Fielder to Cubs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Fielder to Cubs?

Saw that on the news this morning but see nothing in MLBTR. Anyone heard that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Fielder to Cubs?

I realize most people on here tend to ignore my posts, but this was simple question.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Fielder to Cubs?:
    [QUOTE]I heard only that they were talking to him   The market for Fielder has been slow to develop until now, but look for that to change in a hurry. While there's no clear leader in the clubhouse right now, the Mariners, Cubs, Blue Jays and Rangers are all potential fits. Dec 8 - 12:25 PM Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs could land free agent first baseman Prince Fielder with a "Ryan Howard-type offer." Howard signed a five-year, $125 million extension with the Phillies last April. If the Cubs could land Fielder, who is a better player and only 27, especially in the same offseason where Albert Pujols gets over $200 million, it would be quite a coup. We have to imagine, though, that other bidders (Mariners?) would be willing to offer more than that. Olney also hints that the Brewers might not be out of it yet. Related: Cubs Source: Buster Olney on Twitter Dec 7 - 9:09 PM
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

It was on Fox this morning that he signed with the Cubbies. I thought it was odd given that the Cubs said they couldn't afford him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Looks like none of the sports pages have updated to today.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]I think we would have heard by now
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I probably heard it wrong.....I was half alseep wathing the news this morning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder if StL would be interesated in Prince.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Fielder to Cubs?:
    [QUOTE]Saw that on the news this morning but see nothing in MLBTR. Anyone heard that?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I don't tend to ignore your post, Alibike but I do tend to ignore all the rumors, ie as of yesterday, Pujols was all but guaranteed to return to the Cardinals...until he signed with the Angels. As far as Fielder, I did hear they had interest but the same could be said for several other teams. Now that Pujols has been signed, I expect the market for Fielder to heat up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

PRINCE IN 5 YEARS!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]  PRINCE IN 5 YEARS!
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but just think if he could hit RH too!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If I'm St.Lou, the Brewers, anyone looking for a 1b or a RF??????Red Sox I'm looking at Mark Trumbo. I think he's 24--had 29 dingers and almost 90 RBI. He would fit into our OF and our budget.

Imagine SL trading for Trumbo after losing Albert for $250 M--Trumbo gets the Major League mimimum.

What would the Sox have to send their way for Trumbo--how about Ranaudo or Doubrount and a prospect of their choice( within reason)?

Imagine Trumbo and Lavarnway --a couple of nice mashers for the next 5 years to go with Ells, CC, AGon and Ortiz at least for this year. Get on it LL and BC.

Kendry Morales might not be a bad pickup--Low risk high reward; they've got more talent and more talent coming up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I realize most people on here tend to ignore my posts, but this was simple question.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

The hardest thing for the Cubs, regardless of Theo and company is attraction.  If Theo signs Fielder I would be amazed but anything is possible.  The Cubs won't be a contender for years.  Does Prince really want to commit to a long term contract with little chance at the PS? 

Theo doesn't realize how good he had it when Boston picked him as GM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]  PRINCE IN 5 YEARS!
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh, he's gonna bat right handed. Good prediction.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

McMadd44: They have Bobby Abreu too. I agree Trumbo would be nice.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I live in Chicago and he top Cubs story this morning was Ian Stewart.  Fairly certain that means they didn't get Fielder....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fielder to Cubs? : The hardest thing for the Cubs, regardless of Theo and company is attraction.  If Theo signs Fielder I would be amazed but anything is possible.  The Cubs won't be a contender for years.  Does Prince really want to commit to a long term contract with little chance at the PS?  Theo doesn't realize how good he had it when Boston picked him as GM.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs signed him, they certainly have to be interested...he's the type of guy you can build a lineup around and would serve as a good foundation. The Cubs have the cash to be players if and when they decide that they have the pieces in place to contend...My guess is that short of signing the top 3 guys on the market, they might be two years away from being real players...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If they got Prince--Theo would make a push for Ells and Beckett. I think they are fairly solid up the middle plus Prince. Perhaps Theo would go all in for Darvish. Decent--not great pitching. Things would happen if Prince lands in Chicago.
    Would those moves make them possible contenders in their division? Maybe...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

I like the Trumbo idea, just don't know if he could play RF at Fenway. Most other parks he should be fine. Trumbo still high commodity for LAA though, he'll be their DH or 3B.
      Still wouldn't mind having him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]I realize most people on here tend to ignore my posts, but this was simple question.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]NOT TRUE ALBI..... I ENJOY YOUR POSTS, AS DAD WOULD SAY...... "SON, THAT ALBI GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF"  !!!  AT THIS TIME I CAN'T SAY THAT I HEARD ANYTHING.....  BEEN OUT SIDE PREPARING FOR WINTER.... OUR EXTENDED FALL IS OVER !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fielder to Cubs? : The hardest thing for the Cubs, regardless of Theo and company is attraction.  If Theo signs Fielder I would be amazed but anything is possible.  The Cubs won't be a contender for years.  Does Prince really want to commit to a long term contract with little chance at the PS?  Theo doesn't realize how good he had it when Boston picked him as GM.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

1) It really does not take much to turn a team like the Cubs around.  A lot of people probably thought the Diamondbacks wouldn't be contenders for years after they came in last in 2010.

2) I wouldn't be surprised if Fielder figures any team that puts him in the lineup will suddenly be a contender due to his presences.

3) No one has ever proved that winning is a priority over money with anyone but older players on the verge of retirement.  I constantly see "Player X wants to win and won't sign with Team Y," yet when Team Y ponies up the cash, guess who signs there?