 50+ PA's.  Even with his defense, he needs to step it up even in the 8 spot.
    Posted by JB-3

Thank you for the numbers, JB-3.  Finally, someone who gets the point of this thread.  I didn't realize that his numbers were worse at the 8th spot compared to other spots in the lineup.  What I also wanted to get at were what the numbers were like for a typical #8 hitter in the AL taking into consideration Drew's numbers as a whole this season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I'm a Drew fan, but having said that, he's struggled at the plate this year. That much is obvious. But at this point, does it matter? He plays solid defense, so he doesn't hurt the team in the field. And the lineup is on fire right now. They don't need him to be hitting if things remain as they are now. They scored 30 runs in 2 games this weekend. Should we be upset that due to Drew's struggles it wasn't 38? If he plays defense, gets the odd timely hit from the 8th spot and doesn't actively drag the team down, I see no reason to replace him. Not everyone on a team is going to put up amazing numbers, there's always a weaker spot in the batting order.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league? : Thank you for the numbers, JB-3.  Finally, someone who gets the point of this thread.  I didn't realize that his numbers were worse at the 8th spot compared to other spots in the lineup.  What I also wanted to get at were what the numbers were like for a typical #8 hitter in the AL taking into consideration Drew's numbers as a whole this season. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

I figured I'd try to bring us back on topic.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for....

Drew's 2011 numbers: .227/.330/.337 for a .667 OPS in 191 PA's.  He has 41 K's to 24 BB"s.

Among players with 100+ PA's in the 8 spot, Drew's .667 OPS would be good for 9th in MLB (out of 15 players including Drew). Or 17th out of 28 players with a minimum of 75 PA's in the 8 spot.

The argument could be made that a #8 hitter in the NL more closely resembles a #9 hitter in the AL, so here is the ranking for #8 hitters in the AL with 75+ PA's:

8 out of 12.

If NL #8 hitters are AL #9's, then it follows that NL #7's would be closer to AL #8's.

Compared to NL #7 hitters, Drew would rank 9 out of 11.

Combining NL #7's and AL #8's, Drew comes in at 16 out of 22.  That's based on Drew's season OPS, not just when he's been hitting in the 8 spot, where he has struggled even more.

Drew's .608 OPS in the 8 spot would rank 10 out of 11 for NL #7's and 10 out of 12 for AL #8's, good for 19 out of 22 overall.

In conclusion, he needs to step it up.  This looks like the most likely position for a change the next time this team is going through a rough patch.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

He'll snap out of it tonight.
    Posted by bobbysu

I'll be a lot more worried if he doesn't.

Drew's career line against Shields:  .314/.400/.600 in 35 AB's with 4 doubles, 2 HR's, 6 RBI, 4 BB's and 6 K's.

Papi and Pedroia also have outstanding track records (in decent sample sizes) against shields.  AGon mashed last time, but he only has 3 career AB's against Shields.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league? : I figured I'd try to bring us back on topic. Let me know if this is what you're looking for.... Drew's 2011 numbers: .227/.330/.337 for a .667 OPS in 191 PA's.  He has 41 K's to 24 BB"s. Among players with 100+ PA's in the 8 spot, Drew's .667 OPS would be good for 9th in MLB (out of 15 players including Drew). Or 17th out of 28 players with a minimum of 75 PA's in the 8 spot. The argument could be made that a #8 hitter in the NL more closely resembles a #9 hitter in the AL, so here is the ranking for #8 hitters in the AL with 75+ PA's: 8 out of 12. If NL #8 hitters are AL #9's, then it follows that NL #7's would be closer to AL #8's. Compared to NL #7 hitters, Drew would rank 9 out of 11. Combining NL #7's and AL #8's, Drew comes in at 16 out of 22.  That's based on Drew's season OPS, not just when he's been hitting in the 8 spot, where he has struggled even more. Drew's .608 OPS in the 8 spot would rank 10 out of 11 for NL #7's and 10 out of 12 for AL #8's, good for 19 out of 22 overall. In conclusion, he needs to step it up.  This looks like the most likely position for a change the next time this team is going through a rough patch.
    Posted by JB-3

Again, thanks.  I now realize that the average 8th hitter in the AL may be better than I had thought. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

WHAT #8 Hitter MAKES $14 MILL genius???

Drew is a walking joke why do you defend him.  He should be making about $3 mill, not 14. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league? : Again, thanks.  I now realize that the average 8th hitter in the AL may be better than I had thought. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

Me too, that was a very eye opening exercise.  Good topic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

WHAT #8 Hitter MAKES $14 MILL genius??? Drew is a walking joke why do you defend him.  He should be making about $3 mill, not 14. 
    Posted by fancy-shamanski

There are going to be other #8 hitters making more than $14M in the not so distant future.  That's what happens at the end of these long term FA deals.  It's part of the FA process.  Hell, look at Jeter, he's going to be dropping down the order some time soon and he has a higher AAV than Drew and he signed just this past offseason.

Who exactly was defending Drew in this thread? Burrito?

Rojas simply asked the question and admitted that he didn't have the answer.  I provided the stats.  Most everyone else was off topic.

At this point there isn't anything that can be done about the money, and it comes off the books after this season.  Right now you need to take a look at who gives the team the best chance to win, setting salaries aside.  I'm a big fan of not fixing things that aren't broken, as such Drew should remain the starting RF while the team is winning as you don't want to mess with the teams chemistry.  When they start to scuffle again, as most all teams do, one of the kids can take over RF (or a trade could potentially be made) to provide a spark without hurting the clubs offensive potential.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

WHAT #8 Hitter MAKES $14 MILL genius??? Drew is a walking joke why do you defend him.  He should be making about $3 mill, not 14. 
    Posted by fancy-shamanski

I'm neither defending nor criticizing Drew here.  There are plenty of threads you can go to for that.  Recognizing his minimal offensive contribution, I'm looking to see if he is worth salvaging at his current rate of production.  Hopefully, he improves so the Red Sox can recover something from their investment in him this season. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league? : There are going to be other #8 hitters making more than $14M in the not so distant future.  That's what happens at the end of these long term FA deals.  It's part of the FA process.  Hell, look at Jeter, he's going to be dropping down the order some time soon and he has a higher AAV than Drew and he signed just this past offseason. Who exactly was defending Drew in this thread? Burrito? Rojas simply asked the question and admitted that he didn't have the answer.  I provided the stats.  Most everyone else was off topic. At this point there isn't anything that can be done about the money, and it comes off the books after this season.  Right now you need to take a look at who gives the team the best chance to win, setting salaries aside.  I'm a big fan of not fixing things that aren't broken, as such Drew should remain the starting RF while the team is winning as you don't want to mess with the teams chemistry.  When they start to scuffle again, as most all teams do, one of the kids can take over RF (or a trade could potentially be made) to provide a spark without hurting the clubs offensive potential.
    Posted by JB-3

You wrote this while I was typing, JB-3.  You pretty much said the same thing, but better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Exploratory thread: How does JD Drew compare with other #8 hitters around the league? : You wrote this while I was typing, JB-3.  You pretty much said the same thing, but better.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

Thanks. Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

How bad Drew is can be summed up with Sunday's game. The Red Sox scored 14 runs and had 17 hits, and J.D. Drew went 0-5 with the Golden Sombrero with 6 LOB.

Sections
Shortcuts