Fan former Red Sox Player FA Referendum #1: Jason Varitek? A: Overwhelming Majority of Red Sox Fans Want Varitek to Stay Gone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Fan former Red Sox Player FA Referendum #1: Jason Varitek? A: Overwhelming Majority of Red Sox Fans Want Varitek to Stay Gone

Right or wrong, and fans are frequently wrong about player values, ownership and management always capitulates when it comes to a player that the overwhelming majority of Red Sox fans want gone. Thus, I am starting a series of threads on current Red Sox players who are FA, and whether Red Sox fans want them back. It is assumed that management understands FA market costs for player concerned, so each fan please provide just whether you want said player back or gone for the good of the team, not if it was at a low price or matters such as that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Fan former Red Sox Player FA Referendum #1: Jason Varitek?

In Response to Fan former Red Sox Player FA Referendum #1: Jason Varitek?:
    Right or wrong, and fans are frequently wrong about player values, ownership and management always capitulates when it comes to a player that the overwhelming majority of Red Sox fans want gone. Thus, I am starting a serious of threads on current Red Sox players who are FA, and whether Red Sox fans want them back. It is assumed that management understands FA market costs for player concerned, so each fan please provide just whether you want said player back or gone for the good of the team, not if it was at a low price or matters such as that.
    Posted by hankwilliams

Yes. as our bench coach

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

Start a poll on whether anybody wants u back Hank. I guarantee you are ousted in a landslide. By the way Hank Williams is rolling over in his grave knowing you are using his name.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I know Hank Williams.  And you're no Hank Williams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Fan former Red Sox Player FA Referendum #1: Jason Varitek?:
    Start a poll on whether anybody wants u back Hank. I guarantee you are ousted in a landslide. By the way Hank Williams is rolling over in his grave knowing you are using his name.
    Posted by coachzap

Maybe he's Hank Williams Jr.

..and he's not ready for some football. He wants to poll us about free agent players.

O.k. , I'll bite.

Varitek is not a tough decision on whether he should be back as a player. Even at bargain prices his usefulness on field diminishes every season.

Like Wakefiled,Ortiz and (formerly) Mike Timlin...it is hard to part with them for sentimental reasons. But if you use your head, if you want success, you need to look at the skills and realize that younger players are faster, more agile and have more durability and stamina at this point.

Say goodbye to Varitek. Welcome him back for a "Jason Varitek Day" in the not too distant future. Applaud loudly for him if he returns in another uniform ( yes even a Yankees uniform...although extremely unlikley).

His contributions should not go uncelebrated. However it is time to say goodbye.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

There's a trar inmy beer
    Since Jake had a great year

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Tek showed me he needs to leave the Red Sox organization with his lack of leadership during the month of Sept. on the field, in the dugout and in the clubhouse.

I wouldn't wait, he would be the #1 guy to go today, even before Lackey and Beckett. I wouldn't try to trade him--just good bye--thanks for what you did for us. You didn't have your managers back when he needed you the most.

Perhaps if Beckett is traded to the new AL team--the Astros--he will suggest they sign you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

Not only don't I want him back, I think he should be banned from ever setting foot, not only in Fenway Park, but within the city boundaries ever again. He's the biggest fraud we've ever seen, and a useless one as well. Good riddance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why everyone keep wanting him to come back since like three years ago.  We didnt cry over Pedro, Lowe, Schilling, Bay, and others leaving the team for whatever their reasons were.  Now I am seeing that alot of posters want Tek to come back. 

Come on, no.  Let the young guys to learn the game as well to increase their value for the future such as to use them for a possible trade bait, etc. 

So therefore, Wake and Tek are gone!!!  Period!!!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

As much as I admire Jason and appreciate what he has done for the team, I think his time has come. It's time to find out what Lavarnaway can do with the big club.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Why everyone keep wanting him to come back since like three years ago.  We didnt cry over Pedro, Lowe, Schilling, Bay, and others leaving the team for whatever their reasons were.  Now I am seeing that alot of posters want Tek to come back.  Come on, no.  Let the young guys to learn the game as well to increase their value for the future such as to use them for a possible trade bait, etc.  So therefore, Wake and Tek are gone!!!  Period!!!  
    Posted by GoUconn13
    Excuse me, but how did you pass grade school English?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think it is certainly time for Jason to hang 'em up.  Nevertheless, those of you crushing the guy, what kind of Sox fan are you?  When you can just trash the heart of the 2 time champion Sox of the last decade like you do, I have complete understanding of why the Boston press are such negative vultures.  They are just giving you people what you want.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I realize that 'Tek' is the greatest  game caller that baseball has ever seen, but the '12 Sox will have to struggle on with out him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I realize that 'Tek' is the greatest  game caller that baseball has ever seen, but the '12 Sox will have to struggle on with out him.
    Posted by attic-dan

Struggle without him...you re a such poor sportmanship red sox fan!!  

Yankees had Posada who is probably one of the better defense catcher for the Yankees, and now last year, it is the first time he didnt play as a catcher except maybe one or two games.  Still the Yankees won the division!!

come on, Salty/Lavarnway will do a fine job!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Varitek did a great job for the Sox but his time has come and the only way I wish to see him back in Boston is as a fan in the seats.  Recognize him with an appreciation day but not with a contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Not only don't I want him back, I think he should be banned from ever setting foot, not only in Fenway Park, but within the city boundaries ever again. He's the biggest fraud we've ever seen, and a useless one as well. Good riddance.
    Posted by greenapplesplatters
     How do you really feel?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from VtRedSoxFan802. Show VtRedSoxFan802's posts

In Response to Fan former Red Sox Player FA Referendum #1: Jason Varitek? : Yes. as our bench coach
    Posted by seannybboi

I vote for that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I know Hank Williams.  And you're no Hank Williams.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

More like Dick Williams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

By Dick Williams, I mean a hugely knowledgable and supportive Red Sox fan, much like the Sox' former manager.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I vote yes and my reasoning is too make him the b/u in reserve while he is the active Pitching coach,this would be a win,win situation Tek has given a lot to this team and deserves to continue as the main guy in charge of the pitchers only now it is time for his role to change.....As for his being the pitching coach who in all of baseball knows this staff as well as Tek? Farrell maybe but not as intimately,Tek has a working relationship with most of the veteran members of this staff and knows their idiocyncracies....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

39 YEARS OLD !  AS DAD WOULD SAY....... "SON, TIME TO GET A REAL JOB" !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

....and your "real job" is/was....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Posted by coachzap

czap

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

As to the OP's question....I call your attention to Dick Dietz.  While his career didn't have the longevity of 'Tek, he was a decent catcher, and a great backup catcher, for years.

Dick Bertell, in contrast, would not be a good comparison to 'Tek.  Possessing neither good hands nor a stout bat he was more-or-less a damp squid.  In the "Swinging Sixties" his bat was more of a limp linguine.

Sadly, too many people like the OP have forgotten Dick Billings...another backstop with a firm grip of the baseball and a willingness with the bat that simply didn't have the talent to make it all the way.

In summary, I believe 'Tek is well past his prime, but was one of, if not the, best backup catchers in 2011.  And I'd happily have him in spring training to fight for a roster spot. 

Sections
Shortcuts