final piece

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: final piece

In Response to Re: final piece:
    [QUOTE]If Sox are unsuccessful in getting Oswalt or Jackson I would look again at Gavin Floyd and Wandy Rodriguez. Yes this will take them into the Luxury Tax area however you then have the luxury of keeping  both Aceves and Bard in the pen. I could see the Sox going for a mini blockbuster with the White Sox who will not be going anyplace in the Central now with Prince in the Central and the improvement of the Royals and the Indians : Floyd, Ramirez, Thornton, Lilibridge and $15 M in exchange for Doubrount, Iggy, Brandon Jacobs, Bowden and Melancon. Then make the trade for Wandy which should not take many prospects unless the Astros are willing to eat a lot of money. Perhaps Ceccini and Britton would do it to shave off $6 M year one.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

If you want a blockbuster, take this...

(Jenks, $6M saved, to Cubs for Theo comp)

Then...

To Chicago:
    Crawford ($20.3M AVV)  $122M/6
    Lackey ($16.5M AVV) $61M/4 (5 years with injury claue)
    Dice-K  ($8.3M AVV)  12:$10M
    Salty, Middlebrooks, Tejada, Bowden, & Exposito.
    Total: (45M AVV)   $193M 

To Boston:
    Jake Peavy ($17.3M AVV)  12:$17M, 13:$22M club option ($4M buyout)
    Alex Rios (10M AVV) 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M,15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)
    Gavin Floyd ($3.9M AVV) 12:$7M, 13:$9.5M club option
    Jesse Crain ($4.3M AVV) 12:$4.5M, 13:$4.5M
    Matt Thorton ($6M AVV) 12:$5.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$6M club option ($1M buyout)
    Total: ($41M AVV) $97M (assuming Floyd option picked up)

Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: final piece : How's come the Red Sox get all the good players and $15 million while the White Sox get the undesirable (or less desirable) players? Gavin Floyd (3.6), Alexi Ramirez (4.9), Matt Thorton (1.6) and Brent Lillibridge (1.3) combined for 11.4 WAR* last season. Felix Doubront contributed a negative 0.1 WAR, Michael Bowden 0.0 WAR, Mark Melancon 0.8 WAR and Jose Iglesias negative 0.2 WAR while Brandon Jacobs was lighting it up at Single A. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Think it might be posible that the WAR is unbalanced because all the players the Sox gave up except Melancon spent nearly all of 2011 in the minor leagues?  Might as well complain about the lopsided-ness of dealing Sergio Santos (1.6 WAR) for Nestor Molina (0.0  WAR).

It's a ridiculous deal, but let's shoot it down for the proper reasons... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: final piece : How's come the Red Sox get all the good players and $15 million while the White Sox get the undesirable (or less desirable) players? Gavin Floyd (3.6), Alexi Ramirez (4.9), Matt Thorton (1.6) and Brent Lillibridge (1.3) combined for 11.4 WAR* last season. Felix Doubront contributed a negative 0.1 WAR, Michael Bowden 0.0 WAR, Mark Melancon 0.8 WAR and Jose Iglesias negative 0.2 WAR while Brandon Jacobs was lighting it up at Single A. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Good call hill, my reasoning was the White Sox, seeing Prince in Detroit and the improvement in other team and reading they might be looking to unload payroll, my thought went to the need for a starting pitcher, an established SS, a pretty good pen arm and a young outfielder. Since we need some cash---I added a few bucks.

Giving up Doubrount, Iggy, Bowden, Jacobs, Melancon--maybe another top five prospect would be helpful.

Personally, I like Moon's trade, it has more bells and whistles and does what a "Blockbuster Trade"  is partially designed to do, change the face of the org. For the White Sox it doesn't reduce their finances that much and for the Sox they would have to move Beckett to get back down to the Lux Tax line. I'm all for moving Beckett and I like the inclusion of Rios--I think he would be reborn in Boston; he's really a talent that has been dormant for a couple of years.

Big trades are exciting--everyone in the org. gets involved and feels a little ownership.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Personally, I like Moon's trade, it has more bells and whistles and does what a "Blockbuster Trade"  is partially designed to do, change the face of the org. 

It was a lark.

For the White Sox it doesn't reduce their finances that much and for the Sox they would have to move Beckett to get back down to the Lux Tax line. 

Not really. We'd save about $6M on the tax limit budget, and with the loss of Jenks, we could afford Papi and Beckett. Also, whil the White Sox do add salary, they actually break even in 2012 salary, but afterwards have only 2 players to pay: Lackey and CC, who are better than Peavey and Rios. As expensive as CC is, he's better to build a future on than Rios.

I'm all for moving Beckett and I like the inclusion of Rios--I think he would be reborn in Boston; he's really a talent that has been dormant for a couple of years.

Big trades are exciting--everyone in the org. gets involved and feels a little ownership.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: final piece : If you want a blockbuster, take this... (Jenks, $6M saved, to Cubs for Theo comp) Then... To Chicago: Crawford ($20.3M AVV)  $122M/6 Lackey ($16.5M AVV) $61M/4 (5 years with injury claue) Dice-K  ($8.3M AVV)   12 : $10M Salty, Middlebrooks, Tejada, Bowden, & Exposito. Total: ( 45M AVV )   $193M  To Boston: Jake Peavy ($17.3M AVV)   12 :$17M,  13 :$22M club option ($4M buyout) Alex Rios (10M AVV)  12 :$12M,  13 :$12.5M,  14 :$12.5M, 15 :$13.5M club option ($1M buyout) Gavin Floyd ($3.9M AVV)   12 :$7M,  13 :$9.5M club option Jesse Crain ($4.3M AVV)   12 :$4.5M,  13 :$4.5M Matt Thorton ($6M AVV)   12 :$5.5M,  13 :$5.5M,  14 :$6M club option ($1M buyout) Total: ( $41M AVV ) $97M (assuming Floyd option picked up)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

At least this thread was not entitled "a realistic look at 2012".....