FA's one of my favorite time of the year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

FA's one of my favorite time of the year

Hot dog we won the championship, congrats to all of the Red Sox organization and it's fans.  Wow what a year!!  Now let's get to work and start making some of the many decisions that need to be made.  I would first make QO to all of our FA.  I don't think that Ells will accept and that some other team will offer him a rediculous contract, great for him, thanks for everything, take the extra pick.  I would try to re-sign Drew his deffense is solid and he can hit, I would keep Xander at 3B.  I would offer Naps a two year deal with a vesting 3rd year, with protection of course with an average of 13 million per, no more to many strikeouts.  I would offer Salty a QA, I like him but his defense is a liabilty, we need to get better. 

So the only player that I really want to keep is Drew, he is solid and steady.  I like covet the Alanta cather Mccans he makes the most since for us. he can DH his later years.

I would not trade any of our SP, Dourbront and Workman can be our stretch guys for one more year, next year they both step in the rotation.  You never have enough SP.

We have to trust the kids that our coming up,  I would not have a problem with Middlebrooks and carp at first maybe after a couple of season mccans could play there. 

I know I will get hammered for this but let's have some fun.  I wan this team to keep getting younger>  This was a fun year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: FA's one of my favorite time of the year

The Sox are unlikely to pursue McCann.  Last year they would not surrender second round draft pic / slot money.  No reason to think they are going to give up first round equivalents.

I hate to be the spolier,b ut here is how it will play out.  The Sox will sign some guys no one wants and fans will complain they are no good and overpaid for it, headlined by softlaw.  Of course, the offseason will start with them signing several players to minor league deals.  Fans (notably seabeachfred) will complain they should not be doing this and it makes no sense, etc.   Despite that they do it every year, along with all the other teams.

And some of these guys will work out.  Some will not.   Some fans (headlined by andrewmitch) will cling to the failures as a sign Cherington should not be trusted to make certain types of deals.   Likely none of them minor league guys will do much.

Hope I did not ruin it for you.   It will be slow going.  The big name FA's won't sign until after the winter meetings, and Ellsbury likely into January before agreeing anywhere...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

In response to notin's comment:

The Sox are unlikely to pursue McCann.  Last year they would not surrender second round draft pic / slot money.  No reason to think they are going to give up first round equivalents.

I hate to be the spolier,b ut here is how it will play out.  The Sox will sign some guys no one wants and fans will complain they are no good and overpaid for it, headlined by softlaw.  Of course, the offseason will start with them signing several players to minor league deals.  Fans (notably seabeachfred) will complain they should not be doing this and it makes no sense, etc.   Despite that they do it every year, along with all the other teams.

And some of these guys will work out.  Some will not.   Some fans (headlined by andrewmitch) will cling to the failures as a sign Cherington should not be trusted to make certain types of deals.   Likely none of them minor league guys will do much.

Hope I did not ruin it for you.   It will be slow going.  The big name FA's won't sign until after the winter meetings, and Ellsbury likely into January before agreeing anywhere...

Thank's for posting, I was just dreaming a little, I don't see them going after any of the big names either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hope people realize that along determination and talent, it takes a little luck to win it all.

These are some of the crazy things that happened which could be called "lucky" or maybe it was fate:

Hanrahan and Bailey are unable to complete the season. Lucky?....does this team win without Uehara closing?

Iglesias plays at 3rdbase in midseason while Middlebrooks struggles.....surprise!!!! he does know how to hit. Even though he becomes the cantral piece of the big trade his contribution to the team's offense id remarkable and extremely important....John Henry, save a championship ring for this man, he deserves one just like they gave one to Nomar for 2004. Without Iglesias' unexpected offense, does the team even get to the World Series?

Brandon Workman ( a pitcher that didn't figure to be in MLB in 2013 is brought in due to Farrell's displeasure with Aceves) matures quickly and not only fills a hole in the rotation, but fills a hole in the bullpen. Farrell trusts the young man with the ball in postseason, and he doesn't let him down.  If Aceves stays and Workman remains in AA do we still win?

Jonny Gomes replaces Victorino in St. Louis and delivers a 3-run game winning homer. If Victorino plays ( with a bad back) do the Red Sox win this crucial game?

David Ross barrels into the Detroit catcher Avila, adding insult to injury, if Ross does not collide with Avila and essentially render him almost useless for the rest of the series, do the Sox get past Detroit?

These are only a few examples of how twists of fate can result in victory or defeat.

Maybe next year , Cherrington builds a better team, a team that looks very impressive on paper...none of us complain, in fact we applaud his efforts....and the team doesn't win a single playoff game.

So, we can speculate and play GM. We can argue and fuss about who they should bring in, who they should resign and who they should bring up. And none of it matters if fate deals us unsurmountable obstacles.

This team was dealt obstacles, in the end, they were mostly blessings in disguise.

The chances of it happening again are extremely slim.

If you followed this team all year, you witnessed something similar to Halley's Comet....don't expect it again....but then again, maybe lightning can strike twice. That's why we watch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I know I will get hammered for this but let's have some fun.  I wan this team to keep getting younger>  This was a fun year.

I agree 100%.  I'm a big fan of trying to get younger after you win, rather than try to capture lightening in a bottle.  We won this year because we let OCab and Pedro go after 2004.  Workman got here because we let Bay walk.

I'd like to remain competitive for 2014, but I don't need to win a championship every year.  I'd be real happy if Ells and Drew declined a QO, we get younger with LBL and Bogaerts, and pick up two more high picks.  And, if we win 92 instead of 97, I'm still a happy camper/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I hope people realize that along determination and talent, it takes a little luck to win it all.

These are some of the crazy things that happened which could be called "lucky" or maybe it was fate:

Hanrahan and Bailey are unable to complete the season. Lucky?....does this team win without Uehara closing?

Iglesias plays at 3rdbase in midseason while Middlebrooks struggles.....surprise!!!! he does know how to hit. Even though he becomes the cantral piece of the big trade his contribution to the team's offense id remarkable and extremely important....John Henry, save a championship ring for this man, he deserves one just like they gave one to Nomar for 2004. Without Iglesias' unexpected offense, does the team even get to the World Series?

Brandon Workman ( a pitcher that didn't figure to be in MLB in 2013 is brought in due to Farrell's displeasure with Aceves) matures quickly and not only fills a hole in the rotation, but fills a hole in the bullpen. Farrell trusts the young man with the ball in postseason, and he doesn't let him down.  If Aceves stays and Workman remains in AA do we still win?

Jonny Gomes replaces Victorino in St. Louis and delivers a 3-run game winning homer. If Victorino plays ( with a bad back) do the Red Sox win this crucial game?

David Ross barrels into the Detroit catcher Avila, adding insult to injury, if Ross does not collide with Avila and essentially render him almost useless for the rest of the series, do the Sox get past Detroit?

These are only a few examples of how twists of fate can result in victory or defeat.

Maybe next year , Cherrington builds a better team, a team that looks very impressive on paper...none of us complain, in fact we applaud his efforts....and the team doesn't win a single playoff game.

So, we can speculate and play GM. We can argue and fuss about who they should bring in, who they should resign and who they should bring up. And none of it matters if fate deals us unsurmountable obstacles.

This team was dealt obstacles, in the end, they were mostly blessings in disguise.

If you followed this team all year, you witnessed something similar to Halley's Comet....don't expect it again....but then again, maybe lightning can strike twice. That's why we watch.

Great post ZILLY ......  As DAD would say .......  "SON, that is what BASEBALL is all about !!!!    Now lets all set our clocks back, get ready for winter & keep the HOT STOVE board COOKING !!!!   What a season to remember !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I agree 100%.  I'm a big fan of trying to get younger after you win, rather than try to capture lightening in a bottle.  We won this year because we let OCab and Pedro go after 2004.  Workman got here because we let Bay walk.

I'd like to remain competitive for 2014, but I don't need to win a championship every year.  I'd be real happy if Ells and Drew declined a QO, we get younger with LBL and Bogaerts, and pick up two more high picks.  And, if we win 92 instead of 97, I'm still a happy camper/

''I'd like to remain competitive for 2014, but I don't need to win a championship every year.''

I'm with you on that one. As long as the team has heart, it'll be fun to watch.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

This team has shown that you don't need big name players to win a championship. I couldn't be more grateful for that. I would take gamers over flash any day. More fun to watch, and more not into being the non-existant "I" in team. I value pitching and defense over offense. Yes, I know Papi is the MVP, but without those other two variables, it wouldn't matter.

Seeing how the Red Sox organization put this team together, and won it all with them, I have total confidence that they know what to do, and what not to do.

FTR I'm also in the camp of not having to win again next season. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if they can do it again. Along with acquiring Farrell, they certainly can put a winning team together.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The first big named player that signs elsewhere, some yahoo will start a thread saying, "Why is Ben sitting on his hands..."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The first big named player that signs elsewhere, some yahoo will start a thread saying, "Why is Ben sitting on his hands..."

Don't you just know that. lol At least there's ammunition now to show how ridiculous those threads really are. They have no power here now.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:

I prefer to win championships every year; the same attitude that Yankee fans have. The SOX should do everything in their power to help make this a possibility. Number 1 priority for this to have any chance of happening is to re-sign Ells. JBJ is nowhere near ready to replace Ells. Salty, Naps and Drew can be replaced, Ell's can not. I wouldn't even offer Salty a QO. Between Naps and Drew, I'd prefer keeping Drew.

I think most will agree that they prefer to win, they just dont expect it. What I expect, is a dropoff in wins next year. Especially if they go with JBJ, Xander, and WMB starting as well as a new catcher. Thats 3 up the middle positions with young players. You have to expect a few issues with that alone. I still can see 90 wins, but fighting for 1st place in the ALE will be a bit more challenging next year.

As long as they field a competetive team, Im good. Anything can happen in 162 games, but BC knew how important depth was. We should be good going forward with Ben leading the way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

LOL, moon. He better get going, only 107 days until pitchers and catchers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Many of these things that you call "lucky", I would attribute to the amount of depth this team had.  One player goes down with an injury or because he is underperforming, someone else always stepped it up.

That said, there is far more luck or randomness in baseball than most people realize.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

As far as the offseason goes, I really hate this time of the year.  LOL

For one, there is no Red Sox baseball to watch.  For two, all of these rumors about who is getting traded, who the Red Sox are signing, etc. drives me crazy.  The emotional roller coaster is almost as bad and the during the baseball season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Right on! 

here is what the creator of the MLBTR has predicted on top 50 FAs and their destination.  

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/2014-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions-1.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUO]

No doubt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to tvfrank's comment:

I prefer to win championships every year; the same attitude that Yankee fans have. The SOX should do everything in their power to help make this a possibility. Number 1 priority for this to have any chance of happening is to re-sign Ells. JBJ is nowhere near ready to replace Ells. Salty, Naps and Drew can be replaced, Ell's can not. I wouldn't even offer Salty a QO. Between Naps and Drew, I'd prefer keeping Drew.

I think most will agree that they prefer to win, they just dont expect it. What I expect, is a dropoff in wins next year. Especially if they go with JBJ, Xander, and WMB starting as well as a new catcher. Thats 3 up the middle positions with young players. You have to expect a few issues with that alone. I still can see 90 wins, but fighting for 1st place in the ALE will be a bit more challenging next year.

As long as they field a competetive team, Im good. Anything can happen in 162 games, but BC knew how important depth was. We should be good going forward with Ben leading the way.

We have 4 major holes to fill:

C

CF/RF

1B

SS/3B

I seriosly doubt we leave 3 of these to in-house solutions:

C: Ross/Lava/Butler/Vazquez

CF/RF: Victorino/JBJ/Nava/Brentz

1B: Middy/Carp/Nava/Papi

3B: Bogey/Middy or SS Bogey/Holt

We may just go with one in-house solution, and that would be Bogey at 3B or SS.

My guess is we go light at 1-2 slots, like OF with McClouth, DeJesus or Ruggiano or C with Suzuki or AJ Pierz., but we will probably not leave these slots totally in the hands of the youngsters.

Ben may opt for more "chemistry" type players, instead of big named guys, but I'd like to see us get Beltran or Choo or trade for Stanton as well as bring Salty and Napoli back. If Naps walks, I'd like to see Drew back and move Bogey to 3B and Middy to 1B to fight with Carp and Nava for PAs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

As far as the offseason goes, I really hate this time of the year.  LOL

For one, there is no Red Sox baseball to watch.  For two, all of these rumors about who is getting traded, who the Red Sox are signing, etc. drives me crazy.  The emotional roller coaster is almost as bad and the during the baseball season.

I love this time of year, especially after a losing season as the hopes of improving the team helps me forget the no ring season, but after a championship and with 4 big free agents ready to bolt, there is a lot of anxiety going into this winter.

Sections
Shortcuts