Fan claims Braves coach made slurs/gestures

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Fan claims Braves coach made slurs/gestures

From ESPN.com:

LOS ANGELES -- Atlanta pitching coach Roger McDowell apologized Wednesday in response to a fan's complaint that McDowell spewed homophobic comments, made crude sexual gestures and threatened to knock out his teeth with a bat before the Braves played the San Francisco Giants over the weekend.

"I am deeply sorry that I responded to the heckling fans in San Francisco on Saturday," McDowell said in a statement. "I apologize to everyone for my actions." 

Justin Quinn, 33, of Fresno said he was in the stands at AT&T Park in San Francisco during pregame batting practice with his wife and 9-year-old twin daughters when he noticed McDowell hectoring three men and asking them, "Are you guys a h0mo couple or a three some?" Quinn said he proceeded to make crude sexual gestures with his hips and a bat.

Quinn, who was down in front of the field, then shouted, "Hey there are kids out here," he said during a news conference at the Los Angeles office of noted attorney Gloria Allred.

Quinn alleged that the coach replied that kids don't belong at a baseball park, picked up a bat, walked up to Quinn and asked him, "How much are your teeth worth?"

Quinn said he felt threatened and was unsure whether McDowell intended to hit him.

"My kids are in panic mode ... they're like grabbing onto me," Quinn said. "I'm talking to him, trying to calm him down and the kids are screaming."

Some parents who were in the stands with their children began to boo at McDowell and came down to retrieve their children. Quinn said that eventually McDowell walked away.

Quinn said he filed a complaint with Giants personnel and also with police but missed most of the game, although his wife and daughters stayed to see it.

Allred sent a letter Wednesday to Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig asking that he launch an investigation and take "appropriate disciplinary action." She also demanded that McDowell take sensitivity training.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation said that even though McDowell has apologized, the Braves and Major League Baseball must take "real disciplinary action and send the message that anti-gay slurs have no place in sports."

"Professional sporting events should be an environment that all fans and families can enjoy, not a place where children are exposed to violent threats and discriminatory language," the alliance's president, Jarrett Barrios, said.

Selig said the Braves assured his office that they will immediately investigate the allegations and report the results to him.

"Although I do not yet have all the facts regarding this incident, the allegations are very troubling to me," Selig said in a statement. He said he will decide how to proceed after he gets all the facts.

Quinn's children, Taylor and Kaylyn, said they were upset by McDowell's remarks and actions.

"Kids should be allowed to be at baseball games without a coach yelling at them or other people," Kaylyn said.

Taylor said she was upset to hear McDowell say that kids don't belong in baseball parks.

"Children should not have to hear disgusting things they don't want to hear," she said.

Quinn said his family has not heard from the Braves or McDowell.

McDowell, who pitched for 12 years in the major leagues, issued his apology after the Braves beat the San Diego Padres 7-0 Wednesday afternoon.

McDowell was a star reliever with the New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies in the late `80s and early `90s, and was a member of New York's 1986 World Series-winning club. He was named Atlanta's pitching coach in 2005.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Fan claims Braves coach made slurs/gestures

I would like for you to define "homophobic"?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

"homophobic" would be in the societal not strict sense defined as people who A. Oppose giving gays the same rights offered to everyone else
    B. Those who use slurs or commit violent acts towards people, simply beacuse of something that is beyond their control, not to mentio common in nature amongst al mammals
    C. Jerks like you

In short......... it means your a bigot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Interesting that all the articles I've seen on this incident seem to emphasize the anti-gay slurs, which, while obviously out of line, don't seem to be on the same level as the threat of violence and the intimidation of a fan and his children. One would think those would be the more serious charges. Curious.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Fan claims Braves coach made slurs/gestures:
    [QUOTE]Interesting that all the articles I've seen on this incident seem to emphasize the anti-gay slurs, which, while obviously out of line, don't seem to be on the same level as the threat of violence and the intimidation of a fan and his children. One would think those would be the more serious charges. Curious.
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you Flapjack.Being called a name is far less serious(but certainly inappropriate) than a threat of bodily harm to the person or their children IMO.The threat of violence escalates the situation.Then it reaches another level if there's actual physical contact.
       McDowell was way out of line and I imagine he's going to get a huge fine and suspension.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Yes, the violence is totally inexcusable ... name calling is one thing, gesturing in front of children another ... but violence towards fans SHOULD get McDowell suspended.  That is just plain unacceptable behavior anywhere, anytime.   Roger needs some classes and meds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The only reason he apologized was because the story had legs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The slurs are worse than the threat of violence because the politically correct storm troopers said so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

too bad my post got deleted. I would have loved to have gotten an answer from the guy who made the comment about having one in his foxhole.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

He obviously a. doesn't care that people know that this is who he is or b. is a complete moron, because if he didn't realized that in 2011 this kind of thing was going to end up in the media that is what he is, complete moron.

What a loser.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well here's the thing. poster who is a vet said he wouldn't mind having a homophobe in his foxhole. I gave him the definition of what that was. my reason for asking him if he was sure about that is because the fruitcake so called church that demonstrates during military funerals are clearly the definition of homophobics. see what I'm saying? I'm a vet too and I would not be willing to share a foxhole with someone that had that much hatred in his heart for someone that lived an alternative lifestyle different from my own.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

The threats were the more egregious offense, but the slurs and gestures warranted an apology as well.

And softy, are you really not capable of surmising what's meant by that term?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

What the story leaves out is how the interaction between the three men and McDowell started. McDowell claims to have been "responding to heckling fans." What were they saying? No matter what, the MLB veteran should know better than to open his mouth and say something so obviously incendiary... then to add gestures?!? Hasn't this dolt heard of the iPhone? He's lucky the whole thing isn't pasted all over YouTube (yet).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Wan't Roger McDowell the one who spit at Kramer and Newman with the "Magic Loogie"? They thought it was Kieth Hernandez, but it was McDowell, the second spitter hiding behind the bushes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm not sure how much stock I put into this.From WEEI.com:

High-profile attorney Gloria Allred, who on Wednesday stood with Giants fan Justin Quinn and accused Braves coach Roger McDowell of making crude comments, gestures and threats to fans over the weekend, said Thursday that a second fan has contacted her about an incident involving McDowell in another state. The commissioner's office said it is waiting for the Braves to finish gathering information before making a decision about possible punishment.

Sections
Shortcuts