Farrell and Nieves magic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Farrell and Nieves magic?

Red Sox is leading the many catagories in pitching in AL.  Our pitching staff is showing some promise for this season.  These are the opponents scores against our pitching staff for up to this date.  2-4-4-4-5-0-1-8-3-1-0-2-2-3-3 and 5 runs of that 8 are from one pitcher in one inning.  Amazing so far.  Go Sox!

How about last season? last season's first 15 games 3-10-13-2-7-3-2-5-4-1-18-6-6-15-5

42 against 100.  Now, we should have WAR for managers and coaches as well.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Farrell and Nieves magic?

This team has a lot of good to great pitchers. Lester and Buch are, and have been , TOTR starters. Dempster has been very good his whole career as well. We have 2 AS closers and multiple bullpen arms that are worthy of praise. All that and a lot of potentially solid arms in the system.

A lot of talent was already there and BC brought in the right players and manager to put it all together. Also showed certain players who werent a good "fit" here the door.

Not sure about magic, but certainly a lot of right decisions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

I read that all this is because of Iggy and JBJ. Not sure if it's true or not

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty has improved with the staff as well. He's got to be some part of the improvement equation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston's pitching has been amazing.  

Bailey's great performance so far this year makes me feel better about our trade with Oakland (for Reddick) last year.   LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Highly dubious proposition that the catcher has anything to do with how a pitcher is throwing.  Put any major league (or even AA or AAA catcher) catcher back there for Buch or Lester or Uehara right now and you'll get the same results you've been getting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

Yes, Farrell and Nieves have done some great work with the pitching staff.  But should we also add Pedro to the mix?  Granted he does not have the same impact as Farrell and Nieves, but he does make an impact.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Highly dubious proposition that the catcher has anything to do with how a pitcher is throwing.  Put any major league (or even AA or AAA catcher) catchedr back there for Buch or Lester or Uehara right now and you'll get the same results you've been getting.

A catcher can effect how a pitcher performs to a certain extent. If said pitcher wasnt so comfortable with a certain catcher he might not snap off that cutter in the dirt as easily and without concern as he would with someone hes comfortable with. Some catchers know and understand their battery mates well enough to know how to keep them focused in certain situations and letting them know when they may see a possible mechanical issue. There are a number of intangibles involved. yes, ultimately the pitcher has to throw the ball, but to discount a catchers value like that is not looking at the relationship between pitcher and catcher closely enough IMO....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Bailey's great performance so far this year makes me feel better about our trade with Oakland (for Reddick) last year.   LOL

Hi Southpaw, 

You know as well as I do trades are a crap shoot. Just because a player does well with one team is no guarantee of continued success with another. Josh Reddick had a good year last year but possibly over rated. His power numbers were good with 30+home runs and 85rbis, but his overall numbers are just fair. .305 OBP with 151 strikeouts and only 55 Walks speaks to very little patience at the plate. 

As for Dempster please look at his career stats. He has not been a good pitcher his entire career. Like any pitcher he has had his ups and downs. Over all he has been a very reliable pitcher but he has also had his off seasons. Hopefully his recent success going back through his recent year in Chicago then Texas will continue. He is a good addition to this staff capable of winning 12-15 games and giving a solid 200+ innings. 

Hetch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yes, agree with what you say Southpaw, just think some exaggerate the importance of who's behind the dish.  It's not that I think it doesn't make any difference, just don't think it makes a big difference.  More or less, they're interchangeable back there when it comes to how a pitcher is throwing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Highly dubious proposition that the catcher has anything to do with how a pitcher is throwing.  Put any major league (or even AA or AAA catcher) catcher back there for Buch or Lester or Uehara right now and you'll get the same results you've been getting.

You really believe this?

They hardly ever shake off any of salty's pitch calls.

You neglect all the anecdotal evidence of pitcher's praising catchers helping them do better.

You neglect all the evidence of how most pitchers continually do better with one catcher on their team vs the other one- year after year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Highly dubious proposition that the catcher has anything to do with how a pitcher is throwing.  Put any major league (or even AA or AAA catcher) catchedr back there for Buch or Lester or Uehara right now and you'll get the same results you've been getting.

A catcher can effect how a pitcher performs to a certain extent. If said pitcher wasnt so comfortable with a certain catcher he might not snap off that cutter in the dirt as easily and without concern as he would with someone hes comfortable with. Some catchers know and understand their battery mates well enough to know how to keep them focused in certain situations and letting them know when they may see a possible mechanical issue. There are a number of intangibles involved. yes, ultimately the pitcher has to throw the ball, but to discount a catchers value like that is not looking at the relationship between pitcher and catcher closely enough IMO....

harness once said that the catcher makes the most difference when a pitchers is somewhere between being "on his game" and "off his game", which for many pitchers is most of the games.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'm sure Farrell and Nieves are helping more than hurting; however, the old saying....

....Coaches get too much credit and too much blame....

...Is certainly true.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

good point about the catcher noticing mechanics. You could often see V-Tek tap a shoulder or shift his body to let the pitcher know that his shoulder is too far forward during delivery etc..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I'm sure Farrell and Nieves are helping more than hurting; however, the old saying....

....Coaches get too much credit and too much blame....

...Is certainly true.

DREW,  It's called, "whos in charge here"  !!!    Big differnce from last year.... And the players too !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

good point about the catcher noticing mechanics. You could often see V-Tek tap a shoulder or shift his body to let the pitcher know that his shoulder is too far forward during delivery etc..

Another common misconception is that the pitcher calls his own game, knows what he wants every pitch, and shakes off the catcher until he gets what he had planned to throw- every pitch of every game. Pitcher's do make their own calls from time to time- some more than others- but most prefer to focus on exicution and not thinking ahead and setting batters up to fail.

I read somewhere that salty was also credited as being a big plus pitch framer. He has been much much better at blocking balls in the dirt. Those who jusge only by the CS rate and OBP are missing more important parts of a catchers full skill set.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Hi Southpaw, 

You know as well as I do trades are a crap shoot. Just because a player does well with one team is no guarantee of continued success with another. Josh Reddick had a good year last year but possibly over rated. His power numbers were good with 30+home runs and 85rbis, but his overall numbers are just fair. .305 OBP with 151 strikeouts and only 55 Walks speaks to very little patience at the plate. 

As for Dempster please look at his career stats. He has not been a good pitcher his entire career. Like any pitcher he has had his ups and downs. Over all he has been a very reliable pitcher but he has also had his off seasons. Hopefully his recent success going back through his recent year in Chicago then Texas will continue. He is a good addition to this staff capable of winning 12-15 games and giving a solid 200+ innings. 

Hetch

not sure if this was meant for IceCream since you responded to his comment...I think.

As far as my opinion of the Bailey/reddick deal...Both teams had a need. The Sox had a few LHH OF'ers at the time of the trade and reddick was expendable. The A's didnt want to pay bailey his arb $$. Both got what they wanted/needed.

Dempster, IMO, is a better than average pitcher who will give you about 200IP every year, 150-200 K's, is a smart pitcher, Good leader and a good fit for this team as constructed. I dont expect TOTR results, but if he can give us 12+ wins about 200IP and an ERA around 4ish, Id be good with that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Hi Southpaw, 

Hetch

not sure if this was meant for IceCream since you responded to his comment...I think.

As far as my opinion of the Bailey/reddick deal...Both teams had a need. The Sox had a few LHH OF'ers at the time of the trade and reddick was expendable. The A's didnt want to pay bailey his arb $$. Both got what they wanted/needed.

Dempster, IMO, is a better than average pitcher who will give you about 200IP every year, 150-200 K's, is a smart pitcher, Good leader and a good fit for this team as constructed. I dont expect TOTR results, but if he can give us 12+ wins about 200IP and an ERA around 4ish, Id be good with that.

Hi Southpaw, 

I was replying to you but probably clicked on Ice Cream comment in one of my senior moments. Couldn't agree more about the Reddick/Bailey trade but it's funny in hindsight how some look back at Reddicks year and think the trade favored Oakland. Sure it did last year but they seem to forget Reddick wasn't exactly hitting the cover off the ball and Bailey was a need when the trade was made. Hindsight is a lovely thing for all too many. 

As for Dumpster as Softy calls him I was just pointing out that Dempster has had his ups and downs during his career as just about most any pitcher with his longevity in MLB baseball will have, but over all I was in favor of the trade. 

Hetch

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to NerdatMIT's comment:

There are many reasons why this years Red Sox are doing well. No injuries, great starting pitching by the whole staff, great relief pitching, timely hitting from players - especially Napoli and Nava.  A good attitude. Everything is going right for this team as opposed to last year where it was the opposite. Savor the moment. Can't narrow down the reasons for this year vs. even last year. That would be simplistic. I am just going to enjoy it and savor it.

We have had injuries, but have done well anyways.

Ortiz

Drew

Lackey

Hanrahan

Morales

Breslow

Kalish

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to NerdatMIT's comment:

There are many reasons why this years Red Sox are doing well. No injuries, great starting pitching by the whole staff, great relief pitching, timely hitting from players - especially Napoli and Nava.  A good attitude. Everything is going right for this team as opposed to last year where it was the opposite. Savor the moment. Can't narrow down the reasons for this year vs. even last year. That would be simplistic. I am just going to enjoy it and savor it.

So we're not allowed to talk about why the team is doing bad. We're not allowed to talk about why the team is doing good..... what can we talk about officer pike??

Sections
Shortcuts