Farrell named Sizemore as opening day CF.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Farrell names Sizemore as opening day CF.

Sources will follow.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/03/28/its-official-grady-sizemore-makes-red-sox-opening-day-roster//

2014 Red Sox by Peter Abraham

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/farrell-named-sizemore-as-opening-day-cf-/100/7089981#edit-post-form

don't think he got the lineup right though. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Farrell named Sizemore as opening day CF.

so our opening day lineup would probably look like

1. Daniel Nava LF

2. Shane Victorino RF

3. Dustin Pedroia 2B

4. David Ortiz DH

5. Mike Napoli 1B

6. Grady Sizemore CF

7. Xander Bogaerts SS

8. AJ Pierzynski C

9. Will Middlebrooks 3B

LHP Jon Lester

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Latest News Recent News Red Sox manager John Farrell on Friday named Grady Sizemore the team's Opening Day center fielder. Mar 28 - 11:17 AM Source: Gordon Edes on Twitter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

great news seanny..........great news.....

grady is gonna rock man. I like how things are shaping up.

go sox

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Nice. This is a great story already, and hopefully it's only the beginning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Looks like JBJ will be starting the year in Pawtucket

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I predict that Sizemore will put up better numbers (and play more games) than Ellsbury this year.   Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I predict that Sizemore will put up better numbers (and play more games) than Ellsbury this year.   Cool

[/QUOTE]

It sure will be fun to watch if that happens!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Daniel Nava LF

2. Shane Victorino RF

3. Dustin Pedroia 2B

4. David Ortiz DH

5. Mike Napoli 1B

6. Grady Sizemore CF

7. Xander Bogaerts SS

8. AJ Pierzynski C

9. Will Middlebrooks 3B

LHP Jon Lester

[/QUOTE]

I like the line-up but would probably flip Middy and AJP. I also might flip Pedey and Papi vs RHPs, but I'm fine with this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Done deal.  JF was quite definitive

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The line-up vs a LH'd starter will be interesting.

Trying to minimize radical line-up shuffling, I still came up with this (not my first choice):

1) Vic

2) Pedey

3) Gomes

4) Papi

5) Napoli

6) Bogey

7) Middy

8) Grady

9) AJ P

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

good to hear the sizemore was named the starting cf, but i disagree with farrells plan to hit sizemore in the middle of the order. sizemore should without question be our leadoff hitter. You dont put a toad like daniel nava leadoff just because he has a good obp. you need speed from the leadoff hitter and nava is one of the slowest guys on the team. Also, middlebrooks hitting 8th or 9th is a joke. My sox lineup would look like this:

1.Sizemore

2.Victorino

3.Pedroia

4.Ortiz

5.Napoli

6.Bogaerts

7.Middlebrooks

8.Pierznyski

9.Nava (since he is mr.obp, he would be a good guy to turn the line up over)

This is why i said put bradley in center, sizemore in left and nava on the bench. We would have a way better defensive outfield (nava is well below average defensively) and bradley would slot right into the 9 spot. Dont understand why nava was just given a starting spot on the team when he has done little to deserve it. last year was his only good one and its not like he was a good everday starter. He was a good platoon player offensive who provided below average defence. Also, though he is technically a switch hitter, he is one of those guys who really can only hit effectively from one side. (much like victorino) He really can only hit well batting from the left side. His spits against lefties were pretty dismal last year and thus negates him from being a true switch hitter. A true switch hitter should be able to hit from both sides of the plate effectively and equally well. farrell needs to wake up and get off the daniel nava train. The reality is, he is not that good and should not be a starter on this team. he should have been competing with sizemore and bradley for the CF/LF spots. Clearly based on this spring, sizemore and bradley were the best 2 of those 3. The fact that farrell thinks nava can play center just shows how dilusional he is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i was happy to see this quote by JBJ:

Asked if he could appreciate what Sizemore had accomplished, making it back to this point, Bradley said: "Oh yeah. For anybody, if you said you didn't admire what he had been through and the things he's been able to do, you'd be lying. He's amazing, a great ballplayer, great person, great teammate."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i was happy to see this quote by JBJ:

Asked if he could appreciate what Sizemore had accomplished, making it back to this point, Bradley said: "Oh yeah. For anybody, if you said you didn't admire what he had been through and the things he's been able to do, you'd be lying. He's amazing, a great ballplayer, great person, great teammate."

[/QUOTE]

Good on the kid!  Keep working hard, as I have a feeling the Sox will need you this year up with the big club!  You're gonna get a shot in some capasity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

good to hear the sizemore was named the starting cf, but i disagree with farrells plan to hit sizemore in the middle of the order. sizemore should without question be our leadoff hitter. You dont put a toad like daniel nava leadoff just because he has a good obp. you need speed from the leadoff hitter and nava is one of the slowest guys on the team. Also, middlebrooks hitting 8th or 9th is a joke. My sox lineup would look like this:

1.Sizemore

2.Victorino

3.Pedroia

4.Ortiz

5.Napoli

6.Bogaerts

7.Middlebrooks

8.Pierznyski

This is why i said put bradley in center, sizemore in left and nava on the bench. We would have a way better defensive outfield (nava is well below average defensively) and bradley would slot right into the 9 spot. Dont understand why nava was just given a starting spot on the team when he has done little to deserve it. last year was his only good one and its not like he was a good everday starter. He was a good platoon player offensive who provided below average defence. Also, though he is technically a switch hitter, he is one of those guys who really can only hit effectively from one side. (much like victorino) He really can only hit well batting from the left side. His spits against lefties were pretty dismal last year and thus negates him from being a true switch hitter. A true switch hitter should be able to hit from both sides of the plate effectively and equally well. farrell needs to wake up and get off the daniel nava train. The reality is, he is not that good and should not be a starter on this team. he should have been competing with sizemore and bradley for the CF/LF spots. Clearly based on this spring, sizemore and bradley were the best 2 of those 3. The fact that farrell thinks nava can play center just shows how dilusional he is.

[/QUOTE]

Nava had an OBP over .400 vs RHPs. He deserves to start vs righties.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1.Sizemore

2.Victorino

3.Pedroia

4.Ortiz

5.Napoli

6.Bogaerts

7.Middlebrooks

8.Pierznyski

[/QUOTE]

Nava had an OBP over .400 vs RHPs. He deserves to start vs righties.

[/QUOTE]

NOT MANY / ANY EASY OUTS IN THIS LINEUP!

i like our chances this year!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

When you're putting a .300+ BA guy as your #9, you're looking at a team with GREAT POTENTIAL!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to seannybboi's comment:

1. Daniel Nava LF

2. Shane Victorino RF

3. Dustin Pedroia 2B

4. David Ortiz DH

5. Mike Napoli 1B

6. Grady Sizemore CF

7. Xander Bogaerts SS

8. AJ Pierzynski C

9. Will Middlebrooks 3B

LHP Jon Lester

I like the line-up but would probably flip Middy and AJP. I also might flip Pedey and Papi vs RHPs, but I'm fine with this.

Hopefully Nava leads off against righties only.  I would personally leadoff Bogy against lefties "not Gomes" and Grady more often than Nava with righties.  They can both make a lot more happen on the basepaths than Nava or Gomes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When you're putting a .300+ BA guy as your #9, you're looking at a team with GREAT POTENTIAL!

[/QUOTE]

They will score runs. They will be in the top three teams in runs scored IMO. Its all going to come down to SP, as always. If that holds up we will be back playing October baseball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They will score runs. They will be in the top three teams in runs scored IMO. Its all going to come down to SP, as always. If that holds up we will be back playing October baseball.

[/QUOTE]

who did they lose? Salty, Drew, Ellsbury are the big names.  

I think they can gain at 2nd base with Pedey healthy, AJ might give us something very similiar to what Salty did, and I think Bogaerts will be much more productive than Drew.

WMB will probably give us better production at 3B, I hope and all things considered I don't think we will see a huge drop off in CF.

Of course guys could regress too, but we might have better depth options too this year.

It will be interesting, and being the #1 offense is hard to repeat because there is only one way to go.  But I think we are easily a top 5 offense this year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who did they lose? Salty, Drew, Ellsbury are the big names.  

I think they can gain at 2nd base with Pedey healthy, AJ might give us something very similiar to what Salty did, and I think Bogaerts will be much more productive than Drew.

WMB will probably give us better production at 3B, I hope and all things considered I don't think we will see a huge drop off in CF.

Of course guys could regress too, but we might have better depth options too this year.

It will be interesting, and being the #1 offense is hard to repeat because there is only one way to go.  But I think we are easily a top 5 offense this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Although past performance is not indicative necessarily of future performance, here is how the Sox have placed in the AL in runs scored in the last six years: 1, 5, 1, 2, 3, 2. Only during the disastrous year Valentine was here did we finish below top 3. I would be shocked if we finished below top three again. Its all up the the SP IMO.

23. This post has been removed.