Farrell off tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Farrell off tonight

So far skipper has done a great job managing, particularly managing pitches, not so tonight as Aceves was way out of gas at 100 pitches and was getting killed. Skipper couldn't see that? Also why lift Carp after a 3 for 3 (all xrta bases) for Gomes? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Re: Farrell off tonight

Very questionable move. It was 5-0, he was trying to squeeze one more inning out of Aceves. I'm sure he saw the same Aceves we all did. The bullpen was worked hard last night, so I can only assume he thought it was worth a gamble. Three runs is one thing. Three runs without recording an out is another. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Very questionable move. It was 5-0, he was trying to squeeze one more inning out of Aceves. I'm sure he saw the same Aceves we all did. The bullpen was worked hard last night, so I can only assume he thought it was worth a gamble. Three runs is one thing. Three runs without recording an out is another. 

we have a long stretch without a day off. need as much from the starters as we can get. need to conserve the BP as much as possible

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

definitely a terrible win

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

He left Aceves in too long, but Tazawa, Uehara and Bailey made it a non-issue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Jader, please give us your wisdom before the fact, not after it.  20-20 hindsight is pretty worthless in my opinion.  As for Carp, you completely missed the point that Farrell started him in the first place.  The Sox just beat one of the best starters in the AL, and you are griping.  I don't give Farrell all that much credit for the win because he got no hits and got no one on the Indians out, but I sure as heck don't think he mismanaged anything.  Napoleon once said he preferred generals who were lucky.  Maybe Farrell is lucky.  Whatever is reality, there can be no question he has got these guys thinking positive and playing great ball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It was indeed a fine move starting Carp tonight.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would not question hitting Gomes for Carp vs the lefty..  But Aceves was left in too long. There is no getting around that. It was clear that Aceves was gassed. The only out he got over the last eight hitters was the catch by Shane. It has been a long time since he threw that many pitches. Anyway , all's well that ends well.  Overall , Farrell has done a good job.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

My first thought on seeing Aceves back out there in the sixth was: WHAT? Thinking it over I can see it now. I'd bet Farrell would have been pleased with one more inning even if Aceves gave up two runs. As it worked out he gave up  three and got no outs. 

The problem is Doubrant and Aceves are going to kill the bullpen. I know Doubrant can pitch. He ought to start paying attention to Uehara. The guy is like Rivera. He throws a fastball and a cutter and pumps strikes. He doesn't even throw hard. Throw strikes. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

We have a bullpen that's the envy of the league. We should use these guys at the drop of a hat. Ace was in too long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

We have a bullpen that's the envy of the league. We should use these guys at the drop of a hat. Ace was in too long.

That's a good way to burn out the bullpen.

I defintely have no problem with Aceves going out for the sixth. Maybe he was left out one batter too long, but so be it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It is kind of funny.

Fans will blast teams today for babying pitchers, but when a manager tries to push a pitcher and it doesn't work, he gets blasted.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

My first thought on seeing Aceves back out there in the sixth was: WHAT? Thinking it over I can see it now. I'd bet Farrell would have been pleased with one more inning even if Aceves gave up two runs. As it worked out he gave up  three and got no outs. 

The problem is Doubrant and Aceves are going to kill the bullpen. I know Doubrant can pitch. He ought to start paying attention to Uehara. The guy is like Rivera. He throws a fastball and a cutter and pumps strikes. He doesn't even throw hard. Throw strikes. 

Doubrant has pitched 5 innings, giving up 3 earned runs, and 5 innings, giving up 2 earned runs.  Aceves has pitched 5 innings, giving up 2 earned runs, and 5 innings giving up 3 earned runs.  Not outstanding, but this is the bottom of the rotation and it's April.  Plus, Aceves went into the season as a reliever.  

What the hey do you expect from your bottom of rotation pitchers in April anyways?  I'd also like to see you compare these performances with other 4th and 5th starters around the league.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Yup.  Aceves was throwing 85 MPH fastballs right before he got off the mound.  I believe he can hit high 90's.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I didnt like him going out for the sixth, but with a 5 run lead and trying to keep the pen as fresh as possible, I understand the move. I dont agree with it, but I understand why.

Aceves has done an outstanding job filling in for Lackey. 5IP and keeping it to 3 runs or less is fine with me after starting the year as a pen arm.

Overall Farrell has done a great job as Manager. No complaints.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to jader's comment:

So far skipper has done a great job managing, particularly managing pitches, not so tonight as Aceves was way out of gas at 100 pitches and was getting killed. Skipper couldn't see that? Also why lift Carp after a 3 for 3 (all xrta bases) for Gomes? 

I am impressed, especially the way he has improved the pitching staff.  I especially love the way he handles the press.  The lives of the press is boring compared to last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Bullpens can get burned out. Its a fine line to walk for a manager. It certainly looked like Aceves was gassed, and Wright might have been a good choice to come in to finish the fifth inning since he can be swapped for another AAA pitcher the next day. If you keep going to your pen that early and that often then by August there will be a lot of tired arms out there. Not really sure Farrell made a mistake last night; it all worked out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Bullpens can get burned out. Its a fine line to walk for a manager. It certainly looked like Aceves was gassed, and Wright might have been a good choice to come in to finish the fifth inning since he can be swapped for another AAA pitcher the next day. If you keep going to your pen that early and that often then by August there will be a lot of tired arms out there. Not really sure Farrell made a mistake last night; it all worked out.

Yes, he had confidence in his offense.

Sections
Shortcuts