Extra Wild Card

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FansCommish. Show FansCommish's posts

Extra Wild Card

What if baseball changed the rules this year and added an extra Wild Card?

Would it add more excitement to the last month for both Red Sox and Yankee fans?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Extra Wild Card

For us? No probably not, for Blue Jay, and Rays fans it would be a godsend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Baseball allows 162 games to make 4 playoff spots. Allowing a team in and a hot streak to win it is absurd! Really, it should be two divisions East and West and just two teams from each league who go for WS. Schedule should be balanced with no IL.

Now, if a WC team gets hot, they can win it all. Not really good for the integrity of the competition. 162 game Season should mean enough to eliminate even a hot team at the end of the year.

TV is ruining the integrity of the long season to get to WS. All about quantity of programming and not quality in pay cable and sat. era! WS used to be special where 162 game season decided it all to get there. Travel makes sense to have east and west, but no more than that! Quality of competition skyrockets if just two teams do battle at end of 162. Making a WC in it just allows for flukes and injury before ALCS. I hate format!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

In Response to Re: Extra Wild Card:
    [QUOTE]Baseball allows 162 games to make 4 playoff spots. Allowing a team in and a hot streak to win it is absurd! Really, it should be two divisions East and West and just two teams from each league who go for WS. Schedule should be balanced with no IL. Now, if a WC team gets hot, they can win it all. Not really good for the integrity of the competition. 162 game Season should mean enough to eliminate even a hot team at the end of the year. TV is ruining the integrity of the long season to get to WS. All about quantity of programming and not quality in pay cable and sat. era! WS used to be special where 162 game season decided it all to get there. Travel makes sense to have east and west, but no more than that! Quality of competition skyrockets if just two teams do battle at end of 162. Making a WC in it just allows for flukes and injury before ALCS. I hate format!
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

it's all about the money, softy. integrity would never factor in.
    kind of a microcosm of america itself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Too many teams. If up were up to me it would be two divisions no wild card.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The more teams in the hunt the better...it's a model that's proven to work. It's about keeping the turnstyles moving and butts in seats...the more teams in the hunt on September 1st the more fans stay connected, and spens their hard eraned dollars watching cable TV and going to the parks...Lets remember baseball is a regional sport, which is one of the stregnths of the current system and alignment...

I'm and advocate of keeping the current system of one WC team, but making all series seven games played within week times...with an off day between each sereies...if you truly want the best team to win, forcing them to use all 5 starters will expose the pretenders from the contenders...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

2 wild cards, 1 playoff game between the two. This makes winning a division have a point, keeping it so all 162 matter, while giving more teams a fighting chance in stacked divisions. (AL and NL Easts).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FansCommish. Show FansCommish's posts

If we had two Wild Cards then Boston and NY would fight to the finish to come in first.

A one game Wild Card game will be added next year, why not start it this year, and add spark to Boston and NY?

All playoff series will then be seven games in nine days

Interleague will be one complete division and three rivalry games.

Houston will be in AL West

16 iinterdivisional games and eight games with every team in the same league.

64, 80, 18.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

If we had two Wild Cards then Boston and NY would fight to the finish to come in first.

true

A one game Wild Card game will be added next year, why not start it this year, and add spark to Boston and NY?

this yr ? that's kind of silly even to suggest

besides I doubt  a 1 gm play off will ever  happen

both owners will want a home game

All playoff series will then be seven games in nine days

Interleague will be one complete division and three rivalry games.

sorry you lost me there

Houston will be in AL West

good luck with that

they will fight hard against that

16 iinterdivisional games and eight games with every team in the same league.

64, 80, 18

I'm still lost

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Extra Wild Card:
    [QUOTE]The more teams in the hunt the better...it's a model that's proven to work. It's about keeping the turnstyles moving and butts in seats...the more teams in the hunt on September 1st the more fans stay connected, and spens their hard eraned dollars watching cable TV and going to the parks...Lets remember baseball is a regional sport, which is one of the stregnths of the current system and alignment... I'm and advocate of keeping the current system of one WC team, but making all series seven games played within week times...with an off day between each sereies...if you truly want the best team to win, forcing them to use all 5 starters will expose the pretenders from the contenders...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I don't mind things as they are, BT

but a 2nd wild card is coming and if done right should be a plus

I think the team that wins the division

should win some kind of an advantage over a wc

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It would impossible to change this for this 2011 season at this point.

They would never add an extra Wild Card team during the season. This would have to be agreed upon before a season starts. What about teams that traded away talent at the deadline who have given up already? Now the league is going to change the rule in mid-stream and suddenly they have a chance?

Not going to happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Adding another WC really doesn't bother me because it would at least give teams an added incentive to win division. What I don't like is having 2, 15 team leagues that means you will have inter-league play throughout year due to odd number of teams. Baseball will then have to decide DH or no DH, they can't let the different rules nonsense play out over a full season.