Farrell Last Night and Idiotic Criticism

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Farrell Last Night and Idiotic Criticism

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And when it comes to actually making the line-ups, he comes up with ones that no one with a brain would ever conjure up. For instantce, during the st.louis series, he consistently hit middlebrooks in the 8 spot with the pitcher hitting behind him in the 9. Now, anyone who has ever watched or played baseball knows that the guy in the 8 spot is not going to see anything to hit with the pitcher hitting behind him. Thats just common sense. So when you have a guy like middlebrooks who is struggling to get going and is working his way back, that is the last place you should be putting him. A smart manager would put him in a spot where he would actually see some pitches to hit with the hope being that he hits one.

[/QUOTE]

Some of this stuff you're just pulling out of your own head, like many armchair managers do.  Hitters who are struggling normally hit at the bottom of the order.  What do you suggest, putting Middlebrooks at cleanup?  Yes, I'm sure that move would be met with unanimous acclaim as a stroke of tactical genius.

Middlebrooks has tons of company in guys not hitting.  If you move him up to 6th or 7th you've still got guys struggling big time hitting behind him.  Unless you think we should put Ortiz behind Middlebrooks no matter where in the lineup he hits.

We've got lots of armchair managers here.  But I'll bet if you put them all in a room every game the only thing they would agree on is that Farrell stinks.  They wouldn't agree with each other's strategic ideas most of the time either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And when it comes to actually making the line-ups, he comes up with ones that no one with a brain would ever conjure up. For instantce, during the st.louis series, he consistently hit middlebrooks in the 8 spot with the pitcher hitting behind him in the 9. Now, anyone who has ever watched or played baseball knows that the guy in the 8 spot is not going to see anything to hit with the pitcher hitting behind him. Thats just common sense. So when you have a guy like middlebrooks who is struggling to get going and is working his way back, that is the last place you should be putting him. A smart manager would put him in a spot where he would actually see some pitches to hit with the hope being that he hits one.

[/QUOTE]

Some of this stuff you're just pulling out of your own head, like many armchair managers do.  Hitters who are struggling normally hit at the bottom of the order.  What do you suggest, putting Middlebrooks at cleanup?  Yes, I'm sure that move would be met with unanimous acclaim as a stroke of tactical genius.

Middlebrooks has tons of company in guys not hitting.  If you move him up to 6th or 7th you've still got guys struggling big time hitting behind him.  Unless you think we should put Ortiz behind Middlebrooks no matter where in the lineup he hits.

We've got lots of armchair managers here.  But I'll bet if you put them all in a room every game the only thing they would agree on is that Farrell stinks.  They wouldn't agree with each other's strategic ideas most of the time either.

[/QUOTE]

Farrell does stink as a manager and you're in denial. And I don't mean a river in Egypt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It may be a terrible argument one way or the other, but let's face it, you win a WS title as a manager and you did something right. There are simply other things, other intangibles besides just in-game managing that can make up how good a manager is. Bobby Valentine, an example of a pretty smart in-game guy, but horrible, horrible off the field guy who only got players upset and made enemies with some of his silly comments. Francona handled the Sox clubhouse well, and let the players be players. Farrell from the same ilk, but maybe better at pitcher moves. Both managers may be not be up to the snuff of some of you fans, but they both have won WS titles with the Sox. Darrell Johnson did not, John McNamara (should have) did not, Joe Morgan did not, Eddie Kasko did not, Grady Little (probably could have) did not. Larussa, Torre, and Bobby Cox all made the Hall of Fame and a lot of their fans were frustrated by them all--Torre especially. Same type of abuse for Torre that Francona got. Yet, when it's all said and done, you are only what your record and achievements say you are. You do not gain brownie points for being a great tactician if you don't win.  

[/QUOTE]

To the best of my knowledge, the Red Sox have never had a manager that the fans were all happy with.  Ralph Houk was popular, but his teams stunk so there was no real pressure.  Dick Williams is well regarded by many of the old timers, but he didn't last long here, which probably works to his advantage.

You can say the same thing about the Red Sox upper management.  We've won 3 world titles under them, but Epstein and Cherington have taken a pounding here.  Henry and Lucchino are regularly pilloried as well.  It's as if a lot of the fans think that nobody is actually to be credited for any of the success we've had.  It's kind of comical really.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Farrell does stink as a manager and you're in denial. And I don't mean a river in Egypt.

[/QUOTE]

At least I tried to address a specific criticism another poster was trying to make.

Whether Farrell stinks or not, the armchair managers' inflated opinions of themselves as strategists is comical in itself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It may be a terrible argument one way or the other, but let's face it, you win a WS title as a manager and you did something right. There are simply other things, other intangibles besides just in-game managing that can make up how good a manager is. Bobby Valentine, an example of a pretty smart in-game guy, but horrible, horrible off the field guy who only got players upset and made enemies with some of his silly comments. Francona handled the Sox clubhouse well, and let the players be players. Farrell from the same ilk, but maybe better at pitcher moves. Both managers may be not be up to the snuff of some of you fans, but they both have won WS titles with the Sox. Darrell Johnson did not, John McNamara (should have) did not, Joe Morgan did not, Eddie Kasko did not, Grady Little (probably could have) did not. Larussa, Torre, and Bobby Cox all made the Hall of Fame and a lot of their fans were frustrated by them all--Torre especially. Same type of abuse for Torre that Francona got. Yet, when it's all said and done, you are only what your record and achievements say you are. You do not gain brownie points for being a great tactician if you don't win.  

[/QUOTE]

To the best of my knowledge, the Red Sox have never had a manager that the fans were all happy with.  Ralph Houk was popular, but his teams stunk so there was no real pressure.  Dick Williams is well regarded by many of the old timers, but he didn't last long here, which probably works to his advantage.

You can say the same thing about the Red Sox upper management.  We've won 3 world titles under them, but Epstein and Cherington have taken a pounding here.  Henry and Lucchino are regularly pilloried as well.  It's as if a lot of the fans think that nobody is actually to be credited for any of the success we've had.  It's kind of comical really.

[/QUOTE]

Dick Williams wasn't here long because YAZ didn't like him. Carl complained to his surrogate father, Tom Yawkey, and Yawkey fired Williams. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dick Williams wasn't here long because YAZ didn't like him. Carl complained to his surrogate father, Tom Yawkey, and Yawkey fired Williams. 

[/QUOTE]

How do you tell when Bogy is overmatched?

He resorts to his tired Rickles shtick.

At least Don was good at it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bogie, you liked Zimmer as a manager, right? 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Btw, FOUR B'S, I'm a SOX fan, but if the SOX being in last place ruins your life just a little, I'm less unhappy that they're in last place. Now please go bore someone else.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[/QUOTE]

Farrell is Francona. Exactly the same. Both are good with the press, both want the players to like them, and BOTH are incompetent as field managers. And YES, that is important. But who cares, with knucklehead Farrell managing, the comedy writes itself.

So far this year Farrell has lost about 25 or 26 one run games....this is the sad story of the worst in-game manager in baseball...2013 was an overachiving fluke, Farrell flukier   than none....just one note, what was Buch doing in the eighth inning last night?... More than a one hundred pitches in a strenuous chore...moreover, Buch has been all year long a frail unreliable pitcher, tradeable in most minds.. So Buch gives you seven innings and we are leading by just one run...that is the typical kind of game that any good manager wins or lose with the very best of your bullpen... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Farrell is Francona. Exactly the same. Both are good with the press, both want the players to like them, and BOTH are incompetent as field managers. And YES, that is important. But who cares, with knucklehead Farrell managing, the comedy writes itself.

So far this year Farrell has lost about 25 or 26 one run games....this is the sad story of the worst in-game manager in baseball...2013 was an overachiving fluke, Farrell flukier   than none....just one note, what was Buch doing in the eighth inning last night?... More than a one hundred pitches in a strenuous chore...moreover, Buch has been all year long a frail unreliable pitcher, tradeable in most minds.. So Buch gives you seven innings and we are leading by just one run...that is the typical kind of game that any good manager wins or lose with the very best of your bullpen... 

[/QUOTE]

Farrell has personally lost 25 or 26 one-run games.?  He went 6-60 last night?  He blew the lead in the 14th? He needed 2 Angel errors to score twice in the 7th?  

Okay he goes to Tazawa in the 8th, as has been the norm.  That would be the same Junichi who coughed up the lead against the bottom part of the order in the bottom of the 14th and who has not exactly been lights out lately.  Except now he's facing Kalhoun/Trout/Pujols. It would have been the by the book move.  But is Tazawa tired/have a slight injury?  We don't know, that's information Farrell has. Personally, I would have done the by the book move, but I'm not privy to all the info he has. I would not have used Uehara when he did.  But I'm not going to lay an entire season on Farrell. Players have to do the job, and this year, most of them have been very bad at it.

Earl Weaver once said a manager makes a difference in 4 or 5 games a year. The rest is on the players.  This is my 48th season as a fan and from what I've seen, Earl is not far from the truth.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Someone said that Farrell refuses to use the same lineup and changes it every night. So yesterday he employs the same one that recorded a win on Friday and the said lineup goes 6-for-60....The guy who was the power show on Friday went 0-for-5 on Saturday....On Clay, so now if he goes with his SP in the 8th (or the team's ace now), he is an idiot, but if he went to Tazawa, who has clearly gone to pieces, he's an idiot for doing that. You can't win. He again brought in Bradley who made 3 sensational catches AFTER the 8th inning. Nava starts, but you'd rather Bradley just start and go 0-for-8?? What is it? I had people defending Nava and I ripped him to pieces and yet he's been one of the few Sox actually reaching base in the last month. The team is decimated. The team's best players took some of the weakest at bats I've ever seen by the 10th inning. Ortiz hits a big double AWAY from the shift and then a big SF and then has 3 pathetic attempts in the extras. Pedroia comes up with 2 big plays and then strikes out on a pitch 5 miles outside the strike zone by the time his last at bat. Pujols, who was horrible, beyond horrible for 7 at bats after a double in the 1st, then hits a HR. Sox had 19 innings to hit a bomb and couldn't hit one. Bradley in fact ended up with the best at bat other than Ortiz's double with his drive to CF that Hamilton made a great catch at the wall and turned into a DP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Try managing yesterday's game...He sent the runners twice, one time Middlebrooks was doubled up on a weak pop up by Vasquez...Again, try to manage, in-game manage when you have no players performing. I can tell you right now, Casey Stengel couldn't manage this team and win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuttingedge. Show cuttingedge's posts

I think Farrell lost the game last night. After Petey did so much to get them a one run lead Farrell blew it by NOT pulling the infield in with the bases loaded and no outs. He KNOWS the Sox can't score, the only chance was to win in that inning and not let them score. Sure enough Pujols hit a sharp grounder that would have easily gotten the runner out at the plate with the infield in and maybe even a DP with Pujols to first but instead they only got one out at second. It was an obvious managerial blunder in my eyes. They gave up the tying run (conceded the tying run by not pulling infield in) and then of course lost it later!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Farrell was getting slammed by someone on the game thread for yanking Webster when he did. Farrell gets slammed for his lineups, his use of the rookies, his overuse of the veterans, etc....

Yet, last night, he brings in the lefty and Layne gets the out on hard hitting Calhoun

He had Mujica warming up and then it was Tazawa who came in the 8th because maybe he knows Mujica is still not a better option than Junior, who granted has slipped this year. He brought in Bradley in the 8th to take Nava's spot as Holt went to RF and of course JBJr makes 1 nice running catch and a game-saving catch for Uehara in the 9th....

So, how bout people get off the guy's case. The team is 15 games under .500 because of collective player failures on offense, the lack of a real solution to both Ellsbury/Salty at the start of the season. As far as the pitching staff goes, I think he's been 5,000x better than Tito in terms of when to pull someone or when to go to someone. He is a good manager, and I'm glad he is Sox manager. 

And Napoli homers so why do we play him now? Well, because he still hits for power on a powerless team...

[/QUOTE]

Hey Danny, I respect your opinion of Farrell, I don't agree with it, but I respect it. Personally, as most already know, I think he stinks, but that's only my opinion. 

I would never tell any other posters what to post about a certain person associated with the team; you should do the same.

[/QUOTE]

If you think Farrell stinks ? Who is your manager that would make this team good?  I respect your opinion but it stinks. What your saying is  ...A very good team does not make a bad manager stink? Personally , everyone knows your views  stink and that might be your problem.

[/QUOTE]

Cheer up angry Don, there's a sale at WALMART today.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for telling me about the sale at WALMARTS. You must check all the time. Didn't see it. Hope they give VETERANS discount for serving my country to protect your sorry  AZZ.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Try managing yesterday's game...He sent the runners twice, one time Middlebrooks was doubled up on a weak pop up by Vasquez...Again, try to manage, in-game manage when you have no players performing. I can tell you right now, Casey Stengel couldn't manage this team and win.

Would that be the Dodger's Casey Stengel, The Yankee's Case Stengel or the Met's Casey Stengel?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Well seeing as how the Sox have lost 23 one run games this year, that's pretty amazing that Farrell has lost 25 or 26 of them.   And even if the Sox had lost 25 one run games, are you saying that Farrell is the reason why they lost every single one of those games?  

How about the 22 one run games that the Sox won?   Did Farrell win those?

Why is it that every time the team loses, it's the manager's fault?   When the team wins, it's in spite of the manager?   Maybe it's the exact opposite.   The team wins because of Farrell, and they lose in spite of him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

On Clay, so now if he goes with his SP in the 8th (or the team's ace now), he is an idiot, but if he went to Tazawa, who has clearly gone to pieces, he's an idiot for doing that. You can't win.

[/QUOTE]

No, you can't win.  If Tazawa had come in and given up the tying run, Farrell would have been crucified for that.   "Why didn't he leave Clay in?  Clay was dealing and his pitch count wasn't that high!"

FTR, after Clay gave up the home run, he got through the rest of the inning pretty easily.  It's not like he was spent when Farrell sent him out in the 8th.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to cuttingedge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Farrell lost the game last night. After Petey did so much to get them a one run lead Farrell blew it by NOT pulling the infield in with the bases loaded and no outs. He KNOWS the Sox can't score, the only chance was to win in that inning and not let them score. Sure enough Pujols hit a sharp grounder that would have easily gotten the runner out at the plate with the infield in and maybe even a DP with Pujols to first but instead they only got one out at second. It was an obvious managerial blunder in my eyes. They gave up the tying run (conceded the tying run by not pulling infield in) and then of course lost it later!

[/QUOTE]

Thats a pretty risky move with no one out. I can see it maybe with one out, but not with nobody out. You are asking for a big inning where the opponent not only ties the game but takes the lead. Farrell isn't the reason this team stinks: they stink because they lack talent and those with talent are underperforming.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People like to make Yaz the scapegoat for Williams' firing, but it wasn't quite as black and white as you make it. Dick Williams lost the entire clubhouse, not just Yaz. Beyond that, he clashed with Yawkey, which was the real reason he was fired.

Look at Williams' track record. He constantly wore out his welcome after about three years:

Boston < three years

Oakland three years

California < three years

See a pattern.

Montreal < five years -- his longest stint then.

San Diego four years.

Seattle < three years.Williams was a good manager but had a short shelf life.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Farrell was getting slammed by someone on the game thread for yanking Webster when he did. Farrell gets slammed for his lineups, his use of the rookies, his overuse of the veterans, etc....

Yet, last night, he brings in the lefty and Layne gets the out on hard hitting Calhoun

He had Mujica warming up and then it was Tazawa who came in the 8th because maybe he knows Mujica is still not a better option than Junior, who granted has slipped this year. He brought in Bradley in the 8th to take Nava's spot as Holt went to RF and of course JBJr makes 1 nice running catch and a game-saving catch for Uehara in the 9th....

So, how bout people get off the guy's case. The team is 15 games under .500 because of collective player failures on offense, the lack of a real solution to both Ellsbury/Salty at the start of the season. As far as the pitching staff goes, I think he's been 5,000x better than Tito in terms of when to pull someone or when to go to someone. He is a good manager, and I'm glad he is Sox manager. 

And Napoli homers so why do we play him now? Well, because he still hits for power on a powerless team...

Hey Danny, I respect your opinion of Farrell, I don't agree with it, but I respect it. Personally, as most already know, I think he stinks, but that's only my opinion. 

I would never tell any other posters what to post about a certain person associated with the team; you should do the same.

[/QUOTE]

If you think Farrell stinks ? Who is your manager that would make this team good?  I respect your opinion but it stinks. What your saying is  ...A very good team does not make a bad manager stink? Personally , everyone knows your views  stink and that might be your problem.

[/QUOTE]

Cheer up angry Don, there's a sale at WALMART today.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for telling me about the sale at WALMARTS. You must check all the time. Didn't see it. Hope they give VETERANS discount for serving my country to protect your sorry  AZZ.

[/QUOTE]

What country was that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Funny you mentioned that. I just turned on the Yankee/Indians' game on FOX. Cleveland has the bases loaded with one out. Swisher is on 3rd with a bad leg, limping like crazy. Guess what? 'Coma does not replace him with a pinch runner and , of course, Swisher is forced at home on a ground ball. A player on 2 good legs would have beaten the throw.

Cona will always be a fool as a field manager.

[/QUOTE]

Well, without having seen the play or having any more information than you just provided, I can't really know whether Francona should have used a pinch runner or not.

How bad are Swisher's legs? It was apparently a force out, not a tag play - Are you sure a pinch runner would have been safe? Who does Francona have available to run? How much faster than Swisher? Who else does Francona have on the bench? What inning? How crucial was the one run? Who was at bat and who was pitching?

The point is, just because a decision or non decision did not work, that does not mean that it was the wrong decision.

[/QUOTE]

Are you related to 'cona? Are you his agent or publicist? Are you afraid of the other 'cona apologists on this board?

Btw, 'Cona=Farrell. You can substitute Farrell's name anywhere that I mention 'cona.

[/QUOTE]
    KIMI I'LL ANSWER THE QUESTION HE WON'T. IT WAS THE 7TH INDIANS UP BY 2-0. BASES LOADED INFIELD PLAYING IN A GROUND BALL TO THE FIRST BASEMAN THERE WAS NO ONE IN MLB THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SAFE.
    I AM ALWAYS AMAZED AT HOW THERE IS LITTLE COMPLAINING ABOUT A MANAGER WHEN A TEAM IS WINNING BUT OH SO MUCH WHEN ONE IS LOSING.

For instantce, during the st.louis series, he consistently hit middlebrooks in the 8 spot with the pitcher hitting behind him in the 9. Now, anyone who has ever watched or played baseball knows that the guy in the 8 spot is not going to see anything to hit with the pitcher hitting behind him. Thats just common sense. So when you have a guy like middlebrooks who is struggling to get going and is working his way back, that is the last place you should be putting him. A smart manager would put him in a spot where he would actually see some pitches to hit with the hope being that he hits one. YET OTHERS WONDER WHY HE IS PLAYING AT ALL AND IF HE IS HE SHOULD HIT 9TH

Here's another one for ya, when allen craig hit the DL with his ankle injury, mookie betts was up with the team spending the majority of his call up on the bench. Now any competent manager would see this as an opportunity to play betts with a spot in RF being open (could play him in center and bradley in RF as well) The point being that craigs injury should have been seen as an opportunity for betts to get everyday playing time and perhaps some at-bats in the leadoff spot.SO THEN WHERE WOULD HOLT PLAY NOT THIRD BECAUSE YOU WANT MIDDLEBROOKS TO GET HITS AND PLAYING TIME. IF BETTS PLAYS RF WHERE DOES THE CURRENT BEST HITTER ON THE TEAM PLAY. FIRST THEN YOU HAVE LOST A PWR HITTER, NOT SECOND, NOT SS NOT LF NOT CF

On top of that, he refuses to sit brock holt despite the fact that he is in the midst of a massive regression and has been unable to adapt to a league that has him figured out. OK SO THIS MONTH IN 8 GAMES HE IS AT 243 IN JULY HE WAS AT 275 WHICH IS 7 POINTS BELOW HIS CAREER NUMBERS. SO THIS IS NOT A MASSIVE REGRESSION AND LET'S NOT FORGET HE HAS BEEN THE MOST CONSISTENT PLAYER ON THE TEAM ALL YEAR DESPITE THE PAST 8 GAMES.

Keeps him on the bench and makes daniel nava an everyday player despite the fact that he has terrible numbers year and is below average defensively. YET HE HAS HIT NEAR 300 THE PAST MONTH AND TRIPLED HIS SLG % AND I POINTED OUT A FEW WEEKS AGO HIS RISP AVE WAS AS GOOD AS NAPOLI'S AND JUST LESS THAN ORTIZ EVEN WHEN HE WAS IN A SLUMP.

FOLKS SORRY BUT IT IS ABOUT WHO IS DOING WHAT AND FANS DWELL ON THE NEGATIVE EVEN IF THE NUMBERS SAY OTHER WISE. IT IS ABOUT SITUATIONS AND WHO DOES BETTER IN THOSE SITUATIONS.

NAVA HITS RIGHTIES AT A 300 CLIP BETTS DOES NOT (225 AVE) SO WHEN YOU ARE FACING RIGHTIES THE CHOICE IS NAVA

FARRELL IS IN A DAMNED IF I DO AND DAMNED IF I DON'T WITH THE FANS

I AM NOT ATTACKING ANYONE'S OPINION BUT JUST SHOWING THERE IS A VERY VALID OPPOSITE OPINION.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Funny you mentioned that. I just turned on the Yankee/Indians' game on FOX. Cleveland has the bases loaded with one out. Swisher is on 3rd with a bad leg, limping like crazy. Guess what? 'Coma does not replace him with a pinch runner and , of course, Swisher is forced at home on a ground ball. A player on 2 good legs would have beaten the throw.

Cona will always be a fool as a field manager.

[/QUOTE]

Well, without having seen the play or having any more information than you just provided, I can't really know whether Francona should have used a pinch runner or not.

How bad are Swisher's legs? It was apparently a force out, not a tag play - Are you sure a pinch runner would have been safe? Who does Francona have available to run? How much faster than Swisher? Who else does Francona have on the bench? What inning? How crucial was the one run? Who was at bat and who was pitching?

The point is, just because a decision or non decision did not work, that does not mean that it was the wrong decision.

[/QUOTE]

Are you related to 'cona? Are you his agent or publicist? Are you afraid of the other 'cona apologists on this board?

Btw, 'Cona=Farrell. You can substitute Farrell's name anywhere that I mention 'cona.

[/QUOTE]
    KIMI I'LL ANSWER THE QUESTION HE WON'T. IT WAS THE 7TH INDIANS UP BY 2-0. BASES LOADED INFIELD PLAYING IN A GROUND BALL TO THE FIRST BASEMAN THERE WAS NO ONE IN MLB THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SAFE.
    I AM ALWAYS AMAZED AT HOW THERE IS LITTLE COMPLAINING ABOUT A MANAGER WHEN A TEAM IS WINNING BUT OH SO MUCH WHEN ONE IS LOSING.

For instantce, during the st.louis series, he consistently hit middlebrooks in the 8 spot with the pitcher hitting behind him in the 9. Now, anyone who has ever watched or played baseball knows that the guy in the 8 spot is not going to see anything to hit with the pitcher hitting behind him. Thats just common sense. So when you have a guy like middlebrooks who is struggling to get going and is working his way back, that is the last place you should be putting him. A smart manager would put him in a spot where he would actually see some pitches to hit with the hope being that he hits one. YET OTHERS WONDER WHY HE IS PLAYING AT ALL AND IF HE IS HE SHOULD HIT 9TH

Here's another one for ya, when allen craig hit the DL with his ankle injury, mookie betts was up with the team spending the majority of his call up on the bench. Now any competent manager would see this as an opportunity to play betts with a spot in RF being open (could play him in center and bradley in RF as well) The point being that craigs injury should have been seen as an opportunity for betts to get everyday playing time and perhaps some at-bats in the leadoff spot.SO THEN WHERE WOULD HOLT PLAY NOT THIRD BECAUSE YOU WANT MIDDLEBROOKS TO GET HITS AND PLAYING TIME. IF BETTS PLAYS RF WHERE DOES THE CURRENT BEST HITTER ON THE TEAM PLAY. FIRST THEN YOU HAVE LOST A PWR HITTER, NOT SECOND, NOT SS NOT LF NOT CF

On top of that, he refuses to sit brock holt despite the fact that he is in the midst of a massive regression and has been unable to adapt to a league that has him figured out. OK SO THIS MONTH IN 8 GAMES HE IS AT 243 IN JULY HE WAS AT 275 WHICH IS 7 POINTS BELOW HIS CAREER NUMBERS. SO THIS IS NOT A MASSIVE REGRESSION AND LET'S NOT FORGET HE HAS BEEN THE MOST CONSISTENT PLAYER ON THE TEAM ALL YEAR DESPITE THE PAST 8 GAMES.

Keeps him on the bench and makes daniel nava an everyday player despite the fact that he has terrible numbers year and is below average defensively. YET HE HAS HIT NEAR 300 THE PAST MONTH AND TRIPLED HIS SLG % AND I POINTED OUT A FEW WEEKS AGO HIS RISP AVE WAS AS GOOD AS NAPOLI'S AND JUST LESS THAN ORTIZ EVEN WHEN HE WAS IN A SLUMP.

FOLKS SORRY BUT IT IS ABOUT WHO IS DOING WHAT AND FANS DWELL ON THE NEGATIVE EVEN IF THE NUMBERS SAY OTHER WISE. IT IS ABOUT SITUATIONS AND WHO DOES BETTER IN THOSE SITUATIONS.

NAVA HITS RIGHTIES AT A 300 CLIP BETTS DOES NOT (225 AVE) SO WHEN YOU ARE FACING RIGHTIES THE CHOICE IS NAVA

FARRELL IS IN A DAMNED IF I DO AND DAMNED IF I DON'T WITH THE FANS

I AM NOT ATTACKING ANYONE'S OPINION BUT JUST SHOWING THERE IS A VERY VALID OPPOSITE OPINION.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

[/QUOTE]

Hey boring Jim, did you know that Florida is tied with Texas and Arizona as the stupidest states in the union. Your posts help confirm this fact.