Favorite sox pitcher?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Favorite sox pitcher?

Best Pitcher that I actually saw pitch...

Pedro, hands down was the best.

Honorable mentions for best pitcher...

Clemens (pre Toronto), Schill, Tiant, Beckett, Lester

Ones I just liked...

Lee, Tavarez, Eck, Koji

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Favorite from Smoky Joe to Ellis Kinder to Mel Parnell, Radatz, El Tiante to Pedro to Lester

Thanks for reminding me of Ellis Kinder, but as for my favorite 'back-in-the-day' pitcher, my favorite was Ike Delock.

My 'mid-life' favorite was Dick Radatz.

Present-day era, Lowe.  He threw a no-hitter for the Red Sox in 2002 and in the 2004 post-season he had a 3–0 win-loss record as he immeasurably helped the Sox to its first World Series championship in 86 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

1) Pedro

2) Tiant

3) Spaceman

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Forgot about Ike Great name from the past . Give you another from that era, tom Brewer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Schiraldi..............just kidding...................Pedro

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I loved Pedro and he was by far the best pitcher I ever saw in a Red Sox uniform. But my favorite? Loooooooiiiiieeeeee!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Favorite from Smoky Joe to Ellis Kinder to Mel Parnell, Radatz, El Tiante to Pedro to Lester

Only one choice......Pedro !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Pedro was the best I ever saw- by far.

Clemens was the first to show me how much one guy can dominate a game.

Tiant was my alltime favorite.

Uehara is my current favorite.

Absolutely correct on all counts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I don't have a specific recollection of Pedro Martinez from the many Dodger games I attended when I lived near Chavez Ravine in 1989-94, but I remember witnessing a gem Martinez pitched at Oakland in 2000:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200007280.shtml

Red Sox righthander Roger Clemens pitched great in the first game I ever saw in California, shutting down the Angels on Memorial Day 1989:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL198805300.shtml

I saw Clemens at his best in the 2000 American League Championship Series when the Yankee pitched a one-hitter in Game 4 against my Mariners in Seattle:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA200010140.shtml

Consdiering the era, the Pedro Martinez of 1997-2003 may be the greatest pitcher of all time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Consdiering the era, the Pedro Martinez of 1997-2003 may be the greatest pitcher of all time.

I have made this point several times. Compare Pedro's numbers to the league average, and the disparity is much more than any other pitcher from other eras.

I have no doubt; he was the very best of the best for any 6 year stretch in MLB history.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I miss Pedro.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I have made this point several times. Compare Pedro's numbers to the league average, and the disparity is much more than any other pitcher from other eras.

I have no doubt; he was the very best of the best for any 6 year stretch in MLB history.

You might be right, then again need to look at Koufax, he  was rediculous. Perfect Games, No-Hitters.

Left Arm of God

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

You might be right, then again need to look at Koufax, he  was rediculous. Perfect Games, No-Hitters.

I did look at Sandy. I compared him to his era and he did not dominate the way Pedro did his.

Sandy's super dominating stretch was just 5 years not 7, but let's compare apples to apples:

Koufax from '62 to '66  (NL numbers '62-'66)

111 -34 in 1377 IP

WAR  43.4

FIP   2.00

ERA  1.95  (~3.55)  -1.60

ERA-   60

WHIP  0.93  (1.28)  -0.35

BA      .189   (.248)  -.059

K/9    9.44  (~5.8)  +3.6

BB/9  2.07  (~2.8)  -0.7

K/BB  4.57  (~2.0)  +2.6

HR/9  0.58  (~0.80) -0.2

Pedro  1999-2003

WAR: 43.2

FIP    1.95  (~4.55)  -2.60

ERA   2.10  (~4.65)  -2.55

ERA-     45

WHIP  0.90  (~1.44) -0.54

BA       .194  (.265)   -.071

K/9     11.62  (~6.3) +5.3

BB/9     1.75  (~3.4) -1.6

K/BB     6.66  (~1.84) +4.8

HR/9     0.49  (~1.14) -0.65

Pedro's differentials are clearly more dominating of his era.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Tiant was my favourite, but I also loved Roger Moret.  A more enlightened view of mental illness would have made a big difference to him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Pedro by far, then Tiant. All time have to throw in Cy Young and Babe Ruth since I haven't seen them mentioned.

Used to like watching Sonny Siebert kill the Orioles with his arm and his bat. Great hitting pitcher. Had 6 home runs and 15 rbis one season.

Would have put Clemens in there if I wasn't so disgusted with him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Favorite from a pure entertainment perspective it would be El Tiant without question.  The man was a hollywood star.

Favorite from a pure talent perspective it would be a tie between Pedro and Clemens.  Both of these guys in their prime were overwhelming.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We were so lucky to get both of these guys here in Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

To many to choose from but I will say the greatest pitcher in a Red Sox uniform in the last 50 years was Pedro. Last year I truly enjoyed Uehara and Lester. Other than these guys there have been many who have graced the bump in a Red Sox uniform and they have all been entertaining whether I liked them all or not. El Tiante and even the rental guys like Smoltz,Seaver and Juan Marichal were all great stories, the most disheartening pitcher who was on the verge of greatness was Rogelio Moret, broke my heart to hear his story. He lives in my memories of Sox who could have been along with Billy Rohr,Tony C,and more recently Westmoreland and Daniel Bard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

To many to choose from but I will say the greatest pitcher in a Red Sox uniform in the last 50 years was Pedro. Last year I truly enjoyed Uehara and Lester. Other than these guys there have been many who have graced the bump in a Red Sox uniform and they have all been entertaining whether I liked them all or not. El Tiante and even the rental guys like Smoltz,Seaver and Juan Marichal were all great stories, the most disheartening pitcher who was on the verge of greatness was Rogelio Moret, broke my heart to hear his story. He lives in my memories of Sox who could have been along with Billy Rohr,Tony C,and more recently Westmoreland and Daniel Bard.

Great names here. Also, Saberhagen.

How about...

"Soup" Campbell

Greg Harris (I think he was the guy who had a double glove and wanted to alternate pitching arms.)

I started following the Sox in 1972 after the Tommy Harper trade.

Tiant had a great season in '72, I think with a 1.90 ERA. He was always my favorite pitcher, but I loved Bill Lee as well. Marty Pattin came over from the Brewers as well and had a decent season. (I used to live within 2 blocks of County Stadium in Milwaukee.)

Other favorites or notables up to 2000:

Big Bob Veale

Dick Pole (I was at the game he took a line shot off his head. I remember the ball rolled to Rico at 3B who ignored the ball and rushed to Pole's aid.)

1973: Reggie Cleveland, Dick Drago, Diego Segui (Marichal & Rick Wise)

1975: Roger Moret goes 14-3

1976: Fergie Jenkins 

1977: Campbell 

1978: Eckersley wins 20 & Mike Torrez 16

1979: John Tudor comes up

1980: Tom Burgmeier with Hurst and Ojeda coming up

1981: Frank Tanana

Oil Can Boyd & Clemens

1985: 5 starters all 27 or younger with Clemens, Boyd, Hurst, Ojeda & Nipper

1986: Tom Seaver

1988: Mike Boddicker & Lee Smith

Dennis Lamp

Jeff Reardon

Jeff Gray (sad story)

1992: Frank Viola & Danny Darwin

Aaron Sele, Jeff Russell & Paul Quantrill (Ken Ryan)

Tim Wakefield & Mike Maddux

Tom Gordon

Rich Garces (El Guapo)

Saberhagen & Derek Lowe

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Great names here. Also, Saberhagen.

How about...

"Soup" Campbell

Greg Harris (I think he was the guy who had a double glove and wanted to alternate pitching arms.)

I started following the Sox in 1972 after the Tommy Harper trade.

Tiant had a great season in '72, I think with a 1.90 ERA. He was always my favorite pitcher, but I loved Bill Lee as well. Marty Pattin came over from the Brewers as well and had a decent season. (I used to live within 2 blocks of County Stadium in Milwaukee.)

Other favorites or notables up to 2000:

Big Bob Veale

Dick Pole (I was at the game he took a line shot off his head. I remember the ball rolled to Rico at 3B who ignored the ball and rushed to Pole's aid.)

1973: Reggie Cleveland, Dick Drago, Diego Segui (Marichal & Rick Wise)

1975: Roger Moret goes 14-3

1976: Fergie Jenkins 

1977: Campbell 

1978: Eckersley wins 20 & Mike Torrez 16

1979: John Tudor comes up

1980: Tom Burgmeier with Hurst and Ojeda coming up

1981: Frank Tanana

Oil Can Boyd & Clemens

1985: 5 starters all 27 or younger with Clemens, Boyd, Hurst, Ojeda & Nipper

1986: Tom Seaver

1988: Mike Boddicker & Lee Smith

Dennis Lamp

Jeff Reardon

Jeff Gray (sad story)

1992: Frank Viola & Danny Darwin

Aaron Sele, Jeff Russell & Paul Quantrill (Ken Ryan)

Tim Wakefield & Mike Maddux

Tom Gordon

Rich Garces (El Guapo)

Saberhagen & Derek Lowe

Like i said so many have graced this team with their perfomances, Heck neither one of us mentioned Foulke and he was the guy holding the ball at the end of the 04 WS...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Reminds me of summer weekends at the beach Moon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hodgkinsfl1. Show hodgkinsfl1's posts

Bill Monboquette

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:

Pedro by far, then Tiant. All time have to throw in Cy Young and Babe Ruth since I haven't seen them mentioned.

Used to like watching Sonny Siebert kill the Orioles with his arm and his bat. Great hitting pitcher. Had 6 home runs and 15 rbis one season.

Good call on Sonny Siebert. Tiant was by far my favorite and Pedro of course was the best. But the early first pitchers I liked were Siebert and Ray Culp.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to MikeNagy's comment:

Good call on Sonny Siebert. Tiant was by far my favorite and Pedro of course was the best. But the early first pitchers I liked were Siebert and Ray Culp.

My namesake was right there with Culp and Siebert in 1969, along with a fading Jim Lonborg. He went 12-2 and and was American League Rookie Pitcher of the Year. He had a promising career, but arm problems did him in. Pike tried to make me a closet yankee fan because Nagy was born in the Bronx and sells real estate there.

I was actually going to be Ray Culp but he was already taken, though I've never seen him post.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Best Pitcher - Pedro Totally dominant for 6-7 years

Favorite all-time Pitcher - El Tiante a great showman and very good pitcher.  I remember him taking "infield" in the '70s on an off day.  Perfectly ole-d every ball hit near him much to evryone's delight.

Best performance - Rogers 20 strikeout performance vs Seattle in 1986.

Favorite Current Pitcher - Uehara amazingly consistant and effective run as a closer

Sections
Shortcuts