Farrell just lost another game for us

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: Farrell just lost another game for us

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Walking Berkman to face Beltre was questionable.  Batting Salty for Ciriaco made no sense at all.  Using Mortensen in the ninth was logical. You want to keep Hanrahan for a possible save situation.   Anyway , I had the sense that the Sox were not going to score again , even if it went twenty innings. Their offense was pitiful throughout this series.

Agree totally on the pitching.  Agree walking Berkman was questionable; maybe you try to pitch around him and get him to hit a bad pitch.  He got away with the IBB to pitch to Beltre once, doing it twice was iffy.

Hitting Salty for Ciriaco did make some sense.  Per the Sox announcers, Salty was 3-7 off Nathan in his career.  It didn't work out, but at least there was some logic to it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

double post...see next

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

i defended JF yesterday in this thread but I do believe yesterday's loss was on him....Lester was losing gas and accuracy and yet he left him in to start the inning and kept him there until they tied is....is Hanrahan crippled? why is he not out there facing the best team in MLB?  Morteson? deciding to pitch to Beltre?

yea this is on the manager...with a little bit of proactive pitching and hitting moves, we couldve won this game...shades of francona...a day late and a dollar short w/all the moves

Bailey is injured and Tazawa and Uehara are getting burned out...what was your pitching plan from the 6th inning on?

maybe you should read what other posters have to say - REDSOXPRIDE....

putting mortenson in the 9th inning was a dumb move and ultimately cost us the game. hanrahan should have been brought in to pitch the 9th, if it goes to extras, then use mortenson. not complicated. 

btw, the one guy who is rested - hanrahan - is the one guy you dont pitch? they put clay the salami in at the bottom of the 9th in a tie game? dumb...you have to get to extra innings first before you worry about the save situation...as far as pitching to Beltre - that was a real rocket science move, wasnt it?

I have been very kind to our new manager and like him a lot - but yesterday was his worst managerial moment by far....and if you cant admit that, then you you are either dishonest, blind, or have an agenda...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

i defended JF yesterday in this thread but I do believe yesterday's loss was on him....Lester was losing gas and accuracy and yet he left him in to start the inning and kept him there until they tied is....is Hanrahan crippled? why is he not out there facing the best team in MLB?  Morteson? deciding to pitch to Beltre?

yea this is on the manager...with a little bit of proactive pitching and hitting moves, we couldve won this game...shades of francona...a day late and a dollar short w/all the moves

Bailey is injured and Tazawa and Uehara are getting burned out...what was your pitching plan from the 6th inning on?

maybe you should read what other posters have to say - REDSOXPRIDE....

putting mortenson in the 9th inning was a dumb move and ultimately cost us the game. hanrahan should have been brought in to pitch the 9th, if it goes to extras, then use mortenson. not complicated. 

btw, the one guy who is rested - hanrahan - is the one guy you dont pitch? they put clay the salami in at the bottom of the 9th in a tie game? dumb...you have to get to extra innings first before you worry about the save situation...as far as pitching to Beltre - that was a real rocket science move, wasnt it?

I have been very kind to our new manager and like him a lot - but yesterday was his worst managerial moment by far....and if you cant admit that, then you you are either dishonest, blind, or have an agenda...

My only question in the game was not pitching Hanny in the 9th. I realize the pen was short, but Mort could come in the 10 if needed. If Hanny was in there is no IBB to Puma.

I havent heard JF's reasoning for it yet, so Ill wait til I hear that or read something.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

FYI, they did pitch to Berkman.  In fact, the first pitch was in the strike zone, but was called a ball.  Then came the WP,  plus Berkman batting lefty against righty Mortensen, so at that point it absolutely made sense to give Berkman the IBB, even with Beltre coming to bat.  As it was, he went opposite field on a slider with 1-2 count--Mortensen just made it too tempting. 

Anyone who says using Mortensen cost us the game knows nothing about baseball because it assumes that, had Mortensen held serve in the 9th, the Sox were going to score a run before Texas did, which was not at all likely.  Far more likely was what happened in the 9th--the Rangers scratched out a run from weak single and a good single and a WP.  Plus, as someone else pointed out, to win the Sox needed to hold in the 9th, score in the 10th and hold in the 10th.  With the way the Sox had been playing/scoring/pitching, that would have been a daunting task. 

In the Texas series, FWIW, the Sox were 1 for 16 with RISP.  In all likelihood, their best shot at winning was for Lester not to give up that 2-run dinger. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

FYI, they did pitch to Berkman.  In fact, the first pitch was in the strike zone, but was called a ball.  Then came the WP,  plus Berkman batting lefty against righty Mortensen, so at that point it absolutely made sense to give Berkman the IBB, even with Beltre coming to bat.  As it was, he went opposite field on a slider with 1-2 count--Mortensen just made it too tempting. 

Anyone who says using Mortensen cost us the game knows nothing about baseball because it assumes that, had Mortensen held serve in the 9th, the Sox were going to score a run before Texas did, which was not at all likely.  Far more likely was what happened in the 9th--the Rangers scratched out a run from weak single and a good single and a WP.  Plus, as someone else pointed out, to win the Sox needed to hold in the 9th, score in the 10th and hold in the 10th.  With the way the Sox had been playing/scoring/pitching, that would have been a daunting task. 

In the Texas series, FWIW, the Sox were 1 for 16 with RISP.  In all likelihood, their best shot at winning was for Lester not to give up that 2-run dinger. 

which is exactly the reason why JF needed to replace him that inning...thank you!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

georom, that is just baloney and you know it.   When you're playing a bunch of games in a row without a break--as the Sox are--you gotta get more out of your starter than 5 innings.  Besides, Lester had two outs with just a man on 1B when the dinger got hit.  If anyone, I fault Ross for calling for the same exact pitch twice in a row, only the second one was down in the strike zone, but above the middle, and was smashed.  Lester should have gotten thru the 6th with ease.  In fact, if had kept throwing lots of strikes like he did in the first two innings, he could have gone 7 or 8 innings.  Lester likes to nibble on the corners and doesn't have much variety and especially doesn't like to throw his changeup, which is not bad and would definitely help.  A changeup instead of that highish fastball would have been a strikeout instead of a 2 run dinger.

Now it could be that Farrell called for the fatal pitch.  If he did, I will join you in blaming him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

georom, that is just baloney and you know it.   When you're playing a bunch of games in a row without a break--as the Sox are--you gotta get more out of your starter than 5 innings.  Besides, Lester had two outs with just a man on 1B when the dinger got hit.  If anyone, I fault Ross for calling for the same exact pitch twice in a row, only the second one was down in the strike zone, but above the middle, and was smashed.  Lester should have gotten thru the 6th with ease.  In fact, if had kept throwing lots of strikes like he did in the first two innings, he could have gone 7 or 8 innings.  Lester likes to nibble on the corners and doesn't have much variety and especially doesn't like to throw his changeup, which is not bad and would definitely help.  A changeup instead of that highish fastball would have been a strikeout instead of a 2 run dinger.

Now it could be that Farrell called for the fatal pitch.  If he did, I will join you in blaming him. 

he was losing steam, accuracy, and laboring...they were lucky to be ahead and were in danger of being swept....he needed to be replaced by Morteson in the 6th, the japanese hurlers in 7-8th and hanrahan in the ninth.....you make it sound JF he was running a marathon uphill....he just choked and became to passive - hoping for the best...like i said very tito like

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

who is the humping dog responding to? he is on ignore for stale one-liners...something the real Conan himself would not tolerated

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

It is rare that a road team brings their closer in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game. If it was a home game he probably would have pitched the top of the inning, but no manager uses his closer in a tie game in that situation.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

he was losing steam, accuracy, and laboring...

How so?  The 5th was a 3-2 walk, a FO, Strikeout, single, strikeout.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

btw, the one guy who is rested - hanrahan - is the one guy you dont pitch?

Pssst-Hanraha is our closer with Bailey out.  That usually means you wait until you have the lead, or until you run out of BP options.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to teddybaseball009's comment:

How many times must I tell him to pitch hit for dirt bag salty. For Christ's sake why do you have Carp. We would have been leading 4-3. Neither dirt bag or middle100ba or drew should ever hit for themselves when the game is on the line. It is plain stupid. Of course, none of them should be playing. Has salty had a meaningful hit this year?

Nice call.  Carp is 0-13 since you jumped on the bandwagon.  Could you please be so kind as to jinx someone else?

Warmest Regards,

Red Sox Management