Fab Five

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Fab Five

Not the Michigan freshmen basketballers of 2-3 decades ago. 

I mean the first five in the Sox lineup:  Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, Youk, Papi.  All five are among the top ten OPS's in the AL. 

That is mind-boggling. 

They also dominate all the Sox offensive stats--runs, hits, rbi's, stolen bases, total bases, etc. 

They are the primary reason why the Sox have the best offense in MLB and almost the best record--today the Sox are .5 games behind the Phillies, but 3 ahead of the Yankees and a bunch ahead of everyone else in the AL--despite a so-so pitching staff. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Fab Five

Murderer's Row, absolutely

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterbase. Show betterbase's posts

The five are truly amazing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I thought you ere referring to the Beatles plus George Martin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Can you guys think of a better 1-5 in Sox history?  Off hand, I cannot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Maybe Crawford can even make it 6....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think Reddick has a better shot than Crawford, who has a dreadful swing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Fab5Freddy???

Rapture.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Fab Five:
    I think Reddick has a better shot than Crawford, who has a dreadful swing. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Max, it is a dreadful swing indeed.  But, when that dreadful swing is clicking, it is highly effective.  A.  He has enough raw power in that swing that he transforms weak contact squibs into gappers and wall-bangers.  B.  Because he swings instinctively, there are very few spots a pitcher can rely on to get him out (see Vlad G.).  He gave the Sox fits with this unorthodox, free-swinging style for years.  Granted, he has not gotten it going this year.  And perhaps his lack of consistent mechanics makes it harder for him to work out his problems.  But, if he does, as he has prior to this year, that dreadful swing will make this line-up even more fearsome.

Of course, in the short run, i'll take reddick thank you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

And Youk's OPS is still off compared to the past 3 years by about 70 points!

I do not recall a better top five. Fearsome.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Can you guys think of a better 1-5 in Sox history?  Off hand, I cannot.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Maybe the 78 Sox murderers row team. Rice, Lynn, Evans, Yaz, Hobson, Scott, Fisk,Rooster. But maybe not as good 1-5, Think Rem Dawg was playing 2nd then. 99 wins and 2nd place oh my!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Fab Five : Max, it is a dreadful swing indeed.  But, when that dreadful swing is clicking, it is highly effective.  A.  He has enough raw power in that swing that he transforms weak contact squibs into gappers and wall-bangers.  B.  Because he swings instinctively, there are very few spots a pitcher can rely on to get him out (see Vlad G.).  He gave the Sox fits with this unorthodox, free-swinging style for years.  Granted, he has not gotten it going this year.  And perhaps his lack of consistent mechanics makes it harder for him to work out his problems.  But, if he does, as he has prior to this year, that dreadful swing will make this line-up even more fearsome. Of course, in the short run, i'll take reddick thank you.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Interesting.  Glad to hear the positive side on someone who is very much a Red Sox, and I certainly hope you are right. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Here are you choices:

2011:

Ellsbury
    Pedey
    Gonzalez
    Youk
    Ortiz

2003:

Damon
    Walker
    Nomar