Extension for Cespedes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Extension for Cespedes

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Craig will probably take over IB for Nap if he stays healthy and gets his stroke back because he is much cheaper and plays even better 1B defense.

FG, the Fielding Bible, and the GG folks beg to differ.  Naps is a much better hitter and fielder right now.

[/QUOTE]

No, sorry I was vague...

I meant Craig is better at 1B than OF.

I agree, Napoli is a better defender than Craig, but Craig is under contract for much longer and cheaper, and moving Craif to 1B opens up an OF slot for a mega hitter yet to be obtained or for more time for Betts/Holt/JBJ/Nava.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Craig will probably take over IB for Nap if he stays healthy and gets his stroke back because he is much cheaper and plays even better 1B defense.

FG, the Fielding Bible, and the GG folks beg to differ.  Naps is a much better hitter and fielder right now.

[/QUOTE]

No, sorry I was vague...

I agree, Napoli is a better defender than Craig, but Craig is under contract for much longer and cheaper, and moving Craif to 1B opens up an OF slot for a mega hitter yet to be obtained or for more time for Betts/Holt/JBJ/Nava.

[/QUOTE]
    Fair enough moon but I do feel Craig is a bit better defensively,  I like Nap and Craig so lets agree we need a 3B to compliment them which is why I want Beltre back at 3B.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fair enough moon but I do feel Craig is a bit better defensively, I like Nap and Craig so lets agree we need a 3B to compliment them which is why I want Beltre back at 3B.

Unless we somehow get Tulo, I agree we would be much much better by acquiring a 3Bman. I just don't see Beltre as the answer. The main reason we did not extend him was the back end of his deal. I don't see the reasoning for trading for those last years now.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, sorry I was vague...

[/QUOTE]
    Fair enough moon but I do feel Craig is a bit better defensively,  I like Nap and Craig so lets agree we need a 3B to compliment them which is why I want Beltre back at 3B.

[/QUOTE]

The Rangers are a team with a huge payroll and a ton of talent that just happened to be snake bit this year.  They certainly aren't going into any "rebuilding" mode, so tell me again why you think they will have any interest in trading their best player this winter.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why is nobody on the board talking Hanley Ramirez? After years of "Trade for Hanley" the most realistic opportunity to bring him back has finally arrived. Anyone interested?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

None.  Misses way too many games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

One of my litmus tests for new Red Sox is the are they an instant hit or not....Cespedes has been a giant thud. Still no homers yet in a Sox jersey....He is barely hitting any line drives. That is not a good sign. Most of the best Sox acquisitions over the years immediately perform for Sox--Lowell, Beltre, VMART, AGON, Damon, Manny, and the list goes on...they hit right away....Cespedes...still waiting for this power.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of my litmus tests for new Red Sox is the are they an instant hit or not....Cespedes has been a giant thud. Still no homers yet in a Sox jersey....He is barely hitting any line drives. That is not a good sign. Most of the best Sox acquisitions over the years immediately perform for Sox--Lowell, Beltre, VMART, AGON, Damon, Manny, and the list goes on...they hit right away....Cespedes...still waiting for this power.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

• Lowell .673 OPS after 6 games
    • Beltre .583 after 15 games
    • Gonzo .647 after 4 games
    • Vmart was batting .200 after one games
    • Damon made out in his first at bat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

• Lowell .673 OPS after 6 games
    • Beltre .583 after 15 games
    • Gonzo .647 after 4 games
    • Vmart was batting .200 after one games
    • Damon made out in his first at bat.

[/QUOTE]

I really hope dannycater's post was meant as satire, but around here I can never be sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The year we had Beltre, he did not go deep until May...everyone was asking where the promised power was.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cespedes went yard tonight, so maybe he's found his groove.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

22 homers 80 ribbies? Trot Nixon type in reality... 

[/QUOTE]

Trot Nixon type ...lol lol ha ha ha .....Yes and Trot won 2 home run derby's in allstar game. Plus / Was that the Trot on roids or the the skinny Trot?....You a unhappy type in reality

[/QUOTE]

Actually Nixon in his prime was very comparable to Cespedes from a production level.  Nixon in his prime put up 27,24,28 home runs, which is more than Cespedes has done; 23, 26, 17 (so far this year).  RBIS Cespedes has put up 82,80,67 while Nixon gave us 88,94,87.  Batting average for Cespedes has been .292 .240 .258 while Nixon put up .280 .256 .306 in his prime. 

That was Nixons 27-29 age seasons, after that his career went down south, he was still productive on the field but battled injuries.  These numbers are compared to Cespedes age 26-28 age seasons.  

Nixon was actually bit more productive than Cespedes but the numbers are very identical, Nixon was much better at getting on base, and Cespedes is much better at running the bases.  Both are corner outfielders who have a GUN for an arm.

Unfortunately, Nixon never won a home run derby...perhaps if he did the Sox might have won another world series with him, because home run derby's win games. 

[/QUOTE]

Ok your so smart.... You win.  Take a poll across the league ? Would you want Trout Nixon  or Cespedes on your team? Trout was a good player but!!!  Wait till Cespedes retires to see how much better Trot was ? lol lol  We will continue this debate in about 10 years.... Hang in there !!!

[/QUOTE]

It's TROT, genius. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

There are 162 games in a season - Cespedes goes "yard" 23 times a season.... don't hold your collective breaths in between home-runs.

Heck Cespedes hits more homers in the derby than he does over the course of the season.

[/QUOTE]

CES has a good shot of being inducted into the HR DERBY HOF. When Oakland told Lucchino that CES was available, i'm sure Lucchino's 1st and only thought was "that guy's won 2 HR DERBYS in a row. Where do I sign?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trot Nixon type ...lol lol ha ha ha .....Yes and Trot won 2 home run derby's in allstar game. Plus / Was that the Trot on roids or the the skinny Trot?....You a unhappy type in reality

[/QUOTE]

Actually Nixon in his prime was very comparable to Cespedes from a production level.  Nixon in his prime put up 27,24,28 home runs, which is more than Cespedes has done; 23, 26, 17 (so far this year).  RBIS Cespedes has put up 82,80,67 while Nixon gave us 88,94,87.  Batting average for Cespedes has been .292 .240 .258 while Nixon put up .280 .256 .306 in his prime. 

That was Nixons 27-29 age seasons, after that his career went down south, he was still productive on the field but battled injuries.  These numbers are compared to Cespedes age 26-28 age seasons.  

Nixon was actually bit more productive than Cespedes but the numbers are very identical, Nixon was much better at getting on base, and Cespedes is much better at running the bases.  Both are corner outfielders who have a GUN for an arm.

Unfortunately, Nixon never won a home run derby...perhaps if he did the Sox might have won another world series with him, because home run derby's win games. 

[/QUOTE]

You are unhappy with yourself or just plain dumb. Who but you said that HOME RUN DURBYS WIN GAMES? Do you like to hear yourself. Maybe I said that I think Cespedes is better the Nixon? Plus way !!! better arm .You would want Nixon over Cespedes or same type player.Thats your choice. But home run durby's win games? That's your opinon also.... I guess!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok your so smart.... You win.  Take a poll across the league ? Would you want Trout Nixon  or Cespedes on your team? Trout was a good player but!!!  Wait till Cespedes retires to see how much better Trot was ? lol lol  We will continue this debate in about 10 years.... Hang in there !!!

[/QUOTE]

Dude...What debate???? all he said was Cespedes reminded him of Trot Nixon, not that he would have the same exact career,  If Cespedes stays healthy I'm sure he will have much better stats than Nixon.  But during his prime, when he was here in Boston, around the same age as Cespedes he was a very similar player and maybe even better.

You want to tell me that when Cespedes career is over he will have been the better player????

OK CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You just won an argument with yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Liked Nixon , Very good player who's best years were on riods. Say you want me to prove it? Well mister smarts , that's why he wasn't caught.... Now go have a argument with yourself over this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was never a Trotskyite.

He did have some nice seasons though unspectacular.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I call out Yoenis, he hits his first Sox homer, team wins due to 3-run homer....ummmmm....If I call out Jackie Bradley Jr, he will...never mind...:-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

I call out Yoenis, he hits his first Sox homer, team wins due to 3-run homer....ummmmm....If I call out Jackie Bradley Jr, he will...never mind...:-)

[/QUOTE]

Can you please start criticizing Bogaerts as well?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Actually Nixon in his prime was very comparable to Cespedes from a production level. Nixon in his prime put up 27,24,28 home runs, which is more than Cespedes has done; 23, 26, 17 (so far this year). RBIS Cespedes has put up 82,80,67 while Nixon gave us 88,94,87. Batting average for Cespedes has been .292 .240 .258 while Nixon put up .280 .256 .306 in his prime.

Nixon played in an era when 25-30 homeruns was practically the norm for a corner outfielder. He was not considered elite. Plenty of guys were hitting 35+ in those years. We need to look at Cespedes within the context of the times. Offense is significantly down league-wide, probably because of PED testing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually Nixon in his prime was very comparable to Cespedes from a production level. Nixon in his prime put up 27,24,28 home runs, which is more than Cespedes has done; 23, 26, 17 (so far this year). RBIS Cespedes has put up 82,80,67 while Nixon gave us 88,94,87. Batting average for Cespedes has been .292 .240 .258 while Nixon put up .280 .256 .306 in his prime.

Nixon played in an era when 25-30 homeruns was practically the norm for a corner outfielder. He was not considered elite. Plenty of guys were hitting 35+ in those years. We need to look at Cespedes within the context of the times. Offense is significantly down league-wide, probably because of PED testing.

[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, Trot's career OPS+ was 112 including his final few down years while Cespedes is 118 so far. Then again, Trot didn't hit much until his 3rd season.  So Trot seems to be a reasonable initial comparison.

If a bit better than Trot is a starting point there's reason for optimism.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Give me another Nixon in our OF any time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The starkest difference is that Trot Nixon had a career on-base percentage of .364 while Yoenis Cespedes has a career OBP of .318.

How much improvement can we expect of a player who is older than, say, Felix Hernandez?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

I`ve read a lot of posts on this topic and I have to say you all have valid points. But I personally like how they are setting themselves up for the offseason and have a show piece for the rest of the year if he does well. And a trade chip if he does well. And if he tears the cover off the ball the next 3 weeks. I offer him an extension because that means he is getting it in the clubhouse and on the field. Ortiz is going to be gone soon so left field or DH. Mixed with Napoli at DH. And Craig at first. With that being said. We still have the trade pcs for Stanton.

Brock right/third

Pedroia 2nd

Stanton/Cespedes  right/DH

Cespedes/Cruz  left/DH

Napoli/Ortiz  DH/first

Ortiz/Napoli  first/DH

Will Middlebrooks/Hanley Ramirez/McGehee  3rd

Xander Bogaerts /Holt  SS

Christian Vasquez /Daniel Butler/Russell Martin  catcher

J B J center

4th outfield would have to be Shane Vic/Nava/Craig

I like Vic/Craig both healthy

let them fight it out in spring training.

Starting Pitching

Max Scherzer

Brandon McCarthy

James Shields

Joe Kelly

Rubby De La Rosa

Allen Webster

Stanton long term

Max Scherzer long term

Cespedes mid to long term

I left some fighting for spots in the lineup.

we loose a lot of prospects in Stanton trade

If Stanton falls through we sign Cruz

Live every day like its your last till your team wins the next championship!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are unhappy with yourself or just plain dumb. Who but you said that HOME RUN DURBYS WIN GAMES? Do you like to hear yourself. Maybe I said that I think Cespedes is better the Nixon? Plus way !!! better arm .You would want Nixon over Cespedes or same type player.Thats your choice. But home run durby's win games? That's your opinon also.... I guess!

[/QUOTE]

You call me dumb, yet you didn't even realize I was making fun of you.  My point was besides a home run derby win Nixon in his prime was as good as Cespedes has been in his prime.  Actually Nixon had more HR's and more RBI's and a higher average and was well known for his strong arm.  Yes Cespedes arm is stronger, and he has more speed and even though they roughly hit the same amount of HR's he might have more raw power than Nixon did.  But there is a difference between raw power and game power....the only power that matters is game power not the power that shows up in a HR derby, that was my point that you COMPLETELY failed to realize....yet you went on on some rant about a point I was never even trying to make and only brought it up because YOU SAID THAT FIRST!!!! and I quote "
    Trot Nixon type ...lol lol ha ha ha .....Yes and Trot won 2 home run derby's in allstar game. Plus / Was that the Trot on roids or the the skinny Trot?....You a unhappy type in reality"

And offer one. ONE freakin shred of evidence that Nixon was on roids?????

Congratulations.....you won and argument with yourself....again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is only a relevant point if Nixon was on steroids....and I've yet to see one shred of evidence that he was ever connected to steroid use.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Troty was a grinder.

Sections
Shortcuts