Extension for Salty? Heres a couple good articles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Extension for Salty? Heres a couple good articles

Although we have a couple nice catching prospects in the minors (Vasquez and Swihart) Both are probably still at least 2 years away. To me, Lavarnway hasnt proved he can handle a FT role as a catcher. Ross is a PT guy at this point in his career, if he even returns after 2 concussions this year.

Salty is never going to be an elite backstop and none of us whop have been defending him the last couple years have even suggested that. With that said, besides McCann, who would be extremely pricey and in demand this off season, there isnt much out there. Salty can give you average defense and above average offense. Hes a smart catcher who understands what is going on at all time. The fangraphs interview shows exactly that.

Personally, I would look for a 3-4 year deal for Salty at around 8M per.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-depth-with-jarrod-saltalamacchia/

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/7/9/4505576/jarrod-saltalamacchia-red-sox-free-agent-rumors-extension

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Extension for Salty? Heres a couple good articles

In response to Bill-806's comment:

EXTENSION  ???????  Salty needs to be part of a trade for PITCHING !!   We have enough catchers in the system !!

another reason nobody does, or should take you seriously here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

EXTENSION  ???????  Salty needs to be part of a trade for PITCHING !!   We have enough catchers in the system !!

yeah we have Catchers in the "system" we don't have MLB ready catchers who can come in and handle a MLB pitching staff in the midst of a playoff run.  Trading Salty now would set precedent for historical stupdity. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Bill, the"Next Carlton Fisk" isn't...

What have you seen in Lavarnway this year, that tells you he should be our FT catcher?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

seriously guys, take a few minutes to read the fangraphs article on Salty. Its amazing what he knows, understands, and the preparation he does. Hes a very cerebral catcher.

It impressed me quite a bit. Id have no issue offering him a deal for the next 3-4 years in his prime until Vasquez and/or Swihart is ready. He would make a good mentor for them too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I dont think Salty signs 3-4 @ 8.  After McCann, he's top on the market.

I'm thinking base 10 at least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Bill, the"Next Carlton Fisk" isn't...

What have you seen in Lavarnway this year, that tells you he should be our FT catcher?

NOTHING

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

seriously guys, take a few minutes to read the fangraphs article on Salty. Its amazing what he knows, understands, and the preparation he does. Hes a very cerebral catcher.

It impressed me quite a bit. Id have no issue offering him a deal for the next 3-4 years in his prime until Vasquez and/or Swihart is ready. He would make a good mentor for them too.

I haven't been the biggest Salty fan but I've been pleasently surprised out how far he has come along.  He's not a defensive wizard but I'd say he is a solid average defensvie catcher at this point with good knowledge of the staff and above average offense for the position.  Considering the Catcher position is one of the hardest to develop and fill then I'd say extending Salty is no-brainer at the right price.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I agree...
    Although I said around 8 was a safe bet. I probably should have said 8-10 because thats what I was thinking...A little more direct that way.

Hes deserving of that much. Some here just dont realize how hard it is to have a guy like Salty play as many games as he does and still stay on the field avoiding injuries. Hes a good MLB catcher. Not elite, but better than most out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I haven't been the biggest Salty fan but I've been pleasently surprised out how far he has come along.  He's not a defensive wizard but I'd say he is a solid average defensvie catcher at this point with good knowledge of the staff and above average offense for the position.  Considering the Catcher position is one of the hardest to develop and fill then I'd say extending Salty is no-brainer at the right price.

Ive really become a fan over the last 2 years. IMO, Hes one of the better MLB catchers. Theres only a handful of true "elite" catchers. Its the hardest position to play and learn. Salty has made big strides over the last couple years and has earned an extension IMO. We have nobody who is ready to step in and take over. Salty could solidify the position for us over the next 4 years through his prime years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was mostly laughed and scoffed at when I suggested extending Salty last winter. I knew his price would likely go up and up. Good catchers are rare these days. Ones that hit RHPs very well even rarer. Even if he had declines a little from 2012, we could have traded him.

Now, the cost will probably more than $38M/4.

I remember some posters calling him "lazy" or a "back-up profile". They fail to grasp the state of the MLB catching situation these days.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I agree...
    Although I said around8 was a safe bet. I probably should have said 8-10 because thats what I was thinking...A little more direct that way.

Hes deserving of that much. Some here just dont realize how hard it is to have a guy like Salty play as many games as he does and still stay on the field avoiding injuries. Hes a good MLB catcher. Not elite, but better than most out there.

Also (to add to your good points): a lot of guys around here dont realize that 10M doesnt buy what it use to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

3 years 39M.

Make it happen Ben

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i'm all for giving Salty his money. he is a top 10 catcher IMO. He is getting better and better every year both offensively and defensively AND he knows our pitchers. He is entering his prime and i would love to see him around for another 3-4 years.

MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS!!
    TWISTING YOUR MIND AND SMASHING YOUR DREAMS!!
    BLINDED BY ME YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!
    JUST CALL MY NAME 'CUZ I'LL HEAR YOU SCREAM!!
    MASTER!! MASTER!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I understand the concept of not wanting to rock the boat at the catcher position mid season and so I am not asking for a trade of  Saltalamacchia. However, I am hoping with extreme hope that the Red Sox do not resign him.

I don't care how many times people repeat how he is an average defender. Its crap.

Where to begin? Fan graphs has rated his defense as negative 7 of 8 years. The lone exception is 2010, when he played just 12 games. He is minus -20.6 for his career.

His Defensive Runs Scored rating this season is 62-64 catchers. Third worst in baseball at -6. He ranks 2nd worst out of 66 catchers over the last 2 seasons at -11. And he is 2nd worst in the last 3 seasons at -15 total. And -22 for his career.

He is still a terrible thrower.

His CERA is still very bad at 4.19. Compared to Ross's 3.04. Even Lavarnway is better so far this year. And these horrible CERA numbers are coming off of horrible numbers the last two seasons aswell. Three straight seasons more then a run worse then the number two catcher is incredibly awful. This is the main reason I think he should not be resigned.

On offense he has a good OPS of .799. However, its is being sustained by a crazy high BABIP of .401, second highest in baseball with atleast 200 PA's. His offense this season is actually worse then last year if you take luck out of it. His K rate is at 34.6% making Napoli look like a contact hitter.  I predict by the end of the year he will have his 8th straight year below a .750 OPS while playing all 8 years in hitters parks.

Lavarnway and Ross should be the Red Sox catchers next year. Although I would be open to another veteran catcher other then Saltalamacchia.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

Why not offer him the the one year 13 million dollar qualifying and either go year to year with him at a slightly inflated price (which is made worth it by the length of the contract) or get draft picks

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

yeah we have Catchers in the "system" we don't have MLB ready catchers who can come in and handle a MLB pitching staff in the midst of a playoff run.  Trading Salty now would set precedent for historical stupdity. 

So far in this year Ryan Lavarnway is batting .286 (which places him fourth among catchers with at least 25 ABs in the AL) and his OPS is .715 which is 15th of the 37 catchers. He has hit at every level he has been given a chance to play at. His work at AAA ball is .288/.865. He has NEVER been given a chance in the majors to be the full time catcher, but if he were, my guess is that he would succeed. So we DO have at least one catcher who is likely ML ready. That makes Salty expendable (or Lavarnway expendable, depending on what the FO can get in return). I agree with Bill. We could use more pitching, especially good young pitching prospects.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I understand the concept of not wanting to rock the boat at the catcher position mid season and so I am not asking for a trade of  Saltalamacchia. However, I am hoping with extreme hope that the Red Sox do not resign him.

I don't care how many times people repeat how he is an average defender. Its crap.

Where to begin? Fan graphs has rated his defense as negative 7 of 8 years. The lone exception is 2010, when he played just 12 games. He is minus -20.6 for his career.

His Defensive Runs Scored rating this season is 62-64 catchers. Third worst in baseball at -6. He ranks 2nd worst out of 66 catchers over the last 2 seasons at -11. And he is 2nd worst in the last 3 seasons at -15 total. And -22 for his career.

His CERA is still very bad at 4.19. Compared to Ross's 3.04. Even Lavarnway is better so far this year. And these horrible CERA numbers are coming off of horrible numbers the last two seasons aswell. Three straight seasons more then a run worse then the number two catcher is incredibly awful. This is the main reason I think he should not be resigned.

On offense he has a good OPS of .799. However, its is being sustained by a crazy high BABIP of .401, second highest in baseball with atleast 200 PA's. His offense this season is actually worse then last year if you take luck out of it. His K rate is at 34.6% making Napoli look like a contact hitter.  I predict by the end of the year he will have his 8th straight year below a .750 OPS while playing all 8 years in hitters parks.

Lavarnway and Ross should be the Red Sox catchers next year. Although I would be open to another veteran catcher other then Saltalamacchia.

No context at all.

The Sox often used a "caddy system" with catchers and pitchers, so comparing two catchers without using context is not comparing apples to apples.

It's better to use pitcher by pitcher comparisons between the two catchers on the same team. Yes, Salty did worse than VTek even using that way to compare, but the differential was not as extreme as just looking ta overall CERA, and VTek was one of the very best.

Using Lava's tiny sample size this year is not even worth discussion.

Here's a look at our staff, one by one. Personally, I do not really count pitchers who have 80 IP with one guy and 10 with the other or single digit sample sizes as a viable comparative sampling, but here are the numbers after 100 games:

(IP) CERA/OPS against

w/ Salty              w/Ross              w/Lava

Lester         (77)  4.23/.676  (43) 5.27/.870     n/a

Dempster   (61)  4.43/.777  (36) 2.75/.695   (10) 6.30/.862

Lackey        (64)  2.40/.663  (11) 2.38/.715   (18) 4.42/.744

Doubront    (82)  4.06/.752    (5) 3.60/.570     (5)  3.60/.664

Buchholz    (49)  1.85/.555   (36)  1.51/.507

Tazawa       (27)  2.96/.718  (10)  2.61/.862    (1) 6.75/1.179

Uehara        (27)  1.67/.497    (8) 2.16/.659     (2) 4.50/.875

Aceves        (32)  4.78/.912    (4)  7.36/.813    (1) 0.00/1.000

Miller           (24)  2.96/.607    (3)  2.70/.778     (3) 0.00/.539

The differentials are pretty evenly split when viewed in the proper context.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Good analysis. I am also in favor of trading him for pitching and giving Lavarnway a real shot at the full time job. I think he will hit with much more authority than Salty.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

So far in this year Ryan Lavarnway is batting .286 (which places him fourth among catchers with at least 25 ABs in the AL) and his OPS is .715 which is 15th of the 37 catchers. He has hit at every level he has been given a chance to play at. His work at AAA ball is .288/.865. He has NEVER been given a chance in the majors to be the full time catcher, but if he were, my guess is that he would succeed. So we DO have at least one catcher who is likely ML ready. That makes Salty expendable (or Lavarnway expendable, depending on what the FO can get in return). I agree with Bill. We could use more pitching, especially good young pitching prospects.

I'm sorry I don't want to be rude but I stoped reading after " at least 25 at bats in the A.L."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Depth With Jarrod Saltalamacchia

by David Laurila - July 9, 2013

Jarrod Saltalamacchia has come a long way behind the plate. “Salty” isn’t among the elite at his position, but he’s developed into a solid defensive catcher. He is certainly among the most cerebral. Once looked at as an offense-first backstop, he is playing a key role in the success of a Boston Red Sox pitching staff that is exceeding expectations.

Thats the 1st paragraph from the link that I just posted from fangraphs. Apparently they dont think hes as bad as you do. Hes come a long way, especially over the last 16months. Hes just 28yrs old and is developing ointo a good MLB catcher. Problem is some fans want elite at all positions. Salty, compared to all MLB starting catchers is in the top 3rd. If you think we have, or are going to sign the next buster Posey or Y. Molina, think again. Most teams arent that lucck and would love to have a guy like saly on their team.

By the way, Moon did a better analysis in the correct, or at least closer to the correct context. Those who didnt like salty will never like him. Those like me who have an open mind and understand that players can improve and its not uncommon to see it at Saltys age, understand and can see the improvement. But hey, just go ahead and sign Ruiz for a year and let me know how you feel next June/July.

Maybe they wont sign him and thats fine, but to say hes a terrible catcher is so off the mark and shows a lack of what to watch for that the stats do not tell us. Defensive stats are very subjective and especially at catcher where there are so many intangibles that stats do not count for.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

No context at all.

The differentials are pretty evenly split when viewed in the proper context.

Funny how you left off the next 7 pitchers, all who have a lot better ERA with Ross. And 6-7 have a better OPS aswell.

CERA

Webster-Ross
    Bailey-Ross
    Hanrahan-Ross
    Breslow-Ross
    Wilson-Ross
    Mortenson-Ross
    Del La Torre-Ross

So this year, Salty has a worse CERA with 13 pitchers and better with just 3. And you showed it at 10-2 and 10-6 the last two seasons. Add it up and its 33-11 better ERA with the backup catcher. Thats pretty significant and pretty ugly.

Didn't feel context was needed when we have gone over this a couple of times and the numbers are so extreme. As I said, when they are this extreme, the numbers will almost always come out looking ugly no matter the context. And the 13-3 this year is an example of that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In Depth With Jarrod Saltalamacchia

by David Laurila - July 9, 2013

Jarrod Saltalamacchia has come a long way behind the plate. “Salty” isn’t among the elite at his position, but he’s developed into a solid defensive catcher. He is certainly among the most cerebral. Once looked at as an offense-first backstop, he is playing a key role in the success of a Boston Red Sox pitching staff that is exceeding expectations.

Thats the 1st paragraph from the link that I just posted from fangraphs. Apparently they dont think hes as bad as you do. Hes come a long way, especially over the last 16months. Hes just 28yrs old and is developing ointo a good MLB catcher. Problem is some fans want elite at all positions. Salty, compared to all MLB starting catchers is in the top 3rd. If you think we have, or are going to sign the next buster Posey or Y. Molina, think again. Most teams arent that lucck and would love to have a guy like saly on their team.

Correct me if I am wrong, but its David Laurila at Fan Graphs, not Fan Graphs as a whole. Also, doesn't he write at Sox Prospects? Lets just say I disagree with David Laurila.

Sections
Shortcuts