Farrell/Webster & Jays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Farrell/Webster & Jays

Farrell's reasoning for Webster pitching again tonight was the fact the kid pitched well against their make shift lineup in ST which makes little to no sense.  Will he look like a complete fool or genius after the game? 

The Jays have played great ball but I still pick them to come in the bottom three in our division.  With that said, if their pen continues to have this kind of success it could greatly increase their chances.  Same can be said with our club, I think we need to find this kind of success in with our SP and the pen to remain on top. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Farrell/Webster & Jays

Then again , someone who questions Farrell could end up looking like a fool, also.

If the "kid" pitches well, regardless of whether the Sox win, I will expect an apology to John Farrell.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

The kid has great stuff I just think his confidence has been shaken a little bit. He pitched well vs the Tigers after the first inning...if he can do that again minus the grand slam he ought to be able to keep the team in the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

the line on Webster

12IP 19H 16R 5HR 2.083WHIP 4.5BB/9 11.25ERA

yeah.  I'm not seeing any apologies to Farell in the forseeable future on this one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Webster looks good in his first start, horrible in the second and the the he starts off horrible then pitches a good game after the first.  He is still working on his control.  His AAA stats are impressive, if you look at his game logs you can see that sometimes he walks a lot of guys.  I think if you plugged him into the rotation it would be a mixed bag.  He might go out and give you 7+ or he might walk 4-5 guys and go 3-5 innigns.

Which I could honestly live with in the back of the rotation for the league minimum.  Actually relatively speaking he would be an above average back of the rotation guy and if he hones in his control he could be a #2 #3 guy.  Hopefully he rises to the challenge tonight. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Then again , someone who questions Farrell could end up looking like a fool, also.

If the "kid" pitches well, regardless of whether the Sox win, I will expect an apology to John Farrell.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

Really an apology to Farrell Zill?  Remember a kid named Weiland who pitched well in the minors then lost six or seven crucial games for us before deciding to make a change?  Back then we really didn't have much on the farm, now we do along with Aceves and every game counts in the this division. 

I wish the best for Farrells pick tonight so we can keep increasing our lead but if Webster struggles again its time to re-think things.  I just think his reasoning was quite funny win or lose tonight. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Webster looks good in his first start, horrible in the second and the the he starts off horrible then pitches a good game after the first.  He is still working on his control.  His AAA stats are impressive, if you look at his game logs you can see that sometimes he walks a lot of guys.  I think if you plugged him into the rotation it would be a mixed bag.  He might go out and give you 7+ or he might walk 4-5 guys and go 3-5 innigns.

Which I could honestly live with in the back of the rotation for the league minimum.  Actually relatively speaking he would be an above average back of the rotation guy and if he hones in his control he could be a #2 #3 guy.  Hopefully he rises to the challenge tonight. 

Aceves has pitched very well recently in spot starts so I'm sure he must be shaking his head.  Some people wonder why Aceves gets upset easily, it may have a little to do with the fact our FO never lets him settle into anything very long.

My guess is Alfredo needs to continue pitching because hes going to be much more important down the stretch than a kid who isn't really any better than our other top prospects.  With that said, I also understand the importance of developing a young pitcher sooner rather than later so I wish him luck.

Just don't bring Bailey in tonight with any less than a three run lead.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Im not really condfident in Webster. I was at the last start he had against the Tigers at Comarica Park last Sat. and he looked awful. He got lit up in the first 3 innings and didnt last very long. His 11.50 era in his 3 starts is not very comforting. If he gets through 5 tonight I will be happy but Im not expecting miracles from the kid. I was conceding this game to the Jays as soon as I seen the pitching matchups for the series. Hopefully he proves me wrong. Lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

Im not really condfident in Webster. I was at the last start he had against the Tigers at Comarica Park last Sat. and he looked awful. He got lit up in the first 3 innings and didnt last very long. His 11.50 era in his 3 starts is not very comforting. If he gets through 5 tonight I will be happy but Im not expecting miracles from the kid. I was conceding this game to the Jays as soon as I seen the pitching matchups for the series. Hopefully he proves me wrong. Lol

As long as Farrell knows when to pull the leash with Webster "if needed" I'm fine with it.  We can't afford to be loyal to any of our starters or guys like Bailey in a close pennant race if they can't get the job done on a fairly consistent basis.  Same with Middy, Gomes etc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ill be thrilled if an 18th round pick (Webster) turns out to be a middle of the rotation pitcher. He has the stuff to be a TOTR pitcher though. Hes still got some work to do. Its his 1st 1/2 season in AAA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ill be thrilled if an 18th round pick (Webster) turns out to be a middle of the rotation pitcher. He has the stuff to be a TOTR pitcher though. Hes still got some work to do. Its his 1st 1/2 season in AAA.

I think we all would southpaw, it's been years since a good young starter came out of the farm and we could certainly use as much insurance as possible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Sox didn't draft him though, they acquired him through trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

The Sox didn't draft him though, they acquired him through trade.

I know Joe, just meant our farm in general not just Boston picks. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Alfredo is a problem child and I bet that's why NY wanted nothing to do with him.  This is pure speculation but I wonder if the Sox promised to keep I'm in the starters role and explore trades with destinations that would give I'm thatopportunity....I say he's goes by the all starbreak.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I am seeing an awful lot of " ifs" here in discussing Webster's chances tonight. He needs to show a little more velocity, a lot more command and a whole lot more confidence. Otherwise , he will get hit and hit hard. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yup, we need to get used to breaking in SPs.  How many of the posters also wanted to get rid of AA and Doubront?  The only to develop them is to let them play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Alfredo is a problem child and I bet that's why NY wanted nothing to do with him.  This is pure speculation but I wonder if the Sox promised to keep I'm in the starters role and explore trades with destinations that would give I'm thatopportunity....I say he's goes by the all starbreak.

That could be why Webster is starting.

1-You want to find out if he is reliable as a #6.

2-AA's value has peaked.  If Nolasco is watched, why not Aceves?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to teamguy's comment:

the line on Webster

yeah.  I'm not seeing any apologies to Farell in the forseeable future on this one.

Key number: 12 IP.

Making definitive judgements on small sample sizes is illogical. Making them on tiny sample sizes is lunacy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

the line on Webster

Making definitive judgements on small sample sizes is illogical. Making them on tiny sample sizes is lunacy.

Well so far Farrell is about to do both things I didn't want to see.  Leaving Webster in too long and warming up Bailey with another one run lead.  Its like watching the same movie over and over hoping for a better finish.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

the line on Webster

Well so far Farrell is about to do both things I didn't want to see.  Leaving Webster in too long and warming up Bailey with another one run lead.  Its like watching the same movie over and over hoping for a better finish.

Game tied, another great move Farrell but at least you yanked them both and we still have a chance to win. 

Unbelievable!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

Moonslav..  Thanks for the measured and considerate response. (Sarcasm)

irregardless of the sample size, it is what we have.

firstly, I didn't make a definitive judgment, I made a statement of opinion to which we are all entitled, are we not?

just because a sample is small does not mean it is irrelevant. To say it is would be illogical As well.

it is also the fact that over that small sample his performance was consistently sub par.  Is that irrelevant as well?

and the fifth inning meltdown tonight.  Is that irrelevant as well?

did we see enought tonight to reverse the overwhelming opinion that this guy isn't really ready? I don't think so, but maybe you do. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

the line on Webster

I was pretty sure Farrell said Bailey would be spared pressure situations for the time being? I think we can count ourselves lucky that he only coughed up the one run.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moonslav..  Thanks for the measured and considerate response. (Sarcasm)

irregardless of the sample size, it is what we have.

firstly, I didn't make a definitive judgment, I made a statement of opinion to which we are all entitled, are we not?

just because a sample is small does not mean it is irrelevant. To say it is would be illogical As well.

it is also the fact that over that small sample his performance was consistently sub par.  Is that irrelevant as well?

and the fifth inning meltdown tonight.  Is that irrelevant as well?

did we see enought tonight to reverse the overwhelming opinion that this guy isn't really ready? I don't think so, but maybe you do. 

Although I responded to your post, I did not mean to imply you were the one making definitive judgements based on 12 IP.

Yes, it is a fact that his performance over a tiny sample size has been poor, and yes, the 5th inning meltdown was relevant, but no, the sample size is still too small to know if he is "ready" yet or not.

The problem is, we are a team in contention and giving him more time may not be an option. The same was true with JBJ. The situations were different with Iggy and Pedey of yesteryear, but they had to get a longer look to show their stuff.

Sorry for implying you were making rash judgements.

(Side note: I'm not sure why he wasn't yanked after the 4 pitch BB to Bonafacio.)

Sections
Shortcuts