Farrell v. Valentine

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Farrell v. Valentine

Totally forced but somewhat sincere?   hahaha.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

i dont think he wanted to be out there but i think he felt bad about the way it came out...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

i dont think he wanted to be out there but i think he felt bad about the way it came out...

OK, fair enough.  Subjectivity is subjectivity.  he looked perfectly comfortable out there and sounded completely sincere to me.

I also believe that, because I believe he was sincere in being accountable for his poor performance, he was frustrated by the poor performace.  And then, piled on top of that, frustrated by getting pummeled in the media (part and parcel to being a ballplayer, especially in Boston, so I am not calling 'Poor Jon', comes with the territory), he said some stupid a$& s*&t the other day.

I just don't lend as much weight to those stupid a$& comments as you have chosen to do.  In fact, i give them practically zero weight, other than in an "ooph, he is going to get hammered for saying that stupid a$& s*&t" way which probably caused, as you suggest, the FO or Farrell or, who knows, maybe David Ortiz, to say "hey jonny, that was some stupid a$& s*^t you said.  Why don't you get the press boys together and sort that out".  So he did, saying what seemed to me to be some straight-talk, stand-up stuff.  Which, to be honest, i don't  care too much about either.  

I just have heard ball players, athletes, in the limelight say some stupid a$& s*^t out of frustration before.  I generally don't lend it much credence.  It is an easy pitfall when you make your living in a highly competitive arena under heavy scrutiny.  Hardly a sin and one that doesn't need my forgiveness.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to selenium's comment:

In your study hall room, why not pass out copies of the WEEI interview from a few days ago to the students and ask them to read it, comprehend it in totality and context and then write their opinions. After they are finished, pass out a copy of what your opinions were from here and have them critique it. You might learn something. Don't take their responses personally however. It sounds like a great excercise for a history teacher to do with his students.

they would agree with me...they are sharp

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I am not impressed by Farrell either.  But the players seem to like him so why not go that route.  He obviously knows about pitching and he will handle the media better then Bobby.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

I was not impressed by the hire of last place JF by the Sox that actually cost us Aviles. He was part of the Francona Club-Med years and I expected little from him.....

however....

I think that he will be the pitching whisperer that the pitchers need to improve their dismal 2012 performance (as much as he can) and more importantly, I think he will straighten out this group of remaining 2011 ingrates like Lester. Look at how quickly Lester turned it around from his WEEI interview a couple days ago. Im sure upper management wasnt pleased but getting Lester out there to give that mea culpa was all JF (which was totally forced butsomewhat sincere imo)

No more whining on the mound was the big part of the new Lester speech. Stepping up and leading...good stuff. I'm thinking this never wouldve been corrected if Bobby Valentine were still at the helm. He either would told Lester that everyone can f off and he shouldnt have to apologize, or if he did try, Lester would not have done it. It's apparent that lester respects and listen to farrell...thoughts?

Don't just look at John's managing, hopefully that will improve with time.  I look at Farrell possibly having more of an impact on the staff and in the clubhouse.  I think he will manage as well or better than Bobby V. and Francona when he came aboard but with a less talented "but happier" team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'm very pleased with Farrell as our manager, but he, or anyone else who the Sox might have hired, is not going to single handedly be the savior to this team after 2012.  

That said, I think he will do a very good job and I know that he will be a big improvement over Valentine.  I feel like he has the trust and respect of his players, which was something that was sorely lacking last season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I'm very pleased with Farrell as our manager, but he, or anyone else who the Sox might have hired, is not going to single handedly be the savior to this team after 2012.  

That said, I think he will do a very good job and I know that he will be a big improvement over Valentine.  I feel like he has the trust and respect of his players, which was something that was sorely lacking last season.

Yupppp!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It really doesnt matter what JF did or didnt do in toronto. It matter how THIS team responds to him. So far so good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

From what little I've heard, it's positive.  No one here has much of an idea about what Farrell is all about.  But he seems to be sticking to BB commentary, and keeping his comments to a minimum.  It seems like he is intent on this being all about BB, instead of the circus we saw last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I am not impressed by Farrell either.  But the players seem to like him so why not go that route.  He obviously knows about pitching and he will handle the media better then Bobby.

I do not blame Farrell for Toronto's poor season.  The Blue Jays lost three starters in a four-day span and then they lost Bautista. 

Before Bautista got injured, I think the Blue Jays were second in the AL in runs scored (behind the Yankees).

Like the Red Sox, the Blue Jays dealt with a lot of injuries. 

Anyway, you are right--Farrell will handle the media better than Bobby. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

From what little I've heard, it's positive.  No one here has much of an idea about what Farrell is all about.  But he seems to be sticking to BB commentary, and keeping his comments to a minimum.  It seems like he is intent on this being all about BB, instead of the circus we saw last year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/02/with_farrell_th.html

from the article:

In new manager John Farrell, the Red Sox are placing a safer bet. Today, as the team went through its first full-squad workout, the difference in style was hard to miss.

When third base coach Brian Butterfield gathered a group of players around him to explain a base-running drill, Farrell stood five feet away listening. In the bullpen, Farrell only occasionally interjected his opinion to a pitcher. He left it to pitching coach Juan Nieves to say the most.

Unlike last season, you had to look around to find the manager, not listen.

I like what i'm hearing about Farrell so far. unlike BV he is allowing his coaches to coach and not contradicting them

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Valentine was set up to fail.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Valentine set himself up to fail.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Little did anyone know that he needed no help.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you selenium.   :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to selenium's comment:

How many of us would read either article and go down to the local pub, to the office, or elsewhere to vent how much we hate Jon Lester. Should we let a few words uttered during an interview ruin our compassion for the game and hopes for the coming season? Wouldn't it make Georom and ADG better fans if they read less. Do you hate family members because they misspoke several times, must they be perfect.  Of course not and neither does Georom. As Moonslav said; Geo comes here for comic relief. But Geo does it 24/7 which would indicate that he is pretending / trolling. He enjoys creating conflict, stirring the pot, and annoying Red Sox fans. It doesn't sound at all like a Red Sox fan to me.

Sounds like you.

How did that post, that had nothing abusive in it get removed and yet Triumph is still here with his one-line insult routine? A Yankee troll marches on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

This whole idea that when a player doesn't do well they deserve to be abused is something I don't get. I don't believe any player goes out on the field intending to perform badly. I'm sure they are just as upset as anyone else -- if not more. The fact that some "fans" feel they should be ashamed and apologetic is ridiculous. They do the best they can. There's no way a guy who has dedicated his entire life to baseball and perfecting his craft goes out in front of millions of fans and just says "I don't care what happens", which is the impression I get from posts like this. 

I hope Lester does not become Geo's new "Beckett" obsession.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

This whole idea that when a player doesn't do well they deserve to be abused is something I don't get. I don't believe any player goes out on the field intending to perform badly. I'm sure they are just as upset as anyone else -- if not more. The fact that some "fans" feel they should be ashamed and apologetic is ridiculous. They do the best they can. There's no way a guy who has dedicated his entire life to baseball and perfecting his craft goes out in front of millions of fans and just says "I don't care what happens", which is the impression I get from posts like this. 

I hope Lester does not become Geo's new "Beckett" obsession.

So this should be like little league and reward players on effort?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

I can't possibly express the breath of fresh air Farrell provides in comparison to his predecessor!  Yes!  Bobby V. never had a chance coming into the dysfunction of the 2012 team, but it is beyond arguable whether or not he made a bad situation far worse.  Bobby V's time had long since come and gone.  Not only did he command zero respect, but he was a clown to boot.  The clownish bobby v show became a joke within weeks of STing & got progressively worse as the season dragged on.  A constant barrage of self-inflicted, foot in the mouth comments ALL YEAR LONG sealed the deal on a disasterous season.  Perhaps no manager could have brought last year's team together, but bobby v was so obviously one of the biggest clowns in a circus show.

As for this season, Farrell is the one guy in this organization who gives me hope.  I guess we will find out pretty soon whether or not the respect factor, which he so obviously commands, translates to winning on the field?  We will see whether or not the trust and admiration factor Farrell brings can yeild dividends on the field??? 

Two things are certain!

1)  The clown factor is GONE!  & that can't be anything but a positive!!!

2)  Having a manager that the players admire, respect, and trust is always a good thing!

Now.....  Will this be enough to spur the SR to pitch up to & perhaps beyond their capabilities???  We shall see....  I'm praying it makes a difference.  Will the respect, trust, and admiration these players have for Farrell help this team to gel, & help the hodgepodge of new second tier guys step up & play at a high level???  It certainly can't hurt!

I personally think Farrell is the perfect manager for this rebuilding / bridge year / years era!  I think he's the key to getting to most out of our guys!  Whatever the case may be, I'm excited to watch :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I personally think Farrell is the perfect manager for this rebuilding / bridge year / years era!  I think he's the key to getting to most out of our guys!  Whatever the case may be, I'm excited to watch :)

No matter what else happens, I am taking off opening day to watch the game in the local pub.  For people that love the game, and love their team, everything starts anew on opening day.

Sections
Shortcuts