Fenway Park/99'ASG

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Fenway Park/99'ASG

Morning all, being it's the All-Star break, wanted to share a nice piece i saw on the Home Page....http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2014/07/14/reasons-why-the-all-star-game-gave-the-greatest-summer-night-fenway-park-history/ZQXTRLmh5mKkIXNdy0gKzM/pictures.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: Fenway Park/99'ASG

What's up Jete!  Thanks for posting that article…outstanding.  I was at that game but didn't get to see it with quite the clarity as those pics.  

Thanks and enjoy the break!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Morning all, being it the All-Star break, wanted to share a nice piece i saw on the Home Page....http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2014/07/14/reasons-why-the-all-star-game-gave-the-greatest-summer-night-fenway-park-history/ZQXTRLmh5mKkIXNdy0gKzM/pictures.html

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this, Jete.  

Like Soups, I was there, and 15 years later I recognize it as the defining moment in my life as a baseball and Red Sox fan.  Even now as I type this and think about that night and Ted Williams coming onto the field in the golf cart I get a lump the size of a bowling ball in my throat and my eyes well up and spill over - as they did that night.  

Life don't get any better than that!

[object HTMLDivElement]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Morning all, being it the All-Star break, wanted to share a nice piece i saw on the Home Page....http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2014/07/14/reasons-why-the-all-star-game-gave-the-greatest-summer-night-fenway-park-history/ZQXTRLmh5mKkIXNdy0gKzM/pictures.html

[/QUOTE]

Like Soups, I was there, and 15 years later I recognize it as the defining moment in my life as a baseball and Red Sox fan.  Even now as I type this and think about that night and Ted Williams coming onto the field in the golf cart I get a lump the size of a bowling ball in my throat and my eyes well up and spill over - as they did that night.  

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Well said S5, well said.  I don't think I realized just how powerful that night was until years later.  When Tony Gwynn passed, I was reminded of that moment he had with Williams.  That brought back the bowling ball in my throat, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's up Jete!  Thanks for posting that article…outstanding.  I was at that game but didn't get to see it with quite the clarity as those pics.  

Thanks and enjoy the break!

[/QUOTE] hey soups!!...you're most welcome bud..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE] you are welcome S5, 99' turned to be quite a year for me too, a great ASG, Yanks win the 2nd of what becomes  three-peat.....and best of all....my son was born...:-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Well said S5, well said.  I don't think I realized just how powerful that night was until years later.  When Tony Gwynn passed, I was reminded of that moment he had with Williams.  That brought back the bowling ball in my throat, too.

[/QUOTE]

That is one of my all time favorite moments from the Sox. I didn't get to be there like you two lucky devils, but I watched it all happen. The way every single all star was trying to get close to him to shake his hand was incredible. I remember that moment between he and Gwynn also...he was making some kinds of gestures that had to do with hitting. To be a fly on that golf cart...listening in on Ted Williams and Tony Gwynn talk hitting. It'd be hard to think of two better pure hitters than those two men.

Also during the home run contest, some ESPN jamoke was trying to interview him when someone was hitting...possibly even McGuire. Williams kept getting distracted by the HRs and wasn't even really paying attention to the guy. He was a fan, and it was awesome to see him like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is one of my all time favorite moments from the Sox. I didn't get to be there like you two lucky devils, but I watched it all happen. The way every single all star was trying to get close to him to shake his hand was incredible. I remember that moment between he and Gwynn also...he was making some kinds of gestures that had to do with hitting. To be a fly on that golf cart...listening in on Ted Williams and Tony Gwynn talk hitting. It'd be hard to think of two better pure hitters than those two men.

Also during the home run contest, some ESPN jamoke was trying to interview him when someone was hitting...possibly even McGuire. Williams kept getting distracted by the HRs and wasn't even really paying attention to the guy. He was a fan, and it was awesome to see him like that.

[/QUOTE] guys that respect the game...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I remember the all-stars encircling Teddy by the mound and Teddy asking McGuire if he smelled smoke when he fouled off a fastball.

The PA announcer had to ask the players to return to their dugouts to start the game. I believe many of them would have rather  spent the 3 hours listening to Ted talk baseball. Most of us aren't bigger than life, the Splendid Splinter definitely was. 

Btw, if Ted was ever a poster on this board, most of his posts would be removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I too was at that game. when my childhood hero came out in that cart I could barely contain myself. to me he didn't look any different than when he played left field when I was about 12 or so. the way those all stars were in total awe of Ted just about had me in tears. the only bummer was the fact that his jerk son put that hitters.net white cap on his head instead of his blue red sox one. yup! the greatest left handed hitter in my lifetime. I still have my home game shirt in my closet with #9 on the back.

thanks jetes for the excellent post my friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I too was at that game. when my childhood hero came out in that cart I could barely contain myself. to me he didn't look any different than when he played left field when I was about 12 or so. the way those all stars were in total awe of Ted just about had me in tears. the only bummer was the fact that his jerk son put that hitters.net white cap on his head instead of his blue red sox one. yup! the greatest left handed hitter in my lifetime. I still have my home game shirt in my closet with #9 on the back.

thanks jetes for the excellent post my friend.

[/QUOTE] HAMMAH!!!!..where ya been bud?....good to see you :-)

Sections
Shortcuts