FanGraphs lists Top 15 Red Sox prospects

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs lists Top 15 Red Sox prospects

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-15-prospects-boston-red-sox/

I like Xander Bogaerts at No. 1 and Garin Cecchini at No. 3.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: FanGraphs lists Top 15 Red Sox prospects

good stuff..thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Just saying, I mentioned Bogaerts in January. Never thought Iglesias would hit. I still like Ranaudo. Wilson jumped over Briton this year, but I still like Briton

Comment on: Pondering%20the%20Red%20Sox%20prospects at 1/28/2011 11:50 AM EST
    Predictions on the youngin's:
    Iglesias-will not hit enough for the fans to be happy. w/b a black hole in the 9 spot. very sure hands, fast exchange/release, above average arm, not great range, not a good base runner. In 2 years Xander Bogaerts will be the "star in waiting".
    Renaudo-might be ready this year! I can see Renaudo spot starting or replacing DiceK depending on Dice health. Renaudo will quickly vault Kelly in the rankings this year.
    Britton-could help this year as the lefty out of the bullpen. Is making strides as fast as Bowden has lost them
    Wilson- c/b #3 starter in 2-3 years as he matures and gains velocity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think it's to early to close the book on Iglesias....how many 21 year olds spent the season in AAA last year?  How often does a 21-22 year old move up a level lower than AAA or to AAA and their production goes down and they are just considered "advancing" or on a learning curve????  Which granted Iglesias should make progress on considering he will be 22 this year and in his 2nd full year at Pawtucket.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

iglesias is just not going to hit...he may hit 240. but i say in our lineup you can hide him in the 9th spot just for his glove..may be in 2013? i just don't think this guy is ever going to hit...some guys just can't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Nobody is closing the book on Igleasias.  But it seems fangraphs agrees with those of us who have been saying for awhile now that Bogaerts is more likely to be the SS of the future for the Sox.  And this coming season is the one that should prove it.  If the Sox can get good return for Iglesias, in terms of a good young reliever or top pitching prospect, then they have to consider trading him before his stock dips.  Scutaro will man the position for 2012 and Bogaerts should be ready to take over in 2013 if all goes well.

The more interesting challenge for the Sox is what to do with 3 potentially good 3Bmen.  If Middlebrooks slips at all in 2012, we will all be singing the praises of Cecchini or Vitek by this time next year!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Bogaerts (who I'm thrilled about actually being involved in conversation now) projects to move from SS.  Does that happen? who knows, but I think it's pretty conceivable that he moves to 3B or even LF

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: FanGraphs lists Top 15 Red Sox prospects:
    [QUOTE]Just saying, I mentioned Bogaerts in January. Never thought Iglesias would hit. I still like Ranaudo. Wilson jumped over Briton this year, but I still like Briton  Predictions on the youngin's: Iglesias-will not hit enough for the fans to be happy. w/b a black hole in the 9 spot. very sure hands, fast exchange/release, above average arm, not great range, not a good base runner. In 2 years Xander Bogaerts will be the "star in waiting". Renaudo-might be ready this year! I can see Renaudo spot starting or replacing DiceK depending on Dice health. Renaudo will quickly vault Kelly in the rankings this year. Britton-could help this year as the lefty out of the bullpen. Is making strides as fast as Bowden has lost them Wilson- c/b #3 starter in 2-3 years as he matures and gains velocity.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

With Bogaerts, Kelly, and Iglesias you look wise but not so much with Lowrie, Renaudo, and Britton.

2010 List:
    Iglesias
    Britton
    Ranaudo
    Reddick
    Pimentel
    Doubront
    Vitek
    Anderson
    Tejeda
    Lavarnway

It is great to see players with higher upsides on this year's list, but on the other hand with so many really young prospects it is a crapshoot if they actually develop.

Then again what does it all mater:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot   I'm not saying prospects aren't important; there's nothing more valuable in baseball than a young player making a low salary. As the Tampa Bay Rays have shown, if your system keeps churning out talented young players, you can compete with a low payroll. As the Kansas City Royals and Pittsburgh Pirates have shown over the past 15-plus years, however, banking solely on cheap young players is a difficult proposition.

2005 "Baseball America Prospect Handbook." No. 30-ranked farm system that year? The
    St. Louis Cardinals. It's not that Baseball America misjudged the Cardinals' system -- it was indeed, a bad system. The only player in the top 30 to contribute to their 2011 World Series title was Skip Schumacher. The only other major leaguers of note from the list are Adam Wainwright and Brendan Ryan.

Meanwhile, the Minnesota Twins, Colorado Rockies, Cleveland Indians, Oakland A's, Chicago Cubs and Seattle Mariners all ranked in the top 11 farm systems. Those teams averaged 91 losses in 2011.

Casey Kelly has lost some of his hype too (1.4 WHIP).

7) Casey Kelly, RHP, Grade B: Borderline B+.  He didn't dominate Double-A despite repeating the league, his secondary stuff isn't as refined as Erlin/Wieland, his fastball isn't consistently faster, and he is a full year older than Erlin and almost two years older than Sampson. He still looks like a fine mid-rotation starter but I don't see him as a potential ace. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I am sure that the scouting bureau, fangraphs, etc., and scouts of the other 29 teams are almost as informed on our prospects as our organization. They might even be as well informed as Hill is. That is their job. We are not exactly playing a poker game where the cards in our hand are hidden to all. Surely as fans we don't have more information on the skills and potential of Inglesias than the professional scouts who have watched baseball all of their lives and travel around the country all year long. In the case of Inglesias it just might boil down to an educated guess on whether he will hit better, everyone already knows about his defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Where are they getting this information from?

Boegarts is a very promising prospect but he is not even in the top five or the RS as far as prospects go. 

Middlebrooks
    Raunado
    Brentz
    Lavarnway
    Barnes

All of those players are ahead of him, not knocking him but he is very young and needs to show he can produce as the level of competition grows.

Middlebrooks projects as a middle of the lineup 3B with pop and is better defensively then some give him credit for.

Brentz has 30+ power and can play the corner outfield spots, same goes for Lavarnway when it comes to the power numbers, Lavarnway will learn to catch and was solid in the last series vs Baltimore.

Raundo and Barnes are young and need to develop secondary pitches and get stronger.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Where are they getting this information from? Boegarts is a very promising prospect but he is not even in the top five or the RS as far as prospects go.  Middlebrooks Raunado Brentz Lavarnway Barnes All of those players are ahead of him, not knocking him but he is very young and needs to show he can produce as the level of competition grows. Middlebrooks projects as a middle of the lineup 3B with pop and is better defensively then some give him credit for. Brentz has 30+ power and can play the corner outfield spots, same goes for Lavarnway when it comes to the power numbers, Lavarnway will learn to catch and was solid in the last series vs Baltimore. Raundo and Barnes are young and need to develop secondary pitches and get stronger.
    Posted by jb12bb[/QUOTE]
    I still can’t get past the 24 percent strikeout rate and 5.2 percent walk rate for 23-year-old Will Middlebrooks last season in the Double A Eastern League. Seattle thirdbase prospect Alex Liddi, who is only days older than Middlebrooks, put up similar numbers in a similar Double A league (Southern) a year earlier. I have serious doubts about whether either will be a significant contributor at the MLB level.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

This is now a pizzing contest between a disgruntled Seattle Mariners fan and those on a Red Sox forum. What a shame that there are no baseball forums in Seattle. How strange it is that a Mariner fan  searches the Internet all day long about Red Sox flaws. Almost as odd as Babe and Pinstripezac. If the article fits Hill's agenda then he will massage, manipulate, and post it. Weird. I know his agenda but I can't figure out the motive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]This is now a pizzing contest between a disgruntled Seattle Mariners fan and those on a Red Sox forum. What a shame that there are no baseball forums in Seattle. How strange it is that a Mariner fan  searches the Internet all day long about Red Sox flaws. Almost as odd as Babe and Pinstripezac. If the article fits Hill's agenda then he will massage, manipulate, and post it. Weird. I know his agenda but I can't figure out the motive.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

I don't get why it bothers you so much that fans of other teams post here. Some of them make very good points and obviously know their stuff.

Back to the topic:
    I think hitting from the SS position is just a bonus. If Iggy never hits above .240, it doesn't mean he still can't become an impact player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well it's nice too know that the Sox actually have a top 15. The order is irrelevant since they always sign FA's and continually block their own rising stars! So making this list is pointless.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Well it's nice too know that the Sox actually have a top 15. The order is irrelevant since they always sign FA's and continually block their own rising stars! So making this list is pointless.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Any starter or reliever in our system has had ample opportunity to make the 25 man roster and earn an important slot. Some got a shot this year:
    Kyle Weiland- 5 starts
    F. Doubront- was injured and misses his shot
    F. Morales- 36 games
    M. Bowden- 14 games
    J. Tazawa- was injured and barely got a chance

BTW, who blocked Lester, Buch and Bard's rise?
    Who blocked Ellsbury, lowrie, and Dustin's rise?

Who else got a shot in 2011?
    Lowrie  341 PAs (got injured)
    Reddick 278 PAs (couldn't earn a FT position)
    Lavarnway (43), Navarro (40, then traded), Iglesias (barely got a look), and Anderson (minimum duty in last 2 years).

The only "block" I see is Scutaro (Iggy) and maybe Salty (Lava).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

What bothers me is that a Mariner's fan comes here with a hard-on elated that Middlebrooks strikes out too much when his Mariners belong in AAA ball. Yet he loves to come here to annoy / irritate RS fans. That is defined as a troll. Look it up. Googling is easy. Look up the definition of trolling. Hill is trolling / purposely annoying - just like Babe and Law. One would think that a Mariner would show some humility and be somewhat embarassed since his team hits .220. Yet he has a fetish to insult a team that led MLB in offense last year. You must be blind to trolling. But I guess Burrito is right, this is all about entertainment instead of honesty and sincerity.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]What bothers me is that a Mariner's fan comes here with a hard-on elated that Middlebrooks strikes out too much when his Mariners belong in AAA ball. Yet he loves to come here to annoy / irritate RS fans. That is defined as a troll. Look it up. Googling is easy. Look up the definition of trolling. Hill is trolling / purposely annoying - just like Babe and Law. One would think that a Mariner would show some humility and be somewhat embarassed since his team hits .220. Yet he has a fetish to insult a team that led MLB in offense last year. You must be blind to trolling. But I guess Burrito is right, this is all about entertainment instead of honesty and sincerity.
    Did you read the opening post to this thread?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]What bothers me is that a Mariner's fan comes here with a hard-on elated that Middlebrooks strikes out too much when his Mariners belong in AAA ball. Yet he loves to come here to annoy / irritate RS fans. That is defined as a troll. Look it up. Googling is easy. Look up the definition of trolling. Hill is trolling / purposely annoying - just like Babe and Law. One would think that a Mariner would show some humility and be somewhat embarassed since his team hits .220. Yet he has a fetish to insult a team that led MLB in offense last year. You must be blind to trolling. But I guess Burrito is right, this is all about entertainment instead of honesty and sincerity.

I have never felt that Hill was out to upset Sox fans. He is very knowledgeable and often offers nice insights to many topics on this board. I'd never even come close to thinking of him as a "troll". Yes, he does make the point that many Sox fans are over-valuing our prospects, and yes, Middlebrooks does strike out a lot, but I am totally fine having other fans here as long as they are mostly constructive and respectful.

So his team has been very poor recently, offensively especially, so that is a reason he should be contrite and meek? I don't get the connection.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Your coming here elated about RS flaws all of the time gets boring and reeks of an agenda and that is not that different than Yazzer, Babe, and Law. Do you enjoy keeping company like that?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Your coming here elated about RS flaws all of the time gets boring and reeks of an agenda and that is not that different than Yazzer, Babe, and Law. Do you enjoy keeping company like that?
    Did you read the opening post to this thread?

I welcome substantive contributions to this forum, but your posts too often are personal attacks that ignore the issue under discussion.

You're capable of better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Well it's nice too know that the Sox actually have a top 15. The order is irrelevant since they always sign FA's and continually block their own rising stars! So making this list is pointless.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

We don't block anyone, but thanks for the comments.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

What bothers me is that a Mariner's fan comes here with a hard-on elated that Middlebrooks strikes out too much when his Mariners belong in AAA ball.

His K/W ratio is horrible.  I've said that a number of times.  I've commented on NYY prospects, so I see no reason others can't cooment on ours.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

One would really think that a true Mariner would go to a Seattle forum and do the daily battle vs. those fans. It seems like he would be more challenged there in the event that a Mariners forum is loaded with poor fans like this one is. Instead he prefers to come here, go figure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]One would really think that a true Mariner would go to a Seattle forum and do the daily battle vs. those fans. It seems like he would be more challenged there in the event that a Mariners forum is loaded with poor fans like this one is. Instead he prefers to come here, go figure.
    I visit one Mariner forum daily (and several other Seattle message boards less frequently).

Over the years, I've wandered over to other teams' message boards when the Mariners were rumored to be in trade talks with the other team. I first came to this message board in January 2006 when the Red Sox were rumored to be interested in Seattle's Jeremy Reed as a potential replacement for the recently departed Johnny Damon. Some 5,000 respectful posts later I've never been banned nor used the words "idiot" or "moron."

May you find peace this holiday season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FanGraphs lists Top 15 Red Sox prospects : I visit one Mariner forum daily (and several other Seattle message boards less frequently). Over the years, I've wandered over to other teams' message boards when the Mariners were rumored to be in trade talks with the other team. I first came to this message board in January 2006 when the Red Sox were rumored to be interested in Seattle's Jeremy Reed as a potential replacement for the recently departed Johnny Damon. Some 5,000 respectful posts later I've never been banned nor used the words "idiot" or "moron." May you find peace this holiday season.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I hope you stick around for another 5K. 

Peace from east to west!

Sections
Shortcuts