Fangraph's Top Free Agents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Fangraph's Top Free Agents

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think you can sign two the three of Drew, Napoli, and Ellsbury. The team doesnt have an easy replacement for Ellsbury so ideally it would come down to Napoli or Drew. I think Drew is more likely to get a multiyear from another team.

[/QUOTE]

We certainly can afford Ellsbury and still stay under the luxury limit, if that is our goal, but the money can probably be spent better elsewhere, and the extra draft pick can come in handy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Smart move by the Sox would be Offering them all a qualifying offer. The World Series might determine what happens to many of them. You see it happen all the time, a guy like Drew will come out of nowhere, have a heck of a series, and his price will skyrocket. Could happen to any of these 4.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think you can sign two the three of Drew, Napoli, and Ellsbury. The team doesnt have an easy replacement for Ellsbury so ideally it would come down to Napoli or Drew. I think Drew is more likely to get a multiyear from another team.

[/QUOTE]

We certainly can afford Ellsbury and still stay under the luxury limit, if that is our goal, but the money can probably be spent better elsewhere, and the extra draft pick can come in handy.

[/QUOTE]

There will be 4 QO made at the end of the season. The is up to four picks. Signing Ellsbury over sign Drew nets the same. You have a tendency to do this. You are a grass is always greener person. I would sign a player like Ellsbury and get this production instead of gambling on a draft pick. Drew is someone because of the amount infielders that you have could be viewed as someone not worth the draft pick.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There will be 4 QO made at the end of the season. The is up to four picks. Signing Ellsbury over sign Drew nets the same. You have a tendency to do this. You are a grass is always greener person. I would sign a player like Ellsbury and get this production instead of gambling on a draft pick. Drew is someone because of the amount infielders that you have could be viewed as someone not worth the draft pick.

[/QUOTE]

It's not Ellsbury vs a draft pick: it is Ellsbury vs a draft pick plus 2-3 players signed with the money it would have taken to keep Ellsbury here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smart move by the Sox would be Offering them all a qualifying offer. The World Series might determine what happens to many of them. You see it happen all the time, a guy like Drew will come out of nowhere, have a heck of a series, and his price will skyrocket. Could happen to any of these 4.

[/QUOTE]

Drew might take the QO, and we'd be paying him $14M while keeping Bogey or Middy on the bench.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Strongly agree 4 QOs will be made, and should be.  Fangraphs is not the final world, but it's a decent shorthand IMO.  Look at fWAR values in 2013:

• Ellsbury:  $28.9m in only 134 games
    • Drew:  $16.9m (124 games)
    • Napoli:  $19.5m (139 games)
    • Saltalamacchia:  $17.8 (121 games)

They all massively overproduced vs their salaries, catcher is a rare commodity and there are few SS available as FAs this winter.  It's only Salty I really want to keep due to the weak options available, but I can live with them all but expect all will get QOs, decline, get signed and give us a draft pick.

Worse case is a logjam assuming Bogaerts develops, but it's not a major issue as all 4 IF (and Ortiz) will miss enough games to make 100 or so available to Midds/Bogaerts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Strongly agree 4 QOs will be made, and should be.  Fangraphs is not the final world, but it's a decent shorthand IMO.  Look at fWAR values in 2013:

• Ellsbury:  $28.9m in only 134 games
    • Drew:  $16.9m (124 games)
    • Napoli:  $19.5m (139 games)
    • Saltalamacchia:  $17.8 (121 games)

They all massively overproduced vs their salaries, catcher is a rare commodity and there are few SS available as FAs this winter.  It's only Salty I really want to keep due to the weak options available, but I can live with them all but expect all will get QOs, decline, get signed and give us a draft pick.

Worse case is a logjam assuming Bogaerts develops, but it's not a major issue as all 4 IF (and Ortiz) will miss enough games to make 100 or so available to Midds/Bogaerts.

You don't offer a QO to Drew, unless you are pretty sure he will turn it down. $14M is a lot for a guy who will end up keeping Bogey or Middy on the bench.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Drew might turn down a QO.

The free agent class at shortstop is pretty much Drew, Peralta, and Yunel Escobar. Drew is the youngest and has the fewest issues. ..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Based on the crazy high contracts that the Giants laid out there for Pence and Lincecum, these numbers are likely accurate to some degree, even if high.

I am becoming more inclined by the day to offer most if not all the Sox a QO. Based on these numbers, they all could decline. Can you say 2014 draft?

Who would I prefer from that price list, probably none of the above. Seriously. But I guess I would put my money on Ruiz or McCann.

Of the Red Sox players, by far the best deal to me seems like Drew. If not for Bogaerts, I jump on that deal.

So who to spend the money on? I think I would spend it on Masahiro Tanaka. Probably would go 6-120. He is 6-2 24 year old with movement, command and makeup. Four big league pitches including an excellent slider and splitter. Fastball is sneaky 91-94. Velocity is over rated. Its the movement on all his breaking stuff and command of it thats exciting. Seems like a tough cookie too.

You may say, but we don't need a starting pitcher. Humbug. Great starting pitching is always something you spend on if you have the money. You can always trade guys. If you could have Darvish tommorow for nothing would you take him? What about Anibal Sanchez? Sometimes you gamble.

In the end, I predict the Sox sign Napoli for the QO, Salty for less then 45, get 2 picks and make a trade or two and rely on Bogaerts, Middlebrooks and Bradley jr. Then they look to add a big money player in season. I can live with that I guess.

I would have signed Abreu, Tanaka and Ruiz or McCann. I would have gotten younger and got a bunch of picks as well. Abreu and Tanaka have some real upside.

I do not sign Napoli for 3 years or Ellsbury for 6-114 or Salty for 45.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew might turn down a QO.

The free agent class at shortstop is pretty much Drew, Peralta, and Yunel Escobar. Drew is the youngest and has the fewest issues. ..

[/QUOTE]

Could be, but what if he takes it?

How soon can we trade him?

What about a "wink wink" deal where we sign him and then trade him to a team who gives us a nice return, because they keep their draft pick not having to sign him after a QO?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Based on the crazy high contracts that the Giants laid out there for Pence and Lincecum, these numbers are likely accurate to some degree, even if high.

And people said SF couldn't afford Ellsbury.

I am becoming more inclined by the day to offer most if not all the Sox a QO. Based on these numbers, they all could decline. Can you say 2014 draft?

Could be huge!

Who would I prefer from that price list, probably none of the above. Seriously. But I guess I would put my money on Ruiz or McCann.

Because you like them most, or because they are the best per dollar listed?

Of the Red Sox players, by far the best deal to me seems like Drew. If not for Bogaerts, I jump on that deal.

You really don't think Bogey is better at 3B than SS? If we lose Napoli, we could move Middy to 1B and have Carp/Nava as back-up, in case he struggles again.

So who to spend the money on? I think I would spend it on Masahiro Tanaka. Probably would go 6-120. He is 6-2 24 year old with movement, command and makeup. Four big league pitches including an excellent slider and splitter. Fastball is sneaky 91-94. Velocity is over rated. Its the movement on all his breaking stuff and command of it thats exciting. Seems like a tough cookie too.

6-120?  WOW!

You may say, but we don't need a starting pitcher. Humbug. Great starting pitching is always something you spend on if you have the money. You can always trade guys. If you could have Darvish tommorow for nothing would you take him? What about Anibal Sanchez? Sometimes you gamble.

I'm almost alwayd for starting pitchers, but that's a huge gamble.

In the end, I predict the Sox sign Napoli for the QO, Salty for less then 45, get 2 picks and make a trade or two and rely on Bogaerts, Middlebrooks and Bradley jr. Then they look to add a big money player in season. I can live with that I guess.

I agree Naps and Salty are the likely returnees, but I think the trade we make takes one of Bogey, Missy or JBJ out of a FT job.

I would have signed Abreu, Tanaka and Ruiz or McCann. I would have gotten younger and got a bunch of picks as well. Abreu and Tanaka have some real upside.

I do not sign Napoli for 3 years or Ellsbury for 6-114 or Salty for 45.

I only want one of Napoli and Drew, and I think Napoli fits best, despite my serious reservations about Bogey's D at SS. If we are sure Drew turns down the minimum QO 1 year offer, I'd go ahead and do it.

Here's what I'd offer our FAs (in this chronological order):

Ellsbury: $60M/4 would be an insult, and I realize you have to overpay to get the best free agents, but I really want to avoid a 5+ year deal for Jacoby. I get the value of speed and plus defense, and I know we will sorely miss Jacoby when he walks, but I would bid up no higher than $64M/4 with a 5th year club option at $14M with a $4M buyout, making it a $68M/4 or $78M/5 deal. This basically guarantees Jacoby walks. We get the drfat pick, and we use the money to keep other free agents (see below) or to help partially replace the OF position and upgrade other high need areas.

Salty: $50M/4 with a club option 5th year at $10M with a $2M buyout, making it a $52M/4 or $60M/5 deal. If he refuses, offer him $28M/2 or $15M/1.

Napoli: $26M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $30M/2. Attach a club option 3rd year for $13M with a $2M buyout, making it a $28M/2 deal (meets QO status) or $39M/3 with incentives that could make it $30M/2 or $45M/3.

Drew: If Napoli stays, offer Drew the minimum 1 year QO and hope he says no. If Napoli says no, I'd offer Drew a deal similar to Napoli's.

Other FAs:

If Ellsbury walks, I'd try and sign DeJesus or maybe C Beltran if he takes a 1 or 2 year deal.

I'd try hard to sign Mujica and a top defensive SS profile (no hit to make it affordable, if needed).

If Salty walks, I'd look for a short term fix (Ruiz for 1-2 years?) I don't overpay for McCann.

If Napoli walks, I'm fine with Middy/Carp/Nava at 1B, but only if we get a 5 slot batter upgrade at another position vua trade or FA signing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to beachboy88's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Will you be watching tonight's game Moonslav or are you recording it. A shame that they are making you work instead of being able to watch and enjoy the game. They gave me the night off. I had a tough day here.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not working.

I hate commercials and prefer to watch the game on delay, fats forward the commercials, and get to live ball by the 8th inning or so. I'll be signing off this site now, so as to avoid any hints of what has happened.

(I'm also not one to get terribly upset if I know the score before I start watching, but I prefer not knowing.)

GO SOX!

Beat the Cards!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Drew will want years, a few Teams including the Dodgers, will be offering him a deal. They would move Hanley back to 3rd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

I prefer McCann and Ruiz-Salty is a coin flip. Probably would prefer to give Salty another year to convince me. But not at 1-14, when I can have Ruiz at 2-17. Its close. Thats why Salty is my least certain guy to give a QO to.

You really don't think Bogey is better at 3B than SS? If we lose Napoli, we could move Middy to 1B and have Carp/Nava as back-up, in case he struggles again.

I am not sure about Bogaerts defense at 3rd base. They have not hit the ball his way over there much. I have some questions about quick instincts and arm strength still.

As for his defense at SS, my guess at this stage would be poor. But thats better then bad, very bad, terrible, Hanley, and Jeter. At this point not taking the other players into account, I would hope he plays SS next year. 

6-120?  WOW!

Even Matsusaka was very good until he hurt his arm. The only thing that would concern me is the 6 years with Lester on the horizon.

I agree Naps and Salty are the likely returnees, but I think the trade we make takes one of Bogey, Missy or JBJ out of a FT job.

True. However, I would not make the trade for a star player until the trade dead line. Then we could replace the weak link above. It would work perfectly.

I only want one of Napoli and Drew, and I think Napoli fits best, despite my serious reservations about Bogey's D at SS. If we are sure Drew turns down the minimum QO 1 year offer, I'd go ahead and do it.

Agreed.

Ellsbury: $60M/4 would be an insult, and I realize you have to overpay to get the best free agents, but I really want to avoid a 5+ year deal for Jacoby. I get the value of speed and plus defense, and I know we will sorely miss Jacoby when he walks, but I would bid up no higher than $64M/4 with a 5th year club option at $14M with a $4M buyout, making it a $68M/4 or $78M/5 deal. This basically guarantees Jacoby walks. We get the drfat pick, and we use the money to keep other free agents (see below) or to help partially replace the OF position and upgrade other high need areas.

I  would only do 5-88. So I would let him walk as well.

Salty: $50M/4 with a club option 5th year at $10M with a $2M buyout, making it a $52M/4 or $60M/5 deal. If he refuses, offer him $28M/2 or $15M/1.

Watching the Red Sox not start Salty a number of times including against righties in the playoffs makes me think the stories about how great the Sox think he is doing may have been over stated a bit in the press. This year he has improved on both offense and defense. But improvement does not mean excellence. No way I do 4-52. And if I did do a long term deal, it would be at a number that was more easily tradable. Might do 4-40. But I would already be thinking about trading him while the ink was still drying.Smile

Napoli: $26M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $30M/2. Attach a club option 3rd year for $13M with a $2M buyout, making it a $28M/2 deal (meets QO status) or $39M/3 with incentives that could make it $30M/2 or $45M/3.

Can someone explain how things are that different for Napoli compared to last season when he could not even get a 1 year gauranteed contract? He is one year older. His hip is still ill. He improved his OPS only .030 while not having to catch and having a BABIP that was sky high with huge and increasing K issues. I would not do a multy year deal. If he walks we get the pick and still have Nava-Carp-Middlebrooks. Its 1 year or out with Naps for me.

Drew: If Napoli stays, offer Drew the minimum 1 year QO and hope he says no. If Napoli says no, I'd offer Drew a deal similar to Napoli's.

I prefer just one as well. However, I don't think having both is a horrible out come. Its basically the same scenerio as this year, only with Bogaerts replacing Iggy. We still could trade Drew. Or Middlebrooks. Or start Bogaerts in AAA. An injury could occur just like this year. One too many guys often finds ways to work out.

Plus, Drew probably passes on the QO anyway. His agent is Boras. I am ready to take that chance and work out what to do afterwards.

If Salty walks, I'd look for a short term fix (Ruiz for 1-2 years?) I don't overpay for McCann.

Is 4-59 an over pay for McCann?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I prefer McCann and Ruiz-Salty is a coin flip. Probably would prefer to give Salty another year to convince me. But not at 1-14, when I can have Ruiz at 2-17. Its close. Thats why Salty is my least certain guy to give a QO to.

I'm not sure how good Ruiz is on defense, but the familiarity will be starting at zero. It wasn't a problem with Ross, but he was known as a "pitcher's catcher". To me, Ruiz seems like the "coin flip" will come out wrong, since he is 35 and coming off a .688 OPS season.

I am not sure about Bogaerts defense at 3rd base. They have not hit the ball his way over there much. I have some questions about quick instincts and arm strength still.

My guess is if his arm is good enough to throw from the SS hole with his momentum going the wrong way, he's good enough from 3B. He has more of a 3Bman body than SS. I'd bet he's better at 3B than SS within one year.

As for his defense at SS, my guess at this stage would be poor. But thats better then bad, very bad, terrible, Hanley, and Jeter. At this point not taking the other players into account, I would hope he plays SS next year. 

My guess is he is our FT SS next year, but I'd prefer he gets moved to 3B as soon as possible.

6-120?  WOW!

Even Matsusaka was very good until he hurt his arm. The only thing that would concern me is the 6 years with Lester on the horizon.

Six years for almost anyone scare me, but for a player that has never proven himself, I can't jump onboard. Dice-K did not cost $20M a year toward the cap.

I agree Naps and Salty are the likely returnees, but I think the trade we make takes one of Bogey, Middy or JBJ out of a FT job.

True. However, I would not make the trade for a star player until the trade dead line. Then we could replace the weak link above. It would work perfectly.

Could be a good idea, but I think you get better deals in the winter.

Agreed.

I  would only do 5-88. So I would let him walk as well.

Watching the Red Sox not start Salty a number of times including against righties in the playoffs makes me think the stories about how great the Sox think he is doing may have been over stated a bit in the press. This year he has improved on both offense and defense. But improvement does not mean excellence. No way I do 4-52. And if I did do a long term deal, it would be at a number that was more easily tradable. Might do 4-40. But I would already be thinking about trading him while the ink was still drying.Smile

He won't take $40/4, so you might as well just say you don't want him back.

Can someone explain how things are that different for Napoli compared to last season when he could not even get a 1 year gauranteed contract? He is one year older. His hip is still ill. He improved his OPS only .030 while not having to catch and having a BABIP that was sky high with huge and increasing K issues. I would not do a multy year deal. If he walks we get the pick and still have Nava-Carp-Middlebrooks. Its 1 year or out with Naps for me.

I may be wrong, but I heard his hip is not "getting worse", and he was healthy all year. The part that got me to increase my numbers and years was his stanout defense and clutch hitting. Losing Ellsbury and Napoli would be too much to overcome without some type of huge signing (Choo/McCann?) or blockbuster trade (Stanton?)

I prefer just one as well. However, I don't think having both is a horrible out come. Its basically the same scenerio as this year, only with Bogaerts replacing Iggy. We still could trade Drew. Or Middlebrooks. Or start Bogaerts in AAA. An injury could occur just like this year. One too many guys often finds ways to work out.

Plus, Drew probably passes on the QO anyway. His agent is Boras. I am ready to take that chance and work out what to do afterwards.

If we lose Ellsbury and Salty, then keeping Naps and Drew could be a way to go, Then upgrade other areas with the savings.

Is 4-59 an over pay for McCann?

If I'm prepared to give $50M/4 to Salty, I have to say no it's not an overpay, since McCann has good enough splits to play against LHPs as well. (Maybe $48M/4 is a better offer to Salty.) My guess is McCann will get $70M/5. He is still 29.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You don't offer a QO to Drew, unless you are pretty sure he will turn it down. $14M is a lot for a guy who will end up keeping Bogey or Middy on the bench.

Or, theoretically, you could trade MB for someone with 5 years left of equivalent value at catcher or 1st, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not sure how good Ruiz is on defense, but the familiarity will be starting at zero. It wasn't a problem with Ross, but he was known as a "pitcher's catcher". To me, Ruiz seems like the "coin flip" will come out wrong, since he is 35 and coming off a .688 OPS season.

Between 2009-2012, Ruiz had 14.7 WAR, which ranked 33rd in all of baseball, tied with McCann. Ruiz had an OPS of .827 in those 4 years, including a .935 in 2012. In 2013, he missed the start of the season, so got off to a slow start, similar to Drew. He then had an injury that caused him to miss a month in late May-early June. From June 23rd onward he had a .732 OPS with a BABIP under .300 and just 27 K's in 270 PA's. I prefer Ruiz on defense, by a solid margin. And he will not be 35 until next year.

Six years for almost anyone scare me, but for a player that has never proven himself, I can't jump onboard. Dice-K did not cost $20M a year toward the cap.

Matsuzaka cost about  17 million a year for 6 years, 7 years ago. With baseball inflation, its basically the same exact deal. Tanaka is more then a year younger. And two inches taller. And has much better stats then Matsuzaka although the rule changes explain a lot of the difference. I think Tanaka has better stuff and command, even if he throws a mph slower. And is less flakey.

Although I did like Darvish more then either. If you look at the Japanese imports and the best players in Japan, almost all have suceeded. Ichiro, Matsui, and most of the pitchers.

Six years is tough though.

He won't take $40/4, so you might as well just say you don't want him back.

I don't really want him back. I prefer others.

I may be wrong, but I heard his hip is not "getting worse", and he was healthy all year. The part that got me to increase my numbers and years was his stanout defense and clutch hitting. Losing Ellsbury and Napoli would be too much to overcome without some type of huge signing (Choo/McCann?) or blockbuster trade (Stanton?)

His defense has been surprisingly good. But thats not enough for me to go from zero years for gauranteed big money to 2 seasons. I would let him walk if he insisted on two years guaranteed.

I am cool with adding a big bat at the right price. But I have cooled a touch on Stanton. And the Choo numbers above is just too much. I'll take McCann.  And possibly we have that number 5 hitter already on the team[Bogaerts-Middlebrooks].

Pitching wins anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or, theoretically, you could trade MB for someone with 5 years left of equivalent value at catcher or 1st, etc.

[/QUOTE]

I'm fine with that idea, but I'm not keen on giving Drew the 3+ year deal he will probably want.

I am warming to the idea of offering hima QO. After all, we could trade him too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am cool with adding a big bat at the right price. But I have cooled a touch on Stanton. And the Choo numbers above is just too much. I'll take McCann.  And possibly we have that number 5 hitter already on the team[Bogaerts-Middlebrooks].

Pitching wins anyway.

The thing about Choo is he gives us a leadoff hitter with a much higher OBP than Ellsbury, so that would lessen the blow of losing Jacoby. It also keeps Victorino in the 2 slot, not the 1 slot. Pedey stays 3rd, so the 5 hitter does not have to be t6he 4 hitter, and so forth.

I agree that Bogey or Middy may become fine 5 hitters, but counting on them to do very well in that slot in 2014 is a stretch. Finding as short-term solution like Carlos Beltran might work too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

) Cano  $196M/8

2) Ellsbury  $112M/6

3) Choo  $81M/5

4) McCann $59M/4

5) Garza $59M/4

6) Granderson $56M/4

7) Nolasco $50M/4

8) Jimenez $49M/4

9) Salty $45M/4

10) Lincecum $40M/3

11) E Santana $40M/3

12) Napoli $40M/3

13) S Drew $33M/3

14) K Morales $33M/3

15) N Cruz $32M/3

16) Kuroda $30M/2

17) Infante $28M/3

18) C Beltran $27M/2

19) Feldman $27M/3

20) Nathan $21M/2

21) Burnett $26M/2

22) J Johnson $20M/2

23) Haren $19M/2

24) Halladay $18M/2

25) Hudson $17M/2

26) C Ruiz $17M/2

27) Arroyo $17M/2

28) Kazmir (16M/2

29) Uribe $16M/2

30) P Hughes $16M/2

Then, Balfour, Loney, Byrd, J Hammel, Rodney, Maholm, Floyd, C Young, D Murphy, DeJesus, J Crain, McLouth, Mujica, M Ellis,  Colon, Pierzynski, R Hernandez

Sections
Shortcuts