Felix Hernandez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Re: Felix Hernandez

In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez:
    [QUOTE]Whatever way y'all slice it the Sox current Big-3 isn't all that. Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester may win 40-45 (50 at the most)games this year. A starting rotation needs to win 70+ for a team to contend. Gio and or Felix BOTH might have a chance to help the Sox climb out of 3rd in the East. I've always contended that one of the Big-3 needs to go. Beckett is too expensive for any other team. Lester is as well. Buchholz needs to go. Prospects mentioned in this thread PLUS Buchholz MIGHT get the Sox Gio and Felix. #1 Felix Hernandez, #2 Gio Gonzalez, #3 Jon Lester, #4 Josh Beckett and a fifth starter...Aceves? Make the Sox staff equal to the Rays. We're worried about prospects? The Sox staff, as it stands, is third best in the East...and behind a couple of other teams in other AL divisions.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

The moment you say that "Lester is too expensive for any other team", you lose the little shred of credibility you ever had.

A second-level ace with upside set to earn $7.625m in 2012, $11.625m in 2013, and $13m in 2014 (three years of cost control is VERY valuable) is a huge, HUGE bargain. There are some teams that would best avoid a future $13m salary, but at least half the teams in baseball would jump at a chance to get that player/contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe he meant expensive in terms of who they'd have to trade to get Lester, but you are right, if he meant moneywise... no he isn't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Looking at the past lists of top Sox prospects rated by Soxprospects.com, one can see that almost all of the top rated kids have gone on to become very good to excellent MLB players. It's quite interesting to look back at the names of these lists... http://www.soxprospects.com/history.htm This does not mean that the ones there now are destined to do the same, but I am encouraged by several of our prospects. although some are 2-3 years away at the moment. http://www.soxprospects.com/index.html Red: 19-20 years old Blue: 21-22 yearts old  Right now, they have... Middlebrooks #1, followed by Kalish, Ranaudo , Bogaerts , Iglesias , Lavarnway, Barnes, Brentz, Jacobs , Swihart , Coyle, Cecchini , Weiland (traded), Doubront, Wilson, Britton, Vitek , Head, Pimental, Tejada, Bradley, Owens , Tazawa, Hassan, Anderson, Alcantara, Kukuk, Ramos , Workman, and Hazelbaker
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Is he related to Izzy???

I hope so, that guy got a raw deal. I believe he deserves praise for thinking to take out the catcher before going after the pitcher!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2uGROwr-rY

MMA + MLB = YES PLEASE! lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why exactly is Hill going for his PHD on the Red Sox when he admits to being a Mariners fan. Why does one spend eight hours per day on a Red Sox forum when your allegiance is to the Seattle Mariners. If the excuse is that this forum is cerebral and entertaining then you are whistling Dixie. My guess is that Hill works for the Globe as does PinstripeZac. Pinstripe seems to know zilch about his Yankees and is loaded about Red Sox happenings. Quite a show that these Globe employees are putting on. Which one of the Globe staff did Babe and Yazzer and gave it up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Looking at the past lists of top Sox prospects rated by Soxprospects.com, one can see that almost all of the top rated kids have gone on to become very good to excellent MLB players.

Funny you mentioned that, I've looked at the past rankings myself just out curiosity and came to the same conclusion.  Yes there are some busts, but the history shows the Sox have done a great job of developing talent. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm with Hill on Middlebrooks - I need to see more results before I dub him the anything of the future, and he's unlikely to ever even approach Youk's numbers. 

But on the flip-side, the OP also suggested Lavarnway, who for two months in 2011 was the most impressive hitter in professional baseball.  

Bogaerts, too, is an under-rated prospect.  Compare his 2011 to Jurickson Profar's.

Profar: .286  / .390 / .493 / .883
    Bogaerts: .260 / .324 / .509 / .834

That's playing the same position in the same league, with Bogaerts only 4 months older than Profar.  Profar is on everybody's top 100 list, and Bogaerts is nowhere in sight. Yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If what I've read about Bogaerts is true I'd be very surprised to see him not shoot up the prospect rankings this year (granted he has a good year)

In reference to my last post (all things considered) I'd like to see what Barnes and Ranaudo can do in Boston in a couple years, young talent comes very cheap too.

I think the Sox still have high regards for Pimental and Britton.

Hill55 -  Remember Middlebrooks is a 23 year old prospect who started his pro career at 19, not a 30 year old mlb player to evaluate career medians.  Middlebrooks has showed upward progression in almost every offensive category at every level he advances too.  That upward progression I believe is what makes him appear to have a high ceiling.  Yes their is a lot to consider and ultimately the last jump to the bigs is the breaking point for all prospects (some just don't pan out) but when you see that upward mobility you got to be a little excited.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with Hill on Middlebrooks - I need to see more results before I dub him the anything of the future, and he's unlikely to ever even approach Youk's numbers.  But on the flip-side, the OP also suggested Lavarnway, who for two months in 2011 was the most impressive hitter in professional baseball.   Bogaerts, too, is an under-rated prospect.  Compare his 2011 to Jurickson Profar's. Profar: .286  / .390 / .493 / .883 Bogaerts: .260 / .324 / .509 / .834 That's playing the same position in the same league, with Bogaerts only 4 months older than Profar.  Profar is on everybody's top 100 list, and Bogaerts is nowhere in sight. Yet.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I agree on Middlebrooks.  I'd like to see at least a 2:1 K/W before I start paying attention.  He is > 3.5:1 in the minors.  No one in the majors can survive that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : The moment you say that "Lester is too expensive for any other team", you lose the little shred of credibility you ever had. A second-level ace with upside set to earn $7.625m in 2012, $11.625m in 2013, and $13m in 2014 (three years of cost control is VERY valuable) is a huge, HUGE bargain. There are some teams that would best avoid a future $13m salary, but at least half the teams in baseball would jump at a chance to get that player/contract.
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

Neither Seattle nor Oakland champ...and credibility? Like I need credibility? lolol

Why this forum is excited about Jon Lester is beyond me.

As the saying goes, "Son, you have a lot of potential. Potential though is the French word for ain't-done-sh!t-yet"..." His best seasons are behind him. If Gio came to Boston he'd be their #1 in 2012.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Why exactly is Hill going for his PHD on the Red Sox when he admits to being a Mariners fan. Why does one spend eight hours per day on a Red Sox forum when your allegiance is to the Seattle Mariners. If the excuse is that this forum is cerebral and entertaining then you are whistling Dixie. My guess is that Hill works for the Globe as does PinstripeZac. Pinstripe seems to know zilch about his Yankees and is loaded about Red Sox happenings. Quite a show that these Globe employees are putting on. Which one of the Globe staff did Babe and Yazzer and gave it up?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Hill's all right. He adds to this forum in a meaningful way. More so than many professed Sox fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : His numbers would certainly suffer by playing 81 games in Oakland rather than Fenway. Plus, he'd play many more games in Seattle and LAA--both notoriuos pitcher's parks. I think that's what he meant. A 1.32 WHIP is very scary (1.410 career). Oakland has a very big foul territory that allows for more outs and has deep fenses.  Gio's WHIP is 1.468 away from Oakland! (Warning: small sample sizes) vs NYY : 7.29 bs Bos:  5.79 TB:         4.86 @ Fenway:    5.63 @ Yankees:   5.56 @ Tampa:      9.64    @ Toronto:    5.09 @ Baltimore 2.79 Something to ponder.

While I agree, that certainly is nothing to hold against Kalish.  Playing in more pitchers' parks makes EVERY hitter worse, not just our guys...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

John Sickels of Minor League Ball on Tuesday offered his take on the top Red Sox prospects:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/12/13/2633672/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2012

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

There are certain guys if available you empty the farm for. King Felix is definately one of them, Agon was another. Gio Gonzalez is not, doesn't have the resume like the others, if he completely dominates next 2 years and wins a CY then he moves into King Felix's neighborhood. But right now would not trade 3-4 top prospects for him, 2 maybe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Bogaerts, too, is an under-rated prospect.  Compare his 2011 to Jurickson Profar's.

Profar: .286  / .390 / .493 / .883
    Bogaerts: .260 / .324 / .509 / .834

That's playing the same position in the same league, with Bogaerts only 4 months older than Profar.  Profar is on everybody's top 100 list, and Bogaerts is nowhere in sight. Yet."

Bogaerts doesn't get as much love because scouts don't see him ultimately playing SS.  More likely to end up at 3B or OF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]John Sickels of Minor League Ball on Tuesday offered his take on the top Red Sox prospects: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/12/13/2633672/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2012
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. Great article.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. (I deleted my erroneous post)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]"Bogaerts, too, is an under-rated prospect.  Compare his 2011 to Jurickson Profar's. Profar: .286  / .390 / .493 / .883 Bogaerts: .260 / .324 / .509 / .834 That's playing the same position in the same league, with Bogaerts only 4 months older than Profar.  Profar is on everybody's top 100 list, and Bogaerts is nowhere in sight. Yet." Bogaerts doesn't get as much love because scouts don't see him ultimately playing SS.  More likely to end up at 3B or OF.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

I think the same is true of Profar.  As of right now, Bogaerts has a better RF at short than either Profar or Jose Iglesias.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : Thanks for the input. Great article. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. (I deleted my erroneous post)
    I made similar error today when I included Casey McGehee in a Milwaukee-to-Boston trade proposal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Felix Hernandez:
    [QUOTE]Jim Bowden said in an ESPN Article named 5 Trades that should happen (Its an insider article, I could only see the beginning.) that the Yankees should trade RHP Dellin Betances RHP Ivan Nove, and C Jesus Montero for Felix Hernandez. He always says the Red Sox should trade, Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Kalish, and Anthony Ranaudo for Gio Gonzalez. If the Red Sox would be willing to do that trade for Gio Gonzalez why not add say 2 more prospects for Felix Hernandez? Maybe Middlebrooks, Kalish, Ranuado, Lavarnway, and maybe Reddick. I think the trade suggested for Gio Gonzalez is an overpay for him. While I understand that wouldn't be enough for Felix, I feel that is an overpay for Gio...What do you guys think? 
    Posted by RawckinSox[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised the Sox are even considering starting Bard.  Aceves is much more established to go six innings, then let the pen take over but he was such a great "middle relief" guy for us.  The Sox need a SP and Gio isn't Garza which is the type of competitor this team needs.  We gave away Lowrie and Weiland for a pitcher in "Betances" who appears to be a good long term move but is still unproven in a very difficult AL East.

Our managament needs to make a move for solid reliever and SP, who is fearless to what hes walking into.  Garza is the guy, but the Cubs are playing games. 

Give the Cubs a solid offer for Garza including Theo as their new GM, or back out and let Theo sit out the year.  We don't owe Theo or the Cubs anything at this point and we have yet to get a thing in return.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez:
    In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : Thanks for the input. Great article. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. (I deleted my erroneous post)
    Posted by moonslav59

I made similar error today when I included Casey McGehee in a Milwaukee-to-Boston trade proposal.

Well, at least we can admit our mistakes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : I agree on Middlebrooks.  I'd like to see at least a 2:1 K/W before I start paying attention.  He is /> 3.5:1 in the minors.  No one in the majors can survive that.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Here is a recent discussion of Will Middlebrooks over at SoxProspects:

http://forum-soxprospects.com/topic/7289/Will-Middlebrooks