Farrell Last Night and Idiotic Criticism

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Farrell Last Night and Idiotic Criticism

Farrell was getting slammed by someone on the game thread for yanking Webster when he did. Farrell gets slammed for his lineups, his use of the rookies, his overuse of the veterans, etc....

Yet, last night, he brings in the lefty and Layne gets the out on hard hitting Calhoun

He had Mujica warming up and then it was Tazawa who came in the 8th because maybe he knows Mujica is still not a better option than Junior, who granted has slipped this year. He brought in Bradley in the 8th to take Nava's spot as Holt went to RF and of course JBJr makes 1 nice running catch and a game-saving catch for Uehara in the 9th....

So, how bout people get off the guy's case. The team is 15 games under .500 because of collective player failures on offense, the lack of a real solution to both Ellsbury/Salty at the start of the season. As far as the pitching staff goes, I think he's been 5,000x better than Tito in terms of when to pull someone or when to go to someone. He is a good manager, and I'm glad he is Sox manager. 

And Napoli homers so why do we play him now? Well, because he still hits for power on a powerless team...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phenix26. Show phenix26's posts

Re: Farrell Last Night and Idiotic Criticism

In response to dannycater's comment:

Farrell was getting slammed by someone on the game thread for yanking Webster when he did. Farrell gets slammed for his lineups, his use of the rookies, his overuse of the veterans, etc....

Yet, last night, he brings in the lefty and Layne gets the out on hard hitting Calhoun

He had Mujica warming up and then it was Tazawa who came in the 8th because maybe he knows Mujica is still not a better option than Junior, who granted has slipped this year. He brought in Bradley in the 8th to take Nava's spot as Holt went to RF and of course JBJr makes 1 nice running catch and a game-saving catch for Uehara in the 9th....

So, how bout people get off the guy's case. The team is 15 games under .500 because of collective player failures on offense, the lack of a real solution to both Ellsbury/Salty at the start of the season. As far as the pitching staff goes, I think he's been 5,000x better than Tito in terms of when to pull someone or when to go to someone. He is a good manager, and I'm glad he is Sox manager. 

And Napoli homers so why do we play him now? Well, because he still hits for power on a powerless team...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Hey Danny, I respect your opinion of Farrell, I don't agree with it, but I respect it. Personally, as most already know, I think he stinks, but that's only my opinion. 

I would never tell any other posters what to post about a certain person associated with the team; you should do the same.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phenix26. Show phenix26's posts

I agree with you; everything that goes wrong lately, Farrell gets the blame.  I say, leave the manager alone and let him do his work.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bogie, it's a thankless job. You probably don't remember Jimy W, but if you did, you would know exactly why his alternatives are always going to be better. He was the King of benching guys on hot streaks, playing guys who were clearly scuffling badly, pulling pitchers way too early, and putting in terrible relievers....I'll take Tito, Grady (who except for his Pedro mistake was actually really good), and Farrell over The Island of Dr. Jimy W.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Webster move, for instance, is a move pretty much all of the best managers would have done at the exact same time especially with a young pitcher. Webster v. a guy who was 2-for-2 was not exactly the smart play. Layne or not, the lefty is always a better option there. Confidence and keeping a kid's confidence as a SP is very important to their growth. Webster came off a horrible start and followed it with a gem that could have gotten away from him had he been left in. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Hey Danny, I respect your opinion of Farrell, I don't agree with it, but I respect it. Personally, as most already know, I think he stinks, but that's only my opinion. 

I would never tell any other posters what to post about a certain person associated with the team; you should do the same.

If you think Farrell stinks ? Who is your manager that would make this team good?  I respect your opinion but it stinks. What your saying is  ...A very good team does not make a bad manager stink? Personally , everyone knows your views  stink and that might be your problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

If you think Farrell stinks ? Who is your manager that would make this team good?  I respect your opinion but it stinks. What your saying is  ...A very good team does not make a bad manager stink? Personally , everyone knows your views  stink and that might be your problem.

You are speaking for "everyone"? Laughable.

I also think Francona was a mediocre in-game manager. Farrell is a little better, but still is making too many mistakes. There is not a manager on earth who could make this team a good team.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Cheer up angry Don, there's a sale at WALMART today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

It appears one cannot use the word 'slug' anymore on this over moderated, whining board. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

You are speaking for "everyone"? Laughable.

I also think Francona was a mediocre in-game manager. Farrell is a little better, but still is making too many mistakes. There is not a manager on earth who could make this team a good team.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

That pretty much says it all. What does he do, play for the win, joke intended, or play the kids in preparation for next year and not worry so much about the win.

This year is over, a miserable failure.  I think this year should be spent building for next year so I'm a whole lot more relaxed about this season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It may be a terrible argument one way or the other, but let's face it, you win a WS title as a manager and you did something right. There are simply other things, other intangibles besides just in-game managing that can make up how good a manager is. Bobby Valentine, an example of a pretty smart in-game guy, but horrible, horrible off the field guy who only got players upset and made enemies with some of his silly comments. Francona handled the Sox clubhouse well, and let the players be players. Farrell from the same ilk, but maybe better at pitcher moves. Both managers may be not be up to the snuff of some of you fans, but they both have won WS titles with the Sox. Darrell Johnson did not, John McNamara (should have) did not, Joe Morgan did not, Eddie Kasko did not, Grady Little (probably could have) did not. Larussa, Torre, and Bobby Cox all made the Hall of Fame and a lot of their fans were frustrated by them all--Torre especially. Same type of abuse for Torre that Francona got. Yet, when it's all said and done, you are only what your record and achievements say you are. You do not gain brownie points for being a great tactician if you don't win.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If you want to say it's the players or the talent...that's true for most sports...coaches usually can kill you or put you over the top depending on the sport. I don't see Farrell killing the Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

If you want to say it's the players or the talent...that's true for most sports...coaches usually can kill you or put you over the top depending on the sport. I don't see Farrell killing the Sox.

Well, Farrell was also the manager last year when supposedly everything went right for the Sox and all of the players overachieved.  Nearly every move that Farrell made last year worked out.  How can he be such a terrible manager, if that's the case? 

Does Farrell get no credit for putting the players in the best possible position to succeed last year, but get all the blame for not putting the players in the best possible position to succeed this year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

It may be a terrible argument one way or the other, but let's face it, you win a WS title as a manager and you did something right. There are simply other things, other intangibles besides just in-game managing that can make up how good a manager is. Bobby Valentine, an example of a pretty smart in-game guy, but horrible, horrible off the field guy who only got players upset and made enemies with some of his silly comments. Francona handled the Sox clubhouse well, and let the players be players. Farrell from the same ilk, but maybe better at pitcher moves. Both managers may be not be up to the snuff of some of you fans, but they both have won WS titles with the Sox. Darrell Johnson did not, John McNamara (should have) did not, Joe Morgan did not, Eddie Kasko did not, Grady Little (probably could have) did not. Larussa, Torre, and Bobby Cox all made the Hall of Fame and a lot of their fans were frustrated by them all--Torre especially. Same type of abuse for Torre that Francona got. Yet, when it's all said and done, you are only what your record and achievements say you are. You do not gain brownie points for being a great tactician if you don't win.  

Personally, the clubhouse and player managing is of far more importance than the of field managing.  Many of the decisions made on the field are cut and dry.

Farrell is no Francona, but outside of his misuse of the sac bunt, I think Farrell is a pretty good manager.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Personally, the clubhouse and player managing is of far more importance than the of field managing.  Many of the decisions made on the field are cut and dry.

Farrell is no Francona, but outside of his misuse of the sac bunt, I think Farrell is a pretty good manager.

Farrell is Francona. Exactly the same. Both are good with the press, both want the players to like them, and BOTH are incompetent as field managers. And YES, that is important. But who cares, with knucklehead Farrell managing, the comedy writes itself. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Farrell is Francona. Exactly the same. Both are good with the press, both want the players to like them, and BOTH are incompetent as field managers. And YES, that is important. But who cares, with knucklehead Farrell managing, the comedy writes itself. 

I have yet to see any evidence that tells me that Francona was any worse of a field manager than any other manager was.  All managers make mistakes.  IMO, Francona did not any more than other managers. 

Also IMO, most of the times when posters bashed Francona for making an "idiotic" call, it was actually the absolute right call, which just didn't work out.  And those idiotic calls are almost always made in hindsight, which really don't count.

I find myself questioning Farrell's calls this year more than I did last year, and also more than I questioned Francona's, but this year is a bit of an anomaly.  I will reserve further judgment on Farrell until I've seen him manage another season, but so far, I think he's done a good job.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I have yet to see any evidence that tells me that Francona was any worse of a field manager than any other manager was.  All managers make mistakes.  IMO, Francona did not any more than other managers. 

Also IMO, most of the times when posters bashed Francona for making an "idiotic" call, it was actually the absolute right call, which just didn't work out.  And those idiotic calls are almost always made in hindsight, which really don't count.

I find myself questioning Farrell's calls this year more than I did last year, and also more than I questioned Francona's, but this year is a bit of an anomaly.  I will reserve further judgment on Farrell until I've seen him manage another season, but so far, I think he's done a good job.

Funny you mentioned that. I just turned on the Yankee/Indians' game on FOX. Cleveland has the bases loaded with one out. Swisher is on 3rd with a bad leg, limping like crazy. Guess what? 'Coma does not replace him with a pinch runner and , of course, Swisher is forced at home on a ground ball. A player on 2 good legs would have beaten the throw.

Cona will always be a fool as a field manager. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Funny you mentioned that. I just turned on the Yankee/Indians' game on FOX. Cleveland has the bases loaded with one out. Swisher is on 3rd with a bad leg, limping like crazy. Guess what? 'Coma does not replace him with a pinch runner and , of course, Swisher is forced at home on a ground ball. A player on 2 good legs would have beaten the throw.

Well, without having seen the play or having any more information than you just provided, I can't really know whether Francona should have used a pinch runner or not.

How bad are Swisher's legs? It was apparently a force out, not a tag play - Are you sure a pinch runner would have been safe? Who does Francona have available to run? How much faster than Swisher? Who else does Francona have on the bench? What inning? How crucial was the one run? Who was at bat and who was pitching?

The point is, just because a decision or non decision did not work, that does not mean that it was the wrong decision.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Well, without having seen the play or having any more information than you just provided, I can't really know whether Francona should have used a pinch runner or not.

How bad are Swisher's legs? It was apparently a force out, not a tag play - Are you sure a pinch runner would have been safe? Who does Francona have available to run? How much faster than Swisher? Who else does Francona have on the bench? What inning? How crucial was the one run? Who was at bat and who was pitching?

The point is, just because a decision or non decision did not work, that does not mean that it was the wrong decision.

Are you related to 'cona? Are you his agent or publicist? Are you afraid of the other 'cona apologists on this board?

Btw, 'Cona=Farrell. You can substitute Farrell's name anywhere that I mention 'cona.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

3 WS titles...:-)....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

3 WS titles...:-)....

3 'in spite of's.'

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Look, people criticize farrell because he rightfully deserves it. He does not excel at one part of his managerial duties. His in-game managing skills are weak and he literally does not know how to play situational baseball.  On top of that, he changes the line up pretty much every night which makes it difficult for players to settle into their spots and excel in their given roles. And when it comes to actually making the line-ups, he comes up with ones that no one with a brain would ever conjure up. For instantce, during the st.louis series, he consistently hit middlebrooks in the 8 spot with the pitcher hitting behind him in the 9. Now, anyone who has ever watched or played baseball knows that the guy in the 8 spot is not going to see anything to hit with the pitcher hitting behind him. Thats just common sense. So when you have a guy like middlebrooks who is struggling to get going and is working his way back, that is the last place you should be putting him. A smart manager would put him in a spot where he would actually see some pitches to hit with the hope being that he hits one. Heres another one for ya, when allen craig hit the DL with his ankle injury, mookie betts was up with the team spending the majority of his call up on the bench. Now any competent manager would see this as an opportunity to play betts with a spot in RF being open (could play him in center and bradley in RF as well) The point being that craigs injury should have been seen as an opportunity for betts to get everyday playing time and perhaps some at-bats in the leadoff spot. Now keep in mind as well, we are not in the playoff hunt or in a pennant race, so there is not really anything to play for. So what does farrell do instead of playing mookie? Keeps him on the bench and makes daniel nava an everyday player despite the fact that he has terrible numbers year and is below average defensively. On top of that, he refuses to sit brock holt despite the fact that he is in the midst of a massive regression and has been unable to adapt to a league that has him figured out. So rather than playing a guy who actually has a future on this team as a starter and getting a better look at him as well as give him some major league experience, he plays 2 guys who would should not be starters and really have no future besides being back ups. Those are just a couple of examples, but there are many more that have lead people to have negative opinions of john farrell. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

Look, people criticize farrell because he rightfully deserves it. He does not excel at one part of his managerial duties. His in-game managing skills are weak and he literally does not know how to play situational baseball.  On top of that, he changes the line up pretty much every night which makes it difficult for players to settle into their spots and excel in their given roles. And when it comes to actually making the line-ups, he comes up with ones that no one with a brain would ever conjure up. For instantce, during the st.louis series, he consistently hit middlebrooks in the 8 spot with the pitcher hitting behind him in the 9. Now, anyone who has ever watched or played baseball knows that the guy in the 8 spot is not going to see anything to hit with the pitcher hitting behind him. Thats just common sense. So when you have a guy like middlebrooks who is struggling to get going and is working his way back, that is the last place you should be putting him. A smart manager would put him in a spot where he would actually see some pitches to hit with the hope being that he hits one. Heres another one for ya, when allen craig hit the DL with his ankle injury, mookie betts was up with the team spending the majority of his call up on the bench. Now any competent manager would see this as an opportunity to play betts with a spot in RF being open (could play him in center and bradley in RF as well) The point being that craigs injury should have been seen as an opportunity for betts to get everyday playing time and perhaps some at-bats in the leadoff spot. Now keep in mind as well, we are not in the playoff hunt or in a pennant race, so there is not really anything to play for. So what does farrell do instead of playing mookie? Keeps him on the bench and makes daniel nava an everyday player despite the fact that he has terrible numbers year and is below average defensively. On top of that, he refuses to sit brock holt despite the fact that he is in the midst of a massive regression and has been unable to adapt to a league that has him figured out. So rather than playing a guy who actually has a future on this team as a starter and getting a better look at him as well as give him some major league experience, he plays 2 guys who would should not be starters and really have no future besides being back ups. Those are just a couple of examples, but there are many more that have lead people to have negative opinions of john farrell. 

Excellent post! I prefer the lazy way and just say he's terrible. The more games he manages, the more posters will realize this. Of course, some posters on this board are in denial.

Sections
Shortcuts