Farrell continues to just plain stink

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc. Show MadMc's posts

Re: Farrell continues to just plain stink

I don't like the language in the thread, the word stink, but "Common Man"--Castillo coming  of a stunning 8th inning exhibition like we haven't seen from him. JF uses his best pitchers baseball instinct and doesn't put him in the starting lineup tonight.

I understand it's a RH pitcher tonight . He had two hits in the 8th Sun. both off RH pitchers. When are we going to see whether this $72 M signee is up to being in the lineup every night. Show some consistentcy play De Aza in CF and Holt in RF.

I give up--

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to MadMc's comment:

I don't like the language in the thread, the word stink, but "Common Man"--Castillo coming  of a stunning 8th inning exhibition like we haven't seen from him. JF uses his best pitchers baseball instinct and doesn't put him in the starting lineup tonight.

I understand it's a RH pitcher tonight . He had two hits in the 8th Sun. both off RH pitchers. When are we going to see whether this $72 M signee is up to being in the lineup every night. Show some consistentcy play De Aza in CF and Holt in RF.

I give up--

Yeah, I was looking for the game thread to say the same thing. Holt rather than Castillo? Or De Aza? I don't think Holt is so crucial he's got to be in every game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya just typical farrell. the guy is just plain dumb. he developes these infatuations with mediocre players and continues to play them no matter what. enough with brock holt, enough with daniel naval, enough with mike napoli. no way should castillo have been sitting nor should he ever be sitting for brock holt. holt is not a starting quality player and he never will be. hes a good utility guy. thats it. to make matters worse, he has no problem moving holt up and hitting him 2nd, but yet xander bogaerts who has the 2nd best avg on the team continues to hit 7th. also he refuses to move ortiz or napoli down despite neither being able to hit their weight. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I agree Holt shouldn't be playing every day but Hanley went down early so it didn't really wind up making a difference.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Sandoval clearly cannot handle the starting spot at third base, and Holt has yet to make an error.  Holt is the better fielder and for right now, the better hitter.

Sandoval is truly a bust.  Sox are stuck with a 270 pound 3rd baseman who's owed 80+ million.

I get that they cannot pay that money to not play him, but at this point Sandoval is just killing this team with DPs and errors.  At least Ramirez can hit a ball out of the infield. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to soups' comment:

Sandoval clearly cannot handle the starting spot at third base, and Holt has yet to make an error.  Holt is the better fielder and for right now, the better hitter.

Sandoval is truly a bust.  Sox are stuck with a 270 pound 3rd baseman who's owed 80+ million.

I get that they cannot pay that money to not play him, but at this point Sandoval is just killing this team with DPs and errors.  At least Ramirez can hit a ball out of the infield. 

All Boston can do is to trade Plabo to some where and bring up Craig to play 3b!!  but the bad news is that Craig havent been playing defensively at 3b down in AAA.  He have been playing RF, DH and sometime 1b.  Not sure why the world Pawsox isnt trying to find someone to play 3b every day to prepare to call up case something need to be done for Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to soups' comment:

All Boston can do is to trade Plabo to some where and bring up Craig to play 3b!!  but the bad news is that Craig havent been playing defensively at 3b down in AAA.  He have been playing RF, DH and sometime 1b.  Not sure why the world Pawsox isnt trying to find someone to play 3b every day to prepare to call up case something need to be done for Boston.

What GM in his right mind is going to take Pablo and his contract? Even his old team, where he helped win 3 WC's, wouldn't take him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Have to agree with the OP, especially for last night's loss in which Farrell made several fundamental managerial mistakes.  For starters, he clearly forgot to give his players the "we need some hits tonight" speech before the game.  Even MLB players need that guidance because without it they won't understand how important hitting is.  To make matters worse, Farrell failed to give the crucial "we need an RISP hit right now" signal to several different guys.  Result:  sox were 0 for 8 with RISP.  When Castillo came to bat with men on first and second and no one out, Farrell did send the bunt sign, but failed to specify the length of bunt required.  Dumb.  When the Orioles had a man on 3d, Farrell forgot to send the signal to block pitches in the dirt. Rookie catchers need guidance which Farrell apparently is unable to provide.  

And don't get me started on Farrell's lack of animation in the dugout.  All the best managers constantly pace in the dugout and use multiple facial expressions to show they are engaged.  Players need that inspirational style.  I'll just bet Farrell doesn't even know how to throw a bunch of bats into the shower.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Have to agree with the OP, especially for last night's loss in which Farrell made several fundamental managerial mistakes.  For starters, he clearly forgot to give his players the "we need some hits tonight" speech before the game.  Even MLB players need that guidance because without it they won't understand how important hitting is.  To make matters worse, Farrell failed to give the crucial "we need an RISP hit right now" signal to several different guys.  Result:  sox were 0 for 8 with RISP.  When Castillo came to bat with men on first and second and no one out, Farrell did send the bunt sign, but failed to specify the length of bunt required.  Dumb.  When the Orioles had a man on 3d, Farrell forgot to send the signal to block pitches in the dirt. Rookie catchers need guidance which Farrell apparently is unable to provide.  

And don't get me started on Farrell's lack of animation in the dugout.  All the best managers constantly pace in the dugout and use multiple facial expressions to show they are engaged.  Players need that inspirational style.  I'll just bet Farrell doesn't even know how to throw a bunch of bats into the shower.  

If that's your sarcastic way of saying that Farrell s/b fired, I agree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

ya just typical farrell. the guy is just plain dumb. he developes these infatuations with mediocre players and continues to play them no matter what. enough with brock holt, enough with daniel naval, enough with mike napoli. no way should castillo have been sitting nor should he ever be sitting for brock holt. holt is not a starting quality player and he never will be. hes a good utility guy. thats it. to make matters worse, he has no problem moving holt up and hitting him 2nd, but yet xander bogaerts who has the 2nd best avg on the team continues to hit 7th. also he refuses to move ortiz or napoli down despite neither being able to hit their weight. 

Bad timing to attack Holt.  I too think of him as a sub, but his OPS in June is .942, and for the season he has one of the 4 best WAR ratings, 1.7, on the team.  Last night he had a double and Castillo was hitless in 2 at bats.   By any reasonable standard playing Holt made sense.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Bad timing to attack Holt.  I too think of him as a sub, but his OPS in June is .942, and for the season he has one of the 4 best WAR ratings, 1.7, on the team.  Last night he had a double and Castillo was hitless in 2 at bats.   By any reasonable standard playing Holt made sense.  

Holt had a double, but he also struck out with a man on third and one out - our best chance to score.  That's known as a 'high leverage' situation, and he's been awful in that situation all year long.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Holt had a double, but he also struck out with a man on third and one out - our best chance to score.  That's known as a 'high leverage' situation, and he's been awful in that situation all year long.  

He's got plenty of company - the entire team has stunk with RISP and in high leverage situations.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Not sarcasm.  Brush up on your vocabulary, which is as poor as your analytical skills.  I'm no great fan of Farrell, but you carping critics are giving our unproductive veterans a free ride.  None of Ortiz, Sandoval, Ramirez, or Napoli is earning his pay.  Farrell's catcher is a 23 year old rookie because Vazquez and hanigan are on the 60 day DL.  Farrell fired the pitching coach, and the pitching improved.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sandoval has been even worse in high leverage situations, and he is supposed to deliver.  Holt was the right guy to have batting 2d even though I too was furious when he struck out.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

He's got plenty of company - the entire team has stunk with RISP and in high leverage situations.

I don't know if anybody has been worse than Holt in that situation.  He's hitting .188 with a 23% K rate.

Betts has a .909 OPS in high leverage situations, but he now gets one less AB each game.  Everybody looks at OBP when it comes to the table-setters, but you forget that the top of the order is going to come up at important spots late in games - that's where Betts has excelled all year long.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Not sarcasm.  Brush up on your vocabulary, which is as poor as your analytical skills.  I'm no great fan of Farrell, but you carping critics are giving our unproductive veterans a free ride.  None of Ortiz, Sandoval, Ramirez, or Napoli is earning his pay.  Farrell's catcher is a 23 year old rookie because Vazquez and hanigan are on the 60 day DL.  Farrell fired the pitching coach, and the pitching improved.  

Hey slug, the veterans on this team, except Pedey, stink and they're not getting a 'free ride.' Farrell, as a manager, also stinks, but that's a smell easily gotten rid of.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Sandoval has been even worse in high leverage situations, and he is supposed to deliver.  Holt was the right guy to have batting 2d even though I too was furious when he struck out.  

Did you knock over your high chair?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeBrady1. Show JoeBrady1's posts

The posters don't pay a bit of attention.  I think Betts & Castillo will be good, but right now, Holt & De Aza are playing better, particularly Holt.  I'm not even a fan, but Holt should be in the 2-hole every game until he cools off or until someone else has a higher OBP.

Again, some posters just pay no attention at all.  Almost hitting the keyboard at random.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to JoeBrady1's comment:

The posters don't pay a bit of attention.  I think Betts & Castillo will be good, but right now, Holt & De Aza are playing better, particularly Holt.  I'm not even a fan, but Holt should be in the 2-hole every game until he cools off or until someone else has a higher OBP.

Again, some posters just pay no attention at all.  Almost hitting the keyboard at random.

I understand going with the hot hand, but Castillo was 4 for his last 7 going into yesterday's game, including a HR.  The more I look at Holt's numbers, the more I think they're a mirage - he's awful in the biggest situations, and he's a defensive - not liability, but downgrade from whomever he replaces.  Take Sunday's game - he hit 2 singles, but he dropped a ball on the track that Castillo probably gets to without a slide.   His OBP is high, but so is his K%.  It's great to take a walk, but what's the stat that shows you're more likely to strikeout in a key at bat than make a productive out?

De Aza is an average player - I don't mind him hitting for our catcher or going in for Hanley late in games, but other than that he doesn't have much upside either.

Betts is in a bit of a slump - I don't count hard line drive outs as a slump, but now he's striking out more and getting under balls a bit.  But his slumps don't last long, and he's been by far our best hitter in key at-bats - sometimes seemingly the only guy to have any chance, like last night against Britton.  He should really be at the top of the lineup - 1 or 2.  That's a mistake on Farrell.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to JoeBrady1's comment:

I understand going with the hot hand, but Castillo was 4 for his last 7 going into yesterday's game, including a HR.  The more I look at Holt's numbers, the more I think they're a mirage - he's awful in the biggest situations, and he's a defensive - not liability, but downgrade from whomever he replaces.  Take Sunday's game - he hit 2 singles, but he dropped a ball on the track that Castillo probably gets to without a slide.   His OBP is high, but so is his K%.  It's great to take a walk, but what's the stat that shows you're more likely to strikeout in a key at bat than make a productive out?

De Aza is an average player - I don't mind him hitting for our catcher or going in for Hanley late in games, but other than that he doesn't have much upside either.

Betts is in a bit of a slump - I don't count hard line drive outs as a slump, but now he's striking out more and getting under balls a bit.  But his slumps don't last long, and he's been by far our best hitter in key at-bats - sometimes seemingly the only guy to have any chance, like last night against Britton.  He should really be at the top of the lineup - 1 or 2.  That's a mistake on Farrell.

Farrell never had a true #1 and #2 hitters in the line up in all year along.  Pedy is the only guy is capable to bat in either spot.  Farrell just have no choice on who to bat lead off or who to bat at the #2 spot.  Once Shane come of DL, he ll be the #2 hitter. 

Sections
Shortcuts