Final Four

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Final Four

I think the four best , most deserving teams , are the ones still standing. Sox vs Tigers. Dodgers vs Cardinals. No real upsets in the Division Series. These are actually the four top teams this year. Now , it comes down to who handles the playoff pressure. It will be a test for these four clubs. It will not be easy. I like our chances. The Sox have met every challenge all year. No reason to stop now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Re: Final Four

Kind of like the good old days of baseball. Four , some would say, of the original baseball format.

A little Nostalgia creeping back into the game. Now all we need in black and white TV, daytime Baseball, and the Ole Barber doing the Play By Play on the Radio.

Terry Cashman bringing back the nicknames and singing about Ebbetts Field, the Gashouse Gang, Dizzy and Dazzy, Musial, Campy, Pee Wee and the Duke, Cobb, Greenberg, The Splinter, Pesky and Foxx.

If you aren't familiar with Terry Cashman's music he does baseball songs. I think you can get "Passin it On" on I Tunes or it may be available on Amazon--singer/ songwriter Terry Cashman--It's great album.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the four best , most deserving teams , are the ones still standing. Sox vs Tigers. Dodgers vs Cardinals. No real upsets in the Division Series. These are actually the four top teams this year. Now , it comes down to who handles the playoff pressure. It will be a test for these four clubs. It will not be easy. I like our chances. The Sox have met every challenge all year. No reason to stop now. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree the four best, most complete teams are set to square off in what should be two hotly contested LCS. I too like our chances and like every seasons championship series, it'll come down to which teams starters out duel the opponents starters and give their respective teams a chance to win and when leading late who's pen stands up to the test of protecting leads. Given that all four teams have pretty stout lineups it's not going to be easy from this point forward. 

October playoff baseball in Fenway, pinch me, how cool is that given where this team was just a calendar year ago...The park will be full of electricity from the first pitch with everyone hanging on every pitch...Let's play ball!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A certain symmetry about these four, all of whom have spent over 100 years in the Majors and even longer as part of American history.  Over 210 years ago Lewis and Clark launched the Corps of Discovery from St Louis, a thriving town of 5000, and returned their three years later.  Fort Detroit figured in the French and Indian Wars, which preceded the American Revolution.  LA has homes which are over 25 years old--see the movie LA Story.  And the original Dodgers came from some city on the east coast.  As for the other club, their local citizenry seem to think their fair city has some connection to American history.

All four teams have good attendance and pretty good payrolls, although the Cardinals are the most efficient, if that is the right word.  Two, Sox and Dodgers, are coming back from losing seasons, and the two have recently been to or won the WS. Thus both the NLCS and the ALCS will have a resurgent team going against a returning team. 

The LA/Boston megadeal of 2012 is a good story all by itself.

All four teams have good hitting and pitching even though right now the Tigers look the toughest on the mound and the Sox the best at bat.  However, the Dodgers, it should be noted, also scored 26 runs in 4 games and against the Braves, a better team than the Rays. 

Last night I watched big chunks of the Tigers win over the A's, and I expect to watch most or all of the NLCS.  It helps that my team has skin in the game.  Verlander, I have to admit, looks incredibly good right now.  He is mixing in breaking balls, but still has a very good fastball that is in the 94-97 mph range, combined with very good control and poise.  The A's beat him once (actually the Tigers bullpen) by holding the Tigers to 0 runs, but I doubt the Sox can do that.  Meanwhile Carl Crawford with 3 dingers against the Cardinals is looking like he is worth all of that insane contract. 

In short, it's looking like a very good postseason for MLB. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

good point about this final four.  i feel like it's been awhile since there wasnt a wildcard team in the CS or WS....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like the Sox chances, especially facing 4 righty starters.

We have 8 players with an OPS over .800 vs RHPs with only Pedey and Middy with low numbers this year.

I'm not worried about Pedey, and Middy's second half numbers dwarf his first half.

Tough call on the4 game 2 starter. A case could be made for Peavy, Lackey or Buch. I'm kind of leaning towards going...

Lester-Peavy-Buch-Lack-Lest-Peavy-Buch

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the Sox chances, especially facing 4 righty starters.

We have 8 players with an OPS over .800 vs RHPs with only Pedey and Middy with low numbers this year.

I'm not worried about Pedey, and Middy's second half numbers dwarf his first half.

Tough call on the4 game 2 starter. A case could be made for Peavy, Lackey or Buch. I'm kind of leaning towards going...

Lester-Peavy-Buch-Lack-Lest-Peavy-Buch

[/QUOTE]

Moon, I'm surprised Softy hasn't changed to removing WMB and inserting Xander at third and leaving Drew and Pedroia as the double play combo ? Budget wise they are both making minimum, I think--no loss-no gain---Softy? Or do we just want to remove Drew and his $9.5?

WMB has played well in the field but has appeared confused against some very good pitching. Good pitching will do that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

This is one of the best final fours I have seen in a while.  There is really no favorite or underdog.

Sections
Shortcuts