Farrell pulling a Francona

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Farrell pulling a Francona

In response to soups' comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Oh, please. We're winning the series, so what does it matter that we didn't win this game? Everyone always has better ideas than the manager, no matter who the manager may be. In this case, it's the guy that got them here in the first place, after being in last place just last season. Give it a rest already. Nobody can do a better job than Farrell has done with this team.

Well said. 

Thank you, Soups. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

Oh, please. We're winning the series, so what does it matter that we didn't win this game? Everyone always has better ideas than the manager, no matter who the manager may be. In this case, it's the guy that got them here in the first place, after being in last place just last season. Give it a rest already. Nobody can do a better job than Farrell has done with this team.

How is 1-1 winning the series?

ADG..i think Kim means they are going to win the series...ok basbeall gods, time to put my hex in effect Tongue Out 

Yes. And the baseball gods are on my side. Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Just becuase nobody could do better, doesn't mean Farrell has been perfect and couldn't do better than himself.

I don't pretend to be smarter than John or Ben, but that does not stop me from feeling Nava should have been playing and should start the rest of the games in LF.

Hey, I love Nava. I think he's been great. I honestly think he would be a great starter on any other team. It's actually a shame he's on a team that has so many good outfielders. I mean for him, not for us.

Yesterday, I believe, people were questioning pinch hitting for Drew. That was until Farrell said that Drew hurt himself, and that was why. My point is, you don't know on any given day how anyone is doing or feeling. The manager does. To say that Farrell can improve IMO is just expecting perfection all the time. No one is going to be that guy. It's unrealistic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

How is 1-1 winning the series?

ADG..i think Kim means they are going to win the series...ok basbeall gods, time to put my hex in effect Tongue Out 

Right, she is saying we are going to win the series, another way of saying this is we are winning the series.

Yes. Thank you. I honestly thought that was pretty clear. I've only been saying it for weeks. Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

How come you never get removed from the board with your snide and self-delusional remarks? When did it become your private war to defend Farrell from reasonable critiques of his performance as a manager. Give it a rest.

1-As has long been known in common law, truth is defense against libel.  I've long wondered why I've never gotten banned, and why none of my posts have ever been deleted.  Coming from The Bronx, and being of Irish heritage, I can be extremely sarcastic.  But I assume that, as long as I can back up what I say, the mods figure that I am in the right.

2-If one comes into a RS site to criticize both past and present RS managers, then is it not acceptable for RS fans to defend their manager(s)?  You shared your opinion of Farrell, and so did I.

3-And my opinion is that Farrell is the Manager of the Year, with Tito as the runnerup.  Thank you again for the opportunity to bring this up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

What exactly is "Pulling a Francona"?

Is it managing games against the advice of critics who think they are his equal despite only using hindsight as a basis for their criticisms?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Is it managing games against the advice of critics who think they are his equal despite only using hindsight as a basis for their criticisms?

Except for the crazies like BV, every manager in BB knows 10x as much as the smartest fan.  I like to dig into the stats and all, but that's only to how close I come to what a manager might decide.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Except for the crazies like BV, every manager in BB knows 10x as much as the smartest fan.  I like to dig into the stats and all, but that's only to how close I come to what a manager might decide.

Be fair to BV.  He does know baseball infinitely better than any of us.  And always wil.

He does have egocentric tendencies to think it is always about him and was a poor fit in Boston.  But despite his season of questionable moves and attitudes, he is not our equal.

And I suppose just like hitters, pitchers and fielders, it is possible to have a bad season as a manager..

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Actually, Nava was more the guy that "got them here" than Gomes. Farrell picked the human element over stats. Hes now going with the stats. I dont see any issues with his lineups for the playoffs. Hes not perfect, but he has shown that he can, and will adapt and make some tough moves.

to the OP. "pulling a Francona" is very stale. Can we please move on. The guy hasnt been here for 2 years now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

If some of these people who seem to know more about managing a baseball team than Farrell does, had access to one fiftieth of the information he does, the Sox would never lose a game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Does anyone find it odd that the OP is criticizing not only the manager of the year, but the runnerup to the manager of the year?

Or did he mean that as a compliment, since Tito is the best manager of our generation?

No.

You must be very proud to be a Red Sox fan, having our faith in Farrell and Tito restored.  It is a great moment for all RS that both are being honored.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Oh for freak's sake about managers.  Even Farrell himself has said the players play the game and the manager's "coaching" comes down to knowing when to pull a pitcher and subbing the lineup.

You win some, you lose some: Bogaerts for Middelbrooks against Detroit worked superbly. Morales was a disaster.  Gomes worked against Detroit and didn't tonight.  For every good move, there's one that doesn't work out as planned.

Breslow's and Salty's errors are not Farrell's fault.  In the same vein Mueller's tying RBI against Rivera in the 2004 ALCS was not "because of" Francona.

Right now, on to Peavy.  Farrell has ZERO control over how Peavy will perform.  Peavy throws the ball, not Farrell.

But he does have 100% control over who catches Peavy tonight, and the correct move would be Ross, who has the both the better chance of keeping Peavy in the game and making contact at the plate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Actually, Nava was more the guy that "got them here" than Gomes. Farrell picked the human element over stats. Hes now going with the stats. I dont see any issues with his lineups for the playoffs. Hes not perfect, but he has shown that he can, and will adapt and make some tough moves.

to the OP. "pulling a Francona" is very stale. Can we please move on. The guy hasnt been here for 2 years now.

The guy that "got them here" in my post was Farrell not Gomes. It's funny, I type just like I'm talking, and everyone is misunderstanding what I say in my posts. LOL I don't know what that means.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Oh for freak's sake about managers.  Even Farrell himself has said the players play the game and the manager's "coaching" comes down to knowing when to pull a pitcher and subbing the lineup.

You win some, you lose some: Bogaerts for Middelbrooks against Detroit worked superbly. Morales was a disaster.  Gomes worked against Detroit and didn't tonight.  For every good move, there's one that doesn't work out as planned.

Breslow's and Salty's errors are not Farrell's fault.  In the same vein Mueller's tying RBI against Rivera in the 2004 ALCS was not "because of" Francona.

Right now, on to Peavy.  Farrell has ZERO control over how Peavy will perform.  Peavy throws the ball, not Farrell.

But he does have 100% control over who catches Peavy tonight, and the correct move would be Ross, who has the both the better chance of keeping Peavy in the game and making contact at the plate.

I agree with that, and I think Ross was going to be playing. Don't know what happened.

Sections
Shortcuts