FARRELL just got my PERMANENT respect upon yanking HANRAHAN!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: FARRELL just got my PERMANENT respect upon yanking HANRAHAN!

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Great move by Farrell. I do not think we win the game if he does not make the move right there. He obviously anticipated it , as he had Uehara warming. In fairness to Tito , not too many managers would have been that aggressive. And we would have been hearing the nonsense about how you have to trust your closer, etc., etc. , etc. Great managing. Game ball to John Farrell. 

Agreed. No way they win if the hook doesnt come out.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Great move by Farrell. I do not think we win the game if he does not make the move right there. He obviously anticipated it , as he had Uehara warming. In fairness to Tito , not too many managers would have been that aggressive. And we would have been hearing the nonsense about how you have to trust your closer, etc., etc. , etc. Great managing. Game ball to John Farrell. 

i don't think it was a great move.... it was a bad call to bring out Hanny with the game tied in the first place. he just saved face from being blasted for bringing out hanrahan to blow another game.

Like it or not Hanny is the closer on this team so when is he supposed to pitch? According to your logic, never.... it was in fact a great move to take him out, I just wish Farrell had done that against the Os but at least he didnt make the same mistake twice.....great move..end of story.

usually i'd go with a save situation..... that's just me though.

Closers frequently come in to pitch in tie games in extra innnings at home. On the road you nearly never see it. Its an accepted tactic. Farrell is the anti-Tito.

This is what I'm talking about. If you're saying that Francona never brought in Papelbon in a tie game in the ninth, that is so blatantly wrong. Francona did it a number of times and when he did and the game stayed tied, he often let Papelbon pitch another inning.

Thats NOT what I am saying at all. Reread my post: bringing in the closer in a tie extra inning game at home is a tactic many managers, including the witless wonder, did. What I am saying is that Francoma was so slow to pull the trigger on removing a struggling pitcher that he never would have taken Hanrahan out of today's game. Francoma was as stubborn as he was dumb; he never learned from his mistakes. Its refreshing to see a manager who values winning more than the feeeeeeelings of a player.

This post is so ridiculously stupid that I'll just let you rant.

And there you go. You lose once you start with the personal insults rather than discuss the subject. Its absurd that you think YOU should set the rules here (no comparisons to Tito allowed). Arrogant. The fact is that Farrell actually MANAGED the game instead of hanging out by the spittoon. Francoma never learned when to remove a pitcher during his entire tenure here. Guess you and Tito have something in common: stupidity.

You just made Roy's case for him.  You should have pleaded the fifth.  

how do you figure?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I can understand those who are happy that Farrell took Hanrahan out of the game so quickly.  The decision resulted in getting out of the inning with no runs scored, and the Sox won the game.  I'm happy too.

But, I also would have been perfectly fine if Farrell had decided to keep Hanrahan in, and told him that it was his game to win or lose.  We are two weeks into the season.  We are not in a playoff game nor in a do or die game at the end of the season when that type of decision has to be made.

Sometimes it's more important to let your players work through their struggles early in the season so that they will be more effective for the long haul.  Maybe if Farrell had let Hanrahan stay in the game, and Hanrahan retired the next 3 batters easily, that's the vote of confidence from Farrell and from himself that he needs to dominate the rest of the season.  Who knows?  Sprint versus marathon.

Sure, we have other relievers who could step into the closer's role.  But if Hanrahan can be a dominant closer, the BP is that much deeper.

Farrell and Francona know what makes their players tick better than any of us do.  Whether a decision works or not, I try to understand their rationale behind the decision.

Kimmi he did that the other night and lost. no Offense but your comments are arbsurd! You say its okay to lose two games in a row because a pitcher cannot find the plate?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

farrell just got my permanent respect.. no way is tito ever doing that so early in the season! but thats called a message as i expect to see   bailey closing very soon. wild guys should not b closers.. period! this aint pittsburgh! no room for jabronis in elite roles! he learned well from 2011. u dont just keep running the same jabronis out there in the same way. called insanity. must try something new esp when the replacement has been getting the job done. very belichickian. bodes well for his future!

I agree I give Farrell big props for yanking at that point, it was the right call and he got the desired result to back it up. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Hanrahan never should have been brought in, in the first place. He's done here. You can see it in his eyes. He can't deal with the pressure. 

If he would accept an assignment to the minors maybe he could get regular work and iron out his control issues, but he has always had trouble throwing strikes and this is not the NL. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Hanrahan never should have been brought in, in the first place. He's done here. You can see it in his eyes. He can't deal with the pressure. 

If he would accept an assignment to the minors maybe he could get regular work and iron out his control issues, but he has always had trouble throwing strikes and this is not the NL. 

I fail to see what the NL has to do with a closer... it's not like an NL closer EVER faces a pitcher..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

I can understand those who are happy that Farrell took Hanrahan out of the game so quickly.  The decision resulted in getting out of the inning with no runs scored, and the Sox won the game.  I'm happy too.

But, I also would have been perfectly fine if Farrell had decided to keep Hanrahan in, and told him that it was his game to win or lose.  We are two weeks into the season.  We are not in a playoff game nor in a do or die game at the end of the season when that type of decision has to be made.

Sometimes it's more important to let your players work through their struggles early in the season so that they will be more effective for the long haul.  Maybe if Farrell had let Hanrahan stay in the game, and Hanrahan retired the next 3 batters easily, that's the vote of confidence from Farrell and from himself that he needs to dominate the rest of the season.  Who knows?  Sprint versus marathon.

Sure, we have other relievers who could step into the closer's role.  But if Hanrahan can be a dominant closer, the BP is that much deeper.

Farrell and Francona know what makes their players tick better than any of us do.  Whether a decision works or not, I try to understand their rationale behind the decision.

Kimmi he did that the other night and lost. no Offense but your comments are arbsurd! You say its okay to lose two games in a row because a pitcher cannot find the plate?

Absurd is harsh. Just a different opinion Promise. I don't happen to agree with her either. Despite his defense by some here, Francoma was a TERRIBLE field manager. Its a glaring weakness on his part. Farrell IMO absolutely did the right thing by removing Hanrahan today. Maybe it will light a fire under him. For sure it saved the game today. This is not a dominating team that can afford to lose games to save a player's feeeeelings. I could not care less about them; I care about wins and losses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Legitimate discussion?

You use phrases like "witless wonder" and "Francoma" and characterize his managerial technique as sitting their spitting into a spittoon. I'm sorry, but that tells the rest of us that you're not interested in a legitimate discussion.

Again, its too bad if you don't like the nicknames. I would only be too happy to engage in a debate about FRANCOMA'S weaknesses...and strengths..as a manager. Overall he gets a C from me.

Yes, I called that specific post stupid. As I recall -- and maybe my memory is faulty -- you've had posts that I've agreed with and even if I disagreed with some others, you posted in an intelligent manner. So I'm not going to post with a broad brush like you did. You didn't like my posts and called me arrogant and stupid. I thought one specific post was idiotic, so I called that specific post stupid. That you can't see the difference tells all of us a lot about you and illustrates you quick you are to jump to extremes. People quick to jump to extremes usually aren't interested in legitimate discussion.

And that inferred that I was calling you stupid -- well, I didn't realize you were so thin-skinned.

Most public personalities understand that they are targets for both criticism and applause.

Well no chit Sherlock. And I was letting you rant on about Tito anyway you want. What's so hard to understand. But if another person is ranting on in a childish, immature fashion, I DON'T HAVE to engage in a discussion with that person.

You do not like debating the merits of FRANCOMA because you are a FRANCOMA apologist. He was highly overrated and most mediocre. Do you honestly think he would have had the cajones to remove Hanrahan today? That saved a chance to win the game for us. I will give Francoma this: he placated his players very well. Too well. But he was a TERRIBLE in game tactician and stubborn as hell. Fortunately, he is gone.

Beyond the rest of your post on Francona -- like I posted before. You already have your mind locked into your own reality, so I'm not going to get any more involved in a useless back-and-forth concerning what Francona did or didn't do as manager.

Last I checked you are NOT the moderator here and therefore do not make the rules.

Seriously -- again with "the rules. Geez guy -- get help. I was just expressing my OPINION that it's a useless excercise. If you don't agree -- FINE. Do whatever the heck you like. But really -- are you that insecure that when someone expresses an opinion like that you're interpretting it as a rule.

It was phrased as a "should", referring to how you view good behavior on the part of other posters. Thats arrogant.

Geez, maybe I am arrogant, but I'm not so dillusional to think that I can magically create some rule simply because I'm posting an opinion on a subject.

But thank you if you think I do have that power. I mean, why else would you keep bringing it up that I'm creating some rule that you HAVE to follow.

So on that note:

I hearbye allow pumpsie or anyother poster engage in any useless comparison until their heart's content.

How kind of you to allow us to make "useless" comparisons. More arrogance. You are in no position to determine what is useful or not useful here. Sorry to rain on your arrogant parade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Not saying Hanrahan is a bum.  Could be pressure.  Could be a physical problem.  You can't keep sending him out there and jeopardizing the game just because you signed him.  He lacks confidence and control - thats not a closer.  Don't know how he looked in ST, but if his current performance is a change from ST, then pitching staff and medical staff need to be all over him helping to figure it out.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I gotta agree with roy, Pumpsie.  There's no way to have a legitimate discussion about Francona with you.  You call him the 'witless wonder' 'Francoma' and various other insults, and anybody who disagrees with you is an 'apologist'.  It's actually quite comical that you think this can be called a legitimate discussion.  It's not a discussion at all.  It's a harangue by you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

No, I'm saying that in a 162 game season, you don't win today's game at any cost while possibly jeopardizing wins in several future games.  Sometimes it better for the long term to let a player work through his issues.  It depends on the player and the circumstances.

I'm not saying that pulling Hanrahan was the wrong decision.  I am really glad that we won yesterday's game, and Farrell knows what's going on with Hanrahan better than we do.  So I'm not about to say that Farrell was wrong in pulling him.

However, if Farrell had left Hanrahan in the game, win or lose, I would have fully understood that decision as well.  A decision is not always as simple or as cut and dry as it might seem.  Some decisions have season long ramifications.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

anyone bringing up Tito is absurd.

I disagree. I think it is a fair comparison. I am one of those who was glad to see that Farrell gave Hanrahan a quick hook. I disagree with Kimmi's statement that Hanrahan should have been told it was "his game to win or lose". It is not Hanrahan's game. It is the Sox game. Baseball is a team sport and should be played with a team mentality..not a mentality where it is about individual achievment over team achievment.

The Francona comparison is a fair one. I have always been a great fan of Tito..but it drove me crazy the way he would leave a pitcher in..at the expense of the win..to let him try to "work it out". That's not fair to the team. Valentine did the same thing. I like the quick hook. You have to remember Farrell was a pitching coach. I am sure it is easy for him to spot when a pitcher just doesn't have it on any given night.

Also..while I agree it's early in the season...I am enough of a jaded sports fan to know that sometimes at the end of the season..these early games take on a whole new importance. It's always better to get the Win in every game.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Great move by Farrell.  We have to many Closers in the Bullpen to be playing the Hanaran game . As for Francona, He won us 2 WORLD SERIES so stop with the IGNORANCE 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RickEO's comment:

Great move by Farrell.  We have to many Closers in the Bullpen to be playing the Hanaran game . As for Francona, He won us 2 WORLD SERIES so stop with the IGNORANCE 

Haven't you heard?

Francona was just lucky....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Legitimate discussion?

You use phrases like "witless wonder" and "Francoma" and characterize his managerial technique as sitting their spitting into a spittoon. I'm sorry, but that tells the rest of us that you're not interested in a legitimate discussion.

Again, its too bad if you don't like the nicknames. I would only be too happy to engage in a debate about FRANCOMA'S weaknesses...and strengths..as a manager. Overall he gets a C from me.

Yes, I called that specific post stupid. As I recall -- and maybe my memory is faulty -- you've had posts that I've agreed with and even if I disagreed with some others, you posted in an intelligent manner. So I'm not going to post with a broad brush like you did. You didn't like my posts and called me arrogant and stupid. I thought one specific post was idiotic, so I called that specific post stupid. That you can't see the difference tells all of us a lot about you and illustrates you quick you are to jump to extremes. People quick to jump to extremes usually aren't interested in legitimate discussion.

And that inferred that I was calling you stupid -- well, I didn't realize you were so thin-skinned.

Most public personalities understand that they are targets for both criticism and applause.

Well no chit Sherlock. And I was letting you rant on about Tito anyway you want. What's so hard to understand. But if another person is ranting on in a childish, immature fashion, I DON'T HAVE to engage in a discussion with that person.

You do not like debating the merits of FRANCOMA because you are a FRANCOMA apologist. He was highly overrated and most mediocre. Do you honestly think he would have had the cajones to remove Hanrahan today? That saved a chance to win the game for us. I will give Francoma this: he placated his players very well. Too well. But he was a TERRIBLE in game tactician and stubborn as hell. Fortunately, he is gone.

Beyond the rest of your post on Francona -- like I posted before. You already have your mind locked into your own reality, so I'm not going to get any more involved in a useless back-and-forth concerning what Francona did or didn't do as manager.

Last I checked you are NOT the moderator here and therefore do not make the rules.

Seriously -- again with "the rules. Geez guy -- get help. I was just expressing my OPINION that it's a useless excercise. If you don't agree -- FINE. Do whatever the heck you like. But really -- are you that insecure that when someone expresses an opinion like that you're interpretting it as a rule.

It was phrased as a "should", referring to how you view good behavior on the part of other posters. Thats arrogant.

Geez, maybe I am arrogant, but I'm not so dillusional to think that I can magically create some rule simply because I'm posting an opinion on a subject.

But thank you if you think I do have that power. I mean, why else would you keep bringing it up that I'm creating some rule that you HAVE to follow.

So on that note:

I hearbye allow pumpsie or anyother poster engage in any useless comparison until their heart's content.

How kind of you to allow us to make "useless" comparisons. More arrogance. You are in no position to determine what is useful or not useful here. Sorry to rain on your arrogant parade.

Again -- I apologize for expressing an opinion that made you feel so inferior that you felt I demanding posters follow my "rules." Email me your address and I'll send you a Teddy Bear so that you can hug you feel so overwhelmed by something I post.

Truly, I never thought it would be so devestating for you. See -- I'm really not that arrogant. In no way did I think expressing a view that everything that either side has to say about Francona has already been posted thousands of time that it's now a useless excercise would be inferred by you as some grand pronouncement that must be followed.

Next time I express an opinion like that I'll add a footnote that says "pumpsie does not have to agree with this opinion" so you your poor little feelings won't be hurt.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Also..while I agree it's early in the season...I am enough of a jaded sports fan to know that sometimes at the end of the season..these early games take on a whole new importance. It's always better to get the Win in every game.

Of course every game matters.  But is it better to win today's game and lose 3 in the future because of today's decision or lose today's game and win 3 in the future?

Obviously none of the outcomes are guaranteed based on any decision a manager makes, but the point is, a manager's decision this early in the season cannot be based solely on today's game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

No, I'm saying that in a 162 game season, you don't win today's game at any cost while possibly jeopardizing wins in several future games.  Sometimes it better for the long term to let a player work through his issues.  It depends on the player and the circumstances.

I'm not saying that pulling Hanrahan was the wrong decision.  I am really glad that we won yesterday's game, and Farrell knows what's going on with Hanrahan better than we do.  So I'm not about to say that Farrell was wrong in pulling him.

However, if Farrell had left Hanrahan in the game, win or lose, I would have fully understood that decision as well.  A decision is not always as simple or as cut and dry as it might seem.  Some decisions have season long ramifications.

I understand your point. I have always had a problem with leaving a guy in a game when he is going bad. I think Farrell handled this perfectly. By having him pitch he showed faith in him. By pulling him he was trying to win a game and have still had faith in his closer. I Think Han is going to be fine. Right now he does not have it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Decisions like this are not easy, even though they may look that way to the fans at home.  In this case the decision to hook Hanrahan made perfect sense, especially when you've got a guy like Uehara, who's been fantastic, ready to go.

It's just not an automatic thing to hook a closer who puts the first two guys on.  Papelbon had many 'heart attack' saves when he put more than one guy on base and still got the job done.  Even the great Rivera has had some heart attack saves.

This wasn't a save situation and it's also well known that closers generally struggle more in non-save situations.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

farrell just got my permanent respect.. no way is tito ever doing that so early in the season! but thats called a message as i expect to see   bailey closing very soon. wild guys should not b closers.. period! this aint pittsburgh! no room for jabronis in elite roles! he learned well from 2011. u dont just keep running the same jabronis out there in the same way. called insanity. must try something new esp when the replacement has been getting the job done. very belichickian. bodes well for his future!

i agree and it was a move that only a confident coach makes

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I feel very good about Farrell right now. When he's out there I don't automatically feel that we're fighting against being out-managed as well as being out-played.

And: I'm really tired about hearing how Tito won two WS for us. I'm convinced that we could have put a mannequin in his spot and done nearly as well. His unwillingness to pull pitchers was absolutely unnerving.

Sections
Shortcuts