Fans should be in an uproar......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Fans should be in an uproar......

....with ownership/management over this debacle of a season. They threw the team and the fans under the bus by throwing in the towel with nearly 1/3 of the season still left.
    The recent story about the Dodger trade indicates that Henry, LL and Cherington, were already considering moving Agon while the Sox were still in contention. That is inexcusible.
    Ben kept saying 'we are not where we want to be'. What the hell did he expect? Nothing was done to improve the team at the trade deadline.

I'm going to say that it was more important to ownership and management to shed payroll than compete for a championship. They deliberately let the team fail for the sake of a buck!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Fans should be in an uproar......

I think they absolutely made the right move with the Dodgers trade.  As to whether it was for the sake of a buck, I think that will be better judged based on what they do going forward.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I think they absolutely made the right move with the Dodgers trade.  As to whether it was for the sake of a buck, I think that will be better judged based on what they do going forward.

They could have waited until the off-season to make that or a similar deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

....with ownership/management over this debacle of a season. They threw the team and the fans under the bus by throwing in the towel with nearly 1/3 of the season still left.
    The recent story about the Dodger trade indicates that Henry, LL and Cherington, were already considering moving Agon while the Sox were still in contention. That is inexcusible.
    Ben kept saying 'we are not where we want to be'. What the hell did he expect? Nothing was done to improve the team at the trade deadline.

I'm going to say that it was more important to ownership and management to shed payroll than compete for a championship. They deliberately let the team fail for the sake of a buck!

They did give up on the season.  I grant you that.  But 'shedding payroll to save a buck' is a misread of the action.  Freeing up payroll from albatross contracts is very different than shedding payroll.  Do you really think they are shedding payroll?  Do you really think they did that without the intent to reallocate those funds?  And in the short run, it is hardly saving money as giving up on a season hurts the bottom line as fans arent going to be ponying up for merchandise for the remainder of the year and i suspect the "sellouts" might look someone sparser at the Fens.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

personally i am in an uproar that i have to watch AAA, prospects, no-name players every night.  if i wanted to root for a small market team i would choose KC.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, or maybe the opportunity would have been gone forever.  This was the biggest salary dump in history.  And the Dodgers want players for their stretch run.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I know asking this is probably a waste of time, but what, exactly, about this ownerships previous spending habits, leads you to believe they're going to pocket all or even a large percentage of the money they're saving?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Instead of giving us a ladder, Ben gave us a shovel and said, "dig deeper"!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

The Dodgers wanted AGon, period. They weren't likely to make the playoffs when they made that deal. They would have been chomping at the bit to make the same deal over the winter, because they wanted AGon bad enough to take on Crawford and Beckett.

The Dodgers were a game or two out of a playoff spot, two or three out of the division lead, with a week still to go in August at the time of the trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, or maybe the opportunity would have been gone forever.  This was the biggest salary dump in history.  And the Dodgers want players for their stretch run.

[/QUOTE]

It was a no-brainer.  LA was 2 games out at the time.  They had just traded for Hanley and were looking for something to rev up interest in the team.  This was a unique opportunity.  You don't pass up a unique opportunity just because you want to pretend that you are still in a pennent race.  We were 13.5 out on the 25th.  It's hard to believe we just stumbled across this gift, and some people are still complaining about it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"They could have waited until the off-season to make that or a similar deal."

Totally wrong on this point. This was their only opportunity to move Crawford, a unique set of circumstances involving new ownership looking to make a splash, a strong need for A-Gon for demographic reasons in southern cal, etc. This was their chance to make that trade while they had a sucker with some money left to spend. You have to do it. 

If anything fans should be made the Sox made these irresponsible deals in the first place, this team hasn't been good for a long time

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

You are 100% correct sir. We've basically been given a "do over" and have plenty of cash to work with. Trust me, if the owners attempt to go cheap this off season, the howl's of frustrated Nation members will reverberate around the Globe. (pun intended). The market's a bit thin for stud FA's, but they better be active AND successful at bringing some talent in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Sox were never really in contention this year at all.  Everyone knows they didn't/don't have the pitching to get there.  All were hoping Beckett and Lester would turn their seasons around, but that's all it was.  Hope.
    Fans should be in an uproar that the team as a whole underperformed.  Especially given the huge salaries that hamstrung the organization.
    I didn't want to see Gonzalez go, but he's not exactly lighting up the NL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm in an uproar over our continued massive injuries and cry baby underperformers.

For once, a team finally fired the players not the manager, and I love the paradigm smashing results.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

And I'll be looking out for what you say if the front office dithers and doesn't anything more constructive than they did last winter.  As you know painfully by now, I have absolutely no confidence in Cherington at all.  To me he is a risk averse second rater who has trouble making decisions.  That story in SI this week has hinted strongly that he had just about NOTHING to do with that big trade except sit by and applaud on cue.  If we have Cook and Morales as our starters next season, if Loneybaloney is our first baseman, and if we don't resign Ross and add a power hitter to the mix I will be looking forward to you joining me in denouncing what has become a total inept front office. There should be no room for pollyannas,  rumpswabs and ball washers on this board because the evidence will be clear.

OTOH, if suddenly we see a different Cherington and some real progress is made towards upgrading our team, a mea culpa will be totally in order and it will be coming forthwith.  As I've seen this year there is no real diminant team in the AL East and if we play our cards right we could actally make a big comeback next season.......but some real changes have to be made.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And I'll be looking out for what you say if the front office dithers and doesn't anything more constructive than they did last winter.  As you know painfully by now, I have absolutely no confidence in Cherington at all.  To me he is a risk averse second rater who has trouble making decisions.  That story in SI this week has hinted strongly that he had just about NOTHING to do with that big trade except sit by and applaud on cue.  If we have Cook and Morales as our starters next season, if Loneybaloney is our first baseman, and if we don't resign Ross and add a power hitter to the mix I will be looking forward to you joining me in denouncing what has become a total inept front office. There should be no room for pollyannas,  rumpswabs and ball washers on this board because the evidence will be clear.

OTOH, if suddenly we see a different Cherington and some real progress is made towards upgrading our team, a mea culpa will be totally in order and it will be coming forthwith.  As I've seen this year there is no real diminant team in the AL East and if we play our cards right we could actally make a big comeback next season.......but some real changes have to be made.

[/QUOTE]

Of course seabeach.  Could go either way.  But you would have to really be looking at the situation with blinders on to consider the moves Ben made prior to the Big Trade without considering that what he was doing was sorting out the very expensive mess that was on his desk even before he sat down at it.  Anyone with any sense of management responsibility would have had to approach this past year's cycle with caution and pragmatism.  Now, a very different cycle, in which the need for caution, greatly diminished by the recent payroll unburdening, is greatly superceded by the need for bold, decisive and and defining action.  We shall see what young Ben does.  Verdict is out and now it is on him.  But this past year, in my view, is not on him.  he acted responsibly, intelligently and made good moves within the very confined space he had to work in.  People clamored for big change after 2011 disaster, but that big change, thank you Theo, was impossible.  Now, possible.  And absolutely imperitive.  Verdict is out.  But I think it is very narrow to speculate that this year's off-season will be akin to last years.  Totally different set of needs and cicumstances.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I would argue that fans should think rather than go on hyperbolic rants.  "nearly a 1/3"?  Don't you mean less than 1/4?  Please stop your innumerate nonsense, it's rather pathetic.

Most people from internet guys to MLB GMs think the Sox made out like bandits.  You don't, you've made that clear through your umpteen posts about it.  31 Aug was the deadline....do you know how far out of the playoffs the Sox were on the 25th?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course seabeach.  Could go either way.  But you would have to really be looking at the situation with blinders on to consider the moves Ben made prior to the Big Trade without considering that what he was doing was sorting out the very expensive mess that was on his desk even before he sat down at it.  Anyone with any sense of management responsibility would have had to approach this past year's cycle with caution and pragmatism.  Now, a very different cycle, in which the need for caution, greatly diminished by the recent payroll unburdening, is greatly superceded by the need for bold, decisive and and defining action.  We shall see what young Ben does.  Verdict is out and now it is on him.  But this past year, in my view, is not on him.  he acted responsibly, intelligently and made good moves within the very confined space he had to work in.  People clamored for big change after 2011 disaster, but that big change, thank you Theo, was impossible.  Now, possible.  And absolutely imperitive.  Verdict is out.  But I think it is very narrow to speculate that this year's off-season will be akin to last years.  Totally different set of needs and cicumstances.

[/QUOTE]

Hope you're right Spaceman; I would be more than delighted if I am wrong about Cherington.  I do not back down, however, from what I said.  Yes, mea culpa if he proves he is a lot better than I give him credit for, but if it turns out that he is a risk averse goofball unable to make a credible decision and takes the path of least resistance by resigning some of the stiffs on our team I will be more than obliged to let him have it.  Hope I am terribly wrong about him.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Who can say with 100% certainty this trade could be made in the off season?

Maybe the Dodgers make a deal for different 1B

Maybe LA wins the World Series and then don't want/need to make a big splash deal

Maybe in the off season Beckett decides not to waive his no trade.

This trade had to be made when it was made.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Clamshack1's comment:

AlibiikeIke / Bill-806 / Harv53 who are all career Navy vets and live in Pennsacola are all trolls. The forum being gullible think that they are seperate individuals and are legitimate Sox fans. They all are ultra-conservative politically, simple-minded, and love to start nonsense threads and surprisingly many forum bozos respond to them. Harv has admitted to being a Dodger fan. Why waste your time responding to them?

Go away Pike....you are the worst, most hated poster here by far.  Surely you can see that from the feedback you get?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Clamshack1's comment:

AlibiikeIke / Bill-806 / Harv53 who are all career Navy vets and live in Pennsacola are all trolls. The forum being gullible think that they are seperate individuals and are legitimate Sox fans. They all are ultra-conservative politically, simple-minded, and love to start nonsense threads and surprisingly many forum bozos respond to them. Harv has admitted to being a Dodger fan. Why waste your time responding to them?

Go away Pike....you are the worst, most hated poster here by far.  Surely you can see that from the feedback you get?

Sections
Shortcuts