Farrell pulling a Francona

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: Farrell pulling a Francona

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Oh for freak's sake about managers.  Even Farrell himself has said the players play the game and the manager's "coaching" comes down to knowing when to pull a pitcher and subbing the lineup.

You win some, you lose some: Bogaerts for Middelbrooks against Detroit worked superbly. Morales was a disaster.  Gomes worked against Detroit and didn't tonight.  For every good move, there's one that doesn't work out as planned.

Breslow's and Salty's errors are not Farrell's fault.  In the same vein Mueller's tying RBI against Rivera in the 2004 ALCS was not "because of" Francona.

Right now, on to Peavy.  Farrell has ZERO control over how Peavy will perform.  Peavy throws the ball, not Farrell.

We deserved to lose last night no argument there.  My beef is why our manager has forgotten how we got here in the first place.  It wasn't with guys like Morales who hasn't thrown strikes in over a year or guys like Drew and Gomes swinging at air.  It was with a joint effort and two guys in Carp and Nava who should have been in our lineup more.  Drew has played outstanding defense which has certainy helped our cause but there are simple things that could be done to help us put the best possible lineup out there.  Waiting to pinch hit Nava with two outs in the ninth against a guy throwing 98mph was embarrising to watch.  He deserves and has earned to play over Gomes, especially against righties.

As far as Wacha goes?  He may have a record going but nothing I saw last night was anything special other than a quick delivery and decent fastball.  I will be shocked if he doesn't turn out to be an average starter once hitters adjust.   

Wacha is going to be very very good provided he stays healthy.  Can he keep up this ridiculous pace?  Of course not.  But he should be putting up 3.00 ERAs or lower for many years.  If he learns a breaking pitch to go with his fastball and change, he could be one of the best.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Oh, please. We're winning the series, so what does it matter that we didn't win this game? Everyone always has better ideas than the manager, no matter who the manager may be. In this case, it's the guy that got them here in the first place, after being in last place just last season. Give it a rest already. Nobody can do a better job than Farrell has done with this team.

Well said. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Here is what I know about the armchair managers:

1) sometimes they make really excellent points about what mistakes the manager makes.  

2) If put in the position to actually manage a major league game, they would pee their pants and mumble incoherently for nine innings:  the amount of pee and mumble in direct proportion to the lengths they go to in their lambasting of real managers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Oh, please. We're winning the series, so what does it matter that we didn't win this game? Everyone always has better ideas than the manager, no matter who the manager may be. In this case, it's the guy that got them here in the first place, after being in last place just last season. Give it a rest already. Nobody can do a better job than Farrell has done with this team.

How is 1-1 winning the series?

ADG..i think Kim means they are going to win the series...ok basbeall gods, time to put my hex in effect Tongue Out 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I  hope Farrell is pulling a Francona.  That means we'll  win the Series. Twice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I  hope Farrell is pulling a Francona.  That means we'll  win the Series. Twice.

Eh, he already has failed.  If it was Francona, it would be a sweep.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Eh, he already has failed.  If it was Francona, it would be a sweep.

Twice!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I hope Quintin Berry can pull a Dave Roberts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just becuase nobody could do better, doesn't mean Farrell has been perfect and couldn't do better than himself.

I don't pretend to be smarter than John or Ben, but that does not stop me from feeling Nava should have been playing and should start the rest of the games in LF.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Gomes and Drew have done nothing offensively since the PS began.  Nava and Carp were two of our most reliable players from the left side all season.  So why has Farrell has gone from a manager who utilized our deep bench all year to relying on one set lineup?

Farrells weakness as a manager and a Francona type attitude towards favorotism for certain players who don't deserve to be in our lineup may end up being the difference in this series.  We are clearly the better team and there is nothing special in Wacka's pitching, we simply just put the wrong lineup out there again tonight so we desreve to lose this game.

They are both great managers, farrell worst to first, francona 2 rings and a run at the post season with the indians.

They are human and can make mistakes.  I think the sox blew last nights game, I don't blame farrell for poor pitching and bad throws.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Here is what I know about the armchair managers:

1) sometimes they make really excellent points about what mistakes the manager makes.  

2) If put in the position to actually manage a major league game, they would pee their pants and mumble incoherently for nine innings:  the amount of pee and mumble in direct proportion to the lengths they go to in their lambasting of real managers.

LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

ADG..i think Kim means they are going to win the series...ok basbeall gods, time to put my hex in effect Tongue Out 

Right, she is saying we are going to win the series, another way of saying this is we are winning the series.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Does anyone find it odd that the OP is criticizing not only the manager of the year, but the runnerup to the manager of the year?

Or did he mean that as a compliment, since Tito is the best manager of our generation?

I believe that honor goes to Dick Williams by a long shot.

'Of our generation' generally refers to about the last 20 years.  So Dick misses by about 25 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Does anyone find it odd that the OP is criticizing not only the manager of the year, but the runnerup to the manager of the year?

Or did he mean that as a compliment, since Tito is the best manager of our generation?

'Of our generation' generally refers to about the last 20 years.  So Dick misses by about 25 years.

That makes me feel old Cry

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Always amusing to hear folks whose baseball coaching experience reached its pinnacle with Junior's Little League team claiming to know more than guys who spend their entire adult life in the game and are around the players 24/7. Just as dumb as telling a surgeon, "Hey, you waited too long to sew the grafts to the coronary arteries!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

That makes me feel old Cry

It doesn't make me feel old, because I am old

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Always amusing to hear folks whose baseball coaching experience reached its pinnacle with Junior's Little League team claiming to know more than guys who spend their entire adult life in the game and are around the players 24/7. Just as dumb as telling a surgeon, "Hey, you waited too long to sew the grafts to the coronary arteries!"

Dr Dobler to O.R...STAT!! Tongue Out 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Gomes and Drew have done nothing offensively since the PS began.  Nava and Carp were two of our most reliable players from the left side all season.  So why has Farrell has gone from a manager who utilized our deep bench all year to relying on one set lineup?

Farrells weakness as a manager and a Francona type attitude towards favorotism for certain players who don't deserve to be in our lineup may end up being the difference in this series.  We are clearly the better team and there is nothing special in Wacka's pitching, we simply just put the wrong lineup out there again tonight so we desreve to lose this game.

I do like your thinking. We need all hands on deck ... Not a selected few.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Right, she is saying we are going to win the series, another way of saying this is we are winning the series.

i thought those two pieces made it obvious

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

i thought those two pieces made it obvious

Half the posters come in here to bash the RS than to celebrate the fact we are in a best of 5 series for the World Series Championship.

Why would you think anything is obvious to these people?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts