Farrell has the last word on the Reddick-Bailey trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Farrell has the last word on the Reddick-Bailey trade

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Letting posters say what they want? OK, Shumpeter posts complete BS and I respond calling it total BS. Schumpeter knows that he is posting BS or else he is senile. Take your pick. Why take trolls or senile people seriously? Give me a break. Start your own posts. I do and so do several others but such posts don't draw flies like the horse-sh-it threads. Yoo all must be well aware of that by now? If the only threads that draw flies are inane, BS, or tabloid, then the forum is in deep trouble.

[/QUOTE]

But, Pike, while the Shumps, Gales, Leftys, ADGs, etc. frustrate me with their relentless negativism, at least they talk baseball. [and I would like to apologise to Lefty for an overly rude exchange I precipitated a few months back]

Can you not see that you are just 1 of the 2 posters that complain about other posters' behaviour here? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

Big secret of the forum is that that Softlaw and Moon are the same poster.

The other surprise is that Carnie = ADG.

[/QUOTE]

Finally broke another looney barrier.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Big secret of the forum is that that Softlaw and Moon are the same poster.

The other surprise is that Carnie = ADG.

[/QUOTE]

Finally broke another looney barrier.

[/QUOTE]

...and...

Enchilada T = Burrito

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow.

Farrell announced that Hanrahan is the closer and Bailey is the set up man, thereby ending the long-standing argument about whether trading Reddick for Bailey was a bad deal.

Farrell just said "yes" it was a bad deal. 

He's not even interested in giving Bailey achance to win the closer job - he already knows that Bailey is not up to that job.

The Sox gave up an All Star, Gold Glove 25 year old OF who mashed HRs all season for a set up guy.  Not "THE" set up guy - just one of many set up guys.

Case closed.

[/QUOTE]

I still don't like Reddick. There are lots of reasons not to. But anyway, sure bad trade you win. Yay.

Glad that's over with.

[/QUOTE]

I always liked Reddck, but he still has plenty of question marks.  Start with the .608 OPS in his last 54 games, with a 51/12 K/W.  He needs to control the zone better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Trading away Reddick was at worst like trading away Phil Plantier yet SG is convinced he is another Ruth or Bagwell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trading away Reddick was at worst like trading away Phil Plantier yet SG is convinced he is another Ruth or Bagwell.

[/QUOTE]

No need to exaggerate - I don't ver rate the guy.  I just think he is a 25 year old OF who was better than ANY OF we played last year.  Oh, and he picked up a Gold Glove in RF.

That is not a platoon player and it is really funny to see people irrationally calling a gold glove award winner who hit 32 bombs a "platoon player"

These are the same people who say the Red Sox must sign Napoli and Drewski even says that the Sox with Napoli will go from 85 wins to 89.  Napli is worth 4 wins?  And Of cousre Reddick wouldn't even "start" because we have Gomes.  That is waht Drewski is peddling.

But at least drewski writes thoughtful posts.  There are some insane people on this site - literally insane people.  (you know who you are, now take your meds).

After getting attacked for an entire baseball season by the Bailey fans - I just thought it funny that the Sox manager knew immediately to demote Bailey.  When you trade a 25 year old all star, 32 HRs, and gold glove guy for a closer who never actually closes....

Is that not a bad deal? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the ghost was an A's fan, he'd be saying that by trading for Young, they were admitting the Reddick deal was a "bad" trade.

[/QUOTE]

This could have been a great point.  Except the A's manager did not announce Young is the starting RF on the day they made the deal.

That would have been the congruent move by the A's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

...while the Shumps, Gales, Leftys, ADGs, etc. frustrate me with their relentless negativism...

[/QUOTE]

No.  I am not "relentlessly negative" - not true.

I have praised the signings of Uehara and Hanrahan.  I have also praised the overall bullpen situation that Cherrington has - probably the best pen in the AL.

I hate the Gomes signing.  Don't like the Drew signing.  Both for the same reason - we can get just as much from existing players like Kalish and Iggy without spending a penny.

I think victorino is on the downhill and if we had got him cheap for 2 years - cool.  But expensive for 3 years is not smart.

I am against Napoli because he is a physical wreck.

However, I am one of the very few posters who think that kalish, Lavanway, and Iggy can all play this year and do well.  Pretty strange situation when praising young players is considered "relentlessly negative"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No need to exaggerate - I don't ver rate the guy.  I just think he is a 25 year old OF who was better than ANY OF we played last year.  Oh, and he picked up a Gold Glove in RF.

That is not a platoon player and it is really funny to see people irrationally calling a gold glove award winner who hit 32 bombs a "platoon player"

These are the same people who say the Red Sox must sign Napoli and Drewski even says that the Sox with Napoli will go from 85 wins to 89.  Napli is worth 4 wins?  And Of cousre Reddick wouldn't even "start" because we have Gomes.  That is waht Drewski is peddling.

But at least drewski writes thoughtful posts.  There are some insane people on this site - literally insane people.  (you know who you are, now take your meds).

After getting attacked for an entire baseball season by the Bailey fans - I just thought it funny that the Sox manager knew immediately to demote Bailey.  When you trade a 25 year old all star, 32 HRs, and gold glove guy for a closer who never actually closes....

Is that not a bad deal? 

[/QUOTE]

Without Napoli we are relying too much on guys like Stephen Drew and Middlebrooks.  While Middlebrooks has displayed a ton of raw power and an ability to adjust on the fly, he does have a long swing which makes him prone to strikeouts.  He has a ton of minor league Ks to show for it.  He could also learn to command the strike zone a bit better.  He really didnt have many AAA at-bats.  I think he'll be a very good player; however, Im expecting a bit of regression in 2013.  Sophmore slump is B.  I think expecting anything above .270, 22 HR , .810 OPS is optimistic.

So...without Napoli who hits #4 behind Orti?.  Pedey isnt a middle of the lineup guy.  If you look at the 2012 top offenses , you will notice that the Yankees were something like sixth in batting average, first in homeruns, first in runs scored.  This is usually the trend, as RBIs are more correlated w HRs than anything else.  HRs in the middle of your lineup are crucial, and Napoli's .iso and HR/PA show that he has 30+ HR power (assuming health).  Granted, there may be an issue w his hip; however, his righty power is so badly needed that we should only walk if there is a real and untreatable injury.  The fact that we havent walked yet suggests that there isnt.

Napolis value isnt the position he plays, its where he hits in the batting order and the righty power that we so desperately need.  This is the difference between mediocrity (85 wins) and contending for the second WC spot (89 wins)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I did not give the trade much thought last year.... I knew we needed a closer. With hindsight even if the solid fielding Reddick had manged 4 or 5 seasons of 20-25 homers 70 ribbies out there in RF it would have been a plus, a big plus. 

I look at Trot Nixon's stats and they are not awesome but he was to be depended on for about 6 years.... and had some big moments.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is that not a bad deal? 

[/QUOTE]

Gomes has a .894 career OPS vs lefties.  Reddick is .757 for his career.  Reddick would not start against lefties if he was on the Sox.  He would start 70% of the time, as 70% of pitchers are righties; however, he would sit against lefties.

I dont feel that he would have prevented us from signing SHane either.  Shane provides valuable insurance if Ellsbury walks.  Likely, Reddick would platoon w Gomes in LF.  If he takes a step forward at the plate, Gomes would probably be demoted to fourth OF in 2014 w/ Reddick taking over as a corner outfield regular.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I did not give the trade much thought last year.... I knew we needed a closer. With hindsight even if the solid fielding Reddick had manged 4 or 5 seasons of 20-25 homers 70 ribbies out there in RF it would have been a plus, a big plus. 

I look at Trot Nixon's stats and they are not awesome but he was to depended on for about 6 years.... and had some big moments.

[/QUOTE]

Fair.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow.

Farrell announced that Hanrahan is the closer and Bailey is the set up man, thereby ending the long-standing argument about whether trading Reddick for Bailey was a bad deal.

He's not even interested in giving Bailey achance to win the closer job - he already knows that Bailey is not up to that job.

The Sox gave up an All Star, Gold Glove 25 year old OF who mashed HRs all season for a set up guy.  Not "THE" set up guy - just one of many set up guys.

Case closed.

[/QUOTE]

When Farrell allegedly said "Yes, it was a bad deal," he was referring to the deal that brought him to the Red Sox in return for Mike Aviles.  Like you, I have no source for this quote, so you'll just have to take my word for it :).  

Oh, and by the way, this case is also closed, so there's no point in debating it.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'm going to channel my inner Hill55:

2012 WAR

Reddick  4.8

Bailey   0

Lowrie  2.5

Melancon   0

Disclaimer: all trades should not be judged too early.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Reddick the Sox traded a young athletic ball player who showed that when given the shot to play everyday could compete at the big league level. A aside from the homers & rbi's. Reddick also won a gold glove.

It's time we all let this go and wish Reddick good health and hope that Bailey can come to camp and prove to all that he's a quality late innings reliever. To those that try to disparage the kid, I'd suggest you might want to wait until after the 2013 season before concluding that Reddick will fall of the map...he may well end up a platoon player...he also could continue to developer and be an everyday player with All Star potential...he's only 25....

As for Bailey, the kid has already proven when healthy that he's a quality reliever...it's not his fault that he tore a ligament in his thumb...it's simply bad luck...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the second half of last year, Reddick had:

a .215 BA, .256 OBP, 12 HR (as opposed to 20 in the first half), .391 slg.

In sept/Oct he hit .167.  By year end, he was hitting eigth in the As lineup.

Reddick would be a platoon player on the 2013 RS.  Lets please stop acting like he was a monumental loss.

[/QUOTE]

As far as I can tell, except for Pedey and maybe WMB, everyone is platoon player on the 2013 RS.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Im not sure why folks are calling the OP a BS guy. If you look at one years stats, then it was a bad trade (again key is one year) But his whole point was that Bailey is now the setup man and one could in fact take from that, that Farrel is saying it was maybe not a good idea. then again, im not a mind reader and im sure that Farrel is just saying based upon last year Hanny makes better sense as the closer. As long as it is not Ace (he was put in a bad role) im ok with that.

I also have to admit that this looks like a very good trade for the Sox, I dont see they gave up much for the one year rental.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what, the new manager didnt wait four years to evaluate the Baikey trade like so many posters seemed to be saying? LOLOL

the OP is right on...the trade was a huge fail....move on and cut losses asap...i want to see bailey sent packing so i never have to ever remember him and melancon stinking up Fenway

btw, good trade ben cherington...keeping up the steller GM work with napoli signing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the second half of last year, Reddick had:

a .215 BA, .256 OBP, 12 HR (as opposed to 20 in the first half), .391 slg.

In sept/Oct he hit .167.  By year end, he was hitting eigth in the As lineup.

Reddick would be a platoon player on the 2013 RS.  Lets please stop acting like he was a monumental loss.

[/QUOTE]

We can't fix the past. We can do something about today.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

Farrell decided to disclose who the closer will be going into the 2013 season.

It is not an indictment on Bailey.

Bailey missed most of the 2012 season due to a freak injury, not because he was injury-prone. Upon returning to the mound in September he was mediocre which could be due to shaking off the rust.

How good of a reliever he  is cannot be determined from 2012. The jury is still out. Posters who wanted to boost their forum ego by stating otherwise had no facts to support their stance. They were ranting in a vacuum of data.

Farrell did not give any reasons for his choice. He didn't say the Hanrahan was 100% better or 1% better than Bailey. How could he based on no real input from 2012? He doesn't have a dog in the race like Schumpeter, ADG, DGalehouse, and Georom have on the grumpy old men bash team on BDC. Farrell felt compelled to make a choice and that might just be the expected routine or SOP.

There are two sides to the Bailey for Reddick debate. Two sides - not two teams. One side says that the jury is still out due to a lack of data. The other side is "out to lunch" in drawing definite conclusions without any real data. It is not "Bootlickers" vs. "realists". It is logic vs. pure speculation / BS.

[/QUOTE]

Edith, it takes a real man to say he was wrong...dont be a dingbat

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow.

Case closed.

[/QUOTE]

I still don't like Reddick. There are lots of reasons not to. But anyway, sure bad trade you win. Yay.

Glad that's over with.

[/QUOTE]

I always liked Reddck, but he still has plenty of question marks.  Start with the .608 OPS in his last 54 games, with a 51/12 K/W.  He needs to control the zone better.

[/QUOTE]
    what about his glove? his teams record last year? thats what you base his season on?