Farrell pulling a Francona again?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Farrell pulling a Francona again?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Manager John pulled Dumpster soon enough. The longer the season goes, the more I like Manager John's management style. Brutal, from Dempster, 127 pitches for 4.2 innings. His ERA is getting closer to the 4.5 or worse that I projected it to be. He has exceeded my expectations, though, just not worth 13.25 million a year to be a bottom of the rotation type of guy. To his credit, though, he has had some good starts.

I love the way Manager John is handling Ortiz. Instead of riding him, they should give him Sunday off. Middlebrooks is coming to life, needs to keep it up.

Farrell has done a good job overall but 127 pitches, 8 hits, 6 BB's, 5 runs and not removing him after placing runners in scoring position in the fifth was pretty sad.  Thats like patting him on the back because hes a vet and saying dont worry you can do it.  This staff, outside of Jon and Clay has been pathetic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Anyone here who's played ball on a serious level knows that these pitchers are not machines.  Arms need rest.  It's not like turning on your radio and letting it go on forever.

The obvious reason Farrell held pulling him earlier is to give the bullpen much needed rest.

It's been my worry since early in the season that because of lack of innings by our 3-5 guys, the bullpen would burn out.

Anyone who doesn't realize this, obviously hasn't played any baseball beyond pee-wee league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Anyone here who's played ball on a serious level knows that these pitchers are not machines.  Arms need rest.  It's not like turning on your radio and letting it go on forever.

The obvious reason Farrell held pulling him earlier is to give the bullpen much needed rest.

It's been my worry since early in the season that because of lack of innings by our 3-5 guys, the bullpen would burn out.

Anyone who doesn't realize this, obviously hasn't played any baseball beyond pee-wee league.

There are exceptions amp and tonight was never going to get better, it was obvious from the start.  I know why Farrell did what he did and still disagree.  He was very lucky the offense bailed us out.  By the way I played ball as a catcher from the age of 8 "little league" all the way through my Uconn days which is why I'm one of the only fans who can recognozed how well Lav did tonight defensively.

Those who doubt his defense also don't know much about the game, or see his work ethic compared to Salty at 25.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

There are exceptions amp and tonight was never going to get better, it was obvious from the start.  I know why Farrell did what he did and still disagree.  He was very lucky the offense bailed us out.  By the way I played ball as a catcher from the age of 8 "little league" all the way through my Uconn days which is why I'm one of our only fans who can recognoze how well Lav did tonight defensively.

Go Huskies..

Lavarnway is looking better...much better.

Being an ex-pitcher, I can empathize with overuse.

That being said, I apologize for being so harsh.  It just bothers me when some people don't put the human factor into the equation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

There are exceptions amp and tonight was never going to get better, it was obvious from the start.  I know why Farrell did what he did and still disagree.  He was very lucky the offense bailed us out.  By the way I played ball as a catcher from the age of 8 "little league" all the way through my Uconn days which is why I'm one of our only fans who can recognoze how well Lav did tonight defensively.

Go Huskies..

Lavarnway is looking better...much better.

Being an ex-pitcher, I can sympathize with overuse.

That being said, I apologize for being so harsh.  It just bothers me when some people don't put the human factor into the equation.

I return the apology we both love our team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Excellent job by Alex Wilson getting 6 outs tonight. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Oops...it should be empathize instead of sympathize....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Excellent job by Alex Wilson getting 7 outs tonight. 

No doubt, with our current SP the pen needs to continue pitching well, especially if we don't find a real 3rd starter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

With the help that the bullpen needs, Aceves must REALLY be on thin ice.

If room was needed, that phantom DL is always there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Maybe as the game evolves teams should get rid of of one of the useless .100 hitting bench players and replace that spot with another long reliever.

it will never happen though since baseball is pretty much stuck with a 1940's mind set.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Maybe as the game evolves teams should get rid of of one of the useless .100 hitting bench players and replace that spot with another long reliever.

it will never happen though since baseball is pretty much stuck with a 1940's mind set.

I wish it was stuck in th 1940's, then we wouldn't have the DH which, in my opinion, has diluted the strategy associated with the game.

Yeah, I know, big Popi and all that, but I think the integrity of the game itself was compromised with the change.

The only reason it was initiated was because naive fans were 'bored' with pitching duels and wanted more runs scored.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Completely agree Farrell got this wrong and took Dempster out too soon and overtaxed the bullpen.  Does Farrell have so little faith in the lineups ability to drive in more runs?  Besides, Dempster needed the extra work to get his control back.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

The night before, in a very short schedule, Verlander allowed 8 ERs, Cain 6 ERs, and Chacin 8 ERs.

OK, ok Joe, we get the point and you're correct.  Managers other than Farrell leave their starting pitchers in too long.  Francona did and so does Scioscia, Leyland, and others.  It comes down to not wearing out the bullpen by August.  We all know our problem not.  Our closer is still recovering from a bicep ailment, the other "closer" is gone for the season and we are stretched out.  The problem could be alleviated if someone other than Lester or Buchholz could go more than five innings.  The back end of our rotation is putting tremendous pressure on our bullpen, shorthanded as it already is.  Sometimes you have to play the hand that is dealt you and, frankly I thought Farrell handled it as well as he could tonight.

Now Lackey needs to go deep in the game tomorrow and he needs to pitch well enough for us to both save the pen as much as possible and win at the same time.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I wish it was stuck in th 1940's, then we wouldn't have the DH which, in my opinion, has diluted the strategy associated with the game.

Yeah, I know, big Popi and all that, but I think the integrity of the game itself was compromised with the change.

The only reason it was initiated was because naive fans were 'bored' with pitching duels and wanted more runs scored.

I wish we all could be more like those non naive soccer fans who enjoy a great 1 - nil game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Teams have changed. You need to pay better attention.

In the 1970s when I was growing up during the days of four-man rotations, teams usually had 10 pitchers, two catchers and 13 position players. That gave them a bench of one catcher and five position players.

Now, teams carry 12 pitchers, two catchers and 11 position players. That gives them a bench of one catcher and three position players. So there's hardly a useless player loitering on the bench.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I think it would be great to have the DH in NL parks, and the PITCHER hit in AL parks during Interleague.... 

It also might help the mass of fans who don't pay attention to see the game played the right way, and quicker.... less 3 hour games.

Oh...and another reason is that if we didn't have the DH, then creeps like Clemens wouldn't have been throwing at people without fear of retribution when he came to the plate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I wish we all could be more like those non naive soccer fans who enjoy a great 1 - nil game.

LOL....good one..   Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Farrell explains why he left Dempster in:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/05/19/john-farrell-explains-the-decision-to-leave-in-ryan-dempster/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Complaining about a decision in a game the Sox won by 7 runs?  Only here.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Farrell will make mistakes like every manager will.  Does anybody remember a Red Sox manager who didn't?

Not by the standards set on this board

Sections
Shortcuts