Favorite Opening Day Memories

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Favorite Opening Day Memories

What Opening Days do you remember.

Two of my favorites were when I was a kid-

In 73 The first game with the DH playing the Yankees Ron Bloomberg and Orlando Cepeda got the first 1 abs. if I remember the Sox came back in from about 5 down to win.

Also in the magical year of 75 with 2 rookies named Rice and Lynn on the team. What I remember about that game was we were playing the Brewers- Hank Aaron's first AL game and Tony C was in the the starting lineup in his short lived comeback.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Favorite Opening Day Memories

Has to be Opening Day, 2005, when the Red Sox got their WS rings. So many had longed to see it, and never did. I consider myself fortunate to have seen it once, then twice and in a few days, a 3rd time

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

When I was in high school my parents let me skip school to go to opening day with my friends. From quincy  we would hop on the ashmont bus to the train station get off at park st. then hop the trolly to fenway.

We would stand in line and wait and wait for the big metal doors to open.  When they opened we rushed the turnstyles to thow our quarters in.  Sometimes the crush was so bad I could hardly breath.

Once in we made a mad dash to grab some seats on the bleachers. If we were lucky the weather was warm and life was good.  If the weather was bad we would sit under blankets but life was still good because we were at fenway!

It was an adventure and sometimes pretty scary but it didn't stop us LOL!

My saddest opening day was in 1991.  That was the year I buried my dad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't actually have many special opening day memories.  But one that I really enjoyed was 2012, when I played hookie and went to Professor Thoms (Sox bar) in the East Village to catch opening game vs. Tigs.  Met up with JesseyEric and Jete-02, which was really fun after all the years of cyber-relating  (and, yes, Pike, this is where they initiated me as a top-secret yankee troll).  Rumor was that Joebriedey was also there, but no one had his contact info so I was just getting drunk trying to profile bar patrons to see if I could guess which one was joe B.  Also met a random Sox fan from L.A. who was in NY on business, ended up kicking it with him and he lives a stones throw from me now in Los Angeles.  Good times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Has to be Opening Day, 2005, when the Red sox got their WS rings.

[/QUOTE]

This.  i was lucky enough to get a ticket for this game.  ran into theo and gave him a high five.  technically this was the "home" opener.  they actually started the season down in the bronx (an L vs randy johnson if memory serves).  Wakefield pitched a gem a week later in the ring game/home opener. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't actually have many special opening day memories.  But one that I really enjoyed was 2012, when I played hookie and went to Professor Thoms (Sox bar) in the East Village to catch opening game vs. Tigs.  Met up with JesseyEric and Jete-02, which was really fun after all the years of cyber-relating  (and, yes, Pike, this is where they initiated me as a top-secret yankee troll).  Rumor was that Joebriedey was also there, but no one had his contact info so I was just getting drunk trying to profile bar patrons to see if I could guess which one was joe B.  Also met a random Sox fan from L.A. who was in NY on business, ended up kicking it with him and he lives a stones throw from me now in Los Angeles.  Good times.

[/QUOTE] hey Space, had a blast with you and Jess..was really looking forward to meeting JB too...wish we could have found him..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I would say 2005 with the Sox getting their rings.Another good one was Red Sox vs Detroit in 1986.Dewey Evans set a new MLB record by hitting a home run the first pitch of the season off Jack Morris.

Evans ended up hitting an opening day home run 4 times during his career. 

Hey Jete!!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would say 2005 with the Sox getting their rings.Another good one was Red Sox vs Detroit in 1986.Dewey Evans set a new MLB record by hitting a home run the first pitch of the season off Jack Morris.

Evans ended up hitting an opening day home run 4 times during his career. 

Hey Jete!!  

[/QUOTE] hey mojo....we've made it! :-)...enjoy your game...i've still got one day of withdrawl left Tongue Out