In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I recognize they won't eliminated all gun-related violence -- no law is 100 percent effective. But even if it prevents one fatality, it's worth it.

They will eliminate zero gun-related violence because any person who wants to inflict gun violence can easily get a gun, legally or illegally, via purchase legally or illegally, "borrowing" or theft.

Guns aren't the problem, anymore than someone who drives a car into a crowd of people is the problem.

If more people had guns, there would be less fatalities from gun use.

When you sit in a public place and pretend that Obama has made you safer from guns by virtue of federal regulations, you will be the same guy praying on your hands and knees that someone else has a gun to stop some felon from shooting into a crowd of people.

Pressue cookers, not guns, caused fatalities. Now, are you so stpuid that you think household products should require a background check. That's not a question.

Take a look at today's society for a clue on why the media financially deights in another mass murder tragedy. Actually take a look at the culture, instead of childishly looking for background checks for the purchase of motor vehicles, farm and household products.

I'll tell you who never received a background check, Bill Ayers.

Yet again, you are argumentative in a thread that was meant to be sympathetic.

And yet again, you are flat wrong. Over the past 20+ yrs, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, Canada, Greece, Spain, & Scotland passed strict gun control measures after mass tragedies due to guns. The result? NONE of these countries has had a repeat incident.

Another glaring number: The developed countries in the world have AVERAGED approximately 30 gun fatalities each year. This country? About 30K.

Your ideology has steered your brilliant disposition to one of gloom, darkness, excuses, & misguided opinions.

Again. The law that was voted down in Congress yesterday would not have prevented Sandy Hook.

Of course your numbers include suicide as well as homicide.

How about murders commited with clubs, blunt instruments and knives?

The most by guns were illegal handguns not rifles.

Which is why so many folks want guns for protection.

What we need more than anything is an absolute overhaul of mental health laws.

Recent mass murders have all been commited by mentally unbalanced folks not law abiding gun owners.

Sounds like you read the excuses by the bought members of Congress that voted No, defying 84% of the population. And the suicide component is even a more persuasive reason. Some one very upset can easily take their own life if they own firearms when perhaps they shouldn't. 

84%?

Where did that number come from?

Seems to be the politicians are listening to their base as reflected in the gallup poll.

That they are even focusing on this issue could be why Congress has such low poll numbers.

Because it is important to you, Chris Mathews, Obama, Bloomberg and the left and the media doesn't mean that it is to the rest of  the country.

I got it from the Washington Post. As far as the rest of the country is concerned, you're in denial; just like you were on Election Day.

Washington Post another fair arbiter of the news.

I'm not in denial I can see how our economy as well as our standing with and in the rest of the world has deteriorated.

I only have one vote.

Gee, you think that had anything to do with W?

And yes, you ARE in denial, since you claimed on Election Day that Romney would win, and laughed at the polls. So who do you think you're kidding?

The old go-to when all else fails even after 5 years in office never too late to blame his predecessesor.

But of course Bush had nothing to do with the killing of Bin Laden or did waterboarding.

I'm referring to the lack of respect he was given during the"Euro 9" conference. I didn't think I had to explain it, but I underestimated you.. Otherwise, more doubletalk. And yes, ignore my Election Day remark.

Surprise. Insults.

A liberal's last refuge when in a debate.

You could always call me a racist.

Insult? To say I underestimated you? Far from your doubletalk oriented last refuges. And to stereotype liberals as the only ones that insults confirms a few things; is THAT an insult? Just another exuse.

Angry because you didn't get a victory on the gun vote.

He got his Obamacare, the stumulis and re-elected.

Unless he can recapture majorities in congress he is a lame duck 2nd term president.

Or he could move to the middle.

Partly true, but only partly. However, compared to Congress....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Explosions at Boston Marathon

At least he didn't blame Bush.

Again ...not at all what we're discussing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Shocking

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Wow...this thread has been seriously derailed...

Too bad...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

ThatWasMe can do his own survey if he doesn'twant to believe the above surveys noted. Walk around your block and ask your neighbors if they wanted stronger background checks? You need to fall back on some information from somewhere so I suggest that you take your own survey. Leave a questionaire and return later to pick it up. If you don't have any information then that means that your opinions are only opinions.

Gallup does a decent job pike, thanks for the great advice though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Shocking

Excuse me? I thought this thread was about the marathon bombing.

My comments were no further off topic then any other recent comment.

That you did not particularly like what i said seems to be the problem not the context.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Wow. You've reached the pinnacle of stupidity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Shocking

Excuse me? I thought this thread was about the marathon bombing?

That you did not particularly like what i said seems to be the problem not the context.

I was responding to softy. Now you're confusing the thread start with the ongoing discussion?  Big difference, and yet another excuse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

ThatWasMe can do his own survey if he doesn'twant to believe the above surveys noted. Walk around your block and ask your neighbors if they wanted stronger background checks? You need to fall back on some information from somewhere so I suggest that you take your own survey. Leave a questionaire and return later to pick it up. If you don't have any information then that means that your opinions are only opinions.

Gallup does a decent job pike, thanks for the great advice though.

Except when they called the Election, I guess.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLjNJI54GMM

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

As a mam whose job and education is surrounded by statistics I'm always very interested to see what the statistics say about the issue.  I've seen a lot of R-Tarded memes going around the social media that talk about how there is less gun violence in a country that has the highest carry rate and how this country has no gun violence and has strict laws.

What I wanted to see was the data on gun deaths per 1000 people in relation to # of guns from EVERY country, yes there are other varying factors but all in all it's a much better starting point that ONE country.  What I found and if you don't believe me do the **** research yourself was that there was a small correlation between the number of guns in a society and total gun related murder rates.  Now before all the rootin tootin run lovers lose their minds it is worth noting that the data evens out when you take out the suicides.

Now what this tells me is both arguments are not supported by the data...less guns and more guns are not well supported by the overall data in terms of making us safer.  I want to look at other aspects of the issue, what makes a country an outlier? yes it Sweden a lot of people own guns and yet their is almost no homocides but in America we have the second highest carry rate and the most guns and we have insanely high numbers.

I would love to live in a world with no guns, but I realize how completely unrealistic that notion is.  It's not always about the stats either it's about culture, and guns are so embedded in American culture that any hopes of eradicating them are pipe dreams.  But background checks to make sure someone isnt a criminal and stopping a convicted felon from going online and buying a gun to me is just common sense.....and if you disagree with that I personally know at least 3 famillies in Newtown CT that would very much disagree with you. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

No, you were inculcated with stupidity in public schools. I note how this foolishly sensationalized tragedy had nothing to do with guns, yet stupidity and the radical left continue to try and dictate American policy on guns. Anyone, anyone, who is not incarcerated can, and will still be able to get guns via legal or illegal purchase, "borrowing" or stealing them. The only way people in public will be safer is if more citizens learn to carry and use guns to defend themselves and others and put a quick end to assailants like Va Tech and Columbine or McDonalds, etc.

I can't wait to see how this incompetent federal executive tackles the issue of pressure cookers.

And, everyone, take note, a demented mind is celebrating the attention the federal circus that has been injected by the media and federal leadership. With little doubt, the superficial celebrity public empathy is delivering the huge platfrom that a demented mind sought.

The narrative hasn't changed one iota, during the sensationalized circus that follows these tragedies and natural disasters. The song and dance is the same, lead by the media and the foolish leaders of the body politic. That is the impact that leadrship has done nothing but perpetuate.

Gun regulations, what a joke!

LOL, was it a joke in Australia, Japan, China, Russia, & Scotland?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

As a mam whose job and education is surrounded by statistics I'm always very interested to see what the statistics say about the issue.  I've seen a lot of R-Tarded memes going around the social media that talk about how there is less gun violence in a country that has the highest carry rate and how this country has no gun violence and has strict laws.

What I wanted to see was the data on gun deaths per 1000 people in relation to # of guns from EVERY country, yes there are other varying factors but all in all it's a much better starting point that ONE country.  What I found and if you don't believe me do the **** research yourself was that there was a small correlation between the number of guns in a society and total gun related murder rates.  Now before all the rootin tootin run lovers lose their minds it is worth noting that the data evens out when you take out the suicides.

Now what this tells me is both arguments are not supported by the data...less guns and more guns are not well supported by the overall data in terms of making us safer.  I want to look at other aspects of the issue, what makes a country an outlier? yes it Sweden a lot of people own guns and yet their is almost no homocides but in America we have the second highest carry rate and the most guns and we have insanely high numbers.

I would love to live in a world with no guns, but I realize how completely unrealistic that notion is.  It's not always about the stats either it's about culture, and guns are so embedded in American culture that any hopes of eradicating them are pipe dreams.  But background checks to make sure someone isnt a criminal and stopping a convicted felon from going online and buying a gun to me is just common sense.....and if you disagree with that I personally know at least 3 famillies in Newtown CT that would very much disagree with you. 

I am from the South, however my favorite team  is in Boston. I own many guns, now lets start talking about how good Aceves did last night and talk baseball & forget politics for a while.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

It certainly seems that way. You never know, a charismatic no-nonsense candidate could arise from the GOP; doubtful it's Ryan, Paul, Cruz or JB; maybe Rubio.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

Recent mass murders have all been commited by mentally unbalanced folks not law abiding gun owners.

Precisely why we need expanded background checks for starters. You're right, it wouldn't have prevented Sandy Hook because the murderer took the guns from his mother, who as far as I know had bought them legally. But it might have prevented Virginia Tech and Columbine. At the very least, it would prevent at least a small percentage of the thousands of firearm-related murders committed in the U.S. every year.

But more is needed. I'm not a gun owner, but if I were, I would have no problem with (a) background checks, (b) safety tests required before purchase, and (c) a national registry. None of that violates the intent or spirit of the Second Amendment.

+1

Lame duck President.

Gloats in victory, acts like an adolescent in defeat.

I watched his bitter take on the vote yesterday.

Sure to garner more support in the next round.

Not sure what this has to do with what we were discussing. As for Obama, he was a lot more reserved than I'd have been. I'd have called them all a bunch of gutless (rhymes with clockducking) cowards.

you're just about as intelligent as MR MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

byw, mr right-winger; it will be a long,long time before you get a REPUBLICAN as POTUS.

Almost on par with Obama stating Al Qaeda has been defeated.

I think Obama will do for the opposition party what Jimmy Carter did.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Shocking

Excuse me? I thought this thread was about the marathon bombing?

I was responding to softy. Now you're confusing the thread start with the ongoing discussion?  Big difference, and yet another excuse.

You seem to be one that has gotten lost in the thread.

You might have intended to respond to softy but were responding to Dobler's comments to me.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts