Fates of Alex Rodriguez, Yankees Could Be in the Hands of Spider-Man

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Fates of Alex Rodriguez, Yankees Could Be in the Hands of Spider-Man

by Michael Hurley/NESN

The Yankees' shot at winning a World Series in 2011 depends on the performances of CC Sabathia, Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira and Spider-Man.

Spider-Man, in this instance, is Tobey Maguire, the 36-year-old actor who played the superhero in three films (cleverly titled Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3), which grew increasingly worse as the series went along. To help ease the pain of being in such movies, Maguire played a little high-stakes poker.

Alex Rodriguez, as was reported earlier this year, was apparently a part of at least one of those games. So, too, were Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Leonardo DiCaprio. Major League Baseball, which warned Rodriguez years ago about his involvement in such activities, was none too pleased and plans to investigate the situation.

Maguire could be the focal point of that investigation, as he's facing a lawsuit and is due in court in January 2012. He just may got a call from MLB before then, and the Yankees better hope Spider-Man has all the right answers.

Will Alex Rodriguez be suspended for his involvment in Spider-Man's high-stakes poker games?

Alex Rodriguez and Tobey Maguire

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

Re: Fates of Alex Rodriguez, Yankees Could Be in the Hands of Spider-Man

I am not a big Alex Rodriguez fan, but this is kind of silly.  Why do they care that he played poker on his own time away from the field.  Guys that make this kind of money like MLB players often gamble.  And please don't say that there was cocaine at the house.  Cocaine was in every locker room of MLB in the 70's and 80's. 

If he did something illegal, and I don't think he did, then let the cops arrest him.  I think this is the work of opportunists just trying to stir up something to write about for sensationalistic purposes.  It's really not that big of a deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

If ARod does get a suspension (which he shouldn't) don't expect it to be very long.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Fates of Alex Rodriguez, Yankees Could Be in the Hands of Spider-Man:
    If ARod does get a suspension (which he shouldn't) don't expect it to be very long.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx

What's up, Mikey? Been a while.
    As you might have guessed, no fan of A-Rod am I. But this is silly. I mean, poker? It's hard for me to get worked up over this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

ARod has been in games with noted criminals.  I will not use the word because there is no such thing anywhere. Some of the younger guys like to say it is the family business.  These guys like to get there preys in so deep that they are in control of them.

For example say I had one of ARods markers  and I told him he could get healthy by doing a little something for me in a game.  nothing much say boot a ball or something like that.  

This happens every day.  A bad Cop has a gambling or drug problem, A politician is payed for a certain vote.  A Judge has a certain sexual problem. All of a sudden they are all on the payroll. In other words they are now owned and will do what they are told.

Jete that is what baseball can't ever allow to happen.

Some say that Basketball asked Jordan to take a couple of years off when he was gambling and hanging around noted criminals.  

When will ARod ever learn.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

bald-predictions.  Everything you are saying is just a guess on your part.  What has he actually done wrong.  I could say the same thing about almost any player because apparently you don't need proof to make such claims as you do.  If he did something illegal let the police handle it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Fates of Alex Rodriguez, Yankees Could Be in the Hands of Spider-Man:
    In Response to Re: Fates of Alex Rodriguez, Yankees Could Be in the Hands of Spider-Man : What's up, Mikey? Been a while. As you might have guessed, no fan of A-Rod am I. But this is silly. I mean, poker? It's hard for me to get worked up over this.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Hey there Lloyd, I hope you're well man.  We've got a big series shaping up this wknd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" In other words they are now owned and will do what they are told."

LMAO at this post and this ominous mob controlled landscape of celebrities that are now under mob control. I'm all for grim conspiracies but c'mon. I like how you supported your argument with the "some say" rumor about Jordan. Some also say that Michael Jordan loved baseball, but I guess that doesn't fit into the shadowy world you're caught up in. 

At any rate at most Alex gets a six game suspension and it won't have any impact on this baseball season whatsoever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

"  In other words they are now owned and will do what they are told." LMAO at this post and this ominous mob controlled landscape of celebrities that are now under mob control. I'm all for grim conspiracies but c'mon. I like how you supported your argument with the "some say" rumor about Jordan. Some also say that Michael Jordan loved baseball, but I guess that doesn't fit into the shadowy world you're caught up in.  At any rate at most Alex gets a six game suspension and it won't have any impact on this baseball season whatsoever.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

There is no question though that Jordan's dads death was very suspicious and is alleged to have been a result of Michael's gambling and associations with seedy people in the gambling world.  I know that I would not trade all of the material gains Mr. Jordan has amassed in this lifetime if the price is my dad gets offed by thugs, no thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Come on..... As if the Yankees actually even need AROD, Jeter, or half their starting line up!!!  So maybe they score 12 runs a game and not 15......  Their pitching will give up maybe 3 or 4 runs on a bad night........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Come on..... As if the Yankees actually even need AROD, Jeter, or half their starting line up!!!  So maybe they score 12 runs a game and not 15......  Their pitching will give up maybe 3 or 4 runs on a bad night........
    Posted by tetonman50

Is that a fact?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Arod says that he wasn't there.  All he has to do is get a person to vouch for him.  It could be his cousin Vinny.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

well if nothing else he could get Alex a job at The Daily Bugle, though i'm pretty sure  Mr Jameson will be asking him to take a  severe pay cut..Tongue out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

J. Jonah Jameson wouldn't put up with ARod's antics.

I think the reason he might get suspended is the possibilty of criminal element being around the games.  Sure, the mob bit sounds far-fetched and some of you are saying "Come on!" but MLB has to be concerned with even the appearance of impropriety.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Personally, it is more disturbing that Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were involved in the games...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Everyone involved thought it was a joke.

David Ortiz stormed into Terry Francona’s press conference with rage in his voice. “I’m [expletive] pissed. We need to have a talk, you and me.” In typical fashion, Tito dismissed Ortiz and told him he would “…be there in a minute.” The press conference continued, but speculation began to swirl throughout the media outlets about why Ortiz would be so upset. Was he left out of the lineup? When the locker rooms opened later, Ortiz was asked about the incident, but refused to comment. As it turns out, Ortiz was upset about an official scoring change, taking away one of his RBIs. The usually team-oriented Ortiz left a bad taste in many people’s mouths after that incident.

Ortiz is a respected, veteran leader on the Red Sox roster. He is often the voice of reason when things are going well and is there egging on his teammates when support is needed. His 2011 season has been an impressive resurgence for Ortiz, who was dealing with major pressures and slumps at times over the past few years. He has looked more relaxed and his production has increased to an impressive .289 average, 20 HRs and 69 RBIs (not 70, like he thought). It is no surprise that Ortiz would be upset that an RBI would be removed from his total, any human would be, but to make such a public spectacle over 1 RBI is unusual and disappointing for the big lefty.

I’m not sure what the whole story is here, honestly, this may be it. Maybe he was having a bad day and this was the tipping point, who knows, but he let his emotions get the best of him and in a moment of outrage, made an atypical scene. It’s easy to overlook and put these things behind us if the Red Sox are winning and Ortiz is performing, which he is, so this will likely fade quickly. For now, however, Ortiz will have to deal with the repercussions from making a rather idiotic mistake on a

personally I rather see my guy playing poker

Sections
Shortcuts