FARRELL just got my PERMANENT respect upon yanking HANRAHAN!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Re: FARRELL just got my PERMANENT respect upon yanking HANRAHAN!

jhan is melting. things like this snowball in boston. he could be on a slippery slope. Its gonna be tough sledding the next few games.

(we got a few inches of snow up here in maine--thus the wintery refs:)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Great move by Farrell. I do not think we win the game if he does not make the move right there. He obviously anticipated it , as he had Uehara warming. In fairness to Tito , not too many managers would have been that aggressive. And we would have been hearing the nonsense about how you have to trust your closer, etc., etc. , etc. Great managing. Game ball to John Farrell. 

i don't think it was a great move.... it was a bad call to bring out Hanny with the game tied in the first place. he just saved face from being blasted for bringing out hanrahan to blow another game.

Like it or not Hanny is the closer on this team so when is he supposed to pitch? According to your logic, never.... it was in fact a great move to take him out, I just wish Farrell had done that against the Os but at least he didnt make the same mistake twice.....great move..end of story.

usually i'd go with a save situation..... that's just me though.

Closers frequently come in to pitch in tie games in extra innnings at home. On the road you nearly never see it. Its an accepted tactic. Farrell is the anti-Tito.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Great move by Farrell. I do not think we win the game if he does not make the move right there. He obviously anticipated it , as he had Uehara warming. In fairness to Tito , not too many managers would have been that aggressive. And we would have been hearing the nonsense about how you have to trust your closer, etc., etc. , etc. Great managing. Game ball to John Farrell. 

i don't think it was a great move.... it was a bad call to bring out Hanny with the game tied in the first place. he just saved face from being blasted for bringing out hanrahan to blow another game.

Like it or not Hanny is the closer on this team so when is he supposed to pitch? According to your logic, never.... it was in fact a great move to take him out, I just wish Farrell had done that against the Os but at least he didnt make the same mistake twice.....great move..end of story.

Closers frequently come in to pitch in tie games in extra innnings at home. On the road you nearly never see it. Its an accepted tactic. Farrell is the anti-Tito.

This is what I'm talking about. If you're saying that Francona never brought in Papelbon in a tie game in the ninth, that is so blatantly wrong. Francona did it a number of times and when he did and the game stayed tied, he often let Papelbon pitch another inning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Who says Hanny is the closer?  Who says anyone is the closer when you're 2 weeks into the season? 

Hanny started the season as the closer but at this point he's proven he can't do it.  Ok, that's fine.  We have someone else (Baily) who may be able to do it, and if he does Bailey will be the closer. 

I'd maybe give Hanny one more chance, depending on the situation and if he doesn't get it done... it's baseball.  Three strikes and you're out! 

After that I'd let him pitch the 8th and Bailey the 9th until either Hanny becomes dominant or Baily proves (more than once) that HE can't do the job.  But to say that Hanny is the closer and we're going to go with him, I ask... how long?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I would expect Farrell to go with hanny the next save situation. If he does the same thing, the I think we see a switch.

I commend Farrell for putting him back out there. You cant let your closer sit too many games after a bad loss. Too much time to think. He has to get right back out there. I also commend him for having a very short leash on him and pulling him quickly.

To be honest, I was scratching my head at that move (putting Hanny in), but I understand why he did it.

Right On Southpaw! He put him in to try to help him mentally! It failed but this manager saved the day! To the OPS credit he made a great point!

Hey Promise!

I dont think Tito takes Hanny out like Farrell did in that situation. So to all those saying that Farrell is a Tito clone...Think again. I already respected Farrell, but do even more after today.

I don't think so either.  Think Tito would have left him in.

Said it the other day too... I don't think Hanrahan is going to be able to handle Fenway as a closer.  He's too wild.  That was his problem in Pittsburgh too.  You don't want a closer who walks batters every time he's out there.   He keeps doing that and the fans are going to make sure he hears it.   But on a positive note, how about Lester?  Our top two are making us proud.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

This is what I'm talking about. If you're saying that Francona never brought in Papelbon in a tie game in the ninth, that is so blatantly wrong. Francona did it a number of times and when he did and the game stayed tied, he often let Papelbon pitch another inning.

Thats NOT what I am saying at all. Reread my post: bringing in the closer in a tie extra inning game at home is a tactic many managers, including the witless wonder, did. What I am saying is that Francoma was so slow to pull the trigger on removing a struggling pitcher that he never would have taken Hanrahan out of today's game. Francoma was as stubborn as he was dumb; he never learned from his mistakes. Its refreshing to see a manager who values winning more than the feeeeeeelings of a player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Thats NOT what I am saying at all. Reread my post: bringing in the closer in a tie extra inning game at home is a tactic many managers, including the witless wonder, did. What I am saying is that Francoma was so slow to pull the trigger on removing a struggling pitcher that he never would have taken Hanrahan out of today's game. Francoma was as stubborn as he was dumb; he never learned from his mistakes. Its refreshing to see a manager who values winning more than the feeeeeeelings of a player.

This post is so ridiculously stupid that I'll just let you rant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

And there you go. You lose once you start with the personal insults rather than discuss the subject. Its absurd that you think YOU should set the rules here (no comparisons to Tito allowed). Arrogant. The fact is that Farrell actually MANAGED the game instead of hanging out by the spittoon. Francoma never learned when to remove a pitcher during his entire tenure here. Guess you and Tito have something in common: stupidity.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

And there you go. You lose once you start with the personal insults rather than discuss the subject. Its absurd that you think YOU should set the rules here (no comparisons to Tito allowed). Arrogant. The fact is that Farrell actually MANAGED the game instead of hanging out by the spittoon. Francoma never learned when to remove a pitcher during his entire tenure here. Guess you and Tito have something in common: stupidity.

You just made Roy's case for him.  You should have pleaded the fifth.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

You just made Roy's case for him.  You should have pleaded the fifth.  

ROY doesn't have a case to make. The fact is that Tito never learned when to remove a pitcher, preferring instead to bury his head in the spittoon. Farrell is off to to a great start. The Tito apologists here are coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches to defend their hero, no matter how bad he was at his job. Guess you can join the swarm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What personal insult? I didn't call you names as you did here in two instances. I said that specific post was stupid. There is a difference. Beyond that, do you really expect me to take your opinion about Francona serious when you reduce yourself to childish name-calling (of Francona) that makes you come across as a 12-year-old and compound that with obvious exaggerations? Are you serious? And if you don't believe you were eggerating then you truly are dillusional.

You're not interested in a serious discussion on Francona's managerial ability. You just want to spew hatred of the man w/o regard to reality so like I posted -- I just let you rant, which is all you want to do concerning Tito.

What did Farrell do  that Francona wouldn't have done? He pulled his starter after 7 IP, 100 pitches. He pitched his eight-inning guy one inning. He put his closer in the ninth of a tie game and pulled him after two walks when he couldn't throw a strike. If you actually believe that Francona or any manager wouldn't have done the same in that situation, then wow -- you truly are blinded by an irrational hatred. (Sad really.) Farrell did a good job today, but he hardly set some new managerial standard. The Sox won, so he looked good.

As for my post about comparing managers. Wow -- are you that insecure that when someone is expressing their opinion that you think they're setting rules. Freakin' incredible.

And seriously? You think that expressing one's opnion is being arrogant. For someone with nearly 8,600 posts, that an amazing attitude. Well, I guess you're as arrogant as I am since we have nearly the same number of posts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

What personal insult? I didn't call you names as you did here in two instances. I said that specific post was stupid. There is a difference. Beyond that, do you really expect me to take your opinion about Francona serious when you reduce yourself to childish name-calling (of Francona) that makes you come across as a 12-year-old and compound that with obvious exaggerations? Are you serious? And if you don't believe you were eggerating then you truly are dillusional.

You're not interested in a serious discussion on Francona's managerial ability. You just want to spew hatred of the man w/o regard to reality so like I posted -- I just let you rant, which is all you want to do concerning Tito.

What did Farrell do  that Francona wouldn't have done? He pulled his starter after 7 IP, 100 pitches. He pitched his eight-inning guy one inning. He put his closer in the ninth of a tie game and pulled him after two walks when he couldn't throw a strike. If you actually believe that Francona or any manager wouldn't have done the same in that situation, then wow -- you truly are blinded by an irrational hatred. (Sad really.) Farrell did a good job today, but he hardly set some new managerial standard. The Sox won, so he looked good.

As for my post about comparing managers. Wow -- are you that insecure that when someone is expressing their opinion that you think they're setting rules. Freakin' incredible.

And seriously? You think that expressing one's opnion is being arrogant. For someone with nearly 8,600 posts, that an amazing attitude. Well, I guess you're as arrogant as I am since we have nearly the same number of posts.

When you are engaged in a legitimate discussion and call a post "stupid" instead of discussing it based on its merits I call that personal. Sorry you disagree. As regards the nicknames, too bad if you don't like them. I could not care less. These are public personalities and are subject to being booed or given nicknames to suit their performance. Most public personalities understand that they are targets for both criticism and applause. You need to understand that. What did Farrell do that Tito would not have done? Obviously you have not been paying attention. He removed a struggling closer in a timely manner. Thats not Francomas style; he left his pitchers in the game past all understanding. He was a very mediocre manager, lacking in creativity and tactical understanding. I am complimenting Farrell as much as criticizing Francoma here, and its not up to YOU or anyone else to post that I or anyone else should stop comparing the two. Last I checked you are NOT the moderator here and therefore do not make the rules.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When you are engaged in a legitimate discussion and call a post "stupid" instead of discussing it based on its merits I call that personal. Sorry you disagree. As regards the nicknames, too bad if you don't like them. I could not care less. These are public personalities and are subject to being booed or given nicknames to suit their performance. Most public personalities understand that they are targets for both criticism and applause. You need to understand that. What did Farrell do that Tito would not have done? Obviously you have not been paying attention. He removed a struggling closer in a timely manner. Thats not Francomas style; he left his pitchers in the game past all understanding. He was a very mediocre manager, lacking in creativity and tactical understanding. I am complimenting Farrell as much as criticizing Francoma here, and its not up to YOU or anyone else to post that I or anyone else should stop comparing the two. Last I checked you are NOT the moderator here and therefore do not make the rules.

Legitimate discussion?

You use phrases like "witless wonder" and "Francoma" and characterize his managerial technique as sitting their spitting into a spittoon. I'm sorry, but that tells the rest of us that you're not interested in a legitimate discussion.

Yes, I called that specific post stupid. As I recall -- and maybe my memory is faulty -- you've had posts that I've agreed with and even if I disagreed with some others, you posted in an intelligent manner. So I'm not going to post with a broad brush like you did. You didn't like my posts and called me arrogant and stupid. I thought one specific post was idiotic, so I called that specific post stupid. That you can't see the difference tells all of us a lot about you and illustrates you quick you are to jump to extremes. People quick to jump to extremes usually aren't interested in legitimate discussion.

And that inferred that I was calling you stupid -- well, I didn't realize you were so thin-skinned.

Most public personalities understand that they are targets for both criticism and applause.

Well no chit Sherlock. And I was letting you rant on about Tito anyway you want. What's so hard to understand. But if another person is ranting on in a childish, immature fashion, I DON'T HAVE to engage in a discussion with that person.

Beyond the rest of your post on Francona -- like I posted before. You already have your mind locked into your own reality, so I'm not going to get any more involved in a useless back-and-forth concerning what Francona did or didn't do as manager.

Last I checked you are NOT the moderator here and therefore do not make the rules.

Seriously -- again with "the rules. Geez guy -- get help. I was just expressing my OPINION that it's a useless excercise. If you don't agree -- FINE. Do whatever the heck you like. But really -- are you that insecure that when someone expresses an opinion like that you're interpretting it as a rule.

Geez, maybe I am arrogant, but I'm not so dillusional to think that I can magically create some rule simply because I'm posting an opinion on a subject.

But thank you if you think I do have that power. I mean, why else would you keep bringing it up that I'm creating some rule that you HAVE to follow.

So on that note:

I hearbye allow pumpsie or anyother poster engage in any useless comparison until their heart's content.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I can understand those who are happy that Farrell took Hanrahan out of the game so quickly.  The decision resulted in getting out of the inning with no runs scored, and the Sox won the game.  I'm happy too.

But, I also would have been perfectly fine if Farrell had decided to keep Hanrahan in, and told him that it was his game to win or lose.  We are two weeks into the season.  We are not in a playoff game nor in a do or die game at the end of the season when that type of decision has to be made.

Sometimes it's more important to let your players work through their struggles early in the season so that they will be more effective for the long haul.  Maybe if Farrell had let Hanrahan stay in the game, and Hanrahan retired the next 3 batters easily, that's the vote of confidence from Farrell and from himself that he needs to dominate the rest of the season.  Who knows?  Sprint versus marathon.

Sure, we have other relievers who could step into the closer's role.  But if Hanrahan can be a dominant closer, the BP is that much deeper.

Farrell and Francona know what makes their players tick better than any of us do.  Whether a decision works or not, I try to understand their rationale behind the decision.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

farrell just got my permanent respect.. no way is tito ever doing that so early in the season! but thats called a message as i expect to see   bailey closing very soon. wild guys should not b closers.. period! this aint pittsburgh! no room for jabronis in elite roles! he learned well from 2011. u dont just keep running the same jabronis out there in the same way. called insanity. must try something new esp when the replacement has been getting the job done. very belichickian. bodes well for his future!

YES, I completely agree we would have lost the game in my opinion if he didn't.  We also need to find some sort of offense on this team.  Price is a good pitcher but it's also a good thing Lester was and has been pitching well because our team still lacks run production.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Anybody remember Don Stanhouse with Baltimore back in the late 1970s ? We should call Joel Hanrahan "Full Pack" because when you watch him close out games, you are reaching for a pack of cigarettes because of the stress he causes in the game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Certainly was the right move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Good move indeed. I don't think Tito would have made it either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

farrell just got my permanent respect.. no way is tito ever doing that so early in the season! but thats called a message as i expect to see   bailey closing very soon. wild guys should not b closers.. period! this aint pittsburgh! no room for jabronis in elite roles! he learned well from 2011. u dont just keep running the same jabronis out there in the same way. called insanity. must try something new esp when the replacement has been getting the job done. very belichickian. bodes well for his future!

But what would Bobby V have done?  I'm guessing he leaves Hanrahan in, lets him lose the game,  and then questions his commitment in a press conference.

Han probably has a minor injury, thought he could pitch thru it (didn't want to be called fragile).

great game for the sox pitching staff.  Offense is non existent.  Thank the Rays for handing the game to Boston.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

For how much longer? Bailey is nasty. Hanrahan is scared.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts