Extension for Cespedes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Extension for Cespedes

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

anyhow just yankin your chain... I like him on the team... but he could not do enough the rest of the way in 2014 to warrant any big contract... his career numbers in the majors are not amazing.... he will need to play it out in 2015 a full year at fenway.

[/QUOTE]

Ok Softlaw

NEVER spend EVER

That's the philosophy

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Give me another Nixon in our OF any time.

[/QUOTE]

Too bad Tricky Dick is no longer with us. I heard he had a cannon for an arm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We got a definite pick as compared to a probable pick. I know it's a lower pick but it's $800,000 of spending money plus the pick. That is another Mookie Betts level bonus. And it's definite. Lester could have tanked in the last several months and not even be worth a QO or not gotten signed after one (ala Drew ) or gotten injured. A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush sometimes.

Plus we got more than 3 times as much control which is clearly significant in itself.

We needed RH power and we got that in Cespedes, when it is extremely hard to trade for or sign via free agency right now. And it was largely unavailable next winter via FA except for Hanley. Power hitting, relatively young OF are very much at a premium.

Finally, the bottom line is we are one of the few teams who would both covet Cespedes game as an extreme pull RH hitter, and be able to pay him what he is potentially worth. The Redsox have shown a willingness to even overpay for guys they really want, as they did with Victorino and Napoli. I think they are very likely to extend Cespedes this winter. They will offer him a real strong offer. If he still doesn't want it fine. We are making a calculated gamble but there is a real good chance this is a good fit for both Cespedes and the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ctredsoxfanhugh another player you might draw statistical comparison to is Josh Willingham. 

I love Cespedes on the team but let us not go crazy that he is anything more than a #5 or #6 hitter... who may or may not ever play in more than 140 games a season.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I think he could be one of the better #5 #6 guys out there, but he's not a true #3#4 on a first division team.  I think he's still a good bat, and the defense and speed adds more value as well, and he's a guy I'd like to keep around.....but we shouldn't act like he's going to replace Ortiz or anything. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If Cespedes can convert to playing an above average RF here in Fenway, in a park that would no doubt increase his power numbers from mid 20's HR/2B to maybe low 30's for both, than he is worth investing in.

I just want to see a little more in the OBP department before the year is done.

If Jayson Werth can get 7/126 starting the season in which he turns 32, then Cespedes for his full age 30 season should be looking for close to that. He doesn't have Werth's .280/.370 avg/OBP but they both have similar power #'s and post WAR's around 3.

If the Sox can lock Cespedes up on a 5 year 90 million Torii Hunter back in 2008 type extension this offseason, maybe with 5 million tossed onto his 2015 salary as a signing bonus and a 5 million buyout 20 million team option type deal, I think they would be doing quite well for themselves and Yoenis would win as well. 

6. This post has been removed.