Farrell is Becoming very Inconsistent in his moves.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Farrell is Becoming very Inconsistent in his moves.

Somebody on another thread raised a question which may be one of the most troubling of all.

If Farrell didn't want to use Workman 3 days in a row, why on earth did he use him Monday with a 7 run lead?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I agree that bringing Villarreal into that situation was the wrong call.  I understand Farrell wanting to keep Koji in case the the Sox took the lead, but IMO, that was the save situation right there.

Even if he didn't want to go with Koji, Villarreal is probably the last guy you would want in there with bases loaded.

At any rate, Farrell is not to blame for the loss.

I also think the decision to sit 3 left handed bats in the same game against a RHP is a little curious.

Exactly. With the bases loaded, the last guy you want in is someone who is averaging two walks per IP.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

With the bases loaded, tie game, bottom of the 9th and two outs, there is absolutely only one choice, Uehara.  

That said, Morales was the biggest culprit giving up a walk after being ahead, 1-2, then hitting a guy on another 1-2 count.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, it was a tight game.  Boston could have won it or lose the game.  Yes it was strange to bench two hot hitting Drew and Papi, but I think that Farrell didnt want to play Papi at 1b every game which we all knew about that.  Never know he could injure himself playing there which that could be a big blow to the team.  Farrell had to play Borgaret now cuz he is with the team for two games so far, and we all know he didnt started out too well.    Do not forget that Boston will be facing two left handed pitchers on this coming saturday and Sunday against the Dodgers.   Therefore I think that Farrell wanted to warm Bogaret up a little bit and who know that he may another chance to play again this coming weekend.  Also Drew also need a rest. Boston already dealing with injuries on Victorino, Pedroia and Napoli, and cant afford more injuries. That is why Papi sits too

Tonite, I strongly think that Farrell have to put all the regulars back in the game tonite and hopefully they win the game at the same time to see a slumpy Baltimore to win the game tonite.   If not, then just win it no matter which AL East team do tonite.

Remember, Boston had a funny schedule, and soon they are heading back home for a nice six home games while Tampa will start their difficult schedule starting this weekend!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TB17JM16. Show TB17JM16's posts

I can't believe that Farrell did not use Koji last night either.

But he did use him today with a 12-1 lead, just to get him some work???

Should have been Uehara last night and Villarreal today for some garbage time work.

Farrell has me wondering about these very Franconian type moves, choosing players rest over wins. The ironic thing is that up until recently he was coach of the year imo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I will ask and answer a question 

Why did he take out Peavy...he was at 92 pitches and cruising along.

Answer: With Peavy scheduled to hit in the next inning and due to his pictch count being at 92, had he left him in to finish the inning, knowing that he was done and he wouldn't have come out in the seventh, he would have had to  pinch hit for him anyways. By executing a double switch he gets to set up his lineup for the next inning and it allows Breslow to stay in the game to pitch in the seventh. my guess is that at that point he was thinking Peavy to Breslow to Tazawa to Uehara. Game over. 

Breslow did his job keeping the Giants off the board. Entering the eighth he handed the ball to Tazawa and the plan was stil solid. Tazawa got the first guy he faces, then allows two singles with the lead runner advancing to 3rd with Buster Posey up less than two outs Tazawa made a good pitch and gave up the tying run on a sac fly foul ball. A play that one could argue Victorino should have let drop (a debate i'll save for another thread) It was at this point the plan changed. Tazawa finished the inning with strikeout. So as we entered the ninth tied at two, Farrel was left with four arms available Morales, Britton, Villareal and Uehara (Workman was unavailble due to having pitched the last two) It was at this point where Farrel had to make a decision on how best to use his remaining arms. He chose to go with Morales to open the frame and give us a chance to hit in extras. Farrel at this point also had to factor in that the game could go extra innings and how best to use is closer. My guess is that Britton would have come out to pitch the tenth if the game was still tied with Uehara at the ready if the Sox had taken the lead. Then Morales spit the bit and at that point he has yet to get Uehara hot...with Villareal his only option he chose to have him get hot and relieve the struggling Morales and save his closer A move I judged to be a sound baseball move. That many here question. 

Therein lyes the rub, should he have had Uehara up and ready in the ninth in a tie gane on the raod. So once Morales began to show signs of struggling. Instead of entrusting Villareal to get out of a bases loaded jam with the winning run 90 feet away. Did the unorthodox thing and get his closer hot in a tied game on the road in case Morales struggled. Then if they got out of the jam Uehara comes out to pitch in the tenth. Leaving Britton and Villarreal to finish the deal..

Or should he have instead of taking Morales out gone out and challenged to finish the deal instead of going to Villareal....that's an argument I've yet to see anyone present.

I welcome everyone's take on how that would have managed the end game differently....and it's not good enough to say I would have pitch Uehara. becuase it is not that simple...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Somebody on another thread raised a question which may be one of the most troubling of all.

If Farrell didn't want to use Workman 3 days in a row, why on earth did he use him Monday with a 7 run lead?

Hfx,

Come on man...you're to astute to even ask such a question. Rarely do any relievers pitch in three consequetive games...I guess we're now to the point where we're questioning moves made without the luxury of a crystal ball. Workman's role on this team is to be a multiple innings middle guy. He pitched him because the team had a need and it's what he gats paid to do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If it worked, nobody would have cared.

Uehara has been over-worked enough already. Tazawa has too. A few starters could use a skipped start or two. The trouble is, we are too close for any comfort area to play with.

Second guessing managers always seems too sketchy for me. I realize some of you make your points before the results are in, and I guess that gives you some more leeway, but by and large, I think John has done a fine job with our staff. We lost our best starter and top 2 closers. We've had to use 26 pitchers, including 11 different starters.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The 11 starters is deceiving because for the most part -- especially after Lackey came back in April -- most of those extra starters were in place of Buchholz. Basically, Lester, Lackey, Dempster and Doubrant have taken the ball every fifth day, which has been huge. The 11 starters would be a big issue if they were scrambling to fill other spots.

For the most part, I haven't had major problems with Farrell. I've at times questioned why he used certain relievers at certain times and on occassion felt he should have left the starter stay in a bit later, but nothing major. That's par for the course with all managers.

I'm sure Farrell would have done some things differently had he had the chance to do it over again, but that goes for all coaches and managers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

The 11 starters is deceiving because for the most part -- especially after Lackey came back in April -- most of those extra starters were in place of Buchholz. Basically, Lester, Lackey, Dempster and Doubrant have taken the ball every fifth day, which has been huge. The 11 starters would be a big issue if they were scrambling to fill other spots.

For the most part, I haven't had major problems with Farrell. I've at times questioned why he used certain relievers at certain times and on occassion felt he should have left the starter stay in a bit later, but nothing major. That's par for the course with all managers.

I'm sure Farrell would have done some things differently had he had the chance to do it over again, but that goes for all coaches and managers.

Agreed, but some of the biggest complainers wrote off any chance of the Sox contending this year, but here we are in 1st place in mid August, despite a bum for a manager and a bum for a GM. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

If it worked, nobody would have cared.

Uehara has been over-worked enough already. Tazawa has too. A few starters could use a skipped start or two. The trouble is, we are too close for any comfort area to play with.

Second guessing managers always seems too sketchy for me. I realize some of you make your points before the results are in, and I guess that gives you some more leeway, but by and large, I think John has done a fine job with our staff. We lost our best starter and top 2 closers. We've had to use 26 pitchers, including 11 different starters.

Sox4ever

moon - If Uehara had been worked "enough already" as you have stated (FYI, going into the game, he had only thrown 13 pitches in the previous week) why would Farrell use him the next night in a 12-1 game????????????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Hfx,

Come on man...you're to astute to even ask such a question. Rarely do any relievers pitch in three consequetive games...I guess we're now to the point where we're questioning moves made without the luxury of a crystal ball. Workman's role on this team is to be a multiple innings middle guy. He pitched him because the team had a need and it's what he gats paid to do.

I always respect your viewpoint BT.  But let's take a look at this specific situation.  In Monday's game, Farrell chose to use Workman to get the last 2 outs.  The score was 7-0 with one out and two runners on.  You would have to categorize this as a low-leverage situation where you can use your worst reliever.  This would have been a good time to try Villareal.

Instead he used Workman knowing that this would make him unavailable for the next game.

I think there's reason to question whether this was good management of his bullpen resources.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hfx,

I always respect your viewpoint BT.  But let's take a look at this specific situation.  In Monday's game, Farrell chose to use Workman to get the last 2 outs.  The score was 7-0 with one out and two runners on.  You would have to categorize this as a low-leverage situation where you can use your worst reliever.  This would have been a good time to try Villareal.

Instead he used Workman knowing that this would make him unavailable for the next game.

I think there's reason to question whether this was good management of his bullpen resources.

I would agree it may well have been the best chance to get Villareal some work...Lets not forget that Workmans hasn't excatly been lights out coming out of the pen either. So it was a good day to get him some work too. 

I too have reat respect for your opins, on that day had you questioned the decision. I would have no problem, but to suggest that Farrel should've somehow tried to save him just in case we couldn't close out a 1 run game two days later. Is a stretch IMHO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Can someone explain why Peavey was taken out, in the 6th inning with the Red Sox winning and with one of your top starters at only 92 pitches and the bottom of the order?

This move made no sense. If he uses the bs excuse about a double switch, then he doesn't know when to use it. Yes, Peavey's batting spot was two spots away in the 7th inning, but the Red Sox were WINNING 2-1, not losing. Peavey could have hit for himself. He could have shortened the bullpen.

That was pretty much a slamdunk.  Peavy would be at about 100 after the inning, so the chances of another full inning were not big.  The next two guys in the lineup were lefties, and Kieschnick was already 2-2 v Peavy.

The Uehara move I didn't agree with at all.  My guess is that's one of the ones he'd like to take back.

IRT Papi, he's nicked up and I have no problem giving starts to Carp v righties.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Can someone explain why Peavey was taken out, in the 6th inning with the Red Sox winning and with one of your top starters at only 92 pitches and the bottom of the order?

This move made no sense. If he uses the bs excuse about a double switch, then he doesn't know when to use it. Yes, Peavey's batting spot was two spots away in the 7th inning, but the Red Sox were WINNING 2-1, not losing. Peavey could have hit for himself. He could have shortened the bullpen.

That was pretty much a slamdunk.  Peavy would be at about 100 after the inning, so the chances of another full inning were not big.  The next two guys in the lineup were lefties, and Kieschnick was already 2-2 v Peavy.

The Uehara move I didn't agree with at all.  My guess is that's one of the ones he'd like to take back.

IRT Papi, he's nicked up and I have no problem giving starts to Carp v righties.

Joe,

I concur the double switch worked perfectly, Breslow did his job...it was text book old school baseball...

As for his using Villareal v Uehara I'm not so sure that Farrel would have changed his decision even given the outcome. Again if he were playing not to lose then Uehara starts the ninth. He concluded after they tied the game and I agree that our best chance to win was to use Uehara in a save situation with Britton pitching if we don't score in the 10th or 11th. I do think if he had it to do over he would probably have left Morales in And challenged him to getter dun...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Joe,

I concur the double switch worked perfectly, Breslow did his job...it was text book old school baseball...

As for his using Villareal v Uehara I'm not so sure that Farrel would have changed his decision even given the outcome. Again if he were playing not to lose then Uehara starts the ninth. He concluded after they tied the game and I agree that our best chance to win was to use Uehara in a save situation with Britton pitching if we don't score in the 10th or 11th. I do think if he had it to do over he would probably have left Morales in And challenged him to getter dun...

Yeah, Breslow could not have worked out any better.  He gets out of a runner on 2nd and retires 4-4.

And I understand holding back your closer, and if he had put almost anyone else in, it's a preference play.  But Villareal just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen.

Sections
Shortcuts