FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!

no worries bill, the ball is coming out of his hand real good...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Totally not that his last three games were good or anything. Bill you really are a terrible fan.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

Bill,dad's gonna put you up for adoption if you don't mend your ways....be afraid,be very afraid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]Totally not that his last three games were good or anything. Bill you really are a terrible fan.
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

Bill has more of a point than you give him credit for.  Beckett has a 9 ERA in the 1st inning this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!:
    [QUOTE] BECKETT$ and those 1st inning starts are killing !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

5 games, 4 effective starts, 1 sh*t "fan".  Get a clue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

Another quality start from Beckett.
    Sad news for you and dad Bill.
    Your repetitive childlike rants put you in the andrewbitch/softy club.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!! : Bill has more of a point than you give him credit for.  Beckett has a 9 ERA in the 1st inning this year. Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] The far more important stat is how many he gives up per 6 or 7 innings. Bill knows nothing about baseball except fatcats

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!": The far more important stat is how many he gives up per 6 or 7 innings. Bill knows nothing about baseball except fatcats
    I completely agree, but Bill isn't wrong when he says that Beckett has struggled in the 1st inning this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!! : Bill has more of a point than you give him credit for.  Beckett has a 9 ERA in the 1st inning this year.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Wanna know how much that means?  That translates to an ERA of 1.00 over a nine inning game.  Neither of which means anything. 

Wow.  Talk about cherry-picking! :-((

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!! : Bill has more of a point than you give him credit for.  Beckett has a 9 ERA in the 1st inning this year.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    maybe  he should come in the second inning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!! : maybe  he should come in the second inning.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Or maybe he needs to adjust his pregame routine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!! : Wanna know how much that means?  That translates to an ERA of 1.00 over a nine inning game.  Neither of which means anything.  Wow.  Talk about cherry-picking! :-((
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]
    First let me say, his first inning ERA is actually 10.80, not 9.  I'm not quite sure how I made that mistake, but let's set it straight.

Anyway...

Not cherry picking at all, at least not by what I consider cherry picking.  Let me explain...

If we were talking about any inning say 2-6 then it would be a form of cherry picking since it would largely be based on little more than coincidence.  But the 1st inning is very different, especially when a pitch has a 10.80 ERA in the 1st and an ERA of 2.30 in all other innings.  The reason that it's different is because there are actions that can be taken when this pattern is emerging, it's something that Farrell was pretty good at fixing.  It wasn't uncommon to have starters throw a simulated inning out of the pen for a couple games prior to going out for the first inning.  At various times, Buchholz, Lester and Dice have all had to do this.  I'd give it a couple more games to be sure, but it seems as though Beckett needs a small adjustment to his pre game routine.  Once he settles in, he's been lights out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!! : First let me say, his first inning ERA is actually 10.80, not 9.  I'm not quite sure how I made that mistake, but let's set it straight. Anyway... Not cherry picking at all, at least not by what I consider cherry picking.  Let me explain... If we were talking about any inning say 2-6 then it would be a form of cherry picking since it would largely be based on little more than coincidence.  But the 1st inning is very different, especially when a pitch has a 10.80 ERA in the 1st and an ERA of 2.30 in all other innings.  The reason that it's different is because there are actions that can be taken when this pattern is emerging, it's something that Farrell was pretty good at fixing.  It wasn't uncommon to have starters throw a simulated inning out of the pen for a couple games prior to going out for the first inning.  At various times, Buchholz, Lester and Dice have all had to do this.  I'd give it a couple more games to be sure, but it seems as though Beckett needs a small adjustment to his pre game routine.  Once he settles in, he's been lights out. Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] Fact 1: josh Beckett has given up runs in the first inning against 3 of the 5 teams he faced Detroit 2 Min 1 Cws 3 Fact 2: josh Beckett has had at least a quality start in his 4 of his last of 5 games. I think fact 2 is more important.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!": Fact 1: josh Beckett has given up runs in the first inning against 3 of the 5 teams he faced Detroit 2 Min 1 Cws 3 Fact 2: josh Beckett has had at least a quality start in his 4 of his last of 5 games. I think fact 2 is more important.
    I'm not saying that he's a bad pitcher!  Just because I'm agreeing with Bill on 1 point doesn't put me in his camp on Beckett.  I'm just saying that he can be even better if the coaching staff can find a way to get him to perform in the first inning the way that he pitches the rest of the game.

Previous Red Sox coaching staffs have been able to work with pitches to correct this same problem.  Time for Bobby V and McClure to show what they're made of.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!! : I'm not saying that he's a bad pitcher!  Just because I'm agreeing with Bill on 1 point doesn't put me in his camp on Beckett.  I'm just saying that he can be even better if the coaching staff can find a way to get him to perform in the first inning the way that he pitches the rest of the game. Previous Red Sox coaching staffs have been able to work with pitches to correct this same problem.  Time for Bobby V and McClure to show what they're made of. Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] I don't think that was bills point otherwise he wouldnt have called him a fatcat. Also I just don't think its a big deal.I think the Beckett we have seen is going to be how he is for the year which is pretty good, and I expect him to contend for the cy young again. His two best starts were against good teams including Texas who has a really good lineup.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]Let's put it another way.......  As Confucious would say......... "Teeeem who gives up 1st inning runs, plaaaays from behind" !!!! 
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Don't go out on any limbs here, Bill.  LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

While I haven't seen any recent data on this, Bill James poointed out some years ago that more runs are scored in the first inning than in any other.  I don't know what that means in the context of this conversation, other than that maybe we're looking at a common phenomenon and making too much of it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: FAT-CAT down 3-zip already!!!!!": I don't think that was bills point otherwise he wouldnt have called him a fatcat. Also I just don't think its a big deal.I think the Beckett we have seen is going to be how he is for the year which is pretty good, and I expect him to contend for the cy young again. His two best starts were against good teams including Texas who has a really good lineup.

Honestly, I think Bill calling him a "fat-cat" is just Bill being Bill at this point.  I expect him to pitch pretty well this year too, but it looks like he could have even better numbers with a few tweaks from the coaching staff.  I'm not sure how comfortable they will be tweaking his routine though since they're both new to the team and therefore less familiar with Beckett's routine and history.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Beckett is probably not a fat cat this year and he still has a good repertoire and decent command of his pitches.

The problem yesterday was his insistence--he shook off Shoppach several times in the first inning--on throwing almost exclusively fast balls.  The first batter was down 0-2, but, thanks to Beckett throwing only fastballs, he finally got one he could hit and singled on the 7th pitch.  That guys later scored.  The dinger in the first?  Also a fast ball. 

In the second inning Beckett mixed up his pitches well.  He does in fact have a pretty good curve and changeup. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett is probably not a fat cat this year and he still has a good repertoire and decent command of his pitches. The problem yesterday was his insistence--he shook off Shoppach several times in the first inning--on throwing almost exclusively fast balls.  The first batter was down 0-2, but, thanks to Beckett throwing only fastballs, he finally got one he could hit and singled on the 7th pitch.  That guys later scored.  The dinger in the first?  Also a fast ball.  In the second inning Beckett mixed up his pitches well.  He does in fact have a pretty good curve and changeup. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Agree , it is imperative for Beckett to mix in all his pitches , with more curve balls. He no longer possesses an overpowering fastball. He needs to spot it.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]While I haven't seen any recent data on this, Bill James poointed out some years ago that more runs are scored in the first inning than in any other.  I don't know what that means in the context of this conversation, other than that maybe we're looking at a common phenomenon and making too much of it. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

Bill's posts don't have any context, there are just a lot of them.

Sections
Shortcuts