Farrell is Becoming very Inconsistent in his moves.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Farrell is Becoming very Inconsistent in his moves.

Can someone explain why Peavey was taken out, in the 6th inning with the Red Sox winning and with one of your top starters at only 92 pitches and the bottom of the order?

This move made no sense. If he uses the bs excuse about a double switch, then he doesn't know when to use it. Yes, Peavey's batting spot was two spots away in the 7th inning, but the Red Sox were WINNING 2-1, not losing. Peavey could have hit for himself. He could have shortened the bullpen.

And I don't buy the excuse about not using Uehara in the bottom of the 9th inning with the bases loaded, instead of the Villareal, who had allowed 17 of 27 batters to reach base this year and was in the minors all year.

Didn't Farrell use Uehara in a tie game on the road when they didn't use Bailey (when it was suspected he was hurt). Uehara went two innings that day.  Maybe Uehara gets out of the inning, the Red Sox gets a run and then essentially he is pitching in a save-like situation.

And lastly, why didn't Ortiz pinch hit? Why Napoli?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Farrell is Becoming very Inconsistent in his moves.

In response to ADG's comment:

Can someone explain why Peavey was taken out, in the 6th inning with the Red Sox winning and with one of your top starters at only 92 pitches and the bottom of the order?

This move made no sense. If he uses the bs excuse about a double switch, then he doesn't know when to use it. Yes, Peavey's batting spot was two spots away in the 7th inning, but the Red Sox were WINNING 2-1, not losing. Peavey could have hit for himself. He could have shortened the bullpen.

And I don't buy the excuse about not using Uehara in the bottom of the 9th inning with the bases loaded, instead of the Villareal, who had allowed 17 of 27 batters to reach base this year and was in the minors all year.

Didn't Farrell use Uehara in a tie game on the road when they didn't use Bailey (when it was suspected he was hurt). Uehara went two innings that day.  Maybe Uehara gets out of the inning, the Red Sox gets a run and then essentially he is pitching in a save-like situation.

And lastly, why didn't Ortiz pinch hit? Why Napoli?

Call him... Why b..itch to us?......Plus ... Grow up !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I questioned taking peavy out as well ADG. I didnt mind using Breslow in that situation either, but I personally would have let Peavy pitch to a guy who was 0-2 against him. Farrell has made some very head scratching moves and given some lame excuse as to why.

You know me ADG. Im usually pretty fair and try to understand why a move was made. Recently Farrell has made me question his use of the pitching staff.

Dempster having one of his best games gets yanked after 88 pitches in favor of Taz, who has had issues with Toronto. Then allowing Dempster to go 107 pitches against NY when he should have never come out for the 6th inning. Pulling Peavy after 5 2/3 after only giving up 5 hits and 1 run.  Not letting Koji get 4 outs for us last night and instead use a pitcher who has walked 35 batters in 42IP in a very high pressure situation. 2 outs bottom 9th bases loaded. I could think of a couple more, but these are the most recent one that are not logically defensible. I knew who was available in each situation, heard his reasoning as to why he made the move and it just seemed like spin to me.

As far as Papi. He was pretty sore from what I read, so I dont mind the big guy getting a full day off. Hes almost 38 and never plays the field. That, and the lack of sleep and long flight, I dont mind him sitting this one out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He's also got 3 very good Managers behind him in the AL East, who dont make many mistakes. All play aggressive too. We'll see how this shakes out when in last Month they go head-to-head often.

Bochy even though his team is doing bad this year, is very underated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I questioned taking peavy out as well ADG. I didnt mind using Breslow in that situation either, but I personally would have let Peavy pitch to a guy who was 0-2 against him. Farrell has made some very head scratching moves and given some lame excuse as to why.

You know me ADG. Im usually pretty fair and try to understand why a move was made. Recently Farrell has made me question his use of the pitching staff.

Dempster having one of his best games gets yanked after 88 pitches in favor of Taz, who has had issues with Toronto. Then allowing Dempster to go 107 pitches against NY when he should have never come out for the 6th inning. Pulling Peavy after 5 2/3 after only giving up 5 hits and 1 run.  Not letting Koji get 4 outs for us last night and instead use a pitcher who has walked 35 batters in 42IP in a very high pressure situation. 2 outs bottom 9th bases loaded. I could think of a couple more, but these are the most recent one that are not logically defensible. I knew who was available in each situation, heard his reasoning as to why he made the move and it just seemed like spin to me.

As far as Papi. He was pretty sore from what I read, so I dont mind the big guy getting a full day off. Hes almost 38 and never plays the field. That, and the lack of sleep and long flight, I dont mind him sitting this one out.

southpaw - I agree with you. You also don't rip me like other posters do. They think I'm not a fan, but indeed passionate, played through college and understand the game.

The other think bothering me about not using Uehara is that I believe in the last week, he has thrown exactly 13 pitches. The 'saving him for a save situation' is s complete bs excuse because he's done it before this year. And as I stated, if he holds them, and the Sox by chance score in the 10th, isn't that a 'save-like situation'? Absolutely yes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

National League Park and rules, if had to you can also use a starter. It's not written in stone you must use a reliever. This time of year have to bite the bullet.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I always defend Farrell, plus in this case I didn't watch the game.  But I watched the MLB.com replay on my iPad, which is pretty complete.  I give him a pass on peavy, but none on the the 9th inning, which he botched, pure and simple. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Not much to disagree with what ADG and Southpaw have posted. We cannot afford to let games like that get away from us at this juncture...simply cannot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

southpaw - I agree with you. You also don't rip me like other posters do. They think I'm not a fan, but indeed passionate, played through college and understand the game.

The other think bothering me about not using Uehara is that I believe in the last week, he has thrown exactly 13 pitches. The 'saving him for a save situation' is s complete bs excuse because he's done it before this year. And as I stated, if he holds them, and the Sox by chance score in the 10th, isn't that a 'save-like situation'? Absolutely yes.

[/QUOTE]

Thats why I didnt buy the lame excuse farrell gave. You have to get to extras before you can win and Koji gave you the best chance to do that. He could have ended that inning with 3-4 pitches. Villareal is a walking machine and was the absolute last option in that situation.

Koji goes 4 outs, if it goes further you have Britton give you as many IP as he can depending on PC. Probably 2-3IP. THEN if you need another arm you let Villareal start a fresh IP, which would be either the 13th or 14th depending on Britton.. At some point I might even consider Workman to give me yet another IP, depending on the situation. At this time of the year you have to do what it takes to give the team the best chance to win. You cant play for tomorrow. This is where overworking guys early in the year comes back to bite you. With Dempster on suspension, I dont think using another starter would be a wise move either. Koji was the obvious choice there. It was a dumb move that cant be logically defended IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Some of Farrell's decisions lately have been puzzling. I didn't have a problem w/ him pulling Peavy but using Morales in the 9th was a bad decision made only worse by using a guy who is a walk machine and has no business being on an MLB roster. He easily could've had Uehara pitch to the final batter of the 9th and then the 10th if necessary, he hadn't pitched much over the last 3 days.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I agree that bringing Villarreal into that situation was the wrong call.  I understand Farrell wanting to keep Koji in case the the Sox took the lead, but IMO, that was the save situation right there.

Even if he didn't want to go with Koji, Villarreal is probably the last guy you would want in there with bases loaded.

At any rate, Farrell is not to blame for the loss.

I also think the decision to sit 3 left handed bats in the same game against a RHP is a little curious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I agree that bringing Villarreal into that situation was the wrong call.  I understand Farrell wanting to keep Koji in case the the Sox took the lead, but IMO, that was the save situation right there.

Even if he didn't want to go with Koji, Villarreal is probably the last guy you would want in there with bases loaded.

I also think the decision to sit 3 left handed bats in the same game against a RHP is a little curious.

I can understand sitting papi for a game, but not Drew or Salty. Ross and Bogey could have waited another day with a LHP going today. They knew SF switched pitchers early on yesterday and I think the players would have understood if they switched things up. I understand they let them know the day before if they are playing or not, but things happen every once in a while and I dont think this group of players (Drew/Salty and Ross/Bogey) would have complained if they were moved around to give the Sox the best chance to win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

With Villarreal's history of control problems, he shouldn't be seen except in blowout situations until he demonstrates that he can be relied upon.

I think we may regret not bringing in another RH reliever. Tazawa can't pitch multiple innings every day, and Workman may be the future but he has a 7.82 ERA / 1.74 WHIP in relief so far. Yes, the numbers say the bullpen has been very good, but relying on anyone other than Uehara has begun to feel like Russian roulette lately.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The lineup could have been better.  Starting Bogaerts over Drew, who is hot and hits righties well, especially with RISP, was not smart at all. Kind of like bill-806 is his bench coach.   Bogaerts grounded out with the bases loaded and with men on 2d and 3d.  Also missing were two other good lefty bats, Ortiz and saltalamacchia.  

Im beginning to think Farrell over complicates things.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

Isn't it a managers job to put his team in the best position to win? Koji was the best and most logical choice. You don't get the out you'll have no need for anyone else and certainly no need for your closer. Ok, he says he was saving Koji...ok, so, you bring in the guy that's least likely to get the out. May as well have put john lackey in to pinch hit for napoli...on second thought that would have been genius. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I disagree. You win as team and lose as a team. He is the manager, he makes out the lineup and chooses which pitcher's to put in. He doesn't play but his decisions can effect the out come of a gm good or bad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

[QUOTE]

I disagree. You win as team and lose as a team. He is the manager, he makes out the lineup and chooses which pitcher's to put in. He doesn't play but his decisions can effect the out come of a gm good or bad.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. A managers moves can certainly cost a game. In this case there's strong evidence to support that. Not saying that they would have won but Farrell in no way put them in the best position to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I always defend Farrell, plus in this case I didn't watch the game.  But I watched the MLB.com replay on my iPad, which is pretty complete.  I give him a pass on peavy, but none on the the 9th inning, which he botched, pure and simple. 

This time we agree totally. But there was another major blunder yet last night... Ross hits a double to start seventh inning, with game still 2 to 1... An insurance run was huge and would have changed game completely... Why not, first, have a pinch runner, then and this is most crucial, not order a sacrifice so the runner goes to third with less than 2 outs... My goodness, you go to play National League, play National League!!!... To add up to our miseries, we lose a one run game against three righties and Papi frozen in the bench... is John F prepared to face nine games against orioles, three against TB, six againts Yanks, three against Dodgers, three against Detroit and so forth?...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

The lineup could have been better.  Starting Bogaerts over Drew, who is hot and hits righties well, especially with RISP, was not smart at all. Kind of like bill-806 is his bench coach.   Bogaerts grounded out with the bases loaded and with men on 2d and 3d.  Also missing were two other good lefty bats, Ortiz and saltalamacchia.  

Im beginning to think Farrell over complicates things.  

Scary. Tongue Out At least he did not go with the 806 dream-team lineup:

C - NEXT CARLTON FISK

1B - Middlebrooks

2B - Pedroia (still young enough, at least until Mookie Betts is ready...oh screw it, he's in Salem, of course he's ready)

SS - Bogaerts

3B - Cecchini

LF - Nava

CF - Bradley

RF - Brentz

DH - Alex Hassan

Bench - Vazquez, Marrero, Hazelbaker, Almanzar

Rotation - Barnes, Webster, Ranaudo, Workman, Owens

Closer - RDLR

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I can understand sitting papi for a game, but not Drew or Salty. Ross and Bogey could have waited another day with a LHP going today. They knew SF switched pitchers early on yesterday and I think the players would have understood if they switched things up. I understand they let them know the day before if they are playing or not, but things happen every once in a while and I dont think this group of players (Drew/Salty and Ross/Bogey) would have complained if they were moved around to give the Sox the best chance to win.

I agree.  Sometimes circumstances arise that call for changing up the game plan.

My question is, however, why would Farrell even schedule 3 lefty regulars to sit against a RHP in the same game to begin with?  I understand that they need a day off, but with the Giants supposedly having RHPs going all 3 games, wouldn't it have made more sense to sit one of those players in each game?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I completely agree with this post Stan.  Farrell does deserve part of the 'blame' for the loss, but I would disagree with someone saying that Farrell cost us this game or that this loss is on Farrell.  I don't think you can ever pin a loss on one player, one play, or one decision, no matter how bad they might be.

And while I think Koji should have been brought into the game, there is no guarantee that he would have gotten out of that situation, and if he had gotten out of that situation, there is no guarantee that the Sox would have gone on to win anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Of course there are no guarantees but you have way more of a chance to get out of that bases loaded situation with koji than you would have with Villarreal who is proven to be a walk machine....it was one of the worst decisions i have ever seen.... there were many bad decisions last night but whats the point of going into it... bottom line though is if your team is not playing well you cant have your manager sabotaging games with bad moves!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

With 34 games left and several off days coming up, was it really necessary to rest Ortiz against a guy like Vogelsong ? He could have made the difference. If anything , it would make more sense to rest him against Zito. At some point here , it has to be all hands on deck. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

You have to wonder if Farrell was told to start Bogaerts.  The timing of the call was odd and appeared to be influenced by a need for positive PR...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein