FARRELL just got my PERMANENT respect upon yanking HANRAHAN!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: FARRELL just got my PERMANENT respect upon yanking HANRAHAN!

Great move by Farrell. I do not think we win the game if he does not make the move right there. He obviously anticipated it , as he had Uehara warming. In fairness to Tito , not too many managers would have been that aggressive. And we would have been hearing the nonsense about how you have to trust your closer, etc., etc. , etc. Great managing. Game ball to John Farrell. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"Alex, I'll take 'jabronis' for $400". gotta love Uhi's enthusiasm. He's been the bizarro hanrahan so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Great move by Farrell. I do not think we win the game if he does not make the move right there. He obviously anticipated it , as he had Uehara warming. In fairness to Tito , not too many managers would have been that aggressive. And we would have been hearing the nonsense about how you have to trust your closer, etc., etc. , etc. Great managing. Game ball to John Farrell. 

i don't think it was a great move.... it was a bad call to bring out Hanny with the game tied in the first place. he just saved face from being blasted for bringing out hanrahan to blow another game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Im not giving up on Han! But I,m Glad Farrel pulled the plug quick! Ala no tito, I can wait another inning! These sox cannot (ala 2004) comeback to win when a reliever blows it! I have already committed to Han has to re-earn his spot! Right now he is my 4th option! Others here will say we are paying him all this money (Who cares) and he has been a great closer (not in the AL east). Take the kids gloves off, he stinks right now! But who knows what the future brings. Im eyes wide open!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i don't think it was a great move.... it was a bad call to bring out Hanny with the game tied in the first place. he just saved face from being blasted for bringing out hanrahan to blow another game.

Like it or not Hanny is the closer on this team so when is he supposed to pitch? According to your logic, never.... it was in fact a great move to take him out, I just wish Farrell had done that against the Os but at least he didnt make the same mistake twice.....great move..end of story.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Like it or not Hanny is the closer on this team so when is he supposed to pitch? According to your logic, never.... it was in fact a great move to take him out, I just wish Farrell had done that against the Os but at least he didnt make the same mistake twice.....great move..end of story.

usually i'd go with a save situation..... that's just me though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Mef, really? I respect you, but Han serves up two walks, is that because he did not have a lead? very unlikely! He needs to get his act together! He is a major league pitcher being paid quite well and he stinks! You seriously cannot defend this! Your much more intelligent than that! I also believe that Han will recover and do well, but it is not right now!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Mef, really? I respect you, but Han serves up two walks, is that because he did not have a lead? very unlikely! He needs to get his act together! He is a major league pitcher being paid quite well and he stinks! You seriously cannot defend this! Your much more intelligent than that! I also believe that Han will recover and do well, but it is not right now!

i never said it wasn't because he didn't have the lead.... i'm just saying that with a tied game in the 9th and the last time Hanny pitched was horrendous i wouldn't have given him the ball in that situation. i was scratching my head when the game came back from commercial and he was on the mound. i fully expected Bailey to come back out for the 9th or Taz. Hanny was the last person on my list to come out in that particular situation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Hanrahan was acquired for dirt, and so far has exhibited the most fatal flaw for a claser, namely control issues.

Still, this bullpen has plenty of depth and can trot someone else out to handle the "all important" role of closer. 

In fact, the Sox might have 2 or 3 fill the orle this year...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would expect Farrell to go with hanny the next save situation. If he does the same thing, the I think we see a switch.

I commend Farrell for putting him back out there. You cant let your closer sit too many games after a bad loss. Too much time to think. He has to get right back out there. I also commend him for having a very short leash on him and pulling him quickly.

To be honest, I was scratching my head at that move (putting Hanny in), but I understand why he did it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

i never said it wasn't because he didn't have the lead.... i'm just saying that with a tied game in the 9th and the last time Hanny pitched was horrendous i wouldn't have given him the ball in that situation. i was scratching my head when the game came back from commercial and he was on the mound. i fully expected Bailey to come back out for the 9th or Taz. Hanny was the last person on my list to come out in that particular situation.

I will give you, the closer should not be in without the lead (I am of the same thought process). I think The Manager was testing him and the manager did a great job!!! Right now this guy is not my number one, however, I think he will be later in the year. I will get attacked here by all those who say you have to stick with your closer no matter what (ya right when your getting blown away). I disagree when its going bad you protect a guy, give him a couple of chances then you have to sit him.  Great managing today!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Hanrahan was acquired for dirt, and so far has exhibited the most fatal flaw for a claser, namely control issues.

Still, this bullpen has plenty of depth and can trot someone else out to handle the "all important" role of closer. 

In fact, the Sox might have 2 or 3 fill the orle this year...

Agreed and the manager is not shy about doing that!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I would expect Farrell to go with hanny the next save situation. If he does the same thing, the I think we see a switch.

I commend Farrell for putting him back out there. You cant let your closer sit too many games after a bad loss. Too much time to think. He has to get right back out there. I also commend him for having a very short leash on him and pulling him quickly.

To be honest, I was scratching my head at that move (putting Hanny in), but I understand why he did it.

Right On Southpaw! He put him in to try to help him mentally! It failed but this manager saved the day! To the OPS credit he made a great point!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I will give you, the closer should not be in without the lead (I am of the same thought proceress). I think The Manager was testing him and the manager did a great job!!! Right now this guiy is not my number one, however, I think he will be later in the year. IO will get attacked here by all those who say you have to stick with your closer no matter what (ya right when your getting blown away). I disagree when its goinmg bad you protect a guy, give him a couple of chances then you have to sit him.  Great managing today!

even though i disagreed that he put him in the game. i am glad he had the short leash and pulled him before things got out of hand. Uehara continues to impress. i am fully confident to bring him in ANY situation and trust that he will come out unscathed

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

I will give you, the closer should not be in without the lead (I am of the same thought proceress). I think The Manager was testing him and the manager did a great job!!! Right now this guiy is not my number one, however, I think he will be later in the year. IO will get attacked here by all those who say you have to stick with your closer no matter what (ya right when your getting blown away). I disagree when its goinmg bad you protect a guy, give him a couple of chances then you have to sit him.  Great managing today!

even though i disagreed that he put him in the game. i am glad he had the short leash and pulled him before things got out of hand. Uehara continues to impress. i am fully confident to bring him in ANY situation and trust that he will come out unscathed

I think we are on the same page my friend!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Right On Southpaw! He put him in to try to help him mentally! It failed but this manager saved the day! To the OPS credit he made a great point!

Hey Promise!

I dont think Tito takes Hanny out like Farrell did in that situation. So to all those saying that Farrell is a Tito clone...Think again. I already respected Farrell, but do even more after today.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Joel Hanrahan - R - Red Sox

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Saturday that Joel Hanrahan will remain the team's closer.

Hanrahan blew a save Wednesday and was removed from Saturday's game after walking the only two batters he faced. But the Red Sox aren't ready to make a change quit yet. Andrew Bailey still warrants stashing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is S.O.P to use your closer in the ninth inning at home in a tie game. There can never be a save situation in the game. Anyway , Hanrahan should be taken out of the closer's role and be made to earn it back. We have three better candidates right now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Hey Promise!

I dont think Tito takes Hanny out like Farrell did in that situation. So to all those saying that Farrell is a Tito clone...Think again. I already respected Farrell, but do even more after today.

I'm with you. This was why I did not like Tito! im liking this staff big time and Han will be big this season. Im not quiting on him. He is going to be winner and he can thank farrell!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

It is S.O.P to use your closer in the ninth inning at home in a tie game. There can never be a save situation in the game. Anyway , Hanrahan should be taken out of the closer's role and be made to earn it back. We have three better candidates right now. 

Dgale, right now I agree with you. He got squeezed the other night. It happens but he should have had a save. He blew up after that. My concern is the long balls he gave up not the walks. Now I am afraid its in his head. He needs farrell's commitment and he gave him that today. Closers are very strange, with the exception of Mo I think it gets in their head quickly! Flaky dudes!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

farrell just got my permanent respect.. no way is tito ever doing that so early in the season! but thats called a message as i expect to see   bailey closing very soon. wild guys should not b closers.. period! this aint pittsburgh! no room for jabronis in elite roles! he learned well from 2011. u dont just keep running the same jabronis out there in the same way. called insanity. must try something new esp when the replacement has been getting the job done. very belichickian. bodes well for his future!

That's how ballgames are won; by not giving in to pitchers whims. Great decision by Farrell.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Can we just evaluate Farrell on what he did or didn't do w/o comparing him to Tito. Francona did a great job while here (2 W.S. titles, remember). Like all managers, he made some questionable moves or non-moves, just as Farrell will and just as all managers do.

Some fans will have it in their heads that Francona left a pitcher in too long, so that's all they remember. They won't remember the games when Francona did have a quick hook. They also don't remember the games when that patience paid off. In the 1,100-plus games that he managed here there are plenty of examples to suit any argument.

And many of the assumptions that I've seen fans make in regard to Francona are just blantantly wrong. At this point, no one is going to change anyone's mind regarding what Francona did one way or another. He's gone, so let's move on.

If Farrell makes a move or non-move, just express your opinion one way or another on the move in and of itself and not making comparisons that may or may not be true.

Sections
Shortcuts