Fangraphs top 100

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Fangraphs top 100

Bogaerts #5

Matt Barnes #41

JBJ #54

Webster #55

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-top-100-prospects-2/

Nice to see Bogaerts so high.  He's definitely shot up the ladder and is a well respected top prospect all around baseball.  I've seen the rest of the 3 a bit higher on other lists so that's a bit of a downer.  But a prospect list is just a prospect list, what these guys do to contribute at the MLB level in the future is what will matter. 

Discuss. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Fangraphs top 100

I saw another list that had 5 players in the top 100. But your right, what they contribute on the MLB level is what counts.

Webster has impressed me a lot out of this group. I honestly didnt think he was this good. Barnes needs to prove he can pitch at an advanced level in AA this year as well as work on his stamina.

The one prospect for the Sox Im picking as my sleeper this year is Christian Vasquez.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I saw another list that had 5 players in the top 100. But your right, what they contribute on the MLB level is what counts.

Webster has impressed me a lot out of this group. I honestly didnt think he was this good. Barnes needs to prove he can pitch at an advanced level in AA this year as well as work on his stamina.

The one prospect for the Sox Im picking as my sleeper this year is Christian Vasquez.

agreed on Webster.  I didn't really think much of him after the trade, I saw his status and was mildly excited.  I guess I just viewed Barnes so much more valuable because he was the recent #1 draft pick performing well so he had that "shiny new toy" appeal that I didn't get from Webster.  But he has really impressed me this spring. 

The question with Christian Vasquez is his bat.  I've heard he has decent power potential but the hit tool may not be there.  Even if he can progress to a bat that has occasional pop, I think his defense can carry him to be a MLB catcher.  I mean seriously what does Salty do for us other than the occasional HR? How much worse could he be in a year or two than that? I like the defense, and will be very excited to watch him this year....hoping the bat shows some life as well. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Bogaerts didn't help himself in the WBC but it was only 4 games so the sample size is essentially insignificant.

The potential emergence of quality players from the Redsox farm hasn't been this good IMO, since the time of Rice / Lynn and one could make a strong case that overall it is even better than that. We are making a comeback and it's going to be led by the young men in the organization.

And that is a very positive development!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

agreed on Webster.  I didn't really think much of him after the trade, I saw his status and was mildly excited.  I guess I just viewed Barnes so much more valuable because he was the recent #1 draft pick performing well so he had that "shiny new toy" appeal that I didn't get from Webster.  But he has really impressed me this spring. 

The question with Christian Vasquez is his bat.  I've heard he has decent power potential but the hit tool may not be there.  Even if he can progress to a bat that has occasional pop, I think his defense can carry him to be a MLB catcher.  I mean seriously what does Salty do for us other than the occasional HR? How much worse could he be in a year or two than that? I like the defense, and will be very excited to watch him this year....hoping the bat shows some life as well. 

Vasquez has had decent numbers in the minors. I think the jump to AA affected those numbers a bit due to the advanced pitching and hitting last year. He tore it up in Greenville and did well in Salem after the adjustments were made. I think the same thing will happen this year in Portland. His numbers would suggest hes got a good eye at the plate as well.

His defense and arm are MLB ready IMO.  Hes still learning the position, but at 22 hes looking very promising.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Vasquez has had decent numbers in the minors. I think the jump to AA affected those numbers a bit due to the advanced pitching and hitting last year. He tore it up in Greenville and did well in Salem after the adjustments were made. I think the same thing will happen this year in Portland. His numbers would suggest hes got a good eye at the plate as well.

His defense and are are MLB ready IMO.  Hes still learning the position, but at 22 hes looking very promising.

He throws out almost half of all runners!!!!!!!!, that's pretty insane.  I almost want to say he is the Iglesias of the catcher position. Crude I know, but I still I really like his glove behind the plate.  I think what he does this season will be very telling of where he may end up, as well as a clearer picture of his ETA. But you are right on him being glove ready now.  They say that the hardest jump, or maybe the biggest is from single A, to double A.  I guess you could argue against that and say the biggest jump is from AAA to MLB, but I think you are already talking about the 1% of the best ballplayers by the time you get to single A.  It's all about adjustments, and if he can make some decent adjustments at the plate this year then I think he has a very good chance of having an adequate bat. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

For the record that 1% stat is made up, but I think my point was clear. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

He throws out almost half of all runners!!!!!!!!, that's pretty insane.  I almost want to say he is the Iglesias of the catcher position. Crude I know, but I still I really like his glove behind the plate.  I think what he does this season will be very telling of where he may end up, as well as a clearer picture of his ETA. But you are right on him being glove ready now.  They say that the hardest jump, or maybe the biggest is from single A, to double A.  I guess you could argue against that and say the biggest jump is from AAA to MLB, but I think you are already talking about the 1% of the best ballplayers by the time you get to single A.  It's all about adjustments, and if he can make some decent adjustments at the plate this year then I think he has a very good chance of having an adequate bat.

Those caught-stealing numbers approach those of similar-aged prospect John Hicks, who ranks fourth on Seattle's organizational depth chart at catcher:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hicks-005joh

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=vazque001chr

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think many posters were so high on DLR, they neglected to view Webster (not me) as a real gem.

The Dodger system is known for finding and developing good starters. I'm glad we nabbed two of their best last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's tough to believe we were able to obtain that much talent in that trade but it just goes to show how badly they wanted Adrian Gonzalez, the #1 draw in hispanic baseball markets. Make 1 trip to see the dodgers play in dodger's stadium and you will see why. They make a fortune on parking there. The lot goes on and on forever and they own it all. And the stadium is sizeable also. They generate Yankee type money from on site attendance in that ballpark. Far beyond anything the Sox can get. And the new TV deal is off the charts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It's tough to believe we were able to obtain that much talent in that trade but it just goes to show how badly they wanted Adrian Gonzalez, the #1 draw in hispanic baseball markets. Make 1 trip to see the dodgers play in dodger's stadium and you will see why. They make a fortune on parking there. The lot goes on and on forever and they own it all. And the stadium is sizeable also. They generate Yankee type money from on site attendance in that ballpark. Far beyond anything the Sox can get. And the new TV deal is off the charts.

We should see if they want any more of our players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The dodgers may still have a surplus of starting pitching options. Hard to believe isn't it. They are reported to be shopping 1 or 2 of their starters still.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

For the record that 1% stat is made up, but I think my point was clear. 

Yeah, I figured that was made up hugh, but I understand your point.

I usually start really paying attention to prospects when they can have success in AA. Not that I dont pay attention prior to that. I just start taking them more seriously as a realistic prospect helping the MLB team someday soon if the can has success with advanced pitching and hitting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think many posters were so high on DLR, they neglected to view Webster (not me) as a real gem.

The Dodger system is known for finding and developing good starters. I'm glad we nabbed two of their best last year.

I think we just heard much more about RDLR than webster. But Webster was their #3 prospect at the time I believe, so more here should have taken him more seriously.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think we just heard much more about RDLR than webster. But Webster was their #3 prospect at the time I believe, so more here should have taken him more seriously.

But aren't they both farm scraps? That's what softy and Alibiike said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Haha...Yeah, I forgot...but do they pass the "fit and value' criteria?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

their "career median averages" were bad. that's why he called them farm scraps..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

their "career median averages" were bad. that's why he called them farm scraps..

Is it possible to have a "reverse pivot" when delivering a pitch?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good one. 

softy used the term "median average" again today on another thread. He has yet to give us the definition ofr the invented term.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Good one. 

softy used the term "median average" again today on another thread. He has yet to give us the definition ofr the invented term.

he told me the other day when i asked him.. he said it was something like a mean of the medians of series of sample sets. So he takes the median of different series of data and them averages those medians.... BRILLIANT!!

of course, its all BS. it's just a stupid term he uses to try to make him look smart and say bad players are good and good players are bad. just like his "value & fit" blather..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Good one. 

he told me the other day when i asked him.. he said it was something like a mean of the medians of series of sample sets. So he takes the median of different series of data and them averages those medians.... BRILLIANT!!

of course, its all BS. it's just a stupid term he uses to try to make him look smart and say bad players are good and good players are bad. just like his "value & fit" blather..

He should provide a glossary of clown terms.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

2 guys I'm VERY high on.  Then again I'm a bit of a homer and like to think that every far away, toolsy prospect will develop into a blue chipper.  Still the talent is there for these guys. 

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/03/2013-prospect-previews-manuel-margot.html