Felix Hernandez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

Felix Hernandez

Jim Bowden said in an ESPN Article named 5 Trades that should happen (Its an insider article, I could only see the beginning.) that the Yankees should trade RHP Dellin Betances RHP Ivan Nove, and C Jesus Montero for Felix Hernandez. He always says the Red Sox should trade, Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Kalish, and Anthony Ranaudo for Gio Gonzalez. If the Red Sox would be willing to do that trade for Gio Gonzalez why not add say 2 more prospects for Felix Hernandez? Maybe Middlebrooks, Kalish, Ranuado, Lavarnway, and maybe Reddick. I think the trade suggested for Gio Gonzalez is an overpay for him. While I understand that wouldn't be enough for Felix, I feel that is an overpay for Gio...What do you guys think? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Felix Hernandez

Raw--I just wrote almost an identical trade for Gio and Bailey---I think I said if Salty and Shopp are going to be the catching tandem for '12 trade Lavarnway, Bard, Ranaudo, Reddick and a top 5 Sox prospect for Gio, Bailey and a top A's prospect.

It would have to be for a Hernandez-Brandon League or Gio and Bailey, or a twosome of that quality.

If we are experimenting with Bard, I'd say have someone else do the experimenting and we'll take the proven starter and the closer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Felix Hernandez:
    Jim Bowden said in an ESPN Article named 5 Trades that should happen (Its an insider article, I could only see the beginning.) that the Yankees should trade RHP Dellin Betances RHP Ivan Nove, and C Jesus Montero for Felix Hernandez. He always says the Red Sox should trade, Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Kalish, and Anthony Ranaudo for Gio Gonzalez. If the Red Sox would be willing to do that trade for Gio Gonzalez why not add say 2 more prospects for Felix Hernandez? Maybe Middlebrooks, Kalish, Ranuado, Lavarnway, and maybe Reddick. I think the trade suggested for Gio Gonzalez is an overpay for him. While I understand that wouldn't be enough for Felix, I feel that is an overpay for Gio...What do you guys think? 
    Posted by RawckinSox

Middlebrooks,Kalish,Larvenway,Ranuado,and maybe Reddick.???? All that for couple more wins a year? Stop and think about it?Say Hernandez wins 20 games.The pitcher he replaces wins 12-15 is that worth losing all that talent?NOT!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If the Yanks trade Montero and Nova for Hernandez, I am becoming a Twins fan.

Let's ask Met fans - how did that Santana deal work out for you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

Posted by RawckinSox

I don't like the Sox trade for Gio Gonzalez, at least not for the players you mentioned from the ESPN Insider article.  It does seem like it's of overpaying for a player who is pretty good, but not great.  If we could pick him up for less than that, I would consider it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

This all depends on how Mariners do next season.  If they struggle as usual, they WILL listen to offers for Felix and probably part with him.  And I believe Yankees have the best chance with their loaded young talents.  I would say 90% chance this trade will go through IF Mariners fall behind pretty far before the trade deadline.  I would say Montero, Nova, Betances are more than enough to make the trade happen.  But there is a deal breaker and that's Prince Fielder.  If Mariners land Fielder this offseason, Mariners will try to rebuild the team around these two young super stars and might be reluctant to trade Felix.  Then Pineda will be their trade chip instead of King Felix. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Its so hard to say if you are overpaying for a trade or not IMO...it's easier to look back with hindsight and Judge a trade.

If Middlebrooks, Raunado, and Kalish all reach their ceilings as big leaguers....then in the long run we would likely be overpaying.  Odds are though at least one of those guys has a marginal MLB career, so it seems like a fair deal to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Posted by RawckinSox

First of all, that is the worst trade ideas I have ever witness.  

Why the world the Yankees want to give up Nova who was the team's best pitcher last year.  Yankees could rather to part away at least two or maybe three of their top prospects along with Montero for Felix.  Then the Yankees will have Nova, Felix, and CC where it will probably be one of the best rotation in AL.  If you take away Nova and add Felix, that isnt going to fix the Yankees's long term problem!!

For Boston, they are parting away already four of their top prospects who all could be a starter for the 2013 Red Sox team.   No way it is happening.  Boston can just part away Reddick, Lar Anderson, Bowen, Tawaza, etc instead!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Posted by RawckinSox

Will Middlebrooks, Anthony Ranaudo and Ryan Kalish are largely overvalued on this message board.

Baseball America has never ranked Middlebrooks among Boston's Top 10 prospects (although a ranking is pending) because the 23-year-old thirdbaseman's low walk rate and high strikeout rate.

Ranaudo is a 22-year-old former sandwich-round draft pick who was not overly impressive last season in 26 starts at the Single A and High A levels.

The MLB production of former prospect Ryan Kalish, who turns 24 in March, will likely fall somewhere between the MLB production of former Red Sox prospects David Murphy and Brandon Moss, fellow lefthand-hitting outfielders.

Gio Gonzalez, who has two solid MLB seasons at age 26 and who remains under his team's control for another four seasons, is a lot to give up for three question marks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez:
    In Response to Felix Hernandez : First of all, that is the worst trade ideas I have ever witness.   Why the world the Yankees want to give up Nova who was the team's best pitcher last year.  Yankees could rather to part away at least two or maybe three of their top prospects along with Montero for Felix.  Then the Yankees will have Nova, Felix, and CC where it will probably be one of the best rotation in AL.  If you take away Nova and add Felix, that isnt going to fix the Yankees's long term problem!! For Boston, they are parting away already four of their top prospects who all could be a starter for the 2013 Red Sox team.   No way it is happening.  Boston can just part away Reddick, Lar Anderson, Bowen, Tawaza, etc instead!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

Are you serious???? Nova over CC??? wow...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : Are you serious???? Nova over CC??? wow...
    Posted by seannybboi

When I say that, I was talking about last season!!  Not talking about career between these two.

Regular
    Nova - 16 wins & 4 losses
    CC - 19 wins & 8 losses including 4 of these losses were against Boston!!!

Post season
    Nova - one win and won lost
    CC - no win or no lost with an ERA of 6.23.

Only thing CC did better than Nova is that CC have more strikeouts and innings pitch per game during the whole season than Nova.

Still Nova is only 24 years old!!  He is already proven one of the youngest best pitcher in AL.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Posted by RawckinSox

That's ridiculous to me. I like Gio, but that's way to high a price to pay for him. Drop either Ranaudo or Middlebrooks and I'd say go for it. But all three?? No thanks. The Sox really ARE trying to turn into the Yanks of the 90s/2000s with a trade like that. The farm was already depleted for Adrian Gonzalez, then could have had a high level OF prospect, but wanted an aging, hurt starter instead.

I have 0 faith in this ownership. Sure, they've won (with a very inherited team), but at what cost?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Gio had a WHIP of 1.32 in a very pitcher-friendly ballpark.  There's a reason why the Athletics had a great team ERA in 2011 but couldn't hit spit and couldn't win games. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Gio had a WHIP of 1.32 in a very pitcher-friendly ballpark.  There's a reason why the Athletics had a great team ERA in 2011 but couldn't hit spit and couldn't win games. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

And another reason why Will Middlebrooks and Ryan Kalish might be even less effective on the West Coast. Kalish's career line of .259/.312/.400/.712 at hitter-friendly Fenway Park (in a potent lineup) probably would suffer a steep drop at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Really? Has Kalish got years and years of AB's in the majors yet?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Really? Has Kalish got years and years of AB's in the majors yet?
    Posted by BurritoT

Well, Ryan Kalish has enough MLB at-bats that the outfielder no longer falls within the widely held definition of a prospect.

Kalish's minor league line of .280/.367/.429/.796 in 1,693 plate appearances would likely drop in the pitcher-friendly venues of the American League West.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

hill your a good poster, more stat fanatics than I can care, but Kalish has not played near enough for you to suggest he would suffer so much to play in the West.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

hill your a good poster, more stat fanatics than I can care, but Kalish has not played near enough for you to suggest he would suffer so much to play in the West.  
    Posted by BurritoT

His numbers would certainly suffer by playing 81 games in Oakland rather than Fenway. Plus, he'd play many more games in Seattle and LAA--both notoriuos pitcher's parks. I think that's what he meant.

A 1.32 WHIP is very scary (1.410 career). Oakland has a very big foul territory that allows for more outs and has deep fenses. 

Gio's WHIP is 1.468 away from Oakland!

(Warning: small sample sizes)

vs NYY : 7.29
    bs Bos:  5.79
    TB:         4.86

@ Fenway:    5.63
    @ Yankees:   5.56
    @ Tampa:      9.64   
    @ Toronto:    5.09
    @ Baltimore 2.79

Something to ponder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from big_bad_bruins. Show big_bad_bruins's posts

Posted by RawckinSox

no way!!!! not for gio, hes good but middlebrooks gonna be a stud, and i believe kalish will be 2

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Kalish is a stud, I agree with Burrito ... wait until he settles into the MLB role and puts some time in, then judge him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

In Response to Felix Hernandez : Will Middlebrooks, Anthony Ranaudo and Ryan Kalish are largely overvalued on this message board. Baseball America has never ranked Middlebrooks among Boston's Top 10 prospects (although a ranking is pending) because the 23-year-old thirdbaseman's low walk rate and high strikeout rate. Ranaudo is a 22-year-old former sandwich-round draft pick who was not overly impressive last season in 26 starts at the Single A and High A levels. The MLB production of former prospect Ryan Kalish, who turns 24 in March, will likely fall somewhere between the MLB production of former Red Sox prospects David Murphy and Brandon Moss, fellow lefthand-hitting outfielders. Gio Gonzalez, who has two solid MLB seasons at age 26 and who remains under his team's control for another four seasons, is a lot to give up for three question marks.
    Posted by hill55

I won't say you're wrong that some/all of these guys are overrated here, but your analysis goes too far in the other direction.

Middlebrooks- Yes, he has never been highly ranked, but that completely ignores that he had a blossom season this year! He was drafted as an unpolished high school player, slowly moved up the A level ladders, and wasn't even a top 20 soxprospect.com prospect as of April 2010. However, he showed excellent development in 2010 and was viewed as a 10-15 ranked prospect through the start of last season, before rocketing up the boards this year (including a fine power showing in the AFL)

Middlebrooks is well-regarded because he has a good frame for 3B, very strong or better defense, and has a bat with power. His developing but still inadequate plate discipline is what makes him a risk, but if he weren't at least something of a risk, he'd be in the majors this year! His floor appears to be an Edwin Encarnacion, but he was the potential to be a slightly poorer man's version of Scott Rolen. That's a fine prospect.

Ranaudo- You're way off the mark with him. He was a top-15 prospect who fell in the draft because he had an injury question and yet did not lower his signing demands. The Sox rolled the dice with him, and he answered the injury question with flying colors. He has an excellent pitcher's body with the smooth delivery, solid command, and well-rounded repetoire of a good #2 or #3 pitcher (who could always develop into more). His lack of raw stuff prevents him from projecting as an ace, but he should reliably be a major leaguer fairly soon.

Given that last year was his first season of professional ball, I think you should give Ranaudo a break. He was exactly what was hoped for in low-A ball in 10 starts (3.33 era, 1.11 whip, more K's than innings) before predictably struggling a little when he moved up a level (4.33 era, 1.36 whip, lower K rate...not a big deal at all). His trade/MLB projection value will likely be established, for good or ill, based on this upcoming season.

Kalish- He had an unfortunate setback last year, but comparing him to Moss and Murphy does him a disservice. Those two are more like Reddick (all three had decent but limited plate discipline to go with good power, athleticism, and flexible fielding ability), and all three projected a notch below Kalish. Murphy has actually not been as good as you think, as he benefits an awful lot from Texas's ballpark.

Kalish has always had more plate discipline than any of the previously mentioned OFers (he's had multiple 20+ game stints with a .400 or higher OBP), and he's a great character/hustle guy. His floor is basically Murphy, a perfect 4th OFer (can play all three spots, good athleticism, some contact, some power, good personality), and if he develops further he could be a Trot Nixon-level starter.

None of these guys is an elite-level prospect, but all offer things to like. Middlebrooks is a classic upside prospect, who needs to improve in some areas but is MLB ready in others. Ranaudo is a SP who likely will never be an ace but who is extremely projectable (the same said many times about Jon Lester, so these type of SP prospects are great to have). And Kalish probably has much more value to the Red Sox than he would in a trade, given that he is coming off a down year and has a place waiting for him on the team. Far from being a "throw in" as Jim Bowden labeled him, at worst he should provide quality bench production at little price, and at best he's a future full-time starter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looking at the past lists of top Sox prospects rated by Soxprospects.com, one can see that almost all of the top rated kids have gone on to become very good to excellent MLB players. It's quite interesting to look back at the names of these lists...

http://www.soxprospects.com/history.htm

This does not mean that the ones there now are destined to do the same, but I am encouraged by several of our prospects. although some are 2-3 years away at the moment.

Red: 19-20 years old
    Blue: 21-22 yearts old 

Right now, they have...

Middlebrooks #1, followed by Kalish, Ranaudo, Bogaerts, Iglesias, Lavarnway, Barnes, Brentz, Jacobs, Swihart, Coyle, Cecchini, Weiland (traded), Doubront, Wilson, Britton, Vitek, Head, Pimental, Tejada, Bradley, Owens, Tazawa, Hassan, Anderson, Alcantara, Kukuk, Ramos, Workman, and Hazelbaker

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Posted by RawckinSox

Seriously, another get Felix post?? Can we please move on from this....its a pipe dream!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Whatever way y'all slice it the Sox current Big-3 isn't all that.

Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester may win 40-45 (50 at the most)games this year. A starting rotation needs to win 70+ for a team to contend.

Gio and or Felix BOTH might have a chance to help the Sox climb out of 3rd in the East. I've always contended that one of the Big-3 needs to go.

Beckett is too expensive for any other team.
    Lester is as well.
    Buchholz needs to go.

Prospects mentioned in this thread PLUS Buchholz MIGHT get the Sox Gio and Felix.

#1 Felix Hernandez, #2 Gio Gonzalez, #3 Jon Lester, #4 Josh Beckett and a fifth starter...Aceves? Make the Sox staff equal to the Rays.

We're worried about prospects?

The Sox staff, as it stands, is third best in the East...and behind a couple of other teams in other AL divisions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icka31. Show icka31's posts

In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : When I say that, I was talking about last season!!  Not talking about career between these two. Regular Nova - 16 wins & 4 losses CC - 19 wins & 8 losses including 4 of these losses were against Boston!!! Post season Nova - one win and won lost CC - no win or no lost with an ERA of 6.23. Only thing CC did better than Nova is that CC have more strikeouts and innings pitch per game during the whole season than Nova. Still Nova is only 24 years old!!  He is already proven one of the youngest best pitcher in AL.  
    Posted by GoUconn13

Felix is 25 and already the best pitcher in the AL.

Sections
Shortcuts