Extenstion talks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

Re: Extenstion talks

al 34 is dead on...lets worry about making 2013 better first.....before we laetr complain about having our money tied up ben....seems to be another act of deflection the fo is becoming so good at

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Who said there is a rush to sign him? Not Ben. There have been discussions as there should be for many reasons.

Is it ok if BC sleeps at night too, or would you feel better that he doesnt so he can build this team? Are you telling me that a couple talks with pedey and his agent will hurt their attempt to field a winning team for 2013? Really? I guess some are just looking for more reasons to complain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who said there is a rush to sign him? Not Ben. There have been discussions as there should be for many reasons.

Is it ok if BC sleeps at night too, or would you feel better that he doesnt so he can build this team? Are you telling me that a couple talks with pedey and his agent will hurt their attempt to field a winning team for 2013? Really? I guess some are just looking for more reasons to complain.

[/QUOTE]

They are just using this as a deflection to take the heat off of their lack of doing anything except picking up a backup catcher at this point. I also have no confidence in Larry Luchinno either who blatantly spins issues like picking up a pitcher at the beginning of last season and "empowering Cherrington to do something big at the trade deadline " of which neither was done. Yes there was a salry dump a couple of weeks later to save Henry millions at the end of the season and in the future as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

The Sox are talking to pedroia about locking him up for the rest of his career in Boston. They also mentioned Will Middlebrooks and Jon Lester...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/red-sox-plan-extension-talks-with-dustin-pedroia.html

Cherrington is looking to have a core of players for the forseeable future. Good move.

[/QUOTE]

Whats the hurry to lock up Pedroia and Lester now? I think they ought to wait to see how healthy Pedroia can be next year and what kind of pitcher Lester is as well. He didn't pitch well this year and if there is a repeat performance next year I don't want him locked up. The team made the mistake of locking up some bums recently and I hope they have learned from their mistakes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

One of the toughest calls to make southpaw.  Lester and Pede have had recent setbacks and Middy has yet to play his first full season, while already spending time on the DL. 

I agree about keeping the core together buts still a crap shoot, like with Beckett. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whats the hurry to lock up Pedroia and Lester now? I think they ought to wait to see how healthy Pedroia can be next year and what kind of pitcher Lester is as well. He didn't pitch well this year and if there is a repeat performance next year I don't want him locked up. The team made the mistake of locking up some bums recently and I hope they have learned from their mistakes.

[/QUOTE]

I don't get it either mr green

what's the rush with any of them especially mbrooks

seems like sox are taking an unnecessary risk after such a short sample

why not wait at least another yr

then again TB extended Longoria after a month

almost like buying the cow when you get the milk for free

[/QUOTE]

I agree as far as Middlebrooks, but their thinking with Pedroia may be, with Cano becoming a free agent next year, he'll be looking for a huge contract (already rumored to be 200,000) which will drive up PD's asking price. They may want to try to lock him in long term, for less.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

The Sox are talking to pedroia about locking him up for the rest of his career in Boston. They also mentioned Will Middlebrooks and Jon Lester...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/red-sox-plan-extension-talks-with-dustin-pedroia.html

Cherrington is looking to have a core of players for the forseeable future. Good move.

[/QUOTE]

Just read this too.  I think holding onto the core is great.  I think the hardest thing to see is what to add to the core that makes us viable.  We have some good prospects, but with the thin FA market makes me nervous.   Admittedly, I don't know enough about the construct of what it will take to turn the corner but I am very glad to keep Pedey, espcially, and Lester and Clay.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Pedroia and Middlebrooks are the only serious trade bait we have for an ace.....personally i would wait on lester - if he doesnt return to form then that is two years in a row he has declined...not a good sign...

we had all these players last year and we stunk -  i agree with Alibike, get some impact players and then think about resigning these three....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He has them for another two years, what is the rush here  unless management wants a lower base salary for the next two years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree as far as Middlebrooks, but they're thinking with Pedroia may be, with Cano becoming a free agent next year, he'll be looking for a huge contract (already rumored to be 200,000) which will drive up PD's asking price. They may want to try to lock him in long term, for less.

[/QUOTE]

JBay no way Pedroia is as good a hitter as Cano nor does he deserve that type of money which is rediculous.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree as far as Middlebrooks, but they're thinking with Pedroia may be, with Cano becoming a free agent next year, he'll be looking for a huge contract (already rumored to be 200,000) which will drive up PD's asking price. They may want to try to lock him in long term, for less.

[/QUOTE]

JBay no way Pedroia is as good a hitter as Cano nor does he deserve that type of money which is rediculous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He has them for another two years, what is the rush here  unless management wants a lower base salary for the next two years.

[/QUOTE]

this really does make little sense considering the record of the team, middlebrooks small sample size, the shakiness of lester in 2012, and pedroia's recent injuries...

better off adding core players, not resigning ones you already have under contract...but then again Ben is the master of lateral moves

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think I get the logic of extending now.....it's a negotiation...the Sox have - presumably! - two more quality years from Midds at 500k per...they and he then share 3 more years at or probably under market value through arb.  Then it's free agency at the money trough.

The longer the Sox wait, the worse their negotiating position.

Should have waited to bring him up!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think I get the logic of extending now.....it's a negotiation...the Sox have - presumably! - two more quality years from Midds at 500k per...they and he then share 3 more years at or probably under market value through arb.  Then it's free agency at the money trough.

I really thought that would've been obvious.  The pros and cons offset.  If he has a bad season, it was a bad idea.  If he has a good season, it was a good idea.  There is no real value judgement here.  It doesn't even make sense to question the extension without knowing the terms.  For example, would anyoine object to $5M/5 for WMB?  Of course not, so why complain until you know the terms.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

thanks SonicsMonksLyresVicars

I more or less understand the concept

but they could still save money by

doing it next yr with less risk

I think the yanks actually waited until cano was arbitration eligible

obviously they are very confident he will continue to shine

as he did for a 1/2 of a season this yr

[/QUOTE]

Ah, I think we're largely in agreement Zac.  I believe the Sox could save money by extending Midds now, as above....but if it was my decision I would definitely wait at least half a season because Midds' sample size is so small and the risk therefore so great.

With all due respect, Midds is no Longoria....I think he'll have a good, good+ career but there's a real chance his indiscipline at the plate will hurt him badly, and his fielding may not develop to be a plus to offset any possible offensive regression.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree as far as Middlebrooks, but their thinking with Pedroia may be, with Cano becoming a free agent next year, he'll be looking for a huge contract (already rumored to be 200,000) which will drive up PD's asking price. They may want to try to lock him in long term, for less.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wasnt suggesting he was or does, AL. My point is, the more Cano gets, the higher Pedroia's price tag will be. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can almost buy signing Pedroia long term. I have seen enough of him to know that he will always be a good ball player, at least until age catches up to him, and he will always give 110% out there. WMB has not even played one full season here; its absurd to sign him long term until we see him for at least one more year. And as for Lester, I think that signing him long term is patently unwise. His velocity is down and is likely to continue to go down. He stunk last year and frankly, I do not see him improving to anything more than a functional #4 SP for an ostensibly contending team (the standards are higher for teams in contention IMO).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

duplicate

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Me!  Me!  Pay attention to me!  I'm Softlaw!  I can't get laid, so I make assinine comments to attract attention to myself!  Me, me, pay attention to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  [If you are a hot, young male, I'm ready and waiting on 1-800-strapme]"

Folks, take a look at the above comment of hysteria. He's simply projecting his own frustrations. The 1-800 quip is quite revealing.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, "strapme" is the phone number a girl gave me at Spit (Lansdowne Street club) around 1987.  It was really her home phone number spelled out.  The details will not be shared here.

[/QUOTE]

Still living in the past for your best days?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They are just using this as a deflection to take the heat off of their lack of doing anything except picking up a backup catcher at this point. I also have no confidence in Larry Luchinno either who blatantly spins issues like picking up a pitcher at the beginning of last season and "empowering Cherrington to do something big at the trade deadline " of which neither was done. Yes there was a salry dump a couple of weeks later to save Henry millions at the end of the season and in the future as well.

[/QUOTE]

No, one reason is because of cano and his contract hes sure to get. if he signs first that will make Pedeys go way up, so they want to take care of that extension now... They also would like him to spend his career here,or most of it anyway. He might not get or deserve as much as cano, but either way it will drive his price up.

I dont think they will extend WMB until next offseason if they do anyway. His and Lesters names were just mentioned as possibilities while Pedey was the main concern right now for reasons above.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, one reason is because of cano and his contract hes sure to get. if he signs first that will make Pedeys go way up, so they want to take care of that extension now... They also would like him to spend his career here,or most of it anyway. He might not get or deserve as much as cano, but either way it will drive his price up.

I dont think they will extend WMB until next offseason if they do anyway. His and Lesters names were just mentioned as possibilities while Pedey was the main concern right now for reasons above.

[/QUOTE]

I love Pede southpaw but Cano will get much more on the open market regardless.  He has been one of the most consistent all round players in the league.  Pede has been injured a couple times and would need to get back to his old stats before being anywhere close in value.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see any or all of the three extended.  But for one reason nobody as mentioned:

It makes them more tradeable.

If I were in their shoes there's no way I'd sign an extention without a no trade clause.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of the toughest calls to make southpaw.  Lester and Pede have had recent setbacks and Middy has yet to play his first full season, while already spending time on the DL. 

I agree about keeping the core together buts still a crap shoot, like with Beckett. 

[/QUOTE]

You take a chance signing any player. I think Pedey would be Ok adding a couple more years to his deal before the market skyrockets when Cano gets his mega-deal.

also, I never said pedey would get or deserves to get as much as Cano. Just the fact that when Cano gets paid, the market price will go up. better to lock him up now.

Sections
Shortcuts